2010 World Figure Skating Championships – Torino, ITA videos | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2010 World Figure Skating Championships – Torino, ITA videos

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Lots of people don't like the post-Olympic Worlds. I've always found it to be very competitive, redemptive and full of opportunity for veterans and newcomers. I just loved the original dance (folk dance)that year - so much fun and so creative. You could feel how proud the skaters were to portray their choices. The fans of Torino were so enthusiastic and appreciative to have such a high quality dance event to wipe away the sorrows of 2006 Olympics original dance with all those mishaps (check it out - it was historic and epic)

What were some of your favorites?

I agree with you. To me, post-Olympics worlds are rather enjoyable, with loads of new (or at least less well known) competitors, chances for those who did not do well at the Olympics to redeem themselves (like Brian Joubert who got a medal at Worlds 2010 while totally failing at the Olympics) and some Olympic medallists showing up to prove their success at the Olympics was not a fluke. And - alas - sometimes Olympic medallists turning up and failing dismally for whatever reason (although I don't enjoy this last particularly). My favourites were indeed seeing Brian's redemption as well as Daisuke's great skate, but also rewatching Meryl and Charlies wonderful Original Dance. I mustn't forget the Pairs...Yuko and Alexander for example.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Thank you lagboat for remembering, Cynthia Phaneuf, as the true 2010 World Champion. No other came close to her performances, in particular the FS.

Ballade88

On the Ice
I think it depends on the competition. The quality of post-olympics, like other competitions, varies greatly depending on the year. I think skaters skipping out on this event is more a recent trend. Back in the day, I remember almost all of the Olympic medalists would attend the Worlds event afterwards. Kristi Yamaguchi won Olympics and then Worlds again in 1992. Michelle Kwan and Irina Slutskaya both attended post-Olympics Worlds in 2002. It seems that those that skipped out would most likely retire from competition. (Tara Lipinski). 2010 Worlds was actually pretty stacked in the ladies event, with only the bronze medalist missing from the roster. But even with most of the medalists out, 2014 Worlds was still a pretty competitive event. The ladies event had Carolina, Mao, and Yulia. Hanyu solidified his dominance with another win. In terms of the ladies field, I would rank 2014 Worlds above 2012 and 2011 (arguably) in terms of the quality of competition based on technical content and performances.

Thank you lagboat for remembering, Cynthia Phaneuf, as the true 2010 World Champion. No other came close to her performances, in particular the FS.

Lol is this a joke?

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Cynthia gave a fine performance that I wish was more widely available, perhaps it is a music issue - but don't go reading more into it than that. I did not state anything about being a true winner. I am not here to pick favorites. I have mine and they shall remain my private opinion. I do not want to get drawn into rejudging the past just present the past skates, as many as i can find, for others to enjoy.

mrrice

Record Breaker

Right! She was so great in the free with her Cleopatra Program. I saw her the next fall at Skate Canada. Gorgeous with her Spanish Guitar SP. :bow:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Cynthia did have a very good performance in the LP, I think she deserved 3rd place. There was a huge controversy at these Worlds with Laura Lepisto winning the Bronze medal when she only did 3 triples. I would have put her in 8th place myself. :shocked: