2013-2014 Programs by Discipline | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2013-2014 Programs by Discipline

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Yuna's Gala this year will be "imagine" by John Lennon. However, she'll be using Avril Lavigne's cover.
So excited!!!!

Huge excitement until I saw she uses Avril's covery. Why, dead Lord, when the original is a masterpiece? Such a shame. I would have loved to see her skating to John Lennon's song.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Good choice for P/B, I look forward to it, I think it can be a really good farewell FD for them... :popcorn:

Huge excitement until I saw she uses Avril's covery. Why, dead Lord, when the original is a masterpiece? Such a shame. I would have loved to see her skating to John Lennon's song.

There may be copyright and royalty issues.

Eclair

Medalist

Avril's song was part of the Amnesty compilation album 'Make some noise' released for the human right improvement in Sudan. Since Yuna already stated, that the message the song carries is very important to her, her exact words were 'I want to share the meaning of this song, desire of peace, with many people.' I guess it's only logical to choose the amnesty-version of Imagine.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Avril's song was part of the Amnesty compilation album 'Make some noise' released for the human right improvement in Sudan. Since Yuna already stated, that the message the song carries is very important to her, her exact words were 'I want to share the meaning of this song, desire of peace, with many people.' I guess it's only logical to choose the amnesty-version of Imagine.

Good lord, that's a painfully stretched defense of a skater's awful lapse in musical taste. The Amnesty International campaign for Darfur had a slew of other artists who also covered "Imagine", separately, for the project. Here's a list:

Jack Johnson
Willie Nelson
Me'Shell NdegéOcello
Afroreggae
James Stewart
Josh Groban

Yuna had many choices, and yet she chose Avril. :disapp: The Lavigne cover, ever since its debut, has been singled out for condemnation and ridicule. It is #8 on Rolling Stone's worst covers of all time.

P.S. Jack Johnson and Josh Groban would also have been unacceptable choices.

ForeverFish

Medalist
Yuna could skate to the sound of a screaming chainsaw and still make the performance beautiful.

(Okay, probably not a chainsaw, but you get my point. Whatever the music -- and I don't doubt she herself chose this cover -- the important thing is that she makes it her own in terms of style and expression.)

LeCygne

Final Flight
Sasha Cohen also skated to Avril Lavigne's cover of Imagine. I remember she said that it was the only version that sounded good acoustically in the rink. Of course nothing can touch the original, but not everything sounds good in the arena.

^ Also, Yu-Na's Reflections EX was one of her best, especially for so early in her career.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Willie Nelson

I'd love to see a good skating routine to something from Willie Nelson's "Stardust" album.

It would be so cool and laid back to classic and understated music. And ORIGINAL. And isn't that something to hope for... programs to music that hasn't been skated to a zillion times.

Cherryy

On the Ice
What music do you all think Yuna will skate to?
I just hope it'll be something that we don't hear all the time and that the two programs will be completely different. I'd also like to see her do one soft and lyrical program, similar to Lark Ascending, Meditation and Homage to Korea.

That's good enough for me.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Baga/Toth SP: "Be Italian"; Donlan/Speroff SP: "Meditation"

Baga/Toth SP: "Be Italian" from Nine

On Friday, Baga and Toth will debut a new short choreographed by Rohene Ward to "Be Italian," the lively showstopper from the musical Nine.​

Donlan/Speroff SP: "Meditation" from Thais

Donlan and Speroff will compete their new short, choreographed by Sheryl Franks, to "Meditation" from Thais.​

Source:
Baga, Toth will 'Be Italian' at USFS pairs camp
Young pairs teams will be mentored by U.S. champions, top coaches in Fort Wayne, Ind.
By Lynn Rutherford, special to icenetwork.com
(06/05/2013)
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130605&content_id=49681246&vkey=ice_news

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Now, if one wanted to avoid using the Lennon original, here are some excellent covers of Imagine that's less likely to provoke war than the Avril Lavigne version:

Herbie Hancock featuring P!nk, Seal, India.Arie, Konono N°1, Oumou Sangaré and Jeff Beck - A magical and very international cover. Unbelievable musicianship and lots of soulful singing. The section where India.Arie and Konono N°1 jump in is euphoric. This is the one I wish Yuna used.

Eva Cassidy - An arrangement so fundamentally sound and elegant it sounds like it should be the original version. Beautifully delivered by Cassidy's voice.

There are a million more covers of the song, of course. Ray Charles has a gospel-inflected version. Diana Ross has a slick motown version. A Perfect Circle has that minor key take on it that I'm not very fond of, but it does give the song a very different feel.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
A Cannuscio/McManus and I Cannuscio/Bramante: SDs + FDs

A Cannuscio/McManus
- SD: two standards as interpreted by Rufus Wainwright – “Puttin On the Ritz” and “Get Happy”
- FD: An American in Paris

I Cannuscio/Bramante:
- SD: selection from Harry Connick, Jr.
- FD: Classical Waltz

Source:
Sisterhood Central to Success for Cannuscios
Created on Sunday, 02 June 2013 22:23
by Jacquelyn Thayer
http://www.ice-dance.com/main/news/...-sisterhood-central-to-success-for-cannuscios