Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Zhangs out of Grand Prix

Hybrid View

Custom Title

Zhangs out of Grand Prix

It's official. Zhang/Zhang are scratched from the roster for Cup of China and TEB. Was kind of expecting this. Like him (kind of like a big loveable panda), never liked her. But still, yet another bites the dust due to injuries. Any idea who's likely to be replacement pair(s)?

Custom Title
    Lord, almost gave me a heart attack-- thought this was about Caroline at first. Well, I can't say this is too tragic, never having really been a fan of their skating....still though, too bad.

I'm hoping that Sui/Han will be given a second GP, either in France or China. That would be awesome. Maybe they can qualify for the senior GP.

Custom Title
    I wonder if this could be the first step to retirement. I just saw that they were twice number two at the world championships so maybe they will continue until they are world champions or Olympic champions 2014 or 2018!!!

Custom Title
    They have been on the decline for the past 2 years. They just can't get on the podium anymore, even with more impressive tricks than everyone else. Maybe it's time to call it a day.

They could retire. I agree with FlattFan - they have been around awhile, without significant improvement and while their level of skating didn't really drop, they dropped in the eyes of the judges. How old are they anyway, exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by feraina View Post
    I'm hoping that Sui/Han will be given a second GP, either in France or China. That would be awesome. Maybe they can qualify for the senior GP.
    Z/Z's replacements have been announced:
    http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=2135

Sui/Han will indeed compete in China! Kadlecova/Bidar (CZE) will replace Z/Z in France.

I'm a little worried about S/H competing so much this season. They already did two JGP's, and now they will have two GP's back-to-back. And then they will attend at least one of JGPF/GPF, then National's, then JW. That's a lot for one season! I hope they don't burn out by the time JW rolls around. I'm thinking about the two seasons in which Mao and Caroline at 14 did well on the GP series (Mao won GPF, Caroline got 4th), they both went back to JW, made mistakes, and were overtaken by others to win silver.

Custom Title
    Perhaps it will be this injury that will inform them of how they might "re-invent" themselves should they decide to return to compete. Their accomplishments are already quite full and complete. Will hope they return with strength in more ways than just a return to physical health.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by feraina View Post
    Z/Z's replacements have been announced:
    http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=2135

Sui/Han will indeed compete in China! Kadlecova/Bidar (CZE) will replace Z/Z in France.

I'm a little worried about S/H competing so much this season. They already did two JGP's, and now they will have two GP's back-to-back. And then they will attend at least one of JGPF/GPF, then National's, then JW. That's a lot for one season! I hope they don't burn out by the time JW rolls around. I'm thinking about the two seasons in which Mao and Caroline at 14 did well on the GP series (Mao won GPF, Caroline got 4th), they both went back to JW, made mistakes, and were overtaken by others to win silver.
    It is a real worry and not just for burnout issues. As a veteran of the trip, going from Asia to USA is far harder on the body than the other way around, and about 90% of my fellow travellers agree. It takes days to get back "in phase" when you head eastbound through that many time zones. If I were a coach, there's no way I would put a pairs team on Cup of China followed by Skate America, especially one that had already done two major competitions within the previous month, and were facing another a few weeks later. It's scarier for pairs than singles, as a miscue because if a skater's body or head is a bit off, could lead to a bad accident. I'm rather aghast, frankly. They are being pushed too hard.

Custom Title
    It makes me think of Denis Ten last season. Going all over the place and competing at everything and the Jr Worlds comes in and splat.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    It is a real worry and not just for burnout issues. As a veteran of the trip, going from Asia to USA is far harder on the body than the other way around, and about 90% of my fellow travellers agree. It takes days to get back "in phase" when you head eastbound through that many time zones. If I were a coach, there's no way I would put a pairs team on Cup of China followed by Skate America, especially one that had already done two major competitions within the previous month, and were facing another a few weeks later. It's scarier for pairs than singles, as a miscue because if a skater's body or head is a bit off, could lead to a bad accident. I'm rather aghast, frankly. They are being pushed too hard.
    Well, to be fair, they had already been assigned to SA, so they had to make that trip no matter what. They are not adding much to their travel schedule to compete in Cup of China in addition to SA. It's more the stress of being in another major competition. But considering it's very close to where they train, and there's no real expectation on them to do well, maybe it's not a big deal.

As for traveling east versus west, I don't think it makes much difference when it's basically half way around the planet. :P But yes, that much traveling and that many time zones are definitely hard on the body. Good luck to them!

Custom Title
    Get well soon Z&Z!

Dan and Hao have skated for so long that most peple think they are older than they are, it seems that their second senior copetition was the 2002 Olympics, when they were 17!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORu5CIpVraw

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cornell08 View Post
    Lord, almost gave me a heart attack-- thought this was about Caroline at first. Well, I can't say this is too tragic, never having really been a fan of their skating....still though, too bad.
    That was my first thought as well, Cornell--that "Zhang" meant Caroline. A relief that it's not our Ms. Zhang. I do feel bad for the Zhangs, though. But they're tenacious--remember their gutsy performance at the '06 Olympics after her fall? I assume they'll be back, and maybe this time off will give them the chance to rethink their approach.

Custom Title
    They started skating together in the 1990's when very young, and also got on the intl junior circuit young, so that's why it seems that now they should be about 40 years old.

I wish somebody else could be found to skate with Hao (male) Zhang. Dan (female) Zhang especially just doesn't seem to want to skate anymore. The problem is the Chinese national training system won't likely allow this to happen. For same reason, I'm not optimistic on seeing improvements in things they lack (she lacks) most, like artistic impression and sense of music. Hopefully they can at least for later this season, avoid music choices and crummy choreography they can't carry off, and costuming disasters like last year's Mankini.
    Last edited by bigsisjiejie; 10-11-2010 at 09:40 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast