2022 Winter Olympics: Pairs Free Skate | Page 63 | Golden Skate

2022 Winter Olympics: Pairs Free Skate

LadyB

Record Breaker
I'm so old I can remember Rodnina & Zaitsev using the last music for M/G.
Me too. They were my childhood heroes. I have a different opinion about Rodnina now. But even as the crush hasl ong gone, seeing Sasha Zaitsev live at Rostelecom 2016 was still a really weird and exciting moment for me. :)

whatif

Medalist
T/M were just fine with their interpretation of the music they chose for their skate. What do you expect them to mimic S/H, who were also just fine. People making it look like they saw Trusova on the ice again.

labgoat

Working on Costumes contest & REWATCHES
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don’t think she will. She said months before the Olympics that beating S/H in China would be very difficult. I think she knows she has two pairs for the future in her hands. And maybe their time is not now but forward. (Did you see what I did there?)
I love what you did there.

I thought Madame Moskvina said she was going to take some time off to live a bit and retire from full time coaching. I did feel her choice of music was rather odd - perhaps a bid for funding of her skaters after she steps aside. I may be wrong about this and sure will miss her if she steps aside. Poor woman she lost her husband not that long ago and never really had the proper time to mourn him.

SNAKSuyun

did it spark joy?
On the Ice
Country
China
Ironically, in the end, I think the programs that touched me the most were the ones from the third group... Riku and Ryuichi, Alexa and Brandon, Ashley and Tim, and Peng/Jin. The final group, I think, skated with too much pressure and thus was tighter, which is very understandable. I felt like for both S/H and T/M, the shorts were better. I also think I'd be able to enjoy S/H and T/M's free skates more on rewatch, since I was just doing the math woman meme the entire time in real time thinking about the BV and GOEs...

Kittosuni

Medalist
I don’t think she will. She said months before the Olympics that beating S/H in China would be very difficult. I think she knows she has two pairs for the future in her hands. And maybe their time is not now but forward. (Did you see what I did there?)
Moskovina is retiring after this season and Minchuk is taking over the whole group so this olympics is technically her swan song.

readernick

Medalist
T/M were just fine with their interpretation of the music they chose for their skate. What do you expect them to mimic S/H, who were also just fine. People making it look like they saw Trusova on the ice again.
No one thinks that. They are a beautiful team. However, they don't necessarily ever bring emotional impact. No one thinks they should be getting 7s just a bit less than S/H in some PCS categories. But, not in SS which is ironically the category they lost.
The team that was overscored in PCS was M/G.

labgoat

Working on Costumes contest & REWATCHES
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No one thinks that. They are a beautiful team. However, they don't necessarily ever bring emotional impact. No one thinks they should be getting 7s just a bit less than S/H in some PCS categories. But, not in SS which is ironically the category they lost
I think they are a more reserved and cerebral team full of beautiful and elegant lines. They are the crystal vase of the event.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
despite no medals in figure skating, Canada is at 25... with perhaps 2 more in bob... we will see... but it has been a roller coaster with lots of 4-5th places... and sports like male hockey or curling not providing much or at all... where Canada usually does well...
I was hoping to see Canada rebound but MTM seem lost. Eric and Vanessa never fulfilled the promise especilly artistically. So sad to see this in skating mind you after hearing the Canadian hockey team sing ladies maaybe there is a reason Canada doesnt deserve gold. I wasnt sure if this was a Roseanne Barr moment. Oh dear pitch pitch pitch. But Canada other than the team event had no one in top five and two in top ten. Thats it. They will have to rebound at worlds.The pairs i hope will both go and regroup because Trennt and Evelyn wont cut it. Canadaa should be fighting with the US and japan not losing to Spain.

LittleLotte29

Record Breaker
Moskovina is retiring after this season and Minchuk is taking over the whole group so this olympics is technically her swan song.
It's the 19817272 time she said she was going to retire so yeah 😅 I don't think she's be able to just enjoy long days of doing nothing after being so active for so many decades.

SNAKSuyun

did it spark joy?
On the Ice
Country
China
No one thinks that. They are a beautiful team. However, they don't necessarily ever bring emotional impact. No one thinks they should be getting 7s just a bit less than S/H in some PCS categories. But, not in SS which is ironically the category they lost.
The team that was overscored in PCS was M/G.
I mean, the fact that T/M had the highest PCS of the night and everyone has just been "understandable, have a great day" pretty much also proves this :coffee: esp when T/M hits, they are among the very best and we recognize them as such