2014 Cup of China Free Dance 11/08 | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2014 Cup of China Free Dance 11/08

KKonas

Medalist
Cup of China Dance
My thoughts
Paul & Islam – Pretty program but not a lot of difficulty and they skate too far apart in partnering positions.
I & Z – Abundant Russian drama , but like P&I, they are too far apart in partnering positions. This should improve with more time together as they are a more talented team.
Shibs – Thought this FD performance was faster but Levels not up to par and Maia’s error on the 2nd set of twizzles didn’t help.
C&L - A fall at the beginning and taking too long to get back on track was their undoing here as it affected the rest of the program. The program itself does have potential , but again they need to work on those Levels .
P&C – Can’t help but watch them. Said when they were juniors that this team had the “it” factor. What a coup to win this senior FD and the entire event. Also really like their SD.
Note: Don’t think Zoueva is a great “technical” coach and she certainly needs a better one, without Igor.

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
I don't get C/L and how the became world champions last year... but that is in the past...
I/Z have loads of potential, I would have then ahead of C/L for sure... and higher PCS should have gone to I/Z...
P/C - just great!

Alba

Record Breaker
Very happy with P&C win. I like both their programs and they were the best couple in both SD and FD in this competition, IMO.
I'm really sorry for the Shibs. I don't know what more to say about them rather than what I've said so many times.
You have the talent guys, and you have the gift. Do change coach ASAP!

So happy for I&Z. They have a bright future together.

Dance saved my day today. At least something good.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Congrats to the French - a couple of years ago of us said or thought they had the it factor though I do prefer Weaver and Poje over them and I feel a bit sorry for the Shibs; hoping they would get gold. C andL like Hanyu the current world champions were held up in both programs. Ironcially C and L was a team that I felt had the ability to crash and burn after winning. They had to be the weakest ice dance win/world champs in history. Well they barely won and W andP could have been given gold it was that close. But their programs were shakey,rough, unfinished and concepts weak. though the Russians have a long way to go they deserved bronze.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Add the French to Chock and Bates to the world medal hunt and possibly say good by to Russian 3 teams.

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I am beyond disappointed in the Shibs. This was their moment to make a move and they faltered. Maybe they need to spend more time on the ice and less on social media

Mao88

Record Breaker
FREE DANCE - VIDEOS & RESULT - updated

1. Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON (FRA) - 160.12 Free Dance, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
2. Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI (USA) - 157.36 Free Dance, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
3. Anna CAPPELLINI / Luca LANOTTE (ITA) - 149.58 Free Dance, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
4. Elena ILINYKH / Ruslan ZHIGANSHIN (RUS) - 144.70 Free Dance, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
5. Alexandra PAUL / Mitchell ISLAM (CAN) - 140.46 Free Dance, 2nd Copy
6. Shiyue WANG / Xinyu LIU (CHN) - 126.18 Free Dance, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
7. Yiyi ZHANG / Nan WU (CHN) - 108.66 Free Dance, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
8. Yue ZHAO / Xun ZHENG (CHN) - 103.44 Free Dance, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy

Medal Ceremony

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I am beyond disappointed in the Shibs. This was their moment to make a move and they faltered. Maybe they need to spend more time on the ice and less on social media

Agree, and maybe they should switch coaches as well!

leafygreens

Final Flight

They did great! What are you talking about. They aren't typically in first so I'm sure it was nerve racking for them. I thought their dance was excellent.

sisinka

Medalist
Gabriella Papadakis & Guillaume Cizeron:

Twizzles Level 4:
…very nice…

Straight Lift Level 4:
…beautiful entry into the lift…

Step Sequence Level 2 and 3:
…more questionable edges by Guillaume, also some light edges by Gabriella, bigger spacing between partners and no, no, no – get rid of that upper body bent forward done from time to time Gabriella!

Original and beautiful curved lift, very lovely choreo spinning movement.

Many many two footed skating in Transitions. Gabriella doesn’t have proper work with free leg, doesn’t go into extension very often not only during steps, but also in Transitions, it gives the idea of not finished movements.

As to presentation:

I like choreography very much, the originality of some moments. It is not a difficult choreography (with stops, two footed skating), but every second is something happening, you don’t get bored. The music is very light and the couple creates very light mood also. Gabriella looks to be pretty tall girl, but she does toe steps and hoops very easily (which usually tall girls are not able to do – they look heavy in it – watch Stepanova or Sinitsina).

I like the dance, it is new and fresh. It is as light as feather. It doesn’t touch my soul yet, but this is going to be one of the best FDs this season. I personally prefer their SD.

P.S. French number 1 is doing its job. Even with such two great programs, the couple would never move up so high without Federation support. Personally I feel a little bit sorry for Natalie & Fabian who were also great and deserved high marks, but their journey to medals was much more difficult and their last year they were shot down at both Olympics and World Champs. Gabriella & Guillaume are not better technicians than Natalie & Fabien were and one year and they immediatelly jump into European Gold Medal Contenders. Natalie & Fabien must be sad that while other couple can be supported, they themselves were not in most needed time.

sisinka

Medalist
Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani:

Twizzles Level 4:
…not on high level today…I don’t understand +3 GOE from one judge, around 0 or maybe some -1 GOE (Alex did one more rotation in the second Set) would look OK…

Rotational Lift Level 2:
…I think that Technical panel didn’t count Maia’s position which was not full split…Alex was rotating at least five rotations which fulfilled the criteria for Level 2…

Spin Level 2:
…during first part both Maia and Alex didn’t keep three rotations…
…during second part of spin Maia had layback position (Basic Position Upright) and Alex sit position with leg straight forward (Basic Sit Position)…
…so Technical panel could count only two difficult positions in the second part of the spin and because those were positions from two different Basic Poses, the couple fulfilled the criteria for Level 2…

Step Sequences Level 2 and 3:
…some light edges, some nice edges…

As to presentation:

I like a lot Maia’s elegant posture through the whole dance, still I would like to see more ballroom hold with upper body bent to the side from Maia.

My complains about the choreography which don’t fit to Waltz rhythm continues, but the couple tries to make most of parts into the rhythm, I appreciate it (it is very difficult with such choreography).

My notice from first lift at Skate America stays – I would prefer bigger and more expressive arm movements by Maia.

The couple better accepts the change in music cuts, it looks better than last time.

In the last part when Diagonal Step Sequence starts – it looses because the couple is not able to keep with the dynamics and speed in music (I am not sure whether somebody else than Tessa & Scott would be able to keep at least Level 3 steps into such fast music). After the Diagonal Step Sequence, there is another place where movements needs to be more energetic and dynamic.

Better than in Skate America.

sisinka

Medalist
Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte:

Twizzles Level 4:
…Luca had visible problems in the second Set – look at his blade, I would say that he did a Piruette also…
…the couple got Level 4, so the Technical panel didn’t point the Piruette, I am not sure, I would rather say that there was a Piruette…
…looking at Handbook for Judges – with such skidded second Set by Luca, they should give no higher than 0, but the couple got +1 and +2 GOE only

Straight Lift Level 4:
…entry into the lift – Anna almost stopped rotation around Luca’s neck in one moment, Luca was shaky during whole lift…one judge gave +2 adn one judge +1 GOE, come on…

Step Sequences Level 2 and 3:
…some nice edges, some light edges, some not clean change of edges…for example watch Luca in the opening step of Circular Step Sequence – Rocker – he starts with Right Backward Inside edge – then instead of clean change of edge he goes through heel of blade – he should finish in Right Forward Inside edge – but Luca does no edge there…if you watch Anna’s opening step – she also does Rocker – she starts with very light Right Forward Outside edge – then changes (her change of edge is much better then in Luca’s case, no heel of blade there) – she finishes in Right Backward Outside edge…I expect that Luca’s turn was not counted and Anna’s turn could be counted, although her opening edge was light…

As to presentation:

He is the Death and she is going to die. I think that opening and final movements are greatly creating the atmosphere and explaining what is going on, that is great. Overall there are some good choreo moments through the program, I think that choreography is good.

What was very very poor - their presentation. I realise that Luca’s fall and very problematic opening lift were definitely moments which did not help to create more confidence, but Anna and Luca are not teenagers, they should realise that one second / one poorly done elements is not creating the whole program. The program has many elements and besides elements, there is a presentation. Even if there is visible that Levels are lost and another couple will go over you, there are still many reasons to keep fighting to the end. If nothing else at least fans sitting in front of computer or sitting at the rink deserves to see the best from you.

In my opinion a dancer portraying Death should be fast, dynamic, passionate, tyrannous and very demonic. Woman can be soft, but also trying to fight to save herself, but slowly falling into Death‘s net. I saw nothing from this in Anna & Luca’s presentation.

I hope for fully recovery in TEB, not only in Element score and mistakes but also in presentation.

This time their FD worth fifth place in all – Element score, Component score and overall competiton score. And only big judges kindness kept them on the third place, but they fairly didn’t deserve it.

So, next time.

sisinka

Medalist
Elena Ilinykh & Ruslan Zhiganshin:

Step Sequences Level 3:
…great edges, deep edges, in every Step Sequence there was a moment when some turn was under question of having light edge or no edge, but many turns perfect…
…why judges gave 0 or +1 GOE only, I don’t know…+2 would be OK (with some space to get closer and skate like one in every second until the steps will reach +3 GOE), but judges giving 0 or +1 GOE only, this is really not matching what happened on the ice…

Twizzles Level 4:
…I was shocked, I expected some kind of fight which was in SD, but those are the best Twizzles executed this season from all couples. Simply superb, also perfect synchro during all Sets (they only get closer in the third Set) and Oh my God watch that ice coverage in the first Set, very good ice coverage in the second Set (realise that they are not changing leg, so to keep balance and moving in second Set is very difficult)…
…I re-watched those Twizzles few times and I couldn’t believe that the couple skating together for such short time can execute such perfect Twizzles in such perfect synchro…
…I take today’s Twizzles even better that I&K were doing when they were “in the right mood“…
…I don’t have words for judges – GOE 0 or 1, and even -1 from somebody only supports the idea that their knowledge of Grade of Execution is not on high Level (or somebody persuade them that this couple is no way Russian Federation‘s sweetheart?)….those Twizzles deserved +3 GOE from all judges (only one judge realised what he/she saw and gave +3 GOE)…
…in reality those Twizzles got the same GOE like in SD, which is very very strange…I&Z got GOE + 0.60 points only, while even C&L with visible mistake got GOE +0.96 points, P&C whose Twizzles were no way better got 1.20 points…

Curved Lift Level 2:
…big fight in this lift…
…for Level 3 they needed to have 3 seconds in Difficult position for Lifting partner and 3 seconds in Difficult position for Lifted partner…Ruslan didn’t keep one foot position for three seconds…

Spin Level 1:
…during first part Lena slightly moved up with her upper body during the third rotation (normally it is not visible, only when you watch carefully the blue line on the board), Ruslan moved with his free leg too long until he fixed the position in Sit Spin, so he didn’t keep fixed position for 3 rotations…
…during second part only Ruslan’s camel is counted (lady’s simple camel is not counted like difficult position)…
…in the third part Ruslan has Upright Basic Position (this is not some kind of difficult position) and Lena has difficult position in Camel Basic Position having almost split between legs…
…so only 2 difficult positions were counted, but because they were both from Group of Camel Basic Position, the couple didn’t fulfilled the criteria for Level 2 where you need two different difficult positions in TWO DIFFERENT Basic Positions…so they dropped to Level 1…

Great speed, great skating skills. I would like to see more close holds in Transitions and in future more difficult Transitions, because this couple is really capable of this with no worry to hide some weaknesses. Better unison is needed.

Already now the couple has smaller distance between each other in Step Sequences than I&K ever had, but I would like to see them closer in future.

I see visible improvement in Lena’s free leg extension during most of steps, I hope that at the end of the season all steps will be done with perfect free leg extension.

As to presentation:

Once again I would complain about the couple not skating at some B-competition. This FD is very good (while SD is a masterpiece), but such kind of program needs to be skated more than once to tranfer all emotions and the atmosphere to the audience. I think that every next time this dance will grow and will take more attention.

In presentation - right now there are strong moments and some moments when it is OK, then again strong moment and then OK part, it is not compact yet. Nice gradation towards the end of program, good expression of powerfull moments in music.

sisinka

Medalist
Comparing Component score of top 4 dance couples:

Skating Skills: S&S 8.25 points, P&C 8.10 points, C&L 7.75 points, I&Z 7.50 points

Really? In what moment? Once again the same situation like in SD, I&Z had the best Skating Skills – they also had judge’s favourite speed not only in Transitions but also in Step Sequences…and they were visibly faster then anyone else (but only one judge didn’t forget his glasses and put at least 8.00 points – still low but at least something)…then followed by Skating Skills of Shibs and P&C, C&L on the last place with bigger distance from P&C.

Performance: P&C 8.35 points, S&S 8.25 points, I&Z 7.75 points, C&L 7.55 points
Choreography: P&C 8.50 points, S&S 8.20 points, C&L 8.05 points, I&Z 7.70 points
Interpretation: P&C 8.65 points, S&S 8.25 points, I&Z 7.85 points, C&L 7.75 points

C&L should be the last in all those Components and by more than half point and choregraphy should be touched by fall and very very long time until the couple continued in skating. I would put I&Z‘s Interpretation and Performance much closer to Shibs. Shibs dance is more compact while I&Z needs to work on unison in whole dance, but I didn’t see difference of half point.

I would like to hear an explanation from all judges on what skating key they were putting Components marks, especially in terms of Skating Skills (and mainly concentrating on I&Z and C&L’s points). I have an idea – the lighter lady’s dress, the bigger Component marks…any other key in putting the Components looks impossible.

MarieM

On the Ice
To answer your comments about Pechalat and Bourzat, and if there is a lesson to be learnt with Papadakis and Cizeron, it's that you have to be humble and take what chance helps you get. You show prepared at each competition and you don't fall in silly places. Ice dance and chance have always been something to be reckoned, and Gabriella and Guillaume just were lucky. But luck alone doesn't work, it takes WORK.
And Nathalie was delighted on Eurosport that they won.

As for Elena I agree, she HAS the best skating skills. But with Ruslan ? Not yet. They'll get there when they have time to gel, but it'll take a lot more time to adjust I'm afraid. And their FD isn't really there yet. It sucks to stay polite. It's generic crap.

lmarie086

Medalist
I'm a bit disappointed by the construction of C/L's Danse Macabre - for years I wanted Meryl and Charlie to do a FD set to this piece (Saint-Saens is underused IMO) and I saw real potential for them to do a dark, edgier performance to it (they were too young for the original version of Eleanor Rigby probably, but the last few years...). But seeing what Marina did with Danse Macabre for C/L, maybe it's a good thing.

There's definite potential in the program, but I don't think the program construction - or C/L's presentation - responds properly to the music. And it doesn't help that I immediately thought they were trying to look like Tessa and Scott, in terms of the costuming. Because that was my very first thought, and then that C/L still skate small.