So Is Brian Joubert Now Going To Complain About.... | Page 4 | Golden Skate

So Is Brian Joubert Now Going To Complain About....

Buttercup

Record Breaker
He's i think the Junior worlds men's gold medalist from usa.

Not to excuse anyone but when chan was in the juniors we never heard any remarks either.
Adam Rippon is indeed the two-time reigning junior World champion, and a medal threat for 2014, alongside Denis Ten, Michal Brezina and some other people from juniors (there's a Japanese kid, Hanyu, who has lots of potential but is only 14, so maybe he's more of a medal contender for 2018 ;)). Ten's new PB is amazing for such a young skater. He should be really proud of his achievement.

Rippon skated senior GPs this season; he was third in the CoR SP and there are or at least were bits of the post-SP press conference on Youtube, with him alongside Joubert and Verner. Everyone seemed to be friendly there.

I've seen the article Mathman's quoting from, or at least one similar to it, and let's just say there are even less appealing bits from Chan re the events of the last few days. But I promised to drop the subject, so I'll stick with that decision.

i love to skate

Medalist
There is a great interview with Patrick on the CBC website where he states he regrets the comments he made, it was a spur of the moment situation and one which he will learn from in the future, he also said it was a great lesson to learn.

Thanks for the info on Adam Rippon!

Hikaru

Final Flight
Oh Patrick, why are you still kicking Brian even when he's down?

For that matter, I really wonder why he isn't (rightfully) also complaining about the fact that Evan's PCS was substantially higher than his. All this Brian-bashing just makes him look worse and worse.

Agree with you. At this point, I don't care how great a skater he is, he is turning me off his skating with that attituted.

figuristka

Medalist
There is a great interview with Patrick on the CBC website where he states he regrets the comments he made, it was a spur of the moment situation and one which he will learn from in the future, he also said it was a great lesson to learn.

Thanks for the info on Adam Rippon!
Well its certainly not the first time a skater makes remarks they regret later, as they realize after it may have been taken negatively. Hope he learns from it, iam sure he will. Most will agree with him not recieving high enough in most of his PCS's however he could have remarked about it in a better way, or not commented and let someone else from the Canadian camp do it. He is right , but should handle it more carefully.

...Most will agree with him not recieving high enough in most of his PCS's however he could have remarked about it in a better way, or not commented and let someone else from the Canadian camp do it. He is right , but should handle it more carefully.

That is why I blame the Canadian Skating Federation for not giving their skater better advice and support. They let him hang out there twisting in the wind (wind of his own blowing, to be sure, but still...)

Cooler heads should have prevailed and shifted the emphasis towards a reccomendation that the ISU judging seminars seriously address the question of just how the Transitions" and "Choreography" components should be scored. Instead of making it seem like an attack on the character of an individual skater, Joubert.

Last edited:

screech

Final Flight
Well its certainly not the first time a skater makes remarks they regret later, as they realize after it may have been taken negatively. Hope he learns from it, iam sure he will. Most will agree with him not recieving high enough in most of his PCS's however he could have remarked about it in a better way, or not commented and let someone else from the Canadian camp do it. He is right , but should handle it more carefully.

He's learned from his mistakes, just as it seems Brian has from last year. This year most people are on Brian's side of the 'attacks' (with his diplomatic remarks) whereas last year most were against his comments. Maybe Patrick will really learn from his inexperienced mistakes and become great at expressing his opinion honestly without hurting others.

And I'm a Patrick fan (I like Brian but don't get his scores) but even I've been :no::sheesh::unsure::eek::confused::banging::disapp: at his remarks. (and yes, all of those).

jettasian

Match Penalty
Actually Wrlmy Chan can be labelled as a sore loser, because he made similar comments after the short program. So sore loser is Chan.....

How can that be a sore loser? He was clearly under-marked. Everyone knew that. Chan should have bitched more about the judging. NO WAY his PCS marks were lower than Jourbert and Lysacks! He got robbed for the gold, and that has cost Canada a spot in Olympic!

Last edited:

jettasian

Match Penalty
Last time I checked Evan is a world Champion, and Brian Joubert is a world champion. But Patrick Chan is not a world champion. Patrick should be thanking his lucky stars that Brian did not skate the way he was capable of skating.

Last time I checked, this is Chan's second year...how many years have those 2 men been to the world?
If it wasn't for the disgusting judging in his short program, he could have won the gold.

screech

Final Flight
Or if a serious mistake is made, that score should be 'dropped.'

But it isn't just 1 judge. I agree that Joubert is better on the performance aspect of skating thatn Patrick with his audience relations. And they are probably about equal (but on different aspects) at skating skills, but my opinion is that Patrick surpasses him on transitions, choreography and interpretation.

I don't think those kinds of remarks should be made though. I think that after the event the ISU should distribute surveys to the skaters, coaches and judges. Not about personal marks, but to answer questions about the judging in general, what changes they think should be taken into consideration, etc. And also include general questions about the event (including venue, scheduling, etc). Multiple choice questions or ones on a scale from 1-5, etc. Then these things could be taken into consideration and changes could be made.

Of course, the same survey whould have to be done in about 5 bajillion languages, but it would be a good way to see what they could work on.

Last time I checked, this is Chan's second year...how many years have those 2 men been to the world?
If it wasn't for the disgusting judging in his short program, he could have won the gold.
I'm a big Chan fan, but I think Evan should have been 1st in the SP and Patrick 2nd. Patrick was great but his skating was tight and not quite as enjoyable as usual. He let his nervousness come through.

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Evan Lysacek first went to Worlds in 2005, and won a medal. He repeated this achievement the next season - and that was a very good year in the men's event. His lowest placement at Worlds is 5th. Brian Joubert has been on the Worlds podium four years in a row and five of the last six.

jettasian, every single post you have written appears to be about how awful Joubert is, how awesome Chan is, how the judges are/were wuzrobbing Chan, or all of the above. Are there any other topics in figure skating that are of interest to you? Denis Ten's fantastic debut? Yu-Na's record breaking SP? V/M getting a medal in the dance? Oksana Domnina's new hair color? Anything? Because this is really getting to be repetitive and you are not making a very strong argument.

figuristka

Medalist
No, judges made mistakes should be banned for life!
That would be a bit harsh. While i do wonder how judges can miss such things as transition, and choreography, etc. I got just as far as working on the silver level compulsory dances in the past and can clearly see the difference between the skaters. i understand that a judge can make a mistake but clearly judging the PCS needs work.

astimegoesby

On the Ice
There is a huge difference between what Brian did last year and what Patrick is saying.

And to me, the difference is I interpreted Patrick's remarks as sticking up for himself and his (former) teammate Jeff (although I agree Patrick could have chosen more tactful words to do so...and it sounds like Patrick himself would agree in hindsight). Whereas I thought Brian came across as kind of a playground bully picking on Jeff, Patrick, and any other skaters who may not have quads, but who certainly have everything else in between.

And however you may feel about Patrick's comments, at least he was able to put his money where his mouth is and skate to the best of his ability on the ice. Brian...not so much. He may have nailed the quad, but not only were many of his other jumps not there, the rest of his performance was very lackluster, and frankly, I think Brian was very lucky to be back on the podium this year. If either Nobunari Oda or Jeremy Abbott (both of whom I thought skated much stronger LPs than Joubert or Tomas Verner) had placed higher after the SP, we might have seen a different bronze medalist. I'm still :scratch: as to how Brian managed to get higher presentation marks than Patrick.

Thanks for letting us know about Patrick's latest CBC interview, i love to skate! It sounds like Patrick's learned his lesson and will choose his words more carefully next time around. There is a way to be honest/frank and gracious at the same time.

And while I'm being honest, I confess I'm actually relieved Patrick didn't win gold this time around (and felt the same when Jeff won his 2005 Worlds silver)--at least he won't have to worry about that pesky "defending men's world champion heading into the Olympics" jinx. :p I hope no Evan fans are offended by that--I was genuinely thrilled for him skating sooo well--in front of a hometown crowd, no less--and he definitely deserved his gold medal, IMO. Definitely the performance of Evan's life, IMO! :clap: :bow:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
This Evan fan isn't offended, she said the same thing the night he won. "Well, he just lost himself the Olympic Gold." I hope I get to eat my words next Feb!

madibe

On the Ice
And however you may feel about Patrick's comments, at least he was able to put his money where his mouth is and skate to the best of his ability on the ice. Brian...not so much. He may have nailed the quad, but not only were many of his other jumps not there, the rest of his performance was very lackluster, and frankly, I think Brian was very lucky to be back on the podium this year. If either Nobunari Oda or Jeremy Abbott (both of whom I thought skated much stronger LPs than Joubert or Tomas Verner) had placed higher after the SP, we might have seen a different bronze medalist. I'm still :scratch: as to how Brian managed to get higher presentation marks than Patrick.

Really? Jeremy Abbott skated a better long program than Joubert and Verner? He missed all of his axel attempts! And while Oda's program looked good, he once again violated the Zayak rule, which cost him a lot of points. I don't think anyone but you is arguing that those two should have been on the podium.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Brian sold both his SP and his LP... I'll give him that. I honestly thought he had it until the end. I certainly didnt see him dropping as far as he did with that skate... I was sure we'd see Lysacek 2nd to him... but funny things happen on the ice. Slippery side up and all of that.

bekalc

Record Breaker
This Evan fan isn't offended, she said the same thing the night he won. "Well, he just lost himself the Olympic Gold." I hope I get to eat my words next Feb!

The thing is that I truly think that this whole situation if Joubert can learn his lesson, like he said he did, can lead Joubert to Olympic gold, if Daisuke and Plushenko aren't back and up to snuff.

The key word for Joubert is no more playing it safe in the freakin long program. Instead go for two quads, 2 triple axels, a 3/3, and a 3 jump combination. And no freaking double axel. And high levels. Don't focus on being clean, that's so 6.0. This is COP, with a base value like that bud you can afford mistakes and still win. Especially when your competitors aren't even bothering to try quads.

And if he can start doing this in the freakin beginning of the season. And he starts winning with falls, the non quad guys are going to realize the free day is over. And many will start attempting the quad late in the Olympic season and the games, when they are not consistent or ready for it.

Joubert just needs to stop skating not to lose and start showing absolutely no mercy.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think Joubert should also get rid of the Matrix once and for all... he's been skating it off and on for HOW long (NBCUniversal said three years, but I swear he was skating the Matrix while Alexei and Plushy were battling it out)

and the Alexei channelling thing has gotten so old for the footwork sections....:sheesh:

it's entertaining, but I feel as I've seen it all before.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Actually Wrlmy Chan can be labelled as a sore loser, because he made similar comments after the short program. So sore loser is Chan.....

Really? I did not hear any "sore loser" comments from Patrick. He was very pleased with his silver medal. He also said the comments he and Brian made were "over blown" in the media.