2013 Worlds Ladies SP | Page 70 | Golden Skate

2013 Worlds Ladies SP

venlac

On the Ice
Yes, others were over-scored. Yu Na shouldn't be complaining. She is in first place with a very good score. If she skates clean, no one can catch her. Even if she makes a mistake like popping a solo triple into a double, she should still win. She controls her own destiny.

others were overscore is the same mean "judges harsh to a only yuna". isn't it ..? why do you think 'yuna can't complaining'
and carolina's the second 3T was <, but got the benefit call. mao's 3A was 2 foot, but +goe. yuna's 3F(without any problem) get "e" mark.
And I think overall score was ungenerous than other competitions (except carolina and osmond)

I just remember that Ashley, Mao got 66+ at the GPF without 3-3 or 3Lz. :eek:hwell:

ForeverFish

Medalist
Strangely that is the way she skated when she first appeared on the national scene and one of the things I liked most about her, but no so much anymore imo.

She didn't really have anything to lose when she started out. Now that she does...

bara1968

On the Ice
I was just reading posts here for many years, but I registered finally since I really was infuriated by the scoring yesterday.Oh well, Yuna has every right to complain. She was clearly underscored with widely controversial "e"-mark with 3F, which in my eyes and within the eyes of Euro commentators, was executed superb way as usual, with slight in-edge. Yes, 70-0.03 is good score. But she definitely deserved more score in both TES wise and PCS wise, especially when Caro's were even higher than Olympic clean Yuna's. (which was already inflated back then, so Caro got higher than this, is just wrong.) I get that Caro has good qualities, but yesterday's with the fall, that was not, really not superior to Yuna's in every aspect.

bmelanie

On the Ice
You have to set aside whatever feelings you have regarding her and just listen to the music and watch what she's doing. There's a rise and fall in the program (mood, intensity...expand and contract) that she reflects on the ice with her movements. It's not so much about hitting a beat b/c anyone can do that. Gracie's program hits many accents on the music throughout...however her delivery of it leaves me yawning. Why? It looks rehearsed and thought out and there's no other connection to the music or movement.

Carolina's movements are effortless and organic. She flows extremely well in her movements so much so that it doesn't look like "choreography." What's more, the music is part of the program instead of just background noise. There's great attention to detail and the music she picks isn't always easy to skate. It takes a special skater to make a difficult piece of music work. Add that to her effortless speed, edging, gorgeous lines, etc. and she is a remarkable skater.

The jump difficulty isn't her forte but I've learned to appreciate her for what she does well. Two years ago I couldn't stand Carolina...but I get her now. Not everyone will though...

To me, she's the best in that regard. Not to say that others aren't great...but her programs along with her delivery set her ahead of the bunch most of the time.

I have to concur with your comments regarding her flow. She's one of the smoothest, flexible, elegant figure skaters out there right now. I admire the lyrical but natural qualities in her movements...though I always think there are moments when she goes aboard (the hand-shaking always makes me snort a little). She's naturally long-limbed in a lovely coltish way, and I thought the transitions coming out of her jumps were great in her SP.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
OK. Really, I want to TRY to understand why people think Kostner has good artistry, interpretation and choreography. Because I really don't see it.

Here is Kostner's SP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5suwKlI9ZB4

Can you tell me which part specifically? Do you mean 1:56? Or 2:07? Please show me.

People with eyes and ears like what Caro's done in the past few years.
But if you don't, that's ok, too. I can live without finding youtube clips of Japanese skaters impeding Carolina Kostner in practice. :biggrin:

kimganos

On the Ice
You have to set aside whatever feelings you have regarding her and just listen to the music and watch what she's doing. There's a rise and fall in the program (mood, intensity...expand and contract) that she reflects on the ice with her movements. It's not so much about hitting a beat b/c anyone can do that. Gracie's program hits many accents on the music throughout...however her delivery of it leaves me yawning. Why? It looks rehearsed and thought out and there's no other connection to the music or movement.

Carolina's movements are effortless and organic. She flows extremely well in her movements so much so that it doesn't look like "choreography." What's more, the music is part of the program instead of just background noise. There's great attention to detail and the music she picks isn't always easy to skate. It takes a special skater to make a difficult piece of music work. Add that to her effortless speed, edging, gorgeous lines, etc. and she is a remarkable skater.

The jump difficulty isn't her forte but I've learned to appreciate her for what she does well. Two years ago I couldn't stand Carolina...but I get her now. Not everyone will though...

To me, she's the best in that regard. Not to say that others aren't great...but her programs along with her delivery set her ahead of the bunch most of the time.

ITA with this.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
OK. Really, I want to TRY to understand why people think Kostner has good artistry, interpretation and choreography. Because I really don't see it.

Can you tell me which part specifically? Do you mean 1:56? Or 2:07? Please show me.

I admit I wasn't a fan of Carolina's programs before last year's LP, but she has some pretty programs this year. They might not be artistic genius, but she really tries to sell them (crazy expressions or otherwise) and succeeds for the most part because her movements aren't half-heartedly done. :yay:

Thanks for making this board a less welcoming place for people to talk about things you personally aren't interested in. I'll be sure to run all future post ideas by you before I say anything ever again.

Oh please, I'm mild at best compared to many others of this forum. But if you would like to do that, that's fine by me. Thaaaaanks. :p

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I was just reading posts here for many years, but I registered finally since I really was infuriated by the scoring yesterday.Oh well, Yuna has every right to complain. She was clearly underscored with widely controversial "e"-mark with 3F, which in my eyes and within the eyes of Euro commentators, was executed superb way as usual, with slight in-edge. Yes, 70-0.03 is good score. But she definitely deserved more score in both TES wise and PCS wise, especially when Caro's were even higher than Olympic clean Yuna's. (which was already inflated back then, so Caro got higher than this, is just wrong.) I get that Caro has good qualities, but yesterday's with the fall, that was not, really not superior to Yuna's in every aspect.

I think that the "e" was unwarranted on the flip but then again, I don't get why people are so outraged. There have been many times where a skater receives a questionable call yet not nearly this amount of hell is raised b/c of it.

It seems like people feel b/c she nailed the jumps her score should be 74+ automatically. I don't think that performance was worth more than a little over 70. The jumps were great (including the 3F) and she executed everything, but I don't feel her performance stood out other than from a technical standpoint. Spins and footwork, program as a whole...she was solid but I think there were a number of people who were better in those areas.

I think some fans are having a hard time realizing that in her absence there are skaters who have closed the gap somewhat, whereas before a clean skate in the SP would have had Yu-Na at least 5 points ahead of her nearest competitor. From a technical stanpoint in regards to jumps, she's still the best overall (though if Gracie Gold landed her jumps consistently that title would belong to her). In terms of spins, footwork, and programs, Yu-Na is not at the top anymore IMO. Her spins (aside from the layover camel which is excellent) are average to good; her footwork is still very good but I do think both Carolina and Mao have her beat; in terms of programs, it's completely subjective. I think the program is good but not outstanding...

I was happy to see Yu-Na return with one of the few clean skates of the event, especially b/c I was skeptical about her being able to handle the pressure of coming back to this level of competititon. I thought skated very well and I thought her score was good...but all of the wuz robbed talk is kinda wrecking it for me, especially when she's in the lead. It's confusing. Are people mad that she's not 5-10 points ahead? I'm just wondering why some people are so upset...

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I think that the "e" was unwarranted on the flip but then again, I don't get why people are so outraged. There have been many times where a skater receives a questionable call yet not nearly this amount of hell is raised b/c of it.

It seems like people feel b/c she nailed the jumps her score should be 74+ automatically. I don't think that performance was worth more than a little over 70. The jumps were great (including the 3F) and she executed everything, but I don't feel her performance stood out other than from a technical standpoint. Spins and footwork, program as a whole...she was solid but I think there were a number of people who were better in those areas.

I think some fans are having a hard time realizing that in her absence there are skaters who have closed the gap somewhat, whereas before a clean skate in the SP would have had Yu-Na at least 5 points ahead of her nearest competitor. From a technical stanpoint in regards to jumps, she's still the best overall (though if Gracie Gold landed her jumps consistently that title would belong to her). In terms of spins, footwork, and programs, Yu-Na is not at the top anymore IMO. Her spins (aside from the layover camel which is excellent) are average to good; her footwork is still very good but I do think both Carolina and Mao have her beat; in terms of programs, it's completely subjective. I think the program is good but not outstanding...

I was happy to see Yu-Na return with one of the few clean skates of the event, especially b/c I was skeptical about her being able to handle the pressure of coming back to this level of competititon. I thought skated very well and I thought her score was good...but all of the wuz robbed talk is kinda wrecking it for me, especially when she's in the lead. It's confusing. Are people mad that she's not 5-10 points ahead? I'm just wondering why some people are so upset...
I completely agree with you, but I think that what makes so many people angry is the fact that Carolina is just 3 points behind with easier jumps and a fall but, as you said, Yu-Na's choreography was not really something extraordinary, and her spins and steps are not the best in the world, anymore... There is more than jumps in figure skating! And, I think that this competition was really well-judged, the judges gave fair marks, they're not the ones who have to be blamed for the "unfair" scoring, it's the system; this said, I think that the result of this SP (with Carolina and Kanako practically tied) is absolutely correct!

waxel

Final Flight

Couldn't agree more. Carolina has grown on me over the years--- not even sure why--- but I have never thought she had good artistry or interpretation. Without question, her marks were inflated.

I would love for US to gain three spots, otherwise I'd just like to see a solid, clean, fairly-judged competition and let the ice-chips fall where they may.

Krislite

Medalist
You guys make it sound like it's just a bunch of Yunatics raising ruckus about the scores, but even many non-Yuna fans, experts and TV commentators are questioning the judges' generosity to Carolina and that edge call on Yuna's 3Flip. The silence and gasps in audience were audible to the judges when Carolina received her score.

Personally, I'm not uber outraged compared to others, but I do think Carolina was generously marked. She's not the only one, though. I think in general falls are not punished enough in CoP. But that's another topic.

R.D.

Record Breaker
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...gner-gracie-gold-world-championships/1988393/

"After a clean, but safe program, Wagner said she put herself within 'fighting distance' of a medal with a score of 63.98. Instead of attempting a triple-triple combination, she went with the triple-double since so much is on the line. In the long program, she plans to skate aggressively to keep up with the big guns."

There was also another interview where Ashley said that Nicks told her before she started to skate how she felt safest. She didn't feel safe going into the planned 3-3, so she doubled the second toe loop.

Thanks. Wagner is making a big deal about the three spots - in the meantime I'm thinking, poor GG for having that pressure mounted on her...but you know what, Wagner is absolutely dead on. She told it like it is. It HAS been too long and we've squandered numerous chances in recent years. In fact, not a single 2008er has improved (or even matched) her previous Worlds showing when attending consecutive World championships. Flatt went 5th, 9th...Czisny went 5th, 22nd(!)...Even going further back, Meissner went 1st-4th-7th...EHughes was 9th in 2007 (I think she was 7th in 2006 but not sure). Now, Wagner will be 4th-??th...

Good luck to the two of them- Wagner at least has a decent handle on her nerves (her issue is mainly getting ahead of herself)...but I'm still worried about Gold. She needs a solid FS just to keep her 9th (or move up to 8th)...she's only done it once this season and that was at Nationals, post-disaster SP and no pressure left. She has been mediocre in every other FS perhaps with the exception of COR...

R.D.

Record Breaker
Personally, I'm not uber outraged compared to others, but I do think Carolina was generously marked. She's not the only one, though. I think in general falls are not punished enough in CoP. But that's another topic.

Well...it is Kostner after all. It's just one of those unwritten rules in skating...I've gotten used to it. I've given up trying to understand the judges' love affair with her. Having said that, I've noticed improvement in recent years. Kostner has ALWAYS been the recipient of some score padding though.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I completely agree with you, but I think that what makes so many people angry is the fact that Carolina is just 3 points behind with easier jumps and a fall but, as you said, Yu-Na's choreography was not really something extraordinary, and her spins and steps are not the best in the world, anymore... There is more than jumps in figure skating! And, I think that this competition was really well-judged, the judges gave fair marks, they're not the ones who have to be blamed for the "unfair" scoring, it's the system; this said, I think that the result of this SP (with Carolina and Kanako practically tied) is absolutely correct!

On my blog I posted an entry called "I'll Be the Judge of That" where I went back and scored the US nationals b/c I was really confused with the scores some of the skaters got. Given the falls from Gracie in the SP and Ashley in the FS, I thought the scores were completely wrong and unfair. I was genuinely shocked when I tallied up the scores I gave and realized that my scores were right on par with the judges' for Gracie's SP and Ashley's FS. It made me realize that in this system a fall is not the death sentence it once was.

I get people are hung up on Carolina's fall but it's only one element. Everything else was very well done. What happened on element 2 isn't supposed to affect element 3 thru 7....or even the PCS as I understand it. This is how the scoring system works. Now I expected Carolina to score 63 or 64, so I did think 66 was a bit high but then again, maybe not. I'm going to go back and score this competition too once it's over and post my results to my blog.

As for Yu-Na, I thought the score was fair for the most part. For those who say it's 3-5 points too low, I'd be interested to know where those points would come from. Add back the 0.20 she lost in GOE from the flip and count the +GOE as maybe a +1.00 total, that still gives you just over 71.00. Where do the rest of the points come from? PCS? I think all fans should try the scoring for yourself thing. Saying Carolina should have scored 58 or Yu-Na should have scored 74 is easy...but I've learned that just b/c a score sounds right doesn't mean it actually adds up when you do the math.

cheerio2

On the Ice

Agreed. I have nothing against Caro and think overall she's a beautiful skater, but I remember someone on this forum pointing out that in gymnastics, a fall is a mandatory 1 point deduction out of a total score of around 20. Whereas in figure skating a fall results in a 1 point deduction out of a total score of over 200.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Yuna had always been overmarked in the past. Hello. Look at World 2011, in the SP, she had a big step out, which was disruptive. She was not doing any hard jump that justified her big score either. No 3x3, step out, terrible program, and still placed first. Then now,all the Yuna fans came out for Caro? Really?

I think Yuna's SP is terrible this year, she should get max 32 on PCS. So her score should be 68.
Caro, I think was overscored by 2 points on TES. So her score should be 65 or so.

Overall, the placement is correct. The points difference is also correct.
Kanako is overscored by a bit. Her jumps should not get +GOE even rotated.
Osmond is wild and unpolished, but her score is correct as is.

I would have
1. Kim 68
2. Kostner 65
3. Osmond 64
4. Kanako 63
5. Wagner 62
6. Akiko 61
7. Mao 60

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
plushyfan said:
I believe Adelina was underscored.

I thought so too, though not by that much - I wouldn't place her over Akiko. But looking at the PCS... she's nearly tied with Gracie, over a point behind Kaetlyn and Kanako and over 2 behind Ashley. Mhm.

The placements are fine I guess, but Kanako should have been slightly ahead of Caro I think. Not under this system though - it's the "is wish falls were penalized more severly"-argument.
And I'm not sure I like Mao beating Akiko here. But it was clear it would happen like this...