Ladies sp | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Ladies sp

McWicked

On the Ice
kimmie: her dress looks so much like yuna's short program dress from last year. she had a really cute delicate double-strand gold necklace on, hmmmm wonder where i can find one like it? ha. as for her skating, she did have a fall but she looks so much more confident and improved compared to last year. other than that though, i don't think she is ever going to really be the top contender in figure skating anymore, on the international stage. airplane arms, still there (though somewhat improved). spirals blah. spins blah. she seems like a really nice girl and has a lovely smile but i dunno if she can compete with all these new girls.

I agree, though it makes me sad :cry:

skateage

Spectator
ugly lip jumper

STOP Yu-Na KIM's OVERSCORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BOOOOOOOOOBOOOOOOOOOOOBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
:disagree::disagree::disagree:

Medusa

Record Breaker
Yu-Na was incredible - so much power, speed... Very charming, very musical, great elements. And she didn't get that much more points on PCS (just 2 points more than Miki) - she outskated everyone on the TES. There are lots of male skaters who would kill for that TES.

camion

On the Ice
Yu-Na, by far had the best presentation skills & sp. I would say she was slightly overscored because she her flip was a lip, but I saw better overall extension and toe point- she still needs to stop hooking her foot in her spirals though.

I also really liked Miki's conservative program. Layback spin needs a lot more work. She should have gotten a higher score because I think she was way better than Yukari even w/the stumble. I didn't really care for Yukari's program & I hated her costume. I think both Rachael & Mirai had a great GP debut. Maybe Rachael should have been placed higher than Mirai because of her jump errors, but I liked Mirai's short better. I think Rachael needs to work on arching her back & putting her shoulders behind more because she has a naturally round back. Mirai on the other hand, should lower her arms more because I've noticed that she has really square shoulders so at times she looks like she's hunched up & has no neck.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I agree that Yuna was overscored. But I totally enjoyed this fantastic performance. I am very happy for her.

I felt that the score difference bet. Yukari and Miki could have been larger. Miki has much better quality jumps than Yukari and she even did 3z-3r whereas Yukari only did 3-2 and missed 3Z.

I love Yukari's costume. It was very elegant. Beautiful colors and nice soft texture. Very classy. I think it nice that she uses the fluffy sleeves. Her elbows could be sometimes too straight. But this design makes her arms look softer. I also love her blueish eyeshadow. But I always wish that her designer used some skin-color cloth to cover her chest and neck. If I were Yukari, I wouldn't find it comfortable to do spirals and donut spin without it.

I am glad that Miki's jumps and speed were back. This was such a good start for her. It's really interesting to see how she goes up and down every year. I did not find her costume very flattering on her. I do not think that bluish, bright pink is a right color for her skin tone and atmosphere. She looks much better in deep red etc, IMO. The overall designs of her costumes have also tended to look too decorative since she started to work with Morosov.

I am sorry for Rachael for 3-3 and Lutz edge; her 3-3 looked very solid in her practices though.

I think that Mirai scored okay considering how she excuted all of the jumps.

ETA: Miki's 3-3 was downgraded, which partially explains the narrow difference between Yukari and Miki.

Last edited:

gold12345

Medalist
kimmie: her dress looks so much like yuna's short program dress from last year. she had a really cute delicate double-strand gold necklace on, hmmmm wonder where i can find one like it? ha. as for her skating, she did have a fall but she looks so much more confident and improved compared to last year. other than that though, i don't think she is ever going to really be the top contender in figure skating anymore, on the international stage. airplane arms, still there (though somewhat improved). spirals blah. spins blah. she seems like a really nice girl and has a lovely smile but i dunno if she can compete with all these new girls.

I'm not going to judge yet. After all, Kimmie fell tonight and the judges put her in a virtual tie with Rachael who skated very well aside from the under rotated 3/3. I think Kimmie can definitely compete for a World team berth, which is a huge accomplishment in itself. It's still early in the season and her time with Callaghan/Eldredge still has been pretty short. She has more time to learn and improve.

*Sniper*

On the Ice
I'm not going to judge yet. After all, Kimmie fell tonight and the judges put her in a virtual tie with Rachael who skated very well aside from the under rotated 3/3. I think Kimmie can definitely compete for a World team berth, which is a huge accomplishment in itself. It's still early in the season and her time with Callaghan/Eldredge still has been pretty short. She has more time to learn and improve.

I'm done waiting for Kimmie's SP to show up on Youtube tonight.
Guess I'll check back tomorrow.

I'm glad to hear that she appears to be back on track.
The best of luck in LP.

gourry

Final Flight
Just came back from Comcast Arena.

I liked Rachael and Mirai's programs but they both looked somewhat tensed. Mirai didn't have step in front of her triple. Rachael flutzed and downgraded I guess. That explains their scores in my opinion.

Yukari.... She doubled her triple and her step was slow.... Honestly I felt her score was a bit overmarked compared to Rachael or Mirai.
Well, when I saw her score the first thing came to my mind was this: her Worlds' performance really boosting her PCS!

Miki... I like her program except front-loading. Up until the fall in her step, it was very good. After that fall she looked like she lost intensity a bit though. I felt her score could be higher.

Yuna... believe me, you gotta see this yourself. Her flow, her speed, her expression, Just breath-taking.
Anyway her best scored SP program is 2007 Worlds SP. Let's say it scored 72.
Well, her spiral is definitely better now. Her spins seem similar or better. Step looks better(or should I say looks more difficult?) To me her flip didn't look like lip.
Her 2A usually gets around +0.6 GOE. Here she probably got -2 for her step out and hand down so it seems safe to assume she lost approximately -2.6 here.
So, 69.something didn't really upset me at all.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I think Rachael needs to work on arching her back & putting her shoulders behind more because she has a naturally round back. Mirai on the other hand, should lower her arms more because I've noticed that she has really square shoulders so at times she looks like she's hunched up & has no neck.

Agreed. I feel that some ppl have to do extra work to overcome the naturally given body lines.

I agree that Rachael seems to have naturally round back/shoulder. She also has a bit round arms, unlike some other super-skinny girls. But I think that she streches herself very well. Despite these, she presents very good lines as she skates.

I did not notice Mirai's shoulders. But I did feel that her neck was kind of short when I first saw her skate as a very young girl two years ago. I feel she has a longer neck than before although I do not know if this is because she has grown up, becuase she has gotten a better posture, or simply because her costume designs have changed. In any case, she's trained in ballet for a long time and her posture has basically been very good.

I wonder if Yukari's knees during her spirals are as straight as they could be given her natural leg lines or she could strech a bit more. I have a friend who dances ballet, but her legs are naturally bending a bit so that it's kind of hard for her to make her legs look really straight.

szidon

On the Ice
frustrating...

Yu-Na, by far had the best presentation skills & sp. I would say she was slightly overscored because she her flip was a lip, but I saw better overall extension and toe point- she still needs to stop hooking her foot in her spirals though.

I also really liked Miki's conservative program. Layback spin needs a lot more work. She should have gotten a higher score because I think she was way better than Yukari even w/the stumble. I didn't really care for Yukari's program & I hated her costume. I think both Rachael & Mirai had a great GP debut. Maybe Rachael should have been placed higher than Mirai because of her jump errors, but I liked Mirai's short better. I think Rachael needs to work on arching her back & putting her shoulders behind more because she has a naturally round back. Mirai on the other hand, should lower her arms more because I've noticed that she has really square shoulders so at times she looks like she's hunched up & has no neck.

Yuna's flip is perfect.
You don't believe Arakawa, Miki, Paul Wylie, Susie Wynne, Tracy Wilson and even Dick Button...:no:

Actually it's very frustrating to see a young talented skater unfairly dishonored by malicious deceit.
Please remember we are here to love and acknowledge young athletes, not to dishonor skaters based on fabrication.

Last edited:

skates

Rinkside
Mirai's dress reminds me of Caroline's spanish gypsy one, the white fading into black.

Last edited:

feraina

Record Breaker
Mirai's dress reminds me of Carolines spanish gypsy one, the white fading into black.

Yes, I know. I was thinking the same, with the skirt fading from white to darker shades of gray. And even the top part, even though the pattern is different, the theme is very similar: black, white, and gray, with dashes of red.

By the way, Kimmie for the first time moved me during her program -- just gave me that emotional, touchy-feely moment toward the end of her step sequence. :p Her programs never moved me in this way before. I really like her LP music, too. I think if she can skate all the elements well, and be expressive of the music, then it might be the first program of hers that I really love.

Vincero

Rinkside
Kimmie's SP:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GQ2kwROWDU

I really liked the combination spin where she pulled down to a kind of crouching/curled up position from the half-Biellman. And her catchfoot (albeit brief) was quite nice too.

Regarding her layback, I think her main problem is actually her arms. She has OK/decent backbend; I think if she doesn't bend her arms so much and hold them up higher (I'm not sure how to say this, but her arms look really far apart as if holding a beach ball), it would look a lot better.

Last edited: