2013 Worlds Ladies SP | Page 64 | Golden Skate

2013 Worlds Ladies SP

daniel1406

Rinkside
Finally watched the ladies' SP. I think this was one of the worst Worlds ever in terms of Ladies judging.

Kostner's hard fall on 3T was not sufficiently reflected in her marks and standing.
Asada didn't have any triple jump cleanly executed. She singled the loop, underrotated 3F, and underrotated & two-footed 3A which gave her +0.14 GOE.
And she finished 6th in the SP.

I know judges favor Kostner and Asada, but figure skating is a sport. Please don't remind me of Salt Lake City.

I couldn't agree with you more. and look at the point differences. they are all so close whilst their performances were NOT. As you said, Asada didn't execute any triple jumps in her sp (even 3A which got +GOE, was two-footed yet no downgrade). And the point difference between Kim and Asada is what..7? and with the fall on the 3T, there's only 3 points difference between Kim and Kostner (Kim's sp was more difficult).

Can anyone explain how Asada got 62.10 (29.70+32.40) where as Kim got 69.97 (36.79 + 33.18)? and how could Asada's 3A got 8.50+0.14 -_-

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
- Kim shouldn't have gotten the "e" on the flip. Even in slow-mo, it's fine. I believe that a flat edge with a sliver of back inside is allowable technique for a flip.

- I don't mind Kostner's higher PCS because she used more edgework and more body movement throughout her program. But she should have gotten all mandatory -3s on the fall on the second 3T, which should also have been downgraded by at least one degree.

berrycute

On the Ice
Ha, ha! Valentina is extremely lovely as is Silvia Fontana Zimmerman, but clearly neither Valentina nor Silvia ever had the talent that Carolina possesses. I'm talking about lack of talented depth. Clearly Carolina doesn't have any serious, heavy competition in her country. Much more depth of talented competition exists in the United States, Japan, and Canada than in most other countries.

Hmm, but then it's not Carolina's fault she's so much better than most other skaters. If Carolina was an American or Canadian, she would also have a pretty easy time qualifying for worlds because there aren't more than one skater in either country more likely to beat her than Valentina. Japan is the only country that would really pose a problem for her in qualifying for worlds, really.

Art&Sport

Medalist
^^ ITA, draqq! Again, the scoring is not based on what the skaters actually do on the ice. There is no even-handedness in the judging.

Hmm, but then it's not Carolina's fault she's so much better than most other skaters. If Carolina was an American or Canadian, she would also have a pretty easy time qualifying for worlds because there aren't more than one skater in either country more likely to beat her than Valentina. Japan is the only country that would really pose a problem for her in qualifying for worlds, really.

Surely you are not serious berrycute! No one is claiming that something is Carolina's fault. I'm pretty sure she's not too happy about falling, but feeling pretty good about being held up in this high stakes field. And btw, Carolina is not better than most other skaters. She only found better consistency in recent years and she has had the distinct advantage of being in front of ISU judges at Worlds every year for nearly ten years. They look upon her magnanimously. Also Carolina started leaving out jumps that are difficult for her, which she's able to get away with under CoP. And something seemed to click for Carolina while she was training under Frank Carroll in the United States, but she didn't like living here so she took what she'd learned home with her and went back to her familiar former coach and began to prosper because she finally learned how to put it all together, plus she finally matured artistically.

Last season, with Mao still putting her jumps back together, with Yu Na out and Alissa deep-sixed by an unknown injury and self-doubt it was an easier field for Carolina and she managed to establish herself. Now, she's got a lot of backing and apparently some fall advantages too, just like none other than Patrick Chan used to have. Patrick got away with making mistakes at last year's Worlds, but we shall see what happens next in the fp.

I think Pat will show up cuz he knows he may not be held up with mistakes this year. However, the fact he's 98 points ahead may be so relaxing for him that a mistake or two might creep in cuz he knows it won't make much difference.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Just watched Kaetlyn and Kanako's program. I do think Carolina should have been behind both of them. I'm fine with her getting higher PCS than both, but that TES was a bit much. 64-ish would have been fine.

I did not agree with Kaetlyn's win at Skate Canada, but she has won me over here. I did not think the choreo was cutsey at all. I think it was the style of a teenager strutting her stuff--reasonable considering she is a teenager. :biggrin: I do like how she dances into her elements.

Kanako's program was absolutely gorgeous and her score was quite good. Hope the momentum continues into the long.

The person who I think was overscored was Mao. That 3A should have not gotten positive GOE.

sunrock

Rinkside
What is it with you?

The point is that Kostner had a very prominent fall. The question has been asked on this thread as to why that should matter.

From a PCS perspective, I have long (and publicly, too) maintained that a technical shortcoming becomes an aesthetic shortcoming when it significantly affects the arc, mood, flow, or design of the program, and its relationship with the music (which are all, directly or indirectly, enshrined in the PCS bullets). This is why, in my very strong opinion, a slight two-footed landing, say, or even a planned triple that is doubled, should have a lesser impact, while a splat should have far greater. Therefore, there should have been a material effect on at least PE, IN and CH.

Is there something about this critique you do not understand, and is there a reason why you seem to turn every post into an ad hominem attack on either Yuna or her fans?

i had to come out from years of lurking because this made me laugh so hard. it's so ridiculously true, i'm glad someone is calling her out on it. i mean, really, just look at the post above from the same user.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
me too. The dress is lovely though.

I agree on the dress. Here is my problem with Yu Na. If someone were to design a perfect skater--with the perfect look, flawless technique, the best jumps, good speed, excellent choreography, great spins and footwork--that would be Yu Na. But what is missing is that soulful quality--some might call it an X-factor. It's what Dai Takahashi has, for example. I am searching for the right word to describe her skating and robotic keeps coming to mind with Yu Na. It's not really the right word because it is too disparaging. But it is all I can come up with to describe her--or at least the way she is skating now. I would not use it with regard to her Bond program or her Danse Macabre or some of her other, earlier programs.

amc987

On the Ice
Thoughts:

1. Kim was the class of the field today. Her jumps were fantastic as always. Her spins left a bit to be desired. Agree about her program being less audience-friendly this year, but I think that's because of her music selection not because she did a less fine job of interpreting it/ expressing herself. Well deserved 1st place. I think she could and should be a couple of points higher without that bogus "e" on the flip.

2. I hope Kostner sends the judges a bouquet of flowers because they did her a big favor today. She UR'd her 2nd 3T and fell. Her jump content is not as difficult as some other ladies and it wasn't executed as well. No matter how great her spins, footwork, and choreography are- and they were wonderful today- she shouldn't be in 2nd place. She shouldn't get much over 61 for that.

3. Murakami was fabulous. Her jumps were fully rotated, her spins were great. She was lyrical and so happy to do a clean program. I think she was my favorite today.

4. Osmond was good. She handled the occasion well. I don't think her PCS- particularly for choreography, skating skills and interpretation, should be as high as they are. There's something still juniorish about the way she emotes- reminds me of a child playing dress up in that she's trying hard but she's not totally believable yet. Jumps were good. Her footwork looked a little slow.

5. Wagner was solid not spectacular. She needs to upgrade her tech content. Frankly, I think she was fortunate that there were a lot of mistakes today, otherwise she'd have gotten buried. Jumps were clean, presentation was on point, spins were OK except the last sit spin which was slow. I think she's going to need a 7-triple program (with 2A-3T) to be on the podium on Saturday. I hope she brings her A-game.

6. Too bad about the loop. I'm really impressed that Mao went for and landed a fully rotated 3A though!! It's quite impressive. I couldn't tell whether the flip was really UR (I'm guessing if her name was Kostner, it wouldn't have been). Spins and interpretation were excellent. I'm sure she'll be better on Saturday.

7. Suzuki was underscored IMO. She lacked a bit of spring on her jumps today, but her choreo and musicality were wonderful, as always. Her 2nd 3T was probably UR (it was hard to tell on the replay), but it was certainly no worse than Carolina's. Her flip and axel were fine. Her spins weren't quite as good as 4CC- a bit wobbly on one- but she should be in the final flight. I expect her to move up.

8. Everyone else- Adelina looked very nervous. I think her nerves affected her presentation which didn't look as good as at Euros. The first half of Elizaveta's program was great. The 2nd half was a disaster. It's unfortunate that she singled out on the axel and missed a whole spin. Hopefully she'll come back on Saturday, guns blazing and ready to claim a spot in the top 10. Gracie looked jittery too. I think the camel spin was a stupid mistake. Good on her for going for the 3T after a wonky landing on the 3Z. I think she's going to be quite the competitor next year after she shakes some of these nerves off. I'm really hoping she skates a clean long so the US can have 3 spots for Sochi!!!

wallylutz

Medalist
I think at least 75% of people (if not more) were standing in the end. doesn't that count as a standing ovation although not as fancy as the awe-inspiring standing ovation you mentioned? I totally get your point btw.

I agree with you that Yuna's sp is lacking a connection with the audience if we compare it to her other programs in the past.
But again, she's just come back to the field (she hasn't been competing since 11 worlds as far as I remember. and even in that year, she only competed at the worlds). Therefore, I don't think it's reasonable for us to expect something phenomenal programs that would blow us away at this stage (as her past programs did). Anyway, I'm quite satisfied with her sp and lp this year :)

You think 75% but that wasn't the reality. As I posted from the rink earlier today, the reception to Yu Na's SP was polite but somewhat understated. If I have to take a guess, many Canadians are still offended by the lack of tact she showed when she abruptly broke up with Orser after the Olympics despite that Canada nurtured and supported her for all those years even though she was a big rival to Joannie Rochette (without Yu Na, Rochette would have won Worlds in 2009). On the other hand, her performance today also wasn't very inspiring, so there was that as well.

Despite the people in this forum circulating the false information re: ovations, Kanako Murakami also received a fairly large standing O, it wasn't just Osmond. Kanako definitely captured the audience this afternoon. Ashley Wagner also received one, though somewhat smaller as there were many Americans in the stand. Surprisingly, there were quite few Koreans in the crowd, I was expecting a whole army of them as in the past.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Finally watched the ladies' SP. I think this was one of the worst Worlds ever in terms of Ladies judging.

Kostner's hard fall on 3T was not sufficiently reflected in her marks and standing.
Asada didn't have any triple jump cleanly executed. She singled the loop, underrotated 3F, and underrotated & two-footed 3A which gave her +0.14 GOE.
And she finished 6th in the SP.

I know judges favor Kostner and Asada, but figure skating is a sport. Please don't remind me of Salt Lake City.

Oh but haven't you heard, Kostner has the best skating skills and Asada has the best transitions, so they should be in podium position, if anything. :love:

:rolleye:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
You think 75% but that wasn't the reality. As I posted from the rink earlier today, the reception to Yu Na's SP was polite but somewhat understated. If I have to take a guess, many Canadians are still offended by the lack of tact she showed when she abruptly broke up with Orser after the Olympics despite that Canada nurtured and supported her for all those years even though she was a big rival to Joannie Rochette (without Yu Na, Rochette would have won Worlds in 2009). On the other hand, her performance today also wasn't very inspiring, so there was that as well.

Despite the people in this forum circulating the false information re: ovations, Kanako Murakami also received a fairly large standing O, it wasn't just Osmond. Kanako definitely captured the audience this afternoon. Ashley Wagner also received one, though somewhat smaller as there were many Americans in the stand. Surprisingly, there were quite few Koreans in the crowd, I was expecting a whole army of them as in the past.

Maybe tickets were sold out before Koreans could get them (or realized Yuna was competing) -- seems like a good crowd of Canadians and Americans.

shine

Record Breaker
i had to come out from years of lurking because this made me laugh so hard. it's so ridiculously true, i'm glad someone is calling her out on it. i mean, really, just look at the post above from the same user.

Hey, I'm glad it's me, rather than any particular skating related subject that brought you out of you lurkdom. I am truly honoured. As for your question - it's very easy. My negativity toward her ubers started at a time when I couldn't search for one single figure skating video on Youtube without having 2 or 3 pages of Yuna videos come up (or tactless "Japanese skaters obstructing Kim during practice" videos and all sorts of other ridiculous crap). I mean what kind of fans do that kind of stuff? :laugh:

Krislite

Medalist

Oh, seriously? Even Orser is over it. The only one who has any right to take offense was Orser. "Canadians" didn't nurture her. And she didn't completely burn bridges. She stuck with David Wilson and I imagine she was on good terms with Tracy as well. She's continued to invite many Canadians to her ATS show as well, from Chan to Browning, Rochette and V/M. Don't blow that break-up out of proportion.

jaylee

Medalist

Everyone knows that the poster above has an axe to grind with Yu-Na, so no need to guess on the motivations of the poster above. I was there today. Yu-Na did indeed get a standing ovation. I can't guess on percentages, but most of my section stood (upper section). (Oh, and did you all know that Joannie Rochette was a rival to Yu-Na? Really? Rochette was her own biggest enemy in terms of success, and she and Yu-Na were never really rivals, seeing as Rochette only beat her once at Yu-Na's senior debut. I love Rochette but am appalled at the above.)

Kanako did get a nice standing ovation, and she was lovely. One of my top three performances of the afternoon, along with Yu-Na and Osmond.

The only chilly reaction from the audience during the ladies SP today was that to Carolina Kostner's score, but not to Kostner herself. It was stunned silence afterwards. That's just my observation sitting in the audience today. I'm not arguing right now about whether or not Kostner deserved her scores, but I am pretty sure that second 3T was UR--they played it in slow-mo on the arena.

Robeye

Final Flight
Hey, I'm glad it's me, rather than any particular skating related subject that brought you out of you lurkdom. I am truly honoured. As for your question - it's very easy. My negativity toward her ubers started at a time when I couldn't search for one single figure skating video on Youtube without having 2 or 3 pages of Yuna videos come up (or tactless "Japanese skaters obstructing Kim during practice" videos and all sorts of other ridiculous crap). I mean what kind of fans do that kind of stuff? :laugh:
Either your searches or your memory are extremely selective. I tend to go with the latter.

shine

Record Breaker
Just because you didn't notice something, doesn't mean it didn't exist. Maybe you were not affected by the phenomenon back then because you did not search for any other figure skating video besides the ones of Yuna Kim, which is, of course, understandable.