Ladies' SP | Page 59 | Golden Skate

Ladies' SP

aftertherain

Record Breaker
WOOOOW!! I knew America sent right skaters to Vancouver. Rachael and Mirai were fantastic. I mean they are only 17years old and they do not have much of big international experiences. I am so proud of them. And Joannie, I just can not imagine how hard it was for her but she did it!! I know her mom is right besides her. I just admire her strength so much. And Miki, good job for trying 3-3. It was not ratified, but she went for it. It was a great event. I just can not get over Yu-na's repeated overscoring.......(I know i will be killed)

Well, you weren't being mean, you were just stating your opinion, so I think you'll be fine. Hahaha.

ARipp42014

Medalist
Okay some thoughts....

Mirai: WHOO HOO! Made the final flight out of the earlier flights. So proud. Now don't get downgraded and take Evan's LP as inspiration for Thursday.
Mao: Glad her 3A counted because it would've shucked if she didn't. She lay it down and put the pressure on Yuna and the final flight. Plus a 73 isn't too shabby!
Yuna: What can I say? Just in awe. While 78 was kinda high (I was thinking 76 like in TEB and SA) it's not over yet until the final skater is done. Overall, I :love: it.
Joannie: *kleenex alert* She melted my heart! Not only didn't she held back but skated the best SP I've ever seen her skate. I hope that carries on in the LP. PC will erupt during the final 30 seconds of S&D
Rachael: Good and deserving of a trip to the final flight but I like Mirai a little more
Miki: Cool beans for attempting the 3/3 (despite the downgrade) but it was great to see her do well!

Pray that we see plenty of SOHL performances and no "Laetitia" moments!

nghtvsn

Rinkside
TOP 10 in TES:
1. Yuna Kim, KOR, 44.70
2. Mao Asada, JPN, 41.50
3. Joannie Rochette, CAN, 39.20
4. Mirai Nagasu, USA, 37.00
5. Rachael Flatt, USA, 36.80
6. Ksenia Makarova, RUS, 35.46
7. Elene Gedevanishvili, GEO, 35.80
8. Miki Ando, JPN, 34.80
9. Alena Leonova, RUS, 33.90
10. Carolina Kostner, ITA, 33.34

Top 10 PCS
1. Yuna Kim, KOR, 33.80
2. Mao Asada, JPN, 32.28
3. Joannie Rochette, CDN, 32.16
4. Miki Ando, JPN, 29.96
5. Carolina Kostner, ITA, 29.68
6. Laura Lepisto, FIN, 28.48
7. Alena Leonova, RUS, 28.24
8. Akiko Suzuki, JPN, 27.92
9. Rachael Flatt, USA, 27.84
10 Mirai Nagasu, USA, 26.76
10. Julia Sebastyen, HUN, 26.76

Top 10 in +GOE
1. Yuna Kim, KOR, 9.80
2. Joannie Rochette, CAN, 7.80
3. Mao Asada, JPN, 7.10
4. Mirai Nagasu, USA, 5.20
5. Laura Lepisto, FIN, 4.78
6. Cheltzie Lee, AUS, 2.82
7. Miki Ando, JPN, 2.70
7. Elene Gedevanishvili, GEO, 2.70
9. Ksenia Makarova, 2.56
10. Rachael Flatt, USA, 2.50

Wow. RAchael got killed in GOE. A couple more points there and she's fighting for bronze.
The Yu Na GOE separation is excessive. Seriously, she and Mao are both World Champions and there was that big a difference...C'mon

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Looks like it will be 2010 after the Long :(

Yeah. Both skaters will likely be in the top 10 though so that's pretty good, 5+8=13 so if Rachael and Mirai can do that here hopefully they can do it again at worlds at get back 3 spots for the US ladies! I'm proud of both of them!

Bennett

Record Breaker
Looks like the 3A-2T strategy is not that cost-effective just like 4-3 in men. Hope she brings her 3-3 back.

R.D.

Record Breaker
yes!!!!!!!!!!! USA USA USA!!! And I have to say I KNEW IT! I knew as soon as nationals that they would be this high.

Oh, Mirai... wonder if she is wondering what If? on the 3-3. But you know... chances are it would have been URed. And an amazing first major international comp for her..

Still some ground to make up point-wise (7 points out of bronze, 13 pts from 1st). At least some of the top contenders are going to have to mess up and they will have to be on their game to get onto that podium. I wouldn't discount Ando yet as well. She may be fired up for the LP- a Japanese Sarah Hughes in a way. The top three hold their fate in their own hands.

magicalwords

On the Ice
Wow. RAchael got killed in GOE. A couple more points there and she's fighting for bronze.
The Yu Na GOE separation is excessive. Seriously, she and Mao are both World Champions and there was that big a difference...C'mon

Well, if we focus on jumps, Yu-Na has overall better height and distance for her jumps and she incorporates transitions in and out of her jumps, so it's no wonder she gets higher GOE than other ladies in the field.

Layfan

Record Breaker
If you've read my posts at all, you'd know I'm not a very sentimental person. So when I say Joannie skated the best she ever did and was one of the best skates tonight, it really had nothing to do with her recent misfortunes. She did not make one wrong or unnecessary movement at all in the entire skate. She just inhabited her space perfectly and lived the music. She earned that PCS, and it should've been even higher.

ITA. She was very very musical. I know some people questioning why she's so much higher than Mirai.... I LOVE MIRAI. But Joannie's jumps are just that much cleaner. no edge calls .... and Mirai has one problem that I've noted - when she gets especially nervous she'll stop performing for a bit and goes through the motions. Her skate tonight was like that at times. Just at times. I think it's a problem that she has almost overcome.

Even Rachael - she never stopped performing for a second, say what you will about her style and her posture. Whether she URed her 3-3... I dunno... will have to see.:unsure:

If Mirai could get there with her performance... well she did at nationals. I think she's on the cusp of something great.

Moxie

On the Ice

She gets great height on her toe-jumps and she's fast. That's where her high GOE comes from.

treshot

Rinkside

What does the fact that they are world champions have to do with GOE? (If we are talking about PCS maybe I'll understand) Yuna's jumps clearly had more speed (biggest difference between two in my opinion. I couldn't believe how Mao has slowed down in these 2 years) and more height.

bmelanie

On the Ice
So proud of all the LADIES TONIGHT!!!! I still remember cringing back when I read Philip Hersh's column where he complained that the ladies' was a splatfest blah blah blah... well look again Mr. Hersh, the top girls were clean as a whistle! XD This is truly the best SP I could have wished for, Yuna Mao Joannie CLEAN even after everything they've been through this season - Mao and her struggles with the 3A (way to pull through girl!!) and Joannie with her heartbreak.

Despite Rachael's tightness on the jumps, I thoroughly loved her; so BUBBLY. It was so great to see her truly enjoy herself on the ice and not get crushed by the pressure. And Yuna, way to nail that 3F after the nasty fall today in practice. gaaah so happy :D :D :D

nghtvsn

Rinkside
Well, if we focus on jumps, Yu-Na has overall better height and distance for her jumps and she incorporates transitions in and out of her jumps, so it's no wonder she gets higher GOE than other ladies in the field.

I didn't realize you have actual height measurements of jumps from a television. How do you do that?

I'll rewatch those two performances to see these transition elements going into and out of all three jump passes.

aurora100

Final Flight
Looks like the 3A-2T strategy is not that cost-effective just like 4-3 in men. Hope she brings her 3-3 back.

I've read many a time that Mao doesn't have a reliable 3/3 of any kind that's why she is sticking to he risk 3A2T. That's her best chance of being close to Kim's 3/3.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Still some ground to make up point-wise (7 points out of bronze, 13 pts from 1st). At least some of the top contenders are going to have to mess up and they will have to be on their game to get onto that podium. I wouldn't discount Ando yet as well. She may be fired up for the LP- a Japanese Sarah Hughes in a way. The top three hold their fate in their own hands.

Well, I'm just thrilled they are both in top 6 ... they've always been medal longshots. I just really wanted them to have great skates and show the world who they are. And they did, pretty much.

I mean, I know it's strange and sad not to have a U.S. OGM favorite much less medal favorite but I've had plenty of time to get over that.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
TOP 10 in TES:
1. Yuna Kim, KOR, 44.70
2. Mao Asada, JPN, 41.50
3. Joannie Rochette, CAN, 39.20
4. Mirai Nagasu, USA, 37.00
5. Rachael Flatt, USA, 36.80
6. Elene Gedevanishvili, GEO, 35.80
7. Ksenia Makarova, RUS, 35.46
8. Miki Ando, JPN, 34.80
9. Alena Leonova, RUS, 33.90
10. Carolina Kostner, ITA, 33.34

Top 10 PCS
1. Yuna Kim, KOR, 33.80
2. Mao Asada, JPN, 32.28
3. Joannie Rochette, CDN, 32.16
4. Miki Ando, JPN, 29.96
5. Carolina Kostner, ITA, 29.68
6. Laura Lepisto, FIN, 28.48
7. Alena Leonova, RUS, 28.24
8. Akiko Suzuki, JPN, 27.92
9. Rachael Flatt, USA, 27.84
10 Mirai Nagasu, USA, 26.76
10. Julia Sebastyen, HUN, 26.76

Top 10 in +GOE
1. Yuna Kim, KOR, 9.80
2. Joannie Rochette, CAN, 7.80
3. Mao Asada, JPN, 7.10
4. Mirai Nagasu, USA, 5.20
5. Laura Lepisto, FIN, 4.78
6. Cheltzie Lee, AUS, 2.82
7. Miki Ando, JPN, 2.70
7. Elene Gedevanishvili, GEO, 2.70
9. Ksenia Makarova, RUS, 2.56
10. Rachael Flatt, USA, 2.50

REPOSTING TO correct ranking error in TES for Elena and Ksenia.

ARipp42014

Medalist
LP is posted! Mirai got Pimp Spot!

Rachael
Miki
Yuna
Mao
Joannie
Mirai

I was right about Yuna before Mao. Joannie is next to last.