Carolina Kostner's ex boyfriend has dragged her into his scandal | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Carolina Kostner's ex boyfriend has dragged her into his scandal

Alba

Record Breaker
I love figure skating - and obviously everyone on this board is a fan and would be able to identify Kostner in a second. But how popular is Kostner/figure skating in Italy? Like if I were to walk down any street in Italy and ask 100 people who Carolina Kostner is, would the majority know of her and her accomplishments in figure skating?

People do know her. I mean people who do not follow FS, a part from the Olympic year. But FS is not so popular in Italy.
She also doesn't appear much in TV. She's very discreet, and living in Germany does help from this point of view.

nguyenghita

On the Ice
People do know her. I mean people who do not follow FS, a part from the Olympic year. But FS is not so popular in Italy.
She also doesn't appear much in TV. She's very discreet, and living in Germany does help from this point of view.
She lives in Germany?

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
She lives in Germany?

Yes, she trains in Oberstdorf.

Because we always see her beside an Italian flag, it is easy to forget that Carolina is ethnically Austrian.

Most people will recognise that Carolina has a German surname. But, there is a reason for that.

The region Carolina is from, the South Tyrol, has only been part of Italy since 1918. For centuries before that, it was part of Austria. And, because Italy did not do like other countries and expel the German-speaking population after the borders were re-drawn, the South Tyrol is still predominantly German-speaking.

Of course, this does not mean that everybody in the South Tyrol speaks German. But, in Carolina's case, it is obvious that her first language is German. Whenever you hear her talking to people around the rink, she is nearly always speaking German. And, she seems more natural whenever she is getting interviewed in German.

As for the topic of this thread, I honestly don't know what to think. She was very foolish to cover for him, but we don't know how much control he had over her, or if she was intimidated by him or anything.

We'll just have to wait and see how this all pans out.

CaroLiza_fan

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
Because we always see her beside an Italian flag, it is easy to forget that Carolina is ethnically Austrian.

Most people will recognise that Carolina has a German surname. But, there is a reason for that.

The region Carolina is from, the South Tyrol, has only been part of Italy since 1918. For centuries before that, it was part of Austria. And, because Italy did not do like other countries and expel the German-speaking population after the borders were re-drawn, the South Tyrol is still predominantly German-speaking.

CaroLiza_fan

Actually, it's even more complex than that: Carolina is from Ortisei, Val Gardena, a place where Ladin is the first language.
I remember that at 2010 Worlds her cousin Isolde Kostner (a former skier) said that they usually speak Ladin between them.
Other than that, Carolina's father has a German name, her mother an Italian one.
You're right to say that she's more comfortable speaking German, for her Italian is language #3. She speaks English and French, too.
By the way, I'm green with envy, to me multilingualism is such a fascinating topic.

msadot

On the Ice
>> for her Italian is language #3

Yes. :) In alcune sfumature dei discorsi lo si percepisce. Yes, you can perceive it in the way she speaks.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Actually, it's even more complex than that: Carolina is from Ortisei, Val Gardena, a place where Ladin is the first language.
I remember that at 2010 Worlds her cousin Isolde Kostner (a former skier) said that they usually speak Ladin between them.
Other than that, Carolina's father has a German name, her mother an Italian one.
You're right to say that she's more comfortable speaking German, for her Italian is language #3. She speaks English and French, too.
By the way, I'm green with envy, to me multilingualism is such a fascinating topic.

Thanks for that info.

I am connected with a couple of Ski Jumpers on Facebook who are from the South Tyrol (Evelyn Insam and Elena Ruggaldier). And they ALWAYS talk to each other in Ladin. So, I am familiar with it's existance (and familiar with how difficult it is to find a site that will translate it!!! :rolleye: )

However, I decided not to bring Ladin into this conversation as all Carolina's press releases are done in German, Italian and English. So, I wasn't sure whether she spoke it or not.

But, now that you have pointed out that she does, yes that does push Italian even further down the pecking order.

And I too am so jealous of people that can speak a whole pile of languages. When I was at school, we were taught French for 5 years at secondary school. I was pretty good at it too, but I can't remember much now. When I was in my 3rd year, I got the opportunity to do German as well (for 3 years). I have always had a love for all things German, so I had always wanted to learn the language. But our teacher was very young and did not have enough experience. So, I did not do very well at the exams, which really annoyed me. And I can remember even less German than I can French.

Now, I would love to learn Russian. But, I know it would be very difficult. English has stolen a lot of things from French and German, so there are a lot of similarities. But a Slavic language would be so alien to an English speaker. Like, it doesn't even use the same alphabet!

CaroLiza_fan

Alba

Record Breaker
>> for her Italian is language #3

Yes. :) In alcune sfumature dei discorsi lo si percepisce. Yes, you can perceive it in the way she speaks.

In the interview with Fazio she did really sounded like a foreigner with her italian. :biggrin:
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=675529372544758&set=o.577867485622370&type=2&theater

She is really nice, honestly. Never heard her complain or blame others, and she is one of the few ladies that when smiles she really does look genuine.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Just noticed this thread. Bad decision on Carolina's part. I can understand her on a human level, but it wasn't the right thing to do as a sportswoman. I don't think she deserves a slap on the wrist just because she's a star... but 2-4 years ban is too harsh (for anyone in this situation). It's not like she took the drugs herself.

I hope she still has success in shows. And most of all, doesn't get banned from coaching or other sport-related activities. She could do so much for Italian skating in the future.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Carolina have been summoned to testify this friday http://www.wafb.com/story/26533248/kostner-summoned-in-schwazer-doping-case

Former figure skating world champion Carolina Kostner will appear before Italian Olympic Committee officials investigating whether she was complicit in doping by her former boyfriend and Olympic race walking champion Alex Schwazer.

In a brief statement on Monday, CONI says it has summoned Kostner to a hearing on Friday following media reports about evidence she gave to Bolzano prosecutors investigating the case.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Dissapointing Caro had a lousy boyfriend who has now betrayed her to the world. But I doubt she can get into any real trouble at the end of her career and I don't think she will have any medals taken from her either. Get a better boyfriend Caro!

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
^I think nobody in here is comming out well. And if they do is then that I will think they are really hypocrites.

The guy Alex Schwazer, is a cheater and a fraude.

Carolina was not a little silly girl, she didn´t need to lie, and she could have come forward back them when the dopping was first discovered. And I´m not very sold in the "I did it for love" thing. She saids she saw the drugs in her refrigerator and didn´t reporte it? If my boyfriend were keeping marihuana or crack in my apartment I will keep the guy out and then I will call the police.

And I don´t know how much does it takes to investigate, but normally this process does take lot´s of time (how much time since Armstrong last race to the moment it got blow out, and until now not all the people and sportmen implicated in Operación Puerto have been named and the case came to light back in 2007 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operación_Puerto_doping_case) so I don´t think is weird that Carolina is being called until now.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Curious, what is the worse possible scenario in this? Could she be strip of any titles as a result of her lying/complicity?

Would any kind of suspension prevent her from doing professional shows? Or is that a case by case type thing.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Curious, what is the worse possible scenario in this? Could she be strip of any titles as a result of her lying/complicity?
Would any kind of suspension prevent her from doing professional shows? Or is that a case by case type thing.
She didn't dope, it's her ex boyfriend, why should they strip her off the medals she did earn rightfully? She could be banned from competiton and coaching, though. Ice shows, maybe not.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I don't believe WADA has any authority outside of the competitive sports. Carolina will get invitation to perform in shows if the organizers believe she will sell tickets.

Worst case scenario would be retroactive striping of last season's wins but I doubt it would come to that because she didn't dope or cheat herself. If she were banned for over a year, she may just retire from competitions and do shows. No idea if it will affect her organizing and starring in her traditional shows in Italy.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
She didn't dope, it's her ex boyfriend, why should they strip her off the medals she did earn rightfully? She could be banned from competiton and coaching, though. Ice shows, maybe not.

I am not saying they should. . . my apologies if you got that impression. I was just asking about the technicalities of it. I know that doping can lead to stripping, I did not know if covering for doping was egregious enough (in the eyes of the powers that be) that the rules allow for it to also lead to stripping.

I was not saying they should, or even *should* consider it, I was merely curious about the rules. Many have talked about her only getting a slap on the wrist, I was just wondering what the other extreme possible could be. I know upcoming rules could ban for 2-4 years.

I guess I was not sure if the ban for lack of a better term could be retroactively enforced. I.e. starting from the time of violation rather than discovery. As it stands the delayed timing (be it normal length of time for investigation or something else, it is still after the fact) did work out in her favor. I can see from an academic stand point how some may argue the punishment should be from the infraction rather than discovery. I mean isn't that part of why they strip medals/titles retroactively rather than just banning looking forward?

Basically I am very ignorant about this whole thing and am just curious how this will play out, and how much of the drama is real vs slow news day I guess. Legal minutia is more interesting to me than it should be.