American Idol 5/6 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

American Idol 5/6

M

mike79

Re: OH NO...IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD!!!!

Hi HamiltonBrowningFan

Sorry, I can't vote since I live in Canada. Don't take the Josh criticism so personally. I personally think he was out of his league with the rest of the competition. I think he should have gone before Rickey, Kim C, and Vanessa, but it's only my opinion. It's not like I was attacking you or anyone else. If you think that what I say is harsh about the guy you should check out some other sites. Remember, it's a TV show. We have to have our favorites and those we can't stand.:p

H

HamiltonBrowningFan

Re: OH NO...IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD!!!!

I wasn't being harsh... I'm just tired of going to those boards and reading "OMG it's so horrible such and such is still on the show... the people who are voting suck" when those that do that are NORMALLY just as American as the rest of us.

I didn't take it personally nor am I *just* standing up for Josh. Kim C was consistantly flat, but she had good flare, the biggest travesty about her is that Carmen beat her... and that just wasn't fair. Vanessa annoyed the heck out of me... everyone who said that KIM C had a bad attitude forgot about Vanessa. And those who complain about Josh... well... yeah same as Kim...

Rickey was good, and sounds awesome on the CD, but Ruben beat him out... they have the same sort of style... and Ruben is more consistant with teh notes... Rickey drove a lot of notes horribly sharp

I'm not saying Josh was perfect... but I'm saying that based on Tues. night he still had a chance... Kim and Ruben and Clay(to some extent) didn't up the ante from last week... and Josh just shone thru. Yeah he sings in the most unpopular style AFTER Christian... but he does it darn well... and could beat out Garth Brooks, AND Alan Jackson any day of the week...

Josh Gracin, I salute you! :)

R

RealtorGal

Re: American Idol 5/6

<span style="color:maroon;font-family:comic sans ms;font-size:small;">Do any of you remember the wildcard show? Did any of the final three come out of the wildcard show? How did that work? Since I didn't see the show last year (my teaching night), I did not understand the rules of that particular part of the competition.

Thanks! :D </span>

R

rgirl181

Re: WARNING! Realistic & Rgirl Agree!

:rollin: Rgirl sings:
<em>It's the end of the world as we know it
Realistic and Rgirl just showed it
They agreed on AI
Now the world's gonna die
If R&R can decide how they'll blow it</em>

<strong>Randy:</strong> Yo, yo, Rgirl. How ya doin' dawg? Ah, didn't really do it for me. Kind of pitchy. Not your night.
<strong>Paula:</strong> Rgirl, gosh, you come out here every week and really try. I hear potential, I hear effort, but you've got to work on your technique. But you know I'm such a big fan of yours:D
<strong>Simon:</strong> Awful. Horrible. I...I don't even have the words. Literally, it made me sick. The rhymes were terrible, they weren't on the meter, you blew it. I've heard better at nursery school poetry contests. You have no business being here. Sorry.

:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p
Rgirl
The American AntiIdol

H

heyang

Hey RealtorGal.

This year's wildcard was different. Last season, the judges picked one wildcard to advance to the final 10. This year, each judge got to pick one and the audience chose the 1 to make 12 finalists.

Simon picked Carmen - took him a while to admit he was wrong. Paula picked Trenyce and Randy chose Blonde Kim. The audience picked CLAY for the final spot - he didn't make it through the initial rounds (I don't think he was even in the initial 30 brought to Hollywood).

M

mike79

Clay was in the final 32 but he was on the 2nd show of 8 finalists, the show that had the strongest competition. Ruben, Kim L, Clay, and Hadas were all on that week. The top 3 were Ruben, Kim, and Clay, with Ruben and Kim getting through that week. All of the judges that week told Clay to look forward to the wildcard show after he wasn't voted through to the final 12.

R

RealtorGal

<span style="color:blue;font-family:comic sans ms;font-size:small;">The part that confuses me is how some people like Trenyce made it to the finals when they didn't even get picked to go to Hollywood. Out of all the contestants, I wonder how the judges remembered that one individual who they felt was overlooked. Amazing that Clay almost got completely overlooked.

In comparison, was it always obvious last year that Kelly would win?

I am totally going to miss this show next year (like OH MY GOSH AM I FIFTEEN OR WHAT?) :rollin:

I have no interest in watching the kids' version. I saw the commercial with all these whining parents claiming their kid was robbed--I had enough of those kinds of parents during my voice teaching days. Poor kids!</span>

H

heyang

Last year's wild card selection was based upon the top vote getters who weren't already in the top 10.

I think they realized that they overlooked several good voices - it's easy to get lost in the shuffle when so many voices are heard each day. So, this year, the judges reviewed the tapes. They were able to choose some from the top 30 and some from the tapes to bring into the wildcard competition.

Actually, it wasn't obvious that Kelly would win. She just improved steadily as each week passed. I believe Tamayra was the initial favorite and made it to the final 4. Unfortunately, she had one so-so week and Nikki had a fabulous week and Tamayra was booted. After that, Kelly was the favorite. A lot of people lost interest because Tamayra vs Kelly would have been a difficult decision. Kelly vs Justin/Nikki was a no-brainer IMO

JOHIO> I was just wondering what you think of the competitors. I recall your daughter tried to tryout. Do you objectively think that she would have been competitive against this group?

J

JOHIO2

Hey all,

OK, I'll bite. I actually got to watch AI this week (no choir for awhile - we just had our spring concert).

Josh being booted didn't surprise me, but I've only watched the beginning shows, the "behind AI" and how we got our competitors thing before this week. I kept hearing about him 'cuz the patriotic thing he had going for him. But I wasn't overly impressed by either song he sang. Now that AI competition has spawned a country version, I think he'd have been better off on that show. Still, gotta give the kid credit for trying.

Kim - what can I say? She just doesn't get it. The vocal gymnastics get in the way of the songs she did. I didn't feel like she had anything new to contribute to either.

Reuben...gotta agree with those who found the background vocals drowning him out on first song. Loved second song. Reuben feels what he's singing and brings his audience along for the ride.

Clay. Didn't hear the "Grease" number (potty break) but I did like his first song. Don't know what else to say about him. He's got the potential pop idol look going , but I wish he'd lay off the grimaces and excessive facial expressions. We want to HEAR the song, not get carried away with his mime act.

Who'll be final 2? Based on how they actually performed - Clay and Reuben. Based on show demographics? Maybe Kim will survive, just to have the boy/girl showdown.

My daughter hasn't really followed this year's AI as much as one might think, after trying out for the show. She also has Tues. evening rehersals. She has decided she still wants to be famous, so she has been accumulating musicians and studio time. She has a some tracks she is finally happy with - all jazz numbers. But she has also been performing locally with a number of musicians and has developed her own following.

Since my daughter was a Downbeat Mag. vocal solist award winner in high school, she does have a voice and her own style and AI just wouldn't have been good for her. I say ya gotta love what you're doing if you want to get an audience to love your performance. As she told the soprano soloist after my concert, "you have to understand the words and feel the meaning and message" of a song. That soloist she complimented "got it." Her performance was just beautiful, not just a pretty girl with a gorgeous voice singing a wonderful classic air. She had the audience believing that she believed in what she was singing. I think RG will agree with that. All the physical outside and all the vocal talent in the world doesn't mean much without the part of "getting it."

Wish I had more to offer on AI, but since I really haven't followed the contest much, this last show is all I have to go on for those 4 singers. Actually forgot to watch and see who survived. I'm taking y'all's word for it. Will I watch next week? Maybe.

R

rgirl181

Rgirl's AI Summary of This and Last Year for Rgal:D
Re Trenyce: Actually about 240 were brought out to Hollywood out of the cold auditions. Then they broke them up into groups of I forget how many (a dozen?) and just had a cattle drive head 'em up, weed 'em out process to get down to the final 32. Then they had four groups of eight. Two contestants from each group of eight could be selected. As Heyang mentioned with Clay, he was in an especially strong group (hmm, this is sounding like Worlds QR:lol: ), so the wildcard thing is there in part to make sure people get through who were in situations like Clay.

Trenyce was in the final group of 32 and was picked by Paula as a wildcard. The other three were Kim C, picked by Randy (BTW she now has a job with ESPN Sports--I can just see it, our next FS commentator:rolleyes: ), Carmen (Simon's pick, Clay's honey--they may still tour together:smokin: ), and Clay (audience pick). By the time it came to picking the wild cards, the judges mostly went with people from the four groups of eight. There were one or two from the 240, like the girl who sang "Angel" twice and blew her chances, that they picked up from watching videos of the Hollywood performances. In the original cold auditions Clay literally looked like the Howdy Doody puppet--that's what everybody called him, "the Howdy Doody guy with the great voice." He has naturally bright red hair that's kind of curly, he wore dork glasses, and just had geek written all over him. At the end, no doubt they will show Clay on tape standing before the judges asking him, "Why are you here?" with Clay, looking like a skinny, round-shouldered dork saying, "Because I think I'm the next American Idol" in his country twang.

About Tamyra: Tamyra was a stand-out from the git, very polished but also knew how to communicate a song--most of the time. Every guest artist who worked with the group said they would record her in a minute. She faltered near the end as Heyang said, when I think a lot of people first started tuning in, really paying attention, and voting, and got booted off instead of Nikki McKibbon (Janice Joplin wannabe, not even close, but who had a good night the night Tamyra had problems). I think a lot of people voted that night who hadn't been following the show.

About Kelly: She was uneven in the beginning--always great pipes but didn't always know how to put the song together. Then about the third or fourth week she sang "Natural Woman" and blew the roof off the place. Standing O before she was finished. After that she significantly improved every week and by mid competition sounded like a pro. With Kelly, even more so than Tamyra, although Tamyra was technically probably better, you got the sense (at least IMO) that she knew how to convey the heart of the song, what you and JOHIO talk about, singing as if you really mean what you're singing. And she had great versatility, from "Respect" to "Walk on By" to "Stuff Like That There." If it would have, as it should have, come down to Kelly and Tamyra it would have been a choice between better technique (Tamyra) and better soul (for lack of a better word, Kelly). Kelly also always seemed very real, down to earth, and comfortable with herself. Tamyra did come off in the videos they did as a little high strung, but only a little. None of the women this year are even in the same league with Tamyra or Kelly, IMO. But this year the guys in general were better than the guys last year, I think. Last year some of the girls were also extraordinarily beautiful, too. There was one named Christina (?) I think who didn't have the chops but was really lovely.

I'm sure I sound 15 talking about the show, but it is easy to get caught up in watching people go from Joe and Jane Schmo to being celebrities. I think people improved more last year from beginning to end, and that was fun to watch. Again, I don't know why they didn't have guest artists working with them this year like they did last year. One interesting comparison if you ever get the chance is to tune in "Star Search" and listen to those singers. They have kids who are five who sound like they've been singing in Vegas for 20 years. And nobody, of any age, points--ever! Plus Frank Zappa's son is one of the judges and I just love him. Besides Ahmad Zappa, it's Naomi Judd and Ben Stein (of "Win Ben Stein's Money"), and then they have a guest. I haven't been following "Star Search" but I tuned into it and "America's Most Talented Kid" (I couldn't help myself) a couple of times. Yeah, the parents of the kids can be very scary. Props to Simon for stating publicly that he wants nothing to do with AI Jr.

That's everything I can think of to fill you in, which I'm sure is much more than you care to know:lol: What does Rgal Jr. think of AI, not just who she wants to win but of the whole thing?
Rgirl