2013-2014 Programs by Discipline | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2013-2014 Programs by Discipline

mary01

Final Flight
Yes, it's the fault of the rules and skating culture that originality is a high risk, low reward proposition. Part of the PCS score is supposed to reward originality, but like almost all the criteria for the PCS, judges ignore it. A strongly worded memo from the ISU could fix all that, but it's not going to happen.

Lori Nichol choreographs probably hundreds of programs every season, and most of them for skaters who barely have any aptitude for dance. At this point, she must be as numb to the process as we are to the results. Still, she does manage to occasionally surprise and delight me. A few seasons ago, Nichol picked "I Vow to Thee, My Country" for Mao Asada. Now who would've thought that it'd be a good idea for a female Japanese skater to skate to a boy soprano singing a patriotic British hymn? Nichol did, and it was magic.

it was actually Mao herself who suggested this piece of music, Lori was quite surprised when she heard Mao's choice...

ForeverFish

Medalist
Wait, you can see that she's smiling and being cutesy in that fan cam video?

Sorry, that came out wrong. I should have said that her USUAL cute, smiley style (which she displays in the video through her gestures and occasionally some blurry facial expressions) doesn't exactly fit the music. Light and playful though this version of the tango might be (again, a good choice for her), it's still a tango with a sharp, Latin-based rhythm and steps, which is a big departure from her soft, lyrical mode of skating (see Sleeping Beauty).

It's a very different choice of music, but Zijun's tango reminds me of Valentina Marchei's Flamenco program this season. I think Zijun would do well to pick up on Valentina's well-defined, clearly punctuated steps that highlight the ups and downs of the music.

Anyway, that was just my initial perception of what is obviously a program-in-progress. I may very well change my mind (for better or worse, who knows?) when I see it on the GP.

venlac

On the Ice
Zijun's program looks pretty good, but it's not show-stopping. It's still obviously in the works; my main concern from watching the video is that her smiley, cutesy style doesn't exactly fit the tango music -- she could still be skating to Sleeping Beauty. Hopefully, Zijun can and will channel her inner Yuna at competition.

Isn't she more lika a mature girl for her age, ladyish style rather than cutesy and child-rish ?
i mean, when i see her programs, i felt the same way with when i see other old veterans' performance, rather than feel 'adorable' or 'cute'..

ForeverFish

Medalist
Isn't she more lika a mature girl for her age, ladyish style rather than cutesy and child-rish ?
i mean, when i see her programs, i felt the same way with when i see other old veterans' performance, rather than feel 'adorable' or 'cute'..

Well, that's a matter of opinion. I never called her style "childish," but it IS very "cute," IMO. Her Sleeping Beauty program was a good example of what I personally consider cute and smiley. To me, it wasn't exceptionally mature -- at least, not anywhere close to the "old veterans" like Yuna, Mao, and Carolina. That's understandable, of course, because she's still a developing skater. In a few years, she could look entirely different.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Julia has started training since June 7 after her vacation in Cyprus and horseback riding in her hometown City of Yekaterinburg
Ilia Averbukh will choreograph her SP and LP, she will work on jumps and more speed.

translated interview: http://fsrussia.ru/news/613_yuliya-lipnickaya-na-kipre-pobyvala-na-gore-olimp/

Figure skater Julia Lipnitskaya spent their holidays in Cyprus and has recently started to prepare for the new season at the sport in Novogorske. About what they saw during the rest of his hobbies, as well as a new stage of preparation for the upcoming season athlete told FFKKR site.

- Julia, than it is now engaged in the collection?

- The collection began at the end of last week, on June 7. As long as the preliminary work. The muscles pump up, I remember jumping, speed ... then proceed to new programs. Arbitrary set. The music for the short program found. But you must consult with the director Ilya Averbukh. By this season, both of my program puts it.

- Before you leave you say that you are in very good shape and I'll try to keep it. Failed?

- Of course, I tried to keep in shape, doing exercises - sit-ups, stretching, pumping, the muscles were not sleeping. Dealt with this before lunch, but not every day, because on vacation, especially in front of such a busy season, you need a good rest.

- Judging by their appearance, well rested.

- Yes, relaxed cool. In Cyprus, I was with my mother and family. They took a villa near the sea in the town of Ayia Napa. I was vacationing in Cyprus for the first time, so wanted to see the whole neighborhood. We rented a car and traveled throughout almost the entire island. There were at various beaches. Sand, clear water, what else is needed.

One day we decided to go to Paphos, a navigator, rather than to direct us along the coast, have a different route to the mountains. In general, the road turned out to be longer than the scheduled four hours on the road, but we do not regret it. Went up into the mountains, came in an unusual place - a village which is located winter sports resort. It's beautiful. Mountain called Olympus. This sporting match. From there I brought a lump. Took as a souvenir.

- Sea diving did not try to do?

- In general, I like to swim under water. During the boat tried to walk, but "underwater" in Cyprus is not in any comparison with Thailand. When we were in Asia, and around the dive there is full of different fish, sea urchins, reefs, seaweed. And then a few small fish and nothing else. But diving is still interesting. Although most of all I like to ride on horseback riding.

- Really?

- I have to testify in Yekaterinburg have their horse. I love these animals. Since childhood potter with them. My Swallows colt was born on April 6. Cool horse. Trotters. Now, however, often can not ride them on horseback. I'm in Moscow, and figure skating takes up all my time.

- Cyprus has not accidentally ride a horse?

- Went on a horse ride. The coach was great, a well-known local athlete horseman. But then the habit my whole body ached. Any sport requires training.

Interviewed by Olga Ermolina

cornell08

Final Flight
Well, that's a matter of opinion. I never called her style "childish," but it IS very "cute," IMO. Her Sleeping Beauty program was a good example of what I personally consider cute and smiley. To me, it wasn't exceptionally mature -- at least, not anywhere close to the "old veterans" like Yuna, Mao, and Carolina. That's understandable, of course, because she's still a developing skater. In a few years, she could look entirely different.

I thought it was more mature than Mao Asada's Nutcracker actually..

Mirunna

Record Breaker
I thought it was more mature than Mao Asada's Nutcracker actually..

Mao was barely 15 at that time. Zijun was 16 at worlds. Mao skated a masterpiece at 16, Nocturne program. Plus, ForeverFish was referring to current Mao, Yuna and Carolina. It's perfectly normal for Zijun to skate a bit childish since she is 16 and Yuna, Mao and Caro are 22, 22 and 26 respectively

miki88

Medalist
I thought Zijun's "Up" program a few seasons ago was her best program to date. It was charming without being saccharine, which I found her Sleeping Beauty program to be. She should follow Lulu's example and try out different choreographers to find her style.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm showing my age, but every Olympic fan of a similar age will be able to relate.

Back in the Nadia Comeniche era of women's gymnastics (1976 was her Olympic triumph) the girls used "little pixie" music in their floor exercise routines. They were just the CUTEST things EVER!

I dislike the figure skating equivalent of that kind of program.

ForeverFish

Medalist
Mao was barely 15 at that time. Zijun was 16 at worlds. Mao skated a masterpiece at 16, Nocturne program. Plus, ForeverFish was referring to current Mao, Yuna and Carolina. It's perfectly normal for Zijun to skate a bit childish since she is 16 and Yuna, Mao and Caro are 22, 22 and 26 respectively

Yep. Thanks for this, Mirunna.

Who knows? In five or six years (or even sooner), Zijun could look very well look like one of Yuna, Mao, or Carolina.

LRK

Record Breaker
Apparently Brian is working with Maxim Stavisky on his new SP. Does anyone know anything else? Music for instance?

Finnstep

Final Flight
Yu-na's interview on her new programs:

(Translated few parts of it)"New program would be completely different from Les Miserables."

..."Many liked Lés Miserables. Because I really liked the music and the program, I sometimes thought that it should've been used for an Olympic season."

"The new program is finished. I wasn't able to practice it a lot, but the music itself is completely different from Les Miserables, so I don't think it would be comparable(to Lés Miserables FS)." Yuna said.

Her choreographer, David Wilson also said "When we're preparing for next new season, we forget about last season's programs. We are trying new things that we haven't tried before. Next season's programs would be completely different."

On her new SP, Yuna said "SP music was decided much before FS. We didn't start on choreography, but we(Wilson and Yuna) would be working together for a week after an ice show."

Link to the Korean article:http://sports.news.naver.com/sports/index.nhn?category=general&ctg=news&mod=read&office_id=076&article_id=0002354207

I can't wait to see her music choices:)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Some of Team Shpilband probably will skate new programs in August at their home rink:

‏@NoviIceArena
Save the Date! The Customer Appreciation Open House and 15-year Birthday Party is August 17th. Full details to come.
1:50 PM - 18 Jun 13
https://twitter.com/NoviIceArena/status/347093899774398464

IIRC, last year's free Open House included a figure skating exhibition. Some biggies were among those who performed last year, although I forget exactly who. Pretty sure that Chock/Bates did ... maybe Cappellini/Lanotte too? (I was not there; only read about it, and I think some vids did show up on YouTube.)
Merely speculating, but I wonder whether Pechalat/Bourzat will take part this year? Kriengkrairut/Giuletti-Schmitt? etc., etc.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Paul/Islam: SD "Crazy for You"; FD "W.E." soundtrack (per their FB page)

Paul/Islam: SD "Crazy for You"; FD "W.E." soundtrack (per their FB page)

Alexandra Paul & Mitchell Islam
We're extremely excited to announce our music choices for the upcoming season!!
Our SD will be skated to pieces from the musical "Crazy for You," involving a foxtrot and quickstep. Our FD selection comes from the "W.E." soundtrack!! Enjoy :)
https://www.facebook.com/AlexandraPaulMitchellIslam/posts/378397365603870

ser22

On the Ice
Asahi Sports Twitter:
Seems Wilson talked a bit about Yuzu's FS- "Passionate& romantic movie soundtrack"