Will media allow Kwan to be happy with any medal this time? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Will media allow Kwan to be happy with any medal this time?

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I hate to do this to you RD because we've known each other for quite some time, but I'm really sick of it now. I'm sorry if the below hurts you, but I have to tell this.

Red Dog said:
Well, tell you what. Kwan basically hasn't competed in the last year or so. Who cares about Kwan right now.

A lot of people apparently, otherwise she wouldn't be the most talked about skater on the internet in ladies and the center of most NBC Olympic commercials. Even on FSU, there is a big joke about how every thread turns into a Kwan thread. And please spare me that it's all the Kwan fans fault because it takes 2 people to start a heated debate

On the other hand, you have lunatic fans who choose to rant and rave and defend Kwan to the last hilt. We know MK is the center of the universe and can do no wrong, no need to rub it in. Even many of Kwan's "regular" fans I see are now engaging in similar behavior.

Here we go again with only blaming the Kwan fans. You know RD, you never forgave those Kwan fans that were defensive when you posted that you wanted anyone other than Kwan to win. It seems you been trying to have a mission where you want to point out how awful the Kwan fans are by getting the Kwan fans riled up or take the other side of every Kwan issue. I mean isn't that what "devil's advocates" do? BTW, nobody needs a devil's advocate.

In other words, it's Kwan's UBERFANS I can do without, not Kwan herself. Although I will say I'm quite tired of her. But I don't hate her. There's no reason for me to hate or dislike HER. She hasn't given me one yet.

If that's true, then why do you hang out at MKF? I can't stand Sasha uber fans nor can I stand Irina uberfans and you know what I do? I stay away from those places. I know MKF shouldn't be a place only for uberfans, and it isn't...but you can't go in there expecting the uberfans not to be vocal and numerous. Since that's the case and you're so sick of Uberfans, then why do you go to MKF and roll your eyes at them?

There's a fairly decent chance that I might have cheered for her again if I never set "foot" on these forums. But the extreme fandom eventually pulled me away from her. I was never much of a Kwan fan (even though I was totally rooting for her in SLC) but I'm even more of a non-fan now that I've been basically "convinced" to disassociate myself from her as much as possible.

I think you need to deal with the fact that maybe it wasn't just the uberfans that got you away from the Kwan fandom. It's totally fine to be a non-fan of a skater, you don't have to defend yourself, but the way you just villify everything relating to Kwan is quite obvious. If you weren't, then not many people on here would be calling you out on it, RD. Goldenskate has a lot of Kwan fans, but it's far from a place that only has uber Kwan fans. Keep that in mind.

I'm trying not to pick on you RD, but you make it really hard sometimes. You don't need to start all this crap all the time. You blame the Kwan fans for always defending her on everything, but yet you're always there ready to call them on it and tell them how awful they are. You're being very hypocritical there.

Last edited:

mzheng

Record Breaker
VietGirl, you said what exactly what I'd like to say. I had even typed up some of replys, but as 2nd thought, why bother to waste my energy.....glad you said it clearly.

R.D.

Record Breaker
VIETgrlTerifa said:
A lot of people apparently, otherwise she wouldn't be the most talked about skater on the internet in ladies and the center of most NBC Olympic commercials. Even on FSU, there is a big joke about how every thread turns into a Kwan thread. And please spare me that it's all the Kwan fans fault because it takes 2 people to start a heated debate

I was actually being facetious in that part of my post. Who cares about Kwan- in other words, Kwan has nothing to do with this

Here we go again with only blaming the Kwan fans. You know RD, you never forgave those Kwan fans that were defensive when you posted that you wanted anyone other than Kwan to win. It seems you been trying to have a mission where you want to point out how awful the Kwan fans are by getting the Kwan fans riled up or take the other side of every Kwan issue. I mean isn't that what "devil's advocates" do? BTW, nobody needs a devil's advocate.

Sounds like you think I'm taking the other side of the issue just because "I feel like it". No, what I post is what I believe. I would NEVER make things up. Remember that. Occasionally I'll bring up the "other side" but I ALWAYS start it off with "to play devil's advocate" or "to live up to my custom title" or something like that.

However, some people somehow think that just because I don't share their opinion, they believe I'm out to get Kwan or something, and here we go. They take a shot at me, and I take my shot back at them. I just can't get over how silly all this is.

This is what I can't stand. And after four years of this, I've finally decided that enough is enough. I'm tired of these people. I'll apologize for potentially overreacting, but not for my comments, because it's truly how I feel.

If that's true, then why do you hang out at MKF? I can't stand Sasha uber fans nor can I stand Irina uberfans and you know what I do? I stay away from those places. I know MKF shouldn't be a place only for uberfans, and it isn't...but you can't go in there expecting the uberfans not to be vocal and numerous. Since that's the case and you're so sick of Uberfans, then why do you go to MKF and roll your eyes at them?

one word: NEWS. I also visit ISFF and Sashafans, too.

I think you need to deal with the fact that maybe it wasn't just the uberfans that got you away from the Kwan fandom. It's totally fine to be a non-fan of a skater, you don't have to defend yourself, but the way you just villify everything relating to Kwan is quite obvious.

If you read my "non-heated" posts, you'll realize that this is a bunch of hogwash. The only "thing" I've ever "vilified" is the uber-Kwan fans that choose to single me out.

If you weren't, then not many people on here would be calling you out on it, RD. Goldenskate has a lot of Kwan fans, but it's far from a place that only has uber Kwan fans. Keep that in mind.

I'd love to see examples of posts where I've "vilified" Kwan. I just don't get what the hoopla is about all this. It's certainly not my response that started all this (targeting), because if it hadn't happened, we wouldn't be having this argument.

I'm trying not to pick on you RD, but you make it really hard sometimes. You don't need to start all this crap all the time. You blame the Kwan fans for always defending her on everything, but yet you're always there ready to call them on it and tell them how awful they are. You're being very hypocritical there.

Another half-truth. What I'm really doing is I'm getting at those fans who make it a mission to do this, and single out all the non-Kwans as "haters". Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm certainly not dreaming when I see some posters mistaking criticisms of Kwan as "hating".

I know there's going to be cheerleading on the part of the poster, and it's all good. I'm fine with that. Now, I'm just going to try and sit back and not let all of this nonsense get to me.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
I was actually being facetious in that part of my post. Who cares about Kwan- in other words, Kwan has nothing to do with this

From the thread title and the way the conversation was going, it seemed it had everything to do with Kwan.

Sounds like you think I'm taking the other side of the issue just because "I feel like it". No, what I post is what I believe. I would NEVER make things up. Remember that. Occasionally I'll bring up the "other side" but I ALWAYS start it off with "to play devil's advocate" or "to live up to my custom title" or something like that.

But you see, when you start off your posts to play devil's advocate or live up to your title, it gives your posts that sound of someone who's always being difficult just to do it. Everyone posts what they believe, it doesn't make them right or wrong. I know you believe what you posts, but it's always with you're right and the Kwan fans are picking on you.

However, some people somehow think that just because I don't share their opinion, they believe I'm out to get Kwan or something, and here we go. They take a shot at me, and I take my shot back at them. I just can't get over how silly all this is.

After four years of it RD, you've taken all kinds of shots at Kwan and Kwan fans in your post. Maybe you're playing dumb or you really are oblivious to it, but you really do sound like you have an agenda with all of your posts. I used to give you the benefit of the doubt all the time, and maybe it's just your wording of posts but they really rub people, not just uber, over-the-top Kwan fans off.

And it's not just for the constructive or even less-constructive criticism of Kwan because I post on FSU and it's certainly far from being a Kwan palace, and yet I'm able to take people seriously when they talk about Kwan in a less than favorable light. I have trouble with you and the way you do it. I don't have any evidence of this of course because I don't feel like wading through all of your posts, but I've been reading your posts for so long now so I know how you post. I'm not just picking on you because I liked talking to you, Off-board.

This is what I can't stand. And after four years of this, I've finally decided that enough is enough. I'm tired of these people. I'll apologize for potentially overreacting, but not for my comments, because it's truly how I feel.

Then you're not really apologizing at all since your comments are a result of your overreacting. Listen, we all overreact and make dumb comments from time to time, but after four years of it, you'd think there is something with the way you post. There are all kinds of fans here, not just Kwan fans and they're able to avoid the persucution you think you're getting.

I think you should take your own advice and follow through. You clearly don't seem to be enjoying skating that much.

one word: NEWS. I also visit ISFF and Sashafans, too.

I can understand that, but as someone who seems to hate the UBER fans so much, I would think it would be much better for you avoid that forum altogether. Also, getting news didn't stop you from posting on a thread with you pointing out how ridiculous they're all being.

If you read my "non-heated" posts, you'll realize that this is a bunch of hogwash. The only "thing" I've ever "vilified" is the uber-Kwan fans that choose to single me out.

You may have at one time, but it seems every post I've seen you post on this subject, you make it seem as if it's all the crazy Kwan fans fault for everything. Hell, you even started pointed at normal Kwan fans. How does that not point to most Kwan fans and only point to the ones that single you out?

I'd love to see examples of posts where I've "vilified" Kwan. I just don't get what the hoopla is about all this. It's certainly not my response that started all this, because if it hadn't happened, we wouldn't be having this argument.

You don't vilify Kwan, but you certainly have no qualms with trying to show how ridiculous her fans are. You even say how her non-uber fans were getting crazy.

Another half-truth. What I'm really doing is I'm getting at those who make it a mission to do this, and single out all the non-Kwans as "haters". Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm certainly not dreaming when I see some posters mistaking criticisms of Kwan as "hating".

You have to understand that with the way you post, you don't get those points across at all. You sound like someone who sounds bitter that Kwan has so many fans so you take it upon yourself to bring them down a peg.

I've known you for quite some time RD, and I have to say that every time I've spoken to you, you always had those tones in your posts. I tried giving you the benefit of doubt as a young person who is still learning his way through skating and it's crazy fandom, but you really have made it hard for me to not see some sort of agenda behind your posts. I'm sorry if those aren't your intentions, but that's how you come across. I have no problem getting a long with people who don't like Kwan's style because I talk to and am pretty good friends with those who aren't, so it's not just my inability to get along with people who don't think Kwan is the sh*t.

I know there's going to be cheerleading on the part of the poster, and it's all good. I'm fine with that. Now, I'm just going to try and sit back and not let all of this nonsense get to me.

You shouldn't let it get to you because you'll give yourself a heart attack with all the Kwan love. Hell, if Goldenskate is a Kwan haven, then Kwan isn't safe anywhere other than MKF.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
First, let me say that for those posters wanting to discuss this topic, just skip this post. This post is simply a response to the above comments and accusations made against me.

Disclaimer: I think I'm seriously losing my cool right now, so if something sounds a little out of context, it's likely that I don't mean it literally.

VIETgrlTerifa said:
But you see, when you start off your posts to play devil's advocate or live up to your title, it gives your posts that sound of someone who's always being difficult just to do it. Everyone posts what they believe, it doesn't make them right or wrong. I know you believe what you posts, but it's always with you're right and the Kwan fans are picking on you.

I don't ever remember saying that "I'm right"- that's not my intention. And I don't think I'm right. Notice that at the end of the majority of my posts is a great big IMO.

After four years of it RD, you've taken all kinds of shots at Kwan and Kwan fans in your post. Maybe you're playing dumb or you really are oblivious to it, but you really do sound like you have an agenda with all of your posts. I used to give you the benefit of the doubt all the time, and maybe it's just your wording of posts but they really rub people, not just uber, over-the-top Kwan fans off.

I always had a "blunt" posting style, and I don't see that going away. I think that's the big reason a lot of this is happening. I always did...I didn't just decide to be that way one day. That may give some people the impression I don't like Kwan. Now, I'm one to be honest and not make up BS, so I'll just say flat out that I am admittedly a little tired of her. But what I say stands- I don't hate her. If anybody goes around saying I HATE Kwan, they're wrong. I have no reason to hate Kwan herself.

I will be the first to admit that I have taken shots at some Kwan fans, but (I hate to sound like a pre-schooler here so pardon me) I was the first one to be targeted, so it was basically my "natural" response to get back at them. HOWEVER- I have not taken any shots at Kwan HERSELF. If anyone has evidence to the contrary, I'd like to see it. I leave the skater out of it and take it up with the fans.

I remember asking a long time ago whether people really took offense to my posts. I remember a few did, but the majority (who RESPONDED to me) didn't. But I'm not understanding this. I've never bashed any individual posters or called anyone names. The only thing closest to that that I have done is taken issue with some uber Kwan fans, and I singled them out as a GROUP.

This is really all about me posting a comment, maybe one or two Kwan fans taking issue with it and singling me out (even though maybe a couple of other posters said the SAME THING), and then me responding. Now, if there was something in that original comment that was UNIVERSALLY offensive, then maybe I was wrong. But I remember having genuine comments taken out of context before.

And it's not just for the constructive or even less-constructive criticism of Kwan because I post on FSU and it's certainly far from being a Kwan palace, and yet I'm able to take people seriously when they talk about Kwan in a less than favorable light. I have trouble with you and the way you do it. I don't have any evidence of this of course because I don't feel like wading through all of your posts, but I've been reading your posts for so long now so I know how you post. I'm not just picking on you because I liked talking to you, Off-board.

I read FSU frequently and post every now and then. I've said in the past that if anyone takes issue with something I've said, just PM me about it and we can deal with it that way. But I'd hate to just have it degenerate into all this mess.

Now, I don't remember calling MK any names, or anything like that. Occasionally I might "slip" (I'm human and not a robot) and maybe say something that might touch off some fans. But, of course, it's always been my posting style, no ill intended whatsoever.

Listen, we all overreact and make dumb comments from time to time, but after four years of it, you'd think there is something with the way you post. There are all kinds of fans here, not just Kwan fans and they're able to avoid the persucution you think you're getting.

now, I'm confused. What could I possibly WANT from these forums? I just don't get it. I'll tell you, if I truly had an agenda, it would have been war from the start. I never had any kind of pre-determined agenda, however, after certain comments were made (I think it was a year or so ago), I could see how one could have gotten that impression. But I was simply fed up with fans that singled me out for something that many other posters were doing as well.

I think you should take your own advice and follow through. You clearly don't seem to be enjoying skating that much.

from what I've POSTED, maybe. But (forgive me if this sounds wrong) there's no way for you guys to know for sure.

I think the olys should be fairly exciting, that is, if Irina doesn't have a 20-point lead by halftime :laugh: Now, one shouldn't get the impression that just because I (now) don't have a favorite skater, that I don't like skating or I'm not enjoying it. But it does make it difficult for me to truly enjoy the skating when I suddenly develop this subconscious, ever-so-slight bias against Kwan due to things that some of her fans have said to me. But that's not on topic, so n/m

I can understand that, but as someone who seems to hate the UBER fans so much, I would think it would be much better for you avoid that forum altogether. Also, getting news didn't stop you from posting on a thread with you pointing out how ridiculous they're all being.

you bet I will avoid it during the Olympics...ugh.

Now, that thread in question. My intention is never to board-drag, but since you've made this public, the comment was simply asking whether you could vote once on that poll. And another one questioning why someone believed that it was "skewed". Hardly sounds like calling them out on being "ridiculous".

You may have at one time, but it seems every post I've seen you post on this subject, you make it seem as if it's all the crazy Kwan fans fault for everything. Hell, you even started pointed at normal Kwan fans. How does that not point to most Kwan fans and only point to the ones that single you out?

Actually, the real point was that those fans in question were seriously losing it over a non-bashing comment made by me. But at that point, I'd had more than enough, so maybe it blew up into a bigger storm than it should have been.

The first time, it was alright. Forgive and forget. The second time, it was like, not again, but eventually, forgive, forget and sweep under the rug. The third time, fourth time, and fifth occurrences were when I finally decided that this was it and in a way, declared war. This shouldn't be he-said-she-said stuff, but simply a case of my view-vs-their-view-turned-personal. Now, if I'm wrong about all this, I take back what I said. But MY IMPRESSION is one of two things (or maybe both)- either some fans are really overreacting, or my posting style (the way I say things) sets those people off.

You have to understand that with the way you post, you don't get those points across at all. You sound like someone who sounds bitter that Kwan has so many fans so you take it upon yourself to bring them down a peg.

Typically, I don't feel this way. But unfortunately, after the latest incident, sometimes I couldn't help but feel this way. I always try to be fair and balanced in my posts, but all this just gets lost when I get flack from one side. Then it's just an anti-Kwanfan thing. But I've singled out the [uber] Kwanfans, when I really have had similar occurrences with uber-Cohen fans as well. (I think once or twice). Uberfans are all the same, no matter who they're a fan of.

To clarify, this is really the group of fans I'm taking issue with:

Those who are uberfans (meaning serious fanatics), insist on taking every non-praising comment as a slight, bashing other skaters/players/athletes, and getting personal with posters that don't agree with them.

It just so happens that about 90% of that group that I've dealt with happen to be uberfans of Kwan. Well, make that 95, actually. That's why all this is happening, and why it may seem I only have a problem with *Kwan* fans. I have issues with all kinds of uberfans; it's just that the vast majority of those choosing to get personal with me are Kwanfans.

I tried giving you the benefit of doubt as a young person who is still learning his way through skating and it's crazy fandom, but you really have made it hard for me to not see some sort of agenda behind your posts. I'm sorry if those aren't your intentions, but that's how you come across. I have no problem getting a long with people who don't like Kwan's style because I talk to and am pretty good friends with those who aren't, so it's not just my inability to get along with people who don't think Kwan is the sh*t.

I'm not going to attempt to preach to you to get you to change your mind about me. All I'm going to say is that I mean what I post in my NON-HEATED discussions, I don't mean any harm or ill intentions with anything I post, I'm not out to ruffle peoples' feathers (although I understand occasionally it happens), and also I'm not out to "get" anybody- by default. If you really feel as if I have an agenda, the only thing I can tell you is that I don't. But like you said, we've "known" each other through chat rooms and discussions, and although it's been a while since that last happened, what you see is what you get. That's the way I tend to discuss things.

In the "heated" posts (this counts as one BTW), I can understand people thinking I'm out to get someone. And in a way, I sort of am, but not in a malicious way. Lately, I think the posts have been getting to me a little more than usual (Olympic fever is truly here, and just about everyone, including me, is on edge), and maybe that's what caused most of this stuff.

Now, I hope to get back to some real discussion.

To summarize:

- I truly believe that Kwan would have gone to the Olys unless she couldn't. No slight there.

- I'm on the middle of the fence re. this issue. one part agrees with the decision made, another does not.

- in the end, I think the USFS made the right decision to send MK. The only reservation I had was certain posters "pounding it home" that she deserved to go because she was this champion, she can do no wrong, etc. I'll admit it was mostly on me for letting those posts get to me more than they probably should have. But I'm sort of on edge now with all that's going on. Maybe this lead to the impression I was out to "get" somebody.

- Lastly, I think Kwan is a possible contender for a medal but a long shot for Gold. Again, some have been taking issue with certain posters "hating on Kwan" and "counting her out". Once again, it's comments like these that get to me. They haven't before, but like I've said before, I'm a little on edge after all these accusations, and although I try my best to keep my cool, I just can't take it any more after a while.

that's it. oh yeah- forgive me for the length of this post-oops, I mean meaningless ramble. :biggrin:

Eeyora

Final Flight
Well I personally didn't think any less of Witt, Boitano, Browning and Petrenko after Lilihamar. It just wasn't their time. I consider them better than most o0f the skater's they beat.

I won't think any less than Michelle eiether. Should she fail.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I also believe the people won't think any less of her. Actually, I think it's been the other way around (due to the way that she handles her "losses"). But then again, once you've been at or near the top for so long, there are some that can't wait to pull you back down to the ground. I think some of the press might have a field day (mainly the NY press since that's Emily's home). But the people- very unlikely.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Ok, RD. I may have overreacted to your posts in this thread. I will take what you've written in the last post to heart and keep them in mind if I ever have those feelings about you again.

I don't think you're a bad person or anything, but I was just letting you know how I felt about your posting style some of the time. Sorry if anything I said hurt you.

R.D.

Record Breaker
it's all good, don't worry about it. In the end, it may have been needed to be said after all. No one should get the wrong idea- like I'm out to start trouble or something, because that's not the case. If it were, you would have known back when I had 5 posts, not now when I have over 3,000.

on my end, I'll try to keep my cool a little more. It's getting harder, but hopefully once the Olympic fever passes, things will slow back down.

Time for one of my favorite forum quotes: "Let's stop the hating and enjoy the skating."

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I am more of a devils advocate than Red Dog is. I often say things just to stir up conflict, although often just bluntly stating my genuine opinions does the trick. I am a nasty little diva of a skating/sports fan. :biggrin:

chuckm said:
I think the composition of the podium was an issue in deciding on whether to give Kwan the bye. If the Grand Prix Alissa (not the GPF Alissa) had shown up at Nationals and had the skate of her life, and it was Sasha, Alissa and Kimmie on the podium, Kwan might not have been named to the team. But Emily wound up 3rd with a so-so (but overmarked) FS, and Emily was the least experienced of the top 4 skaters at Nationals, and she had not had a successful GP. I think it was an easy decision for the committee.
Interesting point, Chuckm - Alissa could have given Michelle the bye bye.

Joe

RD - I think it is because you are totally wrapped up in Kwan and your posts come as yes, yes, yes to the reader. Nothing new. Latest seems to be get Kwan through Emily. yes, yes, yes,

Why not relax on Kwan. You don't have to praise her. But move on to other skaters and especially your hidden favorite.

Joe

slutskayafan21 said:
I am more of a devils advocate than Red Dog is. I often say things just to stir up conflict, although often just bluntly stating my genuine opinions does the trick. I am a nasty little diva of a skating/sports fan. :biggrin:
:laugh: :rock:

76olympics

On the Ice
I am still trying to wrap my mind around an admitted non-fan going to MKF. That just doesn't make sense. Frequent websites that lift you up and address YOUR interests. Everyone has subjects (or skaters) that just don't excite them; why waste time getting worked up over the fact that they have fans. I haven't noticed any great upsurge of Uber-Kwan fans on this site that would provoke such heated attempts to quash them. This seems to be a very balanced site to me and I have lurked here for several years.

Sheesh!

R.D.

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
RD - I think it is because you are totally wrapped up in Kwan and your posts come as yes, yes, yes to the reader. Nothing new. Latest seems to be get Kwan through Emily. yes, yes, yes,

no, what I said before applies. I'm not going to rehash what I said above. oh yeah- please forgive me for having a different (minority) opinion...

You know, there are much worse things I could have said about Kwan if I really wanted to take her down. Other posters have said far more extreme things than I have, yet I don't see them being chased down/accused of the same thing (as much). Yeah, just go after me, right? (tell me if I'm wrong about this.)

Why not relax on Kwan. You don't have to praise her. But move on to other skaters and especially your hidden favorite.

I don't have a "hidden" favorite. I'm a true non-fan, and have been for the past four years. There's no skater for me to overly praise. Trust me, if I had a favorite, you would have known by now. Or by my third post. And there'd be no question about it.

But with all due respect (forgive me again if this sounds bad) I can't see why I should withhold any thoughts I might have just to appease a select few. If someone has a problem with anything that I say in a post, I want to know about it. What I don't want is all this.

I am still trying to wrap my mind around an admitted non-fan going to MKF. That just doesn't make sense. Frequent websites that lift you up and address YOUR interests. Everyone has subjects (or skaters) that just don't excite them; why waste time getting worked up over the fact that they have fans. I haven't noticed any great upsurge of Uber-Kwan fans on this site that would provoke such heated attempts to quash them.

you're right. but MKF often has news bits and articles that aren't posted here. Same with other fan sites- they often get the news before the general forums do, or get some exclusive stories or tidbits that you would never get on a forum like this...

I don't care if Kwan has 3859548392 fans. What I do care about is about 10 of those 3859548392 fans are choosing to get personal. And I don't like that. But here's the real gotcha- this is not happening on the MKF. It's happening HERE. MKF has nothing to do with this situation.

There has been no "great upsurge" of Uber Kwan fans; however, I've noticed that tempers and feelings are running high in this Olympic Season, and everyone (not just on this forum, everywhere) seems to be on edge. There have been many overreactions to comments made. I'm sure I've overreacted to some comments, and some people have overreacted to comments I've made and that others have made. Also, I've seen some newer posters coming out of "lurkdom" to defend Kwan as well. Not a bad thing, you see. I don't care about that. What I do care about is when things get personal. i.e. you're a "Kwan hater" if you don't think X and Y about her, or "you don't know anything about figure skating" if you don't know Z about her, it goes on and on. But otherwise, I could care less.

I (would like to ) end this here.

mzheng

Record Breaker
chuckm said:
I think the composition of the podium was an issue in deciding on whether to give Kwan the bye. If the Grand Prix Alissa (not the GPF Alissa) had shown up at Nationals and had the skate of her life, and it was Sasha, Alissa and Kimmie on the podium, Kwan might not have been named to the team. But Emily wound up 3rd with a so-so (but overmarked) FS, and Emily was the least experienced of the top 4 skaters at Nationals, and she had not had a successful GP. I think it was an easy decision for the committee.
But chuckm, even you back out as a Kwan fan position. Do you really think if Alissa and Kimmie finished behind Sasha(in any order), it is fair for IC deny Kwan's petetion at the first round? All Kwan had asked in her petetion was giving her two weeks to prove herself. But I do think the vote could be a lot closer. But as far as there is someone in committee made a case for Kwan, she would get the first round bye (the conditional one)...then pendding for the 2nd round monitoring process to approve.

It was the performances of ladies in Nationals (aside from Sasha) that made them desperately want a health Kwan at Turino. Plus the 'rumor' about the extend of her injuries (from Frank?) floated around at Nationals, these are the reasons that IC spend intire 45 min going over MK's medical/health document and disscussion.....no mention about the Emily. Had it be Alissa, there would be some mentions to her and arguments being made on her behalf, but by the end, I still think they would still grant Kwan the first round bye. though the vote could be more closer....and the vote of monitoring group could be some split.

S

SkateFan4Life

curious said:
Nope. She has to justify her place in the team with a medal in Torino or the media will crush her. Is not fair to her,but is already happening.

I have to agree with you, at least to a degree. There have been plenty in the media who felt that it was "unfair" for Michelle to gain a spot on the Olympic team when she did not compete at Nationals. This discontent doesn't just apply to her no-show at Nationals, but to the fact she, apparently, simply has not modified her competitive programs to gain maximum points with COP. She really has no excuse for not "getting with the program". Does she think that the judges should somehow look the other way and still award her a gold medal if her programs are not competitive? Wishful thinking, Michelle.

If Michelle wins the gold medal, she will be everyone's hero. If she wins silver or bronze, she will have at least justified her selection for the team. If she falters and/or skates relatively clean programs but finishes fifth or sixth, there will be a lot of carping in the media.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't know why Kwan should be expected to bring home a medal, much less the gold, just because she replaced Emily. Does a 4th place for Kwan prove that Emily was more deserving? Hell, NO! A 14th place for Emily would be her lucky day!

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
chuckm said:
I don't know why Kwan should be expected to bring home a medal, much less the gold, just because she replaced Emily. Does a 4th place for Kwan prove that Emily was more deserving? Hell, NO! A 14th place for Emily would be her lucky day!

Emily should be relieved she did not go. She might have replaced Bobek as worst U.S finisher in many many year(Bobek was 17th)even with her usual effort, and it could have been confidence shattering. Going to Worlds in a possably depleted field might be a better start to her World/Olympic career.