2014 Skate America Ladies SP 10/25 | Page 29 | Golden Skate

2014 Skate America Ladies SP 10/25

lavender

Record Breaker
Gracie is way more refined than Eliza but I find both of them boring now....lol However, I'm glad Eliza is ahead of Elena. Elena needs to grow more for me. I'll wait until she goes through puberty..

Art&Sport

Medalist
karne, you will end up with a heart attack if you take figure skating judging and fan opinions so much to heart. None of us will always agree. Many of us are very passionate about our likes and dislikes and points of view, but why identify so fiercely? It's figure skating which is an imperfect sport filled with drama, politics, heartbreak and very rare transcendent moments. Do you know Liza personally? Is she your baby? I mean root for who you like, but expecting everyone to feel the same way you feel about the skaters you love will have you banging your head against a wall all season long. I'm not happy with the many dismissive comments about Jason Brown in the men's short program thread, but I'm not going to tear my hair out or commit hari-kari over what I feel are others' short-sighted and sometimes mean-spirited opinions.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Art&Sport, I wasn't complaining about Liza. She was wonderful. I was complaining about Brooklee's score, particularly in comparison to Nagasu, and more to the point, the endless threads and posts here complaining about how the Russians are always overscored and EVIL but the Americans are angels of light. Well, here you have an American totally overscored, but no-one actually cares because the victim was only Australian.

MIM

Medalist
I have to mention one thing regarding Liza's artistry and PCS argument.

She is very technical skater, but she does not stop growing there. I see lots of improvements from her performance today and I even like her costume. :)

She is not musical? I don't know. I believe she understands bolero and feel it. I cannot say hers is the most impressive Boleo, but she did a justice skating to this music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvhPrE0esgU&list=UUHxukVg_JFACjNBHeDwddww
@1:50 look at her lunge during the stsq. For the entire performance, she was adding nuances while executing the required elements flawlessly, and still looking relaxed. Her lack of performance quality, I think, she tried to complement by starting her season early, going to the B level events as many as possible. She is not the most artistic skater, but I like her skating here; it is clear, relaxed, and evolving.

Art&Sport

Medalist
I guess RAD is sort of like theJason Brown? Get rewarded for being the heir apparent?

:lol: Rad is Rad, and JB is JB! They are definitely not alike, not even in their career arc. At a young age, Jason Brown has been and continues to be a well-rounded skater with enormous talent stylistically, musically, interpretively. He has a way of connecting with the audience that simply can't be taught. Added to that, Jason has great parents, an excellent coach and a very gifted choreographer. Jason came into his own at 2014 U.S. Nationals and made a statement, which is why he has increased backing and support from U.S. fed. However, there are still a number of talented U.S. guys in contention. Jason has to continue working hard to prove his worth, and he knows that.

Some of us fans don't seem to know how to separate one early competition from the stream of events and seasons that are still ahead. One comp does not tell us everything that's going to happen this season, much less in four years.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I don't find Liza T to be artistic...at all really. What she is, however, is a very good performer. She's able to get into her music and the character of her music and project that to the audience. She's always been like that. She's not the most graceful or elegant skater in the field but she works with what she has, and what she has is power and attitude. I actually think her "artistic range" is somewhat limited. Liza T isn't able to pull of quiet/softer music; don't forget she used the same SP three seasons in a row. However, not everyone can be versatile...some people need to stick to what they're good at. Liza is good with mid to up-tempo music that allows her to add a bit of attitude and flair. I think Bolero suits her well and I really like her FS too.

flutzy13

On the Ice
Art&Sport, I wasn't complaining about Liza. She was wonderful. I was complaining about Brooklee's score, particularly in comparison to Nagasu, and more to the point, the endless threads and posts here complaining about how the Russians are always overscored and EVIL but the Americans are angels of light. Well, here you have an American totally overscored, but no-one actually cares because the victim was only Australian.

Both Mirai and Brooklee are buried in the standings with no hope of a medal. If Nagasu (and I don't really know whether she did although I don't think so) got a slight home bump as is done at every GP for some of the host country's skaters, what in the world does it really matter when she's in 10th place?

Art&Sport

Medalist
^^ THIS!

Yep Mirai messed up her jumps, but that doesn't mean she did nothing well out there. Mirai is a much better skater than Brooklee. I realize you are Australian and feel your countrywoman wuzrobbed. I think it would help for Brooklee to reflect on her own performance and where she can improve, rather than her fans being upset about how someone else scored above her. Your being upset with the low scores Mirai got for a disappointing skate is a fruitless enterprise.

starlight97

Final Flight
:no:Just watched it. My thoughts:

Liza Tuktamysheva:
- I love fighters, people who don't get things thrown at them but have to work for it and she's one of those.
- pure confidence and great flow out of jumps
- I hate the music and costume choice but she makes up for it
- Mishin is like a proud dad! That K&C moment was beautiful :)

Elena Radionova:
- on fire. No matter if one likes her style or program music (or russians *clears throat*) she is pure energy and performance
- shame about the Lutz but impressive to get a great 3T on the end of that
- I personally! feel like in comparison to Gracie she was underscored in presentation! I want judges to stop giving younger girls lower points only because they are "not as mature". She interpreted her music to best and had the greatest presence impo
- she looks 5x more mature than last year to me and you can see that she already has the mind of a true competitor and is way older inside
-rightfully in second now but if she goes clean in FS Liza can't beat it I think

Gracie Gold:
- she, opposite to Liza, did have the Gold basically offered to her if she only skated clean BUT ...well..
- repect for getting the 3T after that bad landing on the 3Lz
- HOW could she miss that spin? Oh Gracie... she has such a tendency to give the medals and points away so frequently that it almost might come across as voluntarily after some time
- I wish she would stop that fake smile. She was clearly disappointed at the end but forced herself to do the horrible pageant grin
- I hope she can have a good Free, I feel almost sorry for her by now, not in a bad way but a 'I will you on' way

cooper

Medalist
Both Mirai and Brooklee are buried in the standings with no hope of a medal. If Nagasu (and I don't really know whether she did although I don't think so) got a slight home bump as is done at every GP for some of the host country's skaters, what in the world does it really matter when she's in 10th place?

this...

glad that so youn did pretty well for her debut.. but her pcs.. whatever..

Art&Sport

Medalist
ITA that Rad's skating is frantic and rushed at this point, which probably could hurt her against Julia Lip this season. Julia is very consistent and somehow often able to overcome her weaknesses in the eyes of the judges. Still, I feel Rad has the better and more precocious artistic possibilities.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Just got caught up with the SP & the thread. Can I just say I sort of miss skyfly? :laugh:

desertskates

Medalist
I'll just offer short commentary on the top 3. Liza's program and delivery was beautiful!!! I would love to see her go on to win this. Elena presented this program sooo well, but I hate the music. Ugh. And for Gracie: It just looks like any sense of joy has been sucked out of this girl. I hope it's not truly the case, but the plastic smile says it all.

Ice Diva

On the Ice
Just watched the SP. The two Russian girls were amazing this early in the season - such energy and attack. Gracie - I find her boring.
Miss Skyfly & her many aliases - nope.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
I don't love Liza's choreography but I am glad she is back on track. She has some of the best jumps in the business.

I am so sad for Mirai. She had good speed going into the 3F. Not sure what happened there. I had high hopes after the Japan Open and practice reports.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I am, once again, reminded of why I look forward to the men but always come out enjoying the ladies more. (Actually, thanks to Liza, I might've been more excited about the women this time, but anyway...) Solid-to-great skating from Liza, Elena, Gracie, Samantha, Elene, Mae...

Tuktamysheva: YESSSS!! I was so worried for her, since she looked a bit nervous during the warm-up (still hitting her jumps though), while Elena looked ready to kill. But she nailed it! Please, please bring it in the free... And no, Liza is not the classic "artiste on ice," but she's got her own style and her own performance abilities, and that's fine with me.

Radionova: The music was :no:. But she's one hell of a performer! Once she starts the program, it's like a different Elena comes out. She doesn't look nervous for a second. And since we're marking the skater and not the choreographer, I must say I do enjoy her skating. Thank god she narrowly avoided the "Russian board crash" scenario I was fearing.

Gold: Actually better than I expected. Credit to her for getting a 3T on that lutz. But... she still feels a bit like a moving marble statue to me. Pretty, but ultimately a little empty. Her embarrassment K&C (about the spin) was actually quite adorable. For a second, I thought I saw the real Gracie behind the pageant packaging. Makes me wish even more that they'd drop said packaging.

Cesario: Great performer, and gutsy move to go for the thankless -3Lo combo.

Park: Shame about the lutz, but otherwise a graceful skate.

Gedevanishvili: Her movements were very elegant and she knows how to project. My only issue is I don't feel there was a lot of meaning behind those movements. Still, solid clean skate, and what a wonderful way to open the night! (Take note, men's discipline :p)

Meite: She was certainly interesting. Just wish she'd had more steam in the StSq... it seemed to just stop in places, and not with any accordance to the music. Still slightly surprised it got level one though.

Imai: Her overall packaging (style, costume) is wonderful. I think her program would've been better without the vocals, though they weren't terrible, per se. Jumps had great flow, and she seemed to have nice speed across the ice. I was getting really into the program until the fall. :disapp: The second half went nowhere after that.

Popova: Okay on the technical side, but really hollow movements, with no commitment or meaning. How her PCS are higher than Brooklee's, I just cannot understand.

Nagasu: :bang: Really disruptive fall, really bad "combo," no real performance there... I would've had her dead last. That being said, I'm glad she didn't get her whole combo invalidated because she did an invalid single jump. I was afraid that was going to happen, with the way the ISU handles these things.

Han: Beautiful spins, and good solid presentation. Loved the axel out of nowhere. She just needs more spring on her jumps. I agree with Karne--I think she was underscored. (And I'm not Australian :)).