Ban on Carolina Kostner Over | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ban on Carolina Kostner Over

Meoima

Match Penalty
I mean, okay she should be punished. But longer than the athlete who actually took the drug himself. :mad: what is this kind of logic??

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
I am not sure, but has there ever been case at all where an athlete was stripped of a title or medal when there was no evidence or even hint that it was won by illegal means? No matter what Caro has done regarding her friends case, but atm it still looks like she won her medals fair and square. On what basis of ruling can they be taken away from her just to punish her?

Last edited:

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
This is nonsense :hopelessness: She was aware of something for sure, but it is a "reasonable" thing not to go to the police and tell them that your boyfriend is doing "something strange"... That said, since this is illegal she should be punished, but in a reasonable way!!

What if he thought he was a serial murder...a crime is a crime...

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I don't think she would lose her medals. She didn't use PEDs and she didn't take out one of her competitors, so as far as the integrity of the competitions she participated in there is no impact from whatever she did with her boyfriend.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
I would fine her, Ban her for whatever time,

And take away her Olympic Bronze, And then give her her rightful Olympic medal :cool:

I don't get the sense in this, She wasn't doped or anything at the time she won her medals,
Are they just trying to scare her into a deal or something?

Last edited:

Alex D

Record Breaker
If anyone could post the § under which this case should fall then I could have a look and give a bit of legal advice.

In general, She can only be banned or stripped of her medals if there is a rule that she broke. That rule must be applicable to the case and her guild must be proven etc.

So if anyone could post it please ;)

And please leave Gracie out of this, she has nothing to do with all of that and if medals are stripped then this is because of someone elses fault and not because of Gracies missing singles medal.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
This is absurdity. When there are no good reasons, bad reasons will be suspected.

However, the AP report itself is unclear, stating first that the ban will prevent her participation in the 2018 Olympics and then, at the end of the article, says, "It remains unclear if she could be banned retroactively and stripped of medals." For her to both be striped of her 2014 Olympic medal and be banned from 2018 Olympics, the banned period would have to start within 2 1/2 months right before the Sochi Olympics. How would they justify that? Oh, wait, how do they justify banning her so much longer than the dope himself?

In any case, her non-Olympic medals should be safe outside of the IOC's jurisdiction. Oh, wait, maybe ISU has reasons to want to follow the IOC's measures?

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Of course, but there is no evidence that she actually knew what Alex was really doing. We can imagine that she had noticed something (she has stated that herself), but he was her boyfriend after all, not just "another" athlete; given how shy Carolina is, the whole situation gets even more complicated... But after all the thing is that this proposal is just silly.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

There is no crime here but a violation of an Olympic rule. Nobody has been legally charged with a crime. Even when there is an alleged crime, spouses have the right not to testify against each other in some countries.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
I mean, okay she should be punished. But longer than the athlete who actually took the drug himself. :mad: what is this kind of logic??

The ,,the one who hides and helps someone else because he/she care about him and therefore should get worse punishement'' logic. Does it make sense? No way. I'm not able to understand it.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Never liked her much but I dunno, 4 year ban and stripping medals sounds a bit excessive :eek: especially considering there's no evidence that she HERSELF did any doping...

If it's true she enabled her ex-BF's doping, she'll probably get a fine, and PERHAPS a short ban but I don't see any of the other stuff happening.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
There is no crime here but a violation of an Olympic rule. Nobody has been legally charged with a crime. Even when there is an alleged crime, spouses have the right not to testify against each other in some countries.

Bet you wouldn´t feel like that if you were a sportman competing againts Carolina´s ex boyfriend.

And depending the country you are doping (because is change the results of the sport) is considered a crime.

I said the moment the allegations were made, if she knew the ethical thing to do was to come forward. I don´t wish for her to be stripped of her medals, but she must get a punishment according to the law and regulations of her country.

Carolina is not a victim here,she was not a silly little girl in love when this happened, she was a grown old woman, and she was not married to him, so the argument abour married doesn´t apply.

Edit.

There is a precedent of cases where people involve in doping in Italy has been sentenced to jail, under the "sporting fraud ". So there you have it, a crime was comited.

The situation in Italy is different again from Australia. In Italy the Disciplina della tutela sanitaria delle attivita’ sportive e della lotta contro il doping (Law number 376 of 2000) establishes three distinct types of criminal doping offences.

The first two offences concern both athletes and support personnel procuring, administering, consuming (or even encouraging the use of) WADC Prohibited Substances or Methods, with the aim of improving an athlete’s competitive performance or to modify the results of an anti-doping test. Imprisonment from three months to three years and a fine from €2,580 to €51,645 are the sanctions for these offences.

The third offence (arguably the most innovative) aims to tackle illegal suppliers who trade in WADC Prohibited Substances outside official distribution channels. Imprisonment from two to six years and a fine from €5,164 to €77,468 are the sanctions for this offence.

Last edited:

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Of course, but there is no evidence that she actually knew what Alex was really doing. We can imagine that she had noticed something (she has stated that herself), but he was her boyfriend after all, not just "another" athlete; given how shy Carolina is, the whole situation gets even more complicated... But after all the thing is that this proposal is just silly.

She confessed of knowing, she saw the drugs in her refrigerator...

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Yes, yes, she should be punished. Banned for a period, fined, ect. But how on earth can anyone justify banning her for longer than the person who actually took the drugs? (Seriously, give me one reason).

Stripping her of her medals would be ridiculous. As long as she didn't take the drugs herself, and didn't hinder her opponents, what she did here has no bearing on her figure skating results.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Bet you wouldn´t feel like that if you were a sportman competing againts Carolina´s ex boyfriend.

This is not about how I or you feel. Crimes have to be legally defined, charged and proven.

And depending the country you are doping (because is change the results of the sport) is considered a crime.

I said the moment the allegations were made, if she knew the ethical thing to do was to come forward. I don´t wish for her to be stripped of her medals, but she must get a punishment according to the law and regulations of her country.

Carolina is not a victim here,she was not a silly little girl in love when this happened, she was a grown old woman, and she was not married to him, so the argument abour married doesn´t apply.

Edit.

There is a precedent of cases where people involve in doping in Italy has been sentenced to jail, under the "sporting fraud ". So there you have it, a crime was comited.

Nobody says Caro is a victim but there is some sympathy for her situation and lots of disagreement about her recommended and other possible punishments as unfair and too harsh.

As well, ethics and crimes are not absolute but change tremendously with time and place. Ladies skaters commit crimes of indecent exposures and other crimes in some countries today and in most countries in earlier times. I would rather not be too quick to be judge, jury and executioner.

Last edited:

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
More details:
The CONI case is based on input from a prosecutor in Bolzano investigating the Schwazer file, which has allegedly uncovered widespread doping within the Italian athletics federation.

Kostner also skipped a hearing at CONI in September before showing up a week later.

Schwazer failed an out-of-competition test before arriving in London and was removed from Italy's team before competing. He admitted using the blood-boosting hormone EPO, and said he was quitting the sport.

Schwazer also admitted to consulting with Lance Armstrong's banned sports doctor, Michele Ferrari.

Kostner has acknowledged accompanying Schwazer on a visit to Ferrari's office in 2010, although she maintains that she did not know he doped.

However, published reports of Kostner's testimony to Bolzano prosecutors showed she allegedly admitted lying to inspectors from the World Anti-Doping Agency who came to her home in Germany looking for Schwazer on July 29, 2012 — days before Schwazer flew to London for the Olympics.

According to Kostner's lawyer Giovanni Fontana, the skater told inspectors that Schwazer wasn't home because she wanted to respect his privacy, saying that on his WADA whereabouts form for that day he had listed that he would be available in Italy at a different time.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I am in full support of a ban - though longer than his seems a bit stupid.

She knew that he was taking drugs and she knew that covering for him was wrong. Trying to convince us otherwise does nothing but insult her intelligence.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Lance Armstrong's doping had been widely known/suspected for years before it was blown open. I wonder how many people have gotten away with the crime of not reporting it immediately? :sarcasm: Someone should be hunting them down.