Ban on Carolina Kostner Over | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Ban on Carolina Kostner Over

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
From what i have read, doping isn't effective for figure skaters, that's why they don't (have a reason to) do it.
There's a reason, we never heard of East German figure skaters doping...
The only doping case i'm familiar with is that of Yuri Larionov who took some headache medicine and tested positive for steroid.
Doping is effictive in every sport, you just have to use the right substances as far as I've heard. There is at least one acknowledged East German doping victim that I know of in figure skating: Marie-Katrin Kanitz, pair skater, bronze at Europeans in 1987. We're talking about psychotropic drugs, growth-inhibiting drugs and probably steroids (not so much, you wouldn't want the female pair skater to be bulky ...). And the mother of Mandy Woetzel assumes that her daughter has received growth-inhibiting drugs.

I think that the fact that Carolina visited Dr. Ferrari doesn't reflect well on her. Not well at all. Why would she do that?

jiggs

On the Ice
I think that the fact that Carolina visited Dr. Ferrari doesn't reflect well on her. Not well at all. Why would she do that?

According to various articles, she didn't visit him. Her boyfriend did, while she waited for him to return. Who knows if she knew it was Dr. Ferrari at that moment? He could have told her it was anyone. Why would she suspect somthing? He might have told her later who it was. We will probably never know but I am giving her the benefit of doubt here.

Last edited:

Icey

Record Breaker
Was this revelation delayed so Kostner could continue to compete? If it had been taken care of in a timely manner, she might not have been able to compete at the Olympics . Koster , like all us, made some poor choices and as often is the case must pay the consequences. Surely she must have known lying to the police is not something to be taken lightly. I'm not against taking away any medals won after the deception the date of the deception.

Icey

Record Breaker
According to various articles, she didn't visit him. Her boyfriend did, while she waited for him to return. Who knows if she knew it was Dr. Ferrari at that moment? He could have told her it was anyone. Why would she suspect somthing? He might have told her later who it was. We will probably never know but I am giving her the benefit of doubt here.

The place they visited him somewhat reflected something shady was going on

jiggs

On the Ice
The place they visited him somewhat reflected something shady was going on

But how do you know? You were not there, none of us were.

We don't know anything about what happened and what he made her believe/what he told her. All we know is that she was there while he had a meeting with him and waited for him to return from that meeting. For what we know, she was never in direct contact with that doctor.

Last edited:

alebi

Medalist
Was this revelation delayed so Kostner could continue to compete?

I've said it in my post. CONI did the mistake (purposely?) and now they're giving a huge ban to have their clear conscience

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
This story is way more complicated than what it seems and involves many top Italian athletes, in many disciplines. The real reason behind this ban request is only because CONI has done trashy things for years and now they want to save their ***** (sorry for my words, but it can't be said differently). Now they want to show that are able to give exemplary punishments even to famous and elite athletes but, and here is the disgusting thing, only to athletes who have already retired (Kostner but also three T&F athletes Collio, Checcucci and Donati). Then to athletes who aren't helpful anymore. Why not Alex Schwazer? Because he's still young enough to take part in Rio and they are doing everything possible to reduce his ban and allow him to participate (we're talking about a talented guy, drugs or not drugs). Do I have to add that there's a list with more than 60 athletes' names (in activity) who have skipped more than 3 drug controls and the CONI isn't saying anything about it? Well... I've said it. (And it took 2 years to ask for a ban when it was immediately clear that Kostner has lied... a coincidence?)

The most stupid thing about this situation is that Kostner has nothing to deal with doping, her accusation is that she's lied to Police (she said Alex wasn't at home that day) that's why I don't understand why they asked for a sport punishment instead of a civil one. Her career has nothing to deal with this fact.

There's a big debate right now in Italy because everyone is asking CONI to give the responsibility of drug tests to an external authority, but CONI doesn't want to lose this charge, and the reason is so obvious. They only need some exemplary fact so they can say "we're doing our job properly".

This does seem a likely senario. As I posted earlier, when there are no good reasons, bad reasons will be suspected.

However, there are two points I understand differently from your postulations.

Firstly, Schwazer was unhappy and unmotivated about his sport to the point of depression. So it seems it may be futile to pressure him into continuing his athletic career. In fact, I have some sympathy for him, especially when compared to the long time exploitation of doping for wealth and glory and the bullying tactics to suppress exposure by Lance Armstrong and Marion Jones.

Secondly, didn't Carolina lie to the WADA agent, not the police?

Last edited:

alebi

Medalist
This does seem a likely senario. As I posted earlier, when there are no good reasons, bad reasons will be suspected.

However, there are two points I understand differently from your postulations.

Firstly, Schwazer was unhappy and unmotivated about his sport to the point of depression. So it seems it may be futile to pressure him into continuing his athletic career. In fact, I have some sympathy for him, especially when compared to the long time exploitation of doping for wealth and glory and the bullying tactics to suppress exposure by Lance Armstrong and Marion Jones.

Secondly, didn't Carolina lie to the WADA agent, not the police?

Yes Schwazer soon lose motivation in his career (for many reasons I won't explain here) but you have to consider that the FIDAL (Italian Athletics Association) has only a handful of good athletes, people who can compete at world level (I would say 2, max 3). Lose even just one medal possibility means to lose credibility when the Government has to share the funds. It's all a matter of money, as usual. That's why they went on forcing Alex to be always on top.

Carolina lied to WADA agents then in the Court (I said Police but honestly I was meaning a functionary, I don't know which term is better). I don't know why her lawyer suggested so, given also the fact that her relationship was already ended and she had not to protect him but only protect her credibility. But this fact, that was immediately known to who was responsible for the case, was revealed only a pair of months ago when journalists had access to documents and publicized the discrepancies in Carolina's questionings.

I don't believe Carolina is so stupid to not understand what was happening in Alex' life but I'm pretty sure most of the things were kept hidden to her too. Schwazer soon revealed everything because he said he was tired of lying to her.

Last edited:

Amei

Record Breaker
stripping her medals = ridiculous.. she should not be facing a harder punishment more than her douche bf..

Many times, if someone can provide incriminating evidence against someone else, either a fellow doper or the supplier, they can get a deal to reduce their ban. Whereas Carolina appears to be just the girlfriend who stupidly lied to protect her boyfriend, might not have anything of value to offer for a reduced ban.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Seriously.... WHYYYYY??!

My better half offered "cramping" as a guess.

The only idea i had was the he wanted to drink the water to get hydrated, but not have excess weight or too much of a sloshing gut. So maybe the idea is to drink water, and purge in a cycle to somehow get hydration but get rid of stomach acid but not have too much weight or gut sloshing. . . at this point I really do want to know what was going on, and I question how much it had to do with that sport specifically.

pohatta

On the Ice
My better half offered "cramping" as a guess.

The only idea i had was the he wanted to drink the water to get hydrated, but not have excess weight or too much of a sloshing gut. So maybe the idea is to drink water, and purge in a cycle to somehow get hydration but get rid of stomach acid but not have too much weight or gut sloshing. . . at this point I really do want to know what was going on, and I question how much it had to do with that sport specifically.

His coach said even before the incident that his stomach seems to be unable to absorb the liquids he had taken earlier. However he finished 7th. I know figure skating is a tough sport but can you imagine something like that happening in a skating rink?

Eclair

Medalist
His coach said even before the incident that his stomach seems to be unable to absorb the liquids he had taken earlier. However he finished 7th. I know figure skating is a tough sport but can you imagine something like that happening in a skating rink?

If his stomach cannot even absorb liquids normally, the he has a serious problem. He doesn't look healthy either.

Not in the rink, but according to jennifer kirk, bulimia or at least an eating disorder is very wide-spread among top skaters. So even if we don't get to see it, it doesn't mean it's not there.

R.D.

Record Breaker
:laugh: Y'all kill me. Come on man - USFS lobbying? I mean...really. :laugh2: get outta here w/that

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
:laugh: Y'all kill me. Come on man - USFS lobbying? I mean...really. :laugh2: get outta here w/that

Actually, the possibility was raised upthread. The post may have been meant to be sarcastic but I didn't read it that way. Then again, I can be pathetically gullible at times. If that's what happened, I'll be more than happy to wear some egg on my face! It wouldn't be the first time... :biggrin:

Mafke

Medalist
I would hate to see someone lose eligibility because of overzealous anti-doping officials.

I no longer have any respect for ant-doping officials and haven't had any for a long time.

Sydney 2000 gymnastics destroyed any credibility they have. I haven't respected them since (or watched any gymnastics in any media).

JayW

Final Flight
One question here:

Did she have the spousal privilege with her ex? It is odd, couples can't testify again each other in criminal cases.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
One question here:

Did she have the spousal privilege with her ex? It is odd, couples can't testify again each other in criminal cases.

Is they are married and live in US, don´t think is the same law in every country in the world.