Carolina Kostner's ex boyfriend has dragged her into his scandal | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Carolina Kostner's ex boyfriend has dragged her into his scandal

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Armstrong's doping was well known by many people for a long time. He was a hypocrite addicted to and motivated by glory and money, putting on a righteous mask, bullying and threatening anyone who dared to utter any truth about him. He kept this up for years and his American fans bought all his acts, making him a very rich hero until it all shook out.

Carolina complied with her boyfriend's request to lie about his presence with no time to think things through. People do this often but it's against the rules when the ones lied to are the authority. She did not dope, did not cheat, did not win or profit from any criminal activity. She did not pretend to be a hero and did not bully or threaten anybody. Her offense is covering for her boyfriend once, about his presence, not about his doping. She should not be compared to Lance Armstrong or regarded as a hard criminal deserving severe punishment.

I feel the same way. But public opinion is fickle and harsh. What if the authorities, whoever they are, feel pressure to make an example of her? It would be so sad if, because of one mistake, she would be banned from being a coach for instance.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
But to clain that she won´t be touch because she is a "brand" is way to much, and no fair. And as I said, if she did comit a crime or violation or the regulations she should be punished.

What has somebody's claim got to do with Carolina, facts, or fairness? We don't know all the facts or the outcome. Is it necessary to be incensed based on somebody's claim? How is such reaction fair to Carolina?

I just noticed someone else has a contrary concern that she may be made an example of because of her fame. People have different views and issues about possible outcomes but it's premature to react to any of the possibilities.

Alba

Record Breaker
She is not under investigation? Lol, what to talk about. Media often gossips. Good luck, Caro!

Not under penal investigation. Her offence is related to sports justice not penal, at the moment at least.

So it's not media gossip.

Carolina complied with her boyfriend's request to lie about his presence with no time to think things through. People do this often but it's against the rules when the ones lied to are the authority. She did not dope, did not cheat, did not win or profit from any criminal activity. She did not pretend to be a hero and did not bully or threaten anybody. Her offense is covering for her boyfriend once, about his presence, not about his doping. She should not be compared to Lance Armstrong or regarded as a hard criminal deserving severe punishment.

Indeed. I don't understand why are we comparing her with Armstrong here.
The one to be compared with Armstrong is Alex - although he's not at that high level as Armstrong was - not Carolina.

Is it necessary to be incensed based on somebody's claim?

Just a correction here. It's not based on somebody's claim. It has been confirmed by Carolina as well.
Furthermore, according to the sport justice (at least in Italy), it's the accused who has to prove that the accusations are false, not the other way around.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Just a correction here. It's not based on somebody's claim. It has been confirmed by Carolina as well.
Furthermore, according to the sport justice (at least in Italy), it's the accused who has to prove that the accusations are false, not the other way around.

cruzceleste was reacting to CanadianSkaeterGuy's claim that Caro would be let off easy because of her position and worth, as if it would be so.

Meoima

Match Penalty
cruzceleste was reacting to CanadianSkaeterGuy's claim that Caro would be let off easy because of her position and worth, as if it would be so.
I agree that she shouldn't be left off easy because of who she is.
Just hope that this case is just "she lied out of love for him" and "couldn't take him anymore then left him".
I hope further investigation will show up soon.

Kalina

On the Ice
Not under penal investigation. Her offence is related to sports justice not penal, at the moment at least.

So it's not media gossip.

Exactly -- thank you.

She's the only female World figure skating champion, a flagbearer in Torino at her home games, and an Olympic heroine from these past games. She's been a beacon for Italian figure skating, and is widely considered one of the most beautifully artistic skaters today.

There's no way they will give her anything more than a slap on the wrists. She's worth way too much (in every sense of "worth").

In the great scheme of things, Carolina is a minor sports star in Italy. And on her way to retirement. CONI-NADO failing to prosecute her in 2012-2013 makes sense, as Sochi was close and she's just become World champion. But now?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I don't think she will be banned from shows. But may be less shows will invite her if the scandal goes bigger. :no:

Even Tonya Harding got invited to shows in 1999. It's possible she could be banned from sanctioned events but I think even that would be too harsh. Maybe she should accept a 6 month suspension for a period she wouldn't be competing anyway :)

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
From Phillip Hersh´twitter https://twitter.com/olyphil

Italian news reports say @msKOSTNER helped ex-boyfriend - booted from 2012 Oly for doping - avoid a control. http://www.neveitalia.it/sport/figu...tner-a-causa-delle-vicenda-doping-di-schwazer

Under @wada_ama code, @msKOSTNER violated prohibition on helping anyone avoid a doping control. Punishment can be 2-to-4 year ban

Check that. WADA code in force NEXT year allows 2-4 year ban for @msKOSTNER. She is in violation of current code but no penalty specified

Amei

Record Breaker
She's the only female World figure skating champion, a flagbearer in Torino at her home games, and an Olympic heroine from these past games. She's been a beacon for Italian figure skating, and is widely considered one of the most beautifully artistic skaters today.

There's no way they will give her anything more than a slap on the wrists. She's worth way too much (in every sense of "worth").

I love figure skating - and obviously everyone on this board is a fan and would be able to identify Kostner in a second. But how popular is Kostner/figure skating in Italy? Like if I were to walk down any street in Italy and ask 100 people who Carolina Kostner is, would the majority know of her and her accomplishments in figure skating?

Then they are as skeezy as her ex& her actions. Bottom line - she broke the rules and should suffer the same consequences as anyone else, regardless of her name.

msadot

On the Ice
Maybe it will be better if she just announce her retirement anyway.

Endorsements and sponsor deals might be the reason she hasn't announced it.

Most likely the choice may not completely depend on her. Yes, sponsors play a very important part on this.
Some rumors said she might compete in Turin for Nationals; some said (months ago) she would be in Turin as a kind of godmother for the event.
Anyway, I am sure everything will go well. And I think I can kind of prove it. After all, the EPO was in HER fridge, OK? SO... since the beginning, in the eyes of the law (ordinary law and sport law) there were HEAVY elements suggesting complicity. Had they wanted to act against her, they would have done it from the start.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Most likely the choice may not completely depend on her. Yes, sponsors play a very important part on this.
Some rumors said she might compete in Turin for Nationals; some said (months ago) she would be in Turin as a kind of godmother for the event.
Anyway, I am sure everything will go well. And I think I can kind of prove it. After all, the EPO was in HER fridge, OK? SO... since the beginning, in the eyes of the law (ordinary law and sport law) there were HEAVY elements suggesting complicity. Had they wanted to act against her, they would have done it from the start.
:scowl: Maybe they didn't because it was before Sochi? And now Olympic is over...