2014 Japan Open | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2014 Japan Open

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Oh man. I just watched Radianova's program. I'm a fan of hers... and she skated really well... but... the music. She used the same music with the exact same cuts as Michelle (save for the middle part to make this a long program) and even does her a spiral at the exact same moment Michelle did. I feel like I'm gonna get some weird form of PTSD every time I watch this program - where I'll be tricked in going through the emotional journey Michelle took me on in '98 and again in '02.

I have so many questions. Do Michelle and Lori know what's happening? Has Elena even made the necessary pilgrimage to the East West Ice Palace, and offered her indulgences before the velvet blue slip dress? Did Danny and Karen perform the correct Sacraments before she stepped on the ice? Did she at least go to confessional with the ABC commentating team of Uncle Dick, Peggy and Terry so that she be will absolved of all her skating sins, before wearing the Holy Veil of Rach?

I feel like I should add a disclaimer that I am (sort of) kidding. ;)

I think people are overemphasizing the Michelle connection. Not all viewers nowadays harken from the Kwan era. I never watched Kwan's programs and I think Radianova's program is fantastic in its own right.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
OMG, this is sacrilege. Radionova uses Kwan's SP music, but CHOPS IT IN HALF and shoves trash in the middle, all while wearing a dress that looks like Lipinski's 1998 SP dress. I CAN'T. I'M DYING IN THIS TOWN!!!

Triple Loop, half loop, Triple Salchow is such an annoyingly ugly CoP invention. PLEASE GIRLS STOP DOING IT. :cry:

Anyway, Radionova's program was actually quite good until halfway through the step sequence. Then you see she's just doing the needless movements as usual and not moving to a real choreographic concept. The music cut in the middle of her spin was particularly ridiculous and hackneyed and the program remains that way for the remainder of its duration.

-----

Murakami's program is by far the worst she's ever had. Those lyrics are awful and overbearing. And the peek-a-boo hand movements? OMFG.

-----

Nagasu's program is completely dull. No sense of character or emotion or anything until the very end.

----

Pogorilaya's program was...not terrible. It isn't creative but does have energy.

----

I LOVE the concept of ASHLEY WAGNER'S program. Well, yes, I would have to. Very happy she took this music suggestion. It's not exactly the cut I wanted and the overall choreography could be improved (but won't be because they refuse to change her technical layout), but this a work that actually moves. It is full of life. This will be a highlight of the season. Not the masterpiece it deserves to be, but still so much better than all the crap out there.

----

However, it is SATOKO MIYAHARA who emerges with the probably the best program right now. Nearly every moment is considered for a real purpose and tailored TO the music. Bravo! This program should not have lyrics, though. They are only in that one segment of the program and end up just being distracting and impossible to fully interpret with the elements that need to be in that section. You wish her jumps were a bit bigger as well, because their miniscule size removes some excitement from the program. Still, great work overall!

alebi

Medalist
I can't believe it but my favourite LP this year (till now) is Chan's program!! It's incredible he won't compete, this program is already way better than everything else I've seen.
Really, I can't find an interesting program so far and I'm starting to hate the vocals... They really don't add anything and are only distracting :eek:hwell: (in particular in Fernandez program here)

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
OMG, this is sacrilege. Radionova uses Kwan's SP music, but CHOPS IT IN HALF and shoves trash in the middle, all while wearing a dress that looks like Lipinski's 1998 SP dress. I CAN'T. I'M DYING IN THIS TOWN!!!

:laugh::laugh: Ok Virginia

I do feel like Radionova is showing a flare for showmanship that isn't there for other juniors,
She would benefit tremendously IMO in the next couple of years should they expose her to north american choreographers,
The musical edits of her long and short are not meant to happen, I can't believe they missed the JLO dream footwork bit and put a 2A and spin on it.

My bet on september 1st was she would win worlds this year :cool:

Oh and refine the chest\shoulder hair dress as well please, Though i guess it DOES spark conversation

samson

Medalist
I think people are overemphasizing the Michelle connection. Not all viewers nowadays harken from the Kwan era. I never watched Kwan's programs and I think Radianova's program is fantastic in its own right.

Careful. Until you accept Kwan as your Lord and Savior you are forever doomed to purgatory, at best.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
I agree, Personally it doesn't stand out for me, But if you're a skating fan it's one of those programs you need to know

yuki

Final Flight
Don't know if this has been posted elsewhere, but the same channel has started uploading gala videos from COI.
I've watched Kanako's so far and this would have made a much better FS than the one she currently has.

inskate

On the Ice
I've watched Kanako's so far and this would have made a much better FS than the one she currently has.

This is actually her SP back from the 2009–2010 season. Unfortunately, I can't find a good quality version on Youtube (I'll try to upload it later)... It's one of my favourite programs - it's rare for a junior skater to skate to flamenco well, but Kanako managed to capture the feel of it perfectly (IIRC she described it as "crisp, but oozing/sticky" ;) ).

I really wish she'd bring it back... From the most recent interview it seems she'll skate to POTO in both her SP ("Think of me") and LP... WHY??? :cry: :cry: :cry:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
just watched Radionova's ex. well, no doubt she is a natural performer...but it feels campy ...
I agree with some of you here, perhaps try work with a North American choreographer would be good for her.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker

http://youtu.be/9Gjub2tjIGA

Radianova will be wonderful artistically one day. She is a great jumper and a lovely skater. But to me (and yes I hail from the Kwan era) Radianova lacks polish and maturity. It's hard for me not to compare the two, Kwans program is iconic and to me a signature piece in skating. Radianova' maturity will come in time.

pandaatlarge

On the Ice
I heard TV Tokyo didn't on air Anna P's EX. What a shame!!! It was one of the most stunning performances which made people "WOW" and standing ovation yesterday!!! So I must post it here.

At the beginning I was very curious when I saw her dressing black and wearing a black wig.
She was skating to Conchita Wurst's "Rise Like a Phoenix", winner of Eurovision this year.
During the first chorus she was skating beautifully, though fell on one jump.

Then when it came to the second chorus, where the lyric was like "rise from the ashes" "transform", "reborn" etc, she tore her dress and wig, then a golden dress showed up, together with her beautiful blonde long hair, and she began to spin. You can just imagine how stunning and unreal she look with the golden dress and her hair and the spotlight. Everyone just WOW and whispered "beautiful". She skated the rest of the program with passion and strength, which again interpreted the song well.

Simply one of the most stunning performances yesterday, if not the most stunning.

Barb

Record Breaker
I heard TV Tokyo didn't on air Anna P's EX. What a shame!!! It was one of the most stunning performances which made people "WOW" and standing ovation yesterday!!! So I must post it here.

At the beginning I was very curious when I saw her dressing black and wearing a black wig.
She was skating to Conchita Wurst's "Rise Like a Phoenix", winner of Eurovision this year.

Then when it came to the second chorus, where the lyric was like "rise from the ashes" "transform", "reborn" etc, she tore her dress and wig, then a golden dress showed up, together with her beautiful blonde long hair, and she began to spin. You can just imagine how stunning and unreal she look with the golden dress and her hair and the spotlight. Everyone just WOW and whispered "beautiful". She skated the rest of the program with passion and strength, which again interpreted the song well.

Simply one of the most stunning performances yesterday, if not the most stunning.

Super cool, I want to watch it :yes:

Meoima

Match Penalty
I WANT TO SEE THAT!!! CRYING!!! :cry: Anna Pogo is the most stunning girl in FS at the moment! I want more of her! Please Skating God please streat her well!

Anyways, after rewatching all the programs, I agree with Blade of Passion that Satoko's LP is very well-choreographed, even better than Radionova. But Radionova is a genius performer. But anyways, good luck to Satoko, she is just 16!! She can make it!

slider11

Medalist
Nasty typhoon heading for Tokyo and Saitama is just north. Hope the competitors got out in time!

silverfoxes

Record Breaker

Oh...:cry: I want to see! I love the song.

I was lukewarm on Javi's "Black Betty" this summer, but I thought the JO performance was much improved and really fantastic. :yes: Tatsuki was a little rough around the edges, but I think his expression has improved a lot. I wish both he & Lambiel would cut their hair, lol (and I wish Plushy would grow his back!).

pandaatlarge

On the Ice
Nasty typhoon heading for Tokyo and Saitama is just north. Hope the competitors got out in time!

Yesterday was fine, it wasn't even raining when the show didn't start to rain until Sunday morning. Sunday was rainy, just a bit more windy than usual during the day, so it was still OK, Zhenya even went to Asakusa with Miyu Honda for TV shooting.

But I am not sure if their flights will be impacted tomorrow, I hope not.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Wow, quite a few tangos at COI. Between Patty, Taka and Odaddy, there was someone for everyones taste (I like Pattys Ex costume, it's tight and somewhat see-through) :biggrin: