2013-2014 Programs by Discipline | Page 40 | Golden Skate

2013-2014 Programs by Discipline

TheCzar

On the Ice
Just saw these on my twitter and FB feeds:

Carolina Kostner
Cari amici, ho scelto le musiche dei miei due nuovi programmi!

Programma corto: "Humoresque" di A. Dvorak
Programma lungo: "Scheherazade" di N.Rimsky-Korsakov

@sport_folio: Carolina Kostner's new programs are: Humoresque by A. Dvorak (SP) and Scheherazade by N.Rimsky-Korsakov (FS)

Funnily enough, I had a feeling it was only a matter of time before Caro chose another war horse for the Olympic season. She's lyrical enough to play Scheherazade I guess, but depending on the music cut she chooses. I think the Kwan/Yuna versions will stand iconic and the Asada version the most whimsical to date (and that's a good thing!), so it'll be interesting to see whether Caro can bring something 'relatively' new to the mix.

Humoresque is a bit of an odd choice- and odd music choices tend to favour other skaters. Not Caro. Her Vampire SP wasn't one of her better choices. However, trust Lori to play favourites and give Kostner her best stuff.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Narumi Takahashi/Ryuichi Kihara "Les Miz" LP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNUbJ7Ebf0U

Thank youuuuuu so much! :)
Surprised! Iirc it's just 6 months or so since their teaming-up?! With only a double twist low in the height, and rather easier lifts (compared to other top pairs), but still amaging! :yay: Hopefully they can skate a little faster as they get more comfortable with this program and with each other. :yes:

I have a question: Can they earn TES enough to qualify for the Olympics with these elements? I mean, with no falls on jumps/throw jumps of course (here, Narumi went for a throw double loop).

chloepoco

Medalist
Thank youuuuuu so much! :)
Surprised! Iirc it's just 6 months or so since their teaming-up?! With only a double twist low in the height, and rather easier lifts (compared to other top pairs), but still amaging! :yay: Hopefully they can skate a little faster as they get more comfortable with this program and with each other. :yes:

I have a question: Can they earn TES enough to qualify for the Olympics with these elements? I mean, with no falls on jumps/throw jumps of course (here, Narumi went for a throw double loop).

Considering that Kihara only recently began pairs skating, they seem to be doing pretty good. However, I still miss Mervin and the Takahashi/Tran pairing :(

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just saw these on my twitter and FB feeds:

Programma lungo: "Scheherazade" di N.Rimsky-Korsakov

@sport_folio: Carolina Kostner's new programs are: Humoresque by A. Dvorak (SP) and Scheherazade by N.Rimsky-Korsakov (FS)

This seems like a bad joke! Is Lori Nichol now recycling Michelle's program music, done by other choreographers (eg, Bolero last season)? And even if Michelle (and Yu Na) hadn't used it, it is so overdone. Didn't Evan use it at the last Olympics? It's like, if it's an Olympic season, it must be Scheherazade.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker

Excellent FS for both ladies.

Karen has been improving steadily since her novice days and I'm so excited to see how she will do this season. I really hope she gets a JGP event...skating like that she deserves 2. I love the spring in her jumps and her spins are beautiful. She's so elegant and expressive! I just love her!

Satoko has improved quite a bit. I agree that her jumps are still small but their rotation is a lot less questionable now. They look fully rotated and clean. I've always thought she had very nice programs and this one is excellent. I love the way the tension builds throughout the program as well as the expression in her movements. Like Kanako she's not very voidy in the face but I definitely see it in the way she delivers her program. That was a great performance; a lot clean triples under the spotlight! I don't think she's Sochi ready at this point but I think she'll definitely make her case by the time nationals come around.

mskater93

Record Breaker
This is probably a dumb question, but I'm not a skater so I've always wondered how skaters learn and remember their choreo after first getting their programs choreographed. Is it written down/recorded/documented somehow? Often these early season showings seem a little empty or incomplete in places, so how is it that skaters fill in these gaps on their own after spending just a week or so with their choreographers? I know many skaters will go back for more sessions and fine-tuning throughout the season, but what do they initially take home?
It truly depends on the skater. Some take video of the choreographer/themselves while working with him/her, others write it down, and others just remember. As it is, you spend a lot of time on each segment and there's tons of visualization that happens...

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I first noticed Satoko about 2 years ago (I think) because of her transitions. My goodness, she packed in more transitions than Patrick Chan. I think she will be a star right after 2014.

Very gifted musically, too.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
As for Carolina and Scheherazade, wasn't it revealed a month ago?
I trust Lori would bring her best to this program, and make sure it's an instant masterpiece like she did to Bolero.

Bolero and Scheherazade aren't Kwan's strong programs. Kwan didn't do anything new to them. Actually, I'd say they were terrible programs.

Yuna also didn't do anything new to Scheherazade either. It wasn't one of her strong programs.

I'm skeptical, but hopeful that this will be the best Scheherazade ever.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
As for Carolina and Scheherazade, wasn't it revealed a month ago?
I trust Lori would bring her best to this program, and make sure it's an instant masterpiece like she did to Bolero.

Bolero and Scheherazade aren't Kwan's strong programs. Kwan didn't do anything new to them. Actually, I'd say they were terrible programs.

Yuna also didn't do anything new to Scheherazade either. It wasn't one of her strong programs.

I'm skeptical, but hopeful that this will be the best Scheherazade ever.

I agree. I wouldn't say Michelle's Scheherezade was terrible but it definitely isn't among her best FSs. It was solid but not special enough for an Olympic season....

Yu-Na's was nice but nothing special as well. I can't think of anyone who skated to it and really put their stamp on it.

I do think Carolina and Lori will make it something special. As of now, Carolina is the only skater I have 100% confidence in when it comes to having a well-done and captivating program...

Moment

Final Flight
Seems like Carolina Kostner is back to her old boring self who used to skate to salon classical music and conveniently call it artistry.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I love this girl! The maturity and interpretation are far beyond her age, and she's so musical :love: I don't think it's a coincidence that she shares the same coach as one of the most beautiful and musical skaters ever, Yukina Ota.
:)

I love the improvement I saw from Satoko too, I also love Yukina, She is so beautiful!

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Satoko has improved quite a bit. I agree that her jumps are still small but their rotation is a lot less questionable now. They look fully rotated and clean. I've always thought she had very nice programs and this one is excellent. I love the way the tension builds throughout the program as well as the expression in her movements. Like Kanako she's not very voidy in the face but I definitely see it in the way she delivers her program. That was a great performance; a lot clean triples under the spotlight! I don't think she's Sochi ready at this point but I think she'll definitely make her case by the time nationals come around.

I have never heard of Satoko before watching this program but I was very impressed. She knows how to use her arms to interpret music, which is refreshing to see for someone so young. She reminds me a bit of Akiko, who is another skater that I think interprets music very well. She is a bit unlucky to be from Japan because I think if she were from any other country (besides USA and Russia) she would be a lock for an Olympic spot.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My favorite Scheherazade--in fact, the only one I like--is Mao's short program in 2011. Now that was a different take on the old warhorse. I also liked her harem pants. :)

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Well, I didn't remember that I predicted Caro's FS music, thank you yyyskate! :cool: Now I WANT to see Yu-Na skating to Swan Lake! :cool: ( :clap: to me!! ;) )

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I think Im going to be sick with so many Les Miserables programs this season
its Yuna's fault :laugh: