Will media allow Kwan to be happy with any medal this time? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Will media allow Kwan to be happy with any medal this time?

Kasey

Medalist
fscric said:
This is not particularly directed at you as I've seen others expressed the same query about the discussion at the meeting. We do not know if the report about how the discussion went was true or not; even if it's true, I don't understand why would people feel annoyed. If Emily had skated a brilliant LP programme, maybe there might have been fierce discussion / debate as to whether Michelle should be given the bye; since she hadn't, it was natural their concern would be whether Michelle would be healthy and strong enough at Olympics.

But think about it. Emily was second after the SP. With a "brilliant" LP, she would have remained second, or possibly even have won. Then we would be wondering if Kimmie/Alyssa/Bebe/whoever "wuzrobbed" instead. Emily had her chance and didn't make it.

flowjo35

On the Ice
SkateFan4Life said:
I have to agree with you, at least to a degree. There have been plenty in the media who felt that it was "unfair" for Michelle to gain a spot on the Olympic team when she did not compete at Nationals. This discontent doesn't just apply to her no-show at Nationals, but to the fact she, apparently, simply has not modified her competitive programs to gain maximum points with COP. She really has no excuse for not "getting with the program". Does she think that the judges should somehow look the other way and still award her a gold medal if her programs are not competitive? Wishful thinking, Michelle.

If Michelle wins the gold medal, she will be everyone's hero. If she wins silver or bronze, she will have at least justified her selection for the team. If she falters and/or skates relatively clean programs but finishes fifth or sixth, there will be a lot of carping in the media.

Michelle does not have to justify being on the team to anyone. She did that for the skating committee during the skate test. Since we have not seen her programs, how to we know she does not have COP friendly programs? The reason she hired TT was to make sure she could get the most points out her programs for this season. Last years mistake was not going to be repeated this season. If Michelle skates two great competitive programs, she will medal.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Assuming Irina wins the gold, I do think of the group-Suguri, Arakawa, Kwan, Cohen, Kostner, Ando, maybe even Sokolova; if anyone from that group skates two clean and smooth performances they will automaticaly win one of the remaining 2 medals. I expect there will be alot of mistakes, and if you are of the extended contenders group back to back clean performances will ensure you a medal of some color. So I agree if Kwan skates two clean performances she will win a medal, although I dont expect her to do this.

I think the only one who will be relaxed with no more than starting jitters is Michelle Kwan. She has nothing to lose!! If she loses, she will cry all the way to the bank.:cry: :) :cry: and then start rehearsals for a broadway show.;)

Joe

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Joesitz, are you a Dick Button fan? I only ask because he is your avatar. I dont like his commentary in the womens event, too bias to Americans. I like commentary other than when an American women is skating and I like how he built the exciting pro circuit that the ISU ruined by making all of his events stupid pro-ams.

He does tend to be biased towards the American Ladies but not always. After all the American Ladies have been the winner throughout the sport's history. But he is often nasty to the American Men. (jealousy, maybe?)

I think overall he has mellowed out compared to when he was younger.

Joe

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Joesitz said:
He does tend to be biased towards the American Ladies but not always. After all the American Ladies have been the winner throughout the sport's history. But he is often nasty to the American Men. (jealousy, maybe?)

I think overall he has mellowed out compared to when he was younger.

Joe

He was always too biased to Cohen, he never pointed out the things she was less than excellent in perhaps, like her small jumps, her flutzing, or her lack of edge quality and stroking quality, especialy a few years ago. Other than that he was tolerable I suppose. The American men are very good but are gradualy living down from what was the standard of past American men who Champions of the World often, or atleast perenialy fighting with a rival or two for that title year in and year out. Gradualy they are decreasing from that status, Bowman and Eldredge were a slight decline after Ticker-Hamilton-Boitano, and Weiss, Weir, and Lysacek are another slight decline from Bowman and Eldredge. I think that is why he is hard on them.

mzheng

Record Breaker
slutskayafan21 said:
He was always too biased to Cohen, he never pointed out the things she was less than excellent in perhaps, like her small jumps, her flutzing, or her lack of edge quality and stroking quality, especialy a few years ago. Other than that he was tolerable I suppose. The American men are very good but are gradualy living down from what was the standard of past American men who Champions of the World often, or atleast perenialy fighting with a rival or two for that title year in and year out. Gradualy they are decreasing from that status, Bowman and Eldredge were a slight decline after Ticker-Hamilton-Boitano, and Weiss, Weir, and Lysacek are another slight decline from Bowman and Eldredge. I think that is why he is hard on them.
Tell me when Russian commetators don't baised towards Russian skaters.....only that not so many Americans knew Russian read in Russian board or live in Russia. But a lot of Russian born Americans and American born Russians posted in English boards, live in N/A ans watching ABCs.

S

SkateFan4Life

flowjo35 said:
Michelle does not have to justify being on the team to anyone. She did that for the skating committee during the skate test. Since we have not seen her programs, how to we know she does not have COP friendly programs? The reason she hired TT was to make sure she could get the most points out her programs for this season. Last years mistake was not going to be repeated this season. If Michelle skates two great competitive programs, she will medal.

Well, I certainly hope that Michelle has "COP-friendly" programs, as she most definitely has to have these if she has any thoughts of winning a medal at the Olympics. She did not have these kinds of programs last season, and her work with TT, hopefully, upted the ante for her to score high points.

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Almost all national commentators are biased. Around 1991-92 I remember some Canadian commentators trying to talk up Canadian National Champion Josee Chouinard as a strong competitor for then-reigning World Champ Kristi Yamaguchi. Sorry, but Chouinard could not hold Yamaguchi's sports bra.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Ogre Mage said:
Almost all national commentators are biased. Around 1991-92 I remember some Canadian commentators trying to talk up Canadian National Champion Josee Chouinard as a strong competitor for then-reigning World Champ Kristi Yamaguchi. Sorry, but Chouinard could not hold Yamaguchi's sports bra.

What kind of statement is this? Does not belong here at Golden Skate.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I don't think Kwan's happiness with a medal has as much to do with the media as it does with her own outlook. The quesion should be will she be happy with her placement? Of course, should she win gold, she will be happy, but that is a long-shot at best. What if she wins silver, bronze or nothing? Will she give up her quest? Or will we see her at the 2010 Games in Vancouver, BC still chasing her elusive dream?

S

SkateFan4Life

Ogre Mage said:

Hey, that last sentence was nasty! Ugh.

However, I do agree that many national commentators are biased, and frankly it was ridiculous for some Canadian commentators to try to talk up Jose Chouinard as a strong contender for then-reigning World Champion Kristi Yamaguchi. With all due respect, Jose simply wasn't in the same class as Kristi, and it showed with their competitive results.

National loyalty and enthusiam is great, but let's have a dose of reality, please.

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Ladskater said:
What kind of statement is this? Does not belong here at Golden Skate.
Well, let me present a hypothetical scenario. What if you were watching in the early 1990s and the U.S. commentators were to try to hype up Mark Mitchell as a strong competitor for Kurt? My first thought would be: "Mark couldn't hold Kurt's jock." :laugh:

Last edited:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Ladskater said:
I don't think Kwan's happiness with a medal has as much to do with the media as it does with her own outlook. The quesion should be will she be happy with her placement? Of course, should she win gold, she will be happy, but that is a long-shot at best. What if she wins silver, bronze or nothing? Will she give up her quest? Or will we see her at the 2010 Games in Vancouver, BC still chasing her elusive dream?

Actually I think you are right on that. Perhaps I should have worded my topic, will the media not criticize or refer to a non-gold medal for Kwan as a "dissapointement" this time around, and if they do they had unrealistic views to start with. Listening to alot of U.S stations they seem to regard her as going in the same place she did in 98 and 2002 which is bogus!

As for that other question though, that is also a good one, and perhaps also what I should have started this thread as. Will Kwan be happy with a non-gold medal this time, since realisticaly she is fighting just to get a medal, and no-
medal was always a very real possability. Hopefully she is if she does get a medal.

As for 2010 Olympics I would be shocked under any circumtances, really shocked. She is looking forward to a long career in Stars on Ice now IMO.

flowjo35

On the Ice
slutskayafan21 said:
Listening to alot of U.S stations they seem to regard her as going in the same place she did in 98 and 2002 which is bogus!

As for that other question though, that is also a good one, and perhaps also what I should have started this thread as. Will Kwan be happy with a non-gold medal this time, since realisticaly she is fighting just to get a medal, and no-
medal was always a very real possability. Hopefully she is if she does get a medal.

Tv stations and newspapers that I have been listening to and reading have Michelle as the definate underdog. Some have her as not getting a medal at all. None have her going in as a favorite like in 98' and 02'. I think if Michelle skates up to the level she is capable of and gets a medal she would be okay, given all she has been through this season. I think she will pull it off.:)

R.D.

Record Breaker
well, MK seems to have no problem thinking she can win.

we'll see about that.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Red Dog said:
well, MK seems to have no problem thinking she can win.

we'll see about that.

IIRC, Michelle said at her press conference that she has "a shot", but refused to state how good that "shot" might be. It sounds to me that she knows full well that her chances of winning are slim.

R.D.

Record Breaker
it may be possible. Anyway, better to try and go for it anyway rather than regret it later. I'd probably do the same thing in her position.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I saw on CBS the other night, some supposed skating writers and experts interviewed who said things to the effect, "everybody is waiting to see if this is where Michelle wins, if this is the Olympics she steps up and takes the gold that is up to her to either win or throw away." Those type of things make me think Americans might be in for a rude awakening if that is their true perception of current reality.