Ladies sp | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Ladies sp

casken

On the Ice
I watched the replay back and it looked to me like Kim's flip took off on a flat, which I think is ok. It didn't look lipped to me.

Miki seems to still be doing lower level laybacks. I guess it still hurts her back. That's probably where Kim made up points.

I'm still curious as to what other than the combo Flatt lost points on.

ks777

Record Breaker
Flatt's triple/triple as apparently underrotated. As for Yu-na, someone over at FSU just chimed in to say that Yu-na was dominating. Apparently her speed and ice coverage was light years ahead of anyone else's. That she reached every inch and corner of the rink and it was amazing to see.

That someone must be Bek, the biggest Yuna fan.

fiercemao

Match Penalty
Yu Na Kim was so overscored. I guess ISU has to kiss Korean federation's *** under difficult economic environment as Korea and very few other countries are still willing to host international competitions.

Flatt is just flat. Her skating apparently does nothing to the audience and judges.

Mirai's Toe Loop - Does she cheat the take offs by pointing the toe rake almost forward instead of in back? Otherwise, she was fine but not special, imo.

YuNa skates with such speed and abandon. She deserves a bonus for her non-stop approach to the elements.

Miki was fine. Is she still with Morozov? She uses her arms a lot - not always to my liking.

Yukari was vey good except for the boo boo.

I thought Rachael was in the wrong group, but she skated quite well.

I also liked Mira Leung (for the first time) and Tugba.

feraina

Record Breaker
I did feel Yukari and Miki were a little underscored, and Yu-na over-scored. I would've given Yukari around 60, Miki in the low 60's, and Yu-na in the high 60's. It's like Mirai in the last National's, she was best but not best ever best, and not *so* much better than the others in the SP that she was virtually guaranteed a win.

Yukari skated delightfully with wonderful choreography and the best spins. Miki had great jumps and fast spins, with a hint of delicacy in her expression that I hadn't really seen before. It's such a shame that they have such a distance to cover to reach Yu-na, and so little cushion ahead of the Americans.

I guess I actually agree with all the placements, just not the exact scores. Mirai had no expression until she finished all the jumps and a spin, when she got into the footwork section. She looked a bit mechanical concentrating so hard on her jumps. Rachael also seemed a little nervous, erring on the opening jump combo that she probably would be very strong on at home. I also thought that her choreography was slightly bland compared to the latter skaters. Don't get me wrong, I think these young skaters are extremely talented, and they have most of the technical goods. But it's not surprising that they're a little lacking in competitive nerves or presentation maturity.

As for Kimmie, oh, that was really heart-breaking to see the fall on the 3F. She really looks *so* much happier now, which is great to see. And her jumps did look stronger, especially the 3Z (though better in warm-up than program) and the 2A (though she fell on it in the practice, ironically). Her spins are faster, more powerful, and her arms look so much softer and more expressive. Except for a brief moment during her COE spiral, I almost forgot about her airplane arms. :p

But I feel like she's almost concentrating a little *too* hard on being happy and showing that happiness (which definitely did come across). I worry a little that maybe she's thinking that most of her problems would go away if only she got her confidence back, because she has real technical issues too, like the 3F.

turtle

On the Ice
I'm still curious as to what other than the combo Flatt lost points on.

Rachel was lovely but to me she was just too slow. Mirai seemed very nervous and could have done a much better job artistically. But at least she was fast, faster than most, and very crisp with her movements.

fourclover

On the Ice
I watched the replay back and it looked to me like Kim's flip took off on a flat, which I think is ok. It didn't look lipped to me.

Yu-na has a tendency to do a straight edge take-off. Even Dick Button pointed that out - her fierce critic - that it's not inside nor outside but straight. Unless she does an obvious LIP she won't get an edge call like Mao who did a very obvious inside edge FLUTZ.

MissIzzy

Final Flight

In other words, anyone who suggests any reason the judging might not be one huge rigged sham absolutely *must* be lying?
I think the judges definitely did get a little carried away here, but honestly, I would expect any biased judging to favor the Japanese; they'd give more money in the long term.

bekalc

Record Breaker

Since I'm Bek, and I'm not there. NO. But for the record, I like Mao Asada almost equally to Yu-na, and I like Mirai a lot as well.

I also said on that board that I want to understand Miki's scores because I thought the seemed low in light of the score Nakano got. The only explanation has to be that Ando's triple/triple was downgraded. As for Rachael, the only expalanation for her low tech score 30 has to be a downgrade too, because unlesss her levels are off normally skaters get around 35 when they have triple triples.

did feel Yukari and Miki were a little underscored, and Yu-na over-scored. I would've given Yukari around 60

I think Miki was underscored but I don't think Yukari was. Yukari did a double lutz. That's a huge error and I thought a 57 was really generous when you count in that mistake.

Last edited:

ks777

Record Breaker
Since I'm Bek, and I'm not there. NO. But for the record, I like Mao Asada almost equally to Yu-na, and I like Mirai a lot as well.

I also said on that board that I want to understand Miki's scores because I thought the seemed low in light of the score Nakano got. The only explanation has to be that Ando's triple/triple was downgraded. As for Rachael, the only expalanation for her low tech score 30 has to be a downgrade too, because unlesss her levels are off normally skaters get around 35 when they have triple triples.

Yes, I knew you were Bek. I was just being sarcastic.

lmarie086

Medalist
Can't remember who posted about it but I would agree that Yu-Na's speed and ice coverage was far superior to everyone except for maybe Miki.

Surprised that I enjoyed Miki actually, because I usually don't. If not for that silly fall it was quite lovely. My only complaint about the program is the front-loadding...

Kimmie-My internet went out during her program (including when she fell) but I see a vast improvement. Spins have better positions, well centered for the most part, and there is a softer quality to her skating. Really enjoyed it.

Mirai-Very charming SP! I agree with whoever said that she was a bit mechanical as she worked through the jumps but she came to life after that.

Rachel-I've tried to like her skating. It just doesn't do anything for me.

oleada

Record Breaker
Yu-Na was so clearly superior to everyone else. Aside from the double axel, that was an incredible short program.

I can't believe Miki fell in her steps..again! I thought she was underscored :(

Rachael was zzzzzzzzzz. That program does her no favors. Mirai was tentative but her spins and quality of movement are far superior to Flatt's. Kimmie has improved her presentation so much.

The biggest WTF to me was Yukari - who I usually like - was bleh and I thought she was too close to Miki.

McWicked

On the Ice
As for Kimmie, oh, that was really heart-breaking to see the fall on the 3F. She really looks *so* much happier now, which is great to see. And her jumps did look stronger, especially the 3Z (though better in warm-up than program) and the 2A (though she fell on it in the practice, ironically). Her spins are faster, more powerful, and her arms look so much softer and more expressive. Except for a brief moment during her COE spiral, I almost forgot about her airplane arms. :p

But I feel like she's almost concentrating a little *too* hard on being happy and showing that happiness (which definitely did come across). I worry a little that maybe she's thinking that most of her problems would go away if only she got her confidence back, because she has real technical issues too, like the 3F.

Kimmie's way back to the podium is really takin a step by step in... turtles steps. Im glad we have Rachel and Mirai as back up. I think there's no chances Kimmie's goin to the grand prix final this year, a real shame. Her comeback should peak in the same competition last season was like a curse

szidon

On the Ice
I don't remember

Yu-na has a tendency to do a straight edge take-off. Even Dick Button pointed that out - her fierce critic - that it's not inside nor outside but straight. Unless she does an obvious LIP she won't get an edge call like Mao who did a very obvious inside edge FLUTZ.

Please let me know when Dick pointed out Yuna's filp jump.
As far as I remember, Dick always praised her jumps.

I was very shocked when Miki fell in the middel of the step sequence. I think that fall must have affected her PCS.
But she showed her revival this season. I expect that Miki could be scored better in the LP.

After seeing Mirai's SP, I thought she could have been scored much higher if she had not been injured. She knows how to attract the audience right away. Hopefully she will recover as soon as possible.

Yuna, Yuna, Yuna...Yuna showed what figure skating was meant to be. Skating skills, textbook jumping techniques, the way she feels the music, the expression from the bottom of her heart...Wow!

Last edited:

ks777

Record Breaker
In other words, anyone who suggests any reason the judging might not be one huge rigged sham absolutely *must* be lying?
I think the judges definitely did get a little carried away here, but honestly, I would expect any biased judging to favor the Japanese; they'd give more money in the long term.

well, that's not true. I don't know if you are familiar with "short track speed skating"? Korea is dominating in that event and short track speed skating is very popular there. Korea brings tons of money to the ISU.

enlight78

Medalist
I agree with the scores. Miki lost about ten points do to downgrade triple/triple and the fall. YuNa's personal best is about 72. take away two points for the botched axel and one for the lip and you have 69. No overscoring. Once again the girls that fully rotate their jumps will be rewarded. Also Yuna had twice as much speed and ice coverage than an;yone else

skateaug

Rinkside
Yu-Na was so overscored. Not only did she nearly fall, but her flip is clearly a lip. She shouldn't be that far ahead of Ando.

What do you mean? Yu-na's flip is NOT a lip.

Check this video. Japanese broadcasting about Yu-na's correct take-off edge
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R4B8QIG6UE

This takeoff edge can often look like a flat. In the flip, the skater is taking off from a back inside edge. There is a firm “hook” on the edge just before a flip leaves the ice which looks a great deal like a backwards
http://www.essortment.com/all/figureskatingf_rhlp.htm

If a LFO3 is used, the turn must be very flat so the skater is not gliding on a deep curve before picking. A straight preparatory sequence contributes to control of the jump, and distance and height in the air.
http://www.skatejournal.com/jump.html

Last edited: