2015 Four Continents Men's Free Skate Feb 13 Seoul Time | Page 50 | Golden Skate

2015 Four Continents Men's Free Skate Feb 13 Seoul Time

andromache

Record Breaker
I'm hoping he does something upbeat and dance-y for at least the short. Otherwise he is running the risk of being the Alan Alda of skating. YMMV of course. And I say that with :love:

I don't quite get the Alan Alda reference, but I don't think he needs to do something upbeat and dancey for next season. There are plenty of different music choices that will suit his more introverted, artistic style of skating without seeming repetitive. But of course I say that as someone who prefers the more "emotional" programs to the dancey ones, when the skater is talented enough to pull them off. But my biggest hope for his future music choices is that he stays away from POTO, Carmen, Les Mis, Romeo and Juliet etc.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm hoping he does something upbeat and dance-y for at least the short. Otherwise he is running the risk of being the Alan Alda of skating. YMMV of course. And I say that with :love:

This is hilarious!:laugh2:

I know what you mean. Dance-y is good, so long as it's not some razzle-dazzle Jason-type thing. I think his skating style is serious and emotional, and he needs to find new types of music that highlight that quality. IMO, or course.

I know! Phantom of the Opera!

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I don't quite get the Alan Alda reference, but I don't think he needs to do something upbeat and dancey for next season. There are plenty of different music choices that will suit his more introverted, artistic style of skating without seeming repetitive. But of course I say that as someone who prefers the more "emotional" programs to the dancey ones, when the skater is talented enough to pull them off. But my biggest hope for his future music choices is that he stays away from POTO, Carmen, Les Mis, Romeo and Juliet etc.

Alan Alda starred in MASH, one of the biggest US television hits of the 1970s. He was seen as the epitome of the Sensitive New Age Guy. Later, he started playing villain roles (he's absolutely genius in Woody Allen's Crimes and Misdemeanors, where he plays a narcissistic pain-in-the-butt tv star).

Yes Tonto. I don't mean he should turn into Jason, but something upbeat and dancey without a trace of angst would be A Most Welcome Change Of Pace. LOL!

If he skates to POTO I am hunting you down and slapping you with the OBC album. ;)

yyyskate

Record Breaker
BTW, about Joshua's SL, just wear your ear plugs and watch it, it is astonishing how musical this choreo/performance is. very very difficult/intricate/thoughtful/detailed chore.

balletanddancefan

On the Ice
@balletandDanceFan you has some point, in figure skating, the upper body tends to be very squared, for stability, perhaps that's the impression you has for Denis' skating. compare to Jason(who is more relaxed), it is true. but helped Denis to do really fast and tight rotation quad. I think Denis' form is quite classic balletic.
in this LP, I see lots of whole body skating, especially in step sequence and choreo. Denis perhaps can interpret certain gesture clearer with better extension (so that it will fell more like western lyrical modern dance style),
but I also, wondering, is that the feel he wanted for this program. this is an oriental fusion program. there is a word in Chinese classical dance and martial art called "寸劲" which means, at the very final split second of a movement contract your muscle to cause a short and explosive force. but the gesture itself maybe small and not visually masculine/massive.
as you see in this program, Denis is soft mostly but punctuated with sharp finish of moves. not much exaggeration but effective.
Hard for me to explain this clear, kinda a fundamental to Oriental movement.
Thanks! Are very interesting frases! :)

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Going back to boys, though I love Julia, but other than the good men, there were some other skaters who caught my eye. The one who troubled me most was Brendan Kerry. He does very good quadruples and nice 3A, but does not seem capable to gather all the eggs in a basket. Popped jumps, butchered landings, he looks he is only able to do the big, multi-rotation jumps. Is he really training well enough...or his mind is playing tricks?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Going back to boys, though I love Julia, but other than the good men, there were some other skaters who caught my eye. The one who troubled me most was Brendan Kerry. He does very good quadruples and nice 3A, but does not seem capable to gather all the eggs in a basket. Popped jumps, butchered landings, he looks he is only able to do the big, multi-rotation jumps. Is he really training well enough...or his mind is playing tricks?

Just a mind trick, I think. I've seen him go clean or close to clean before. He's fantastic. The fall in the SP was really a freak accident, alas his issues in the LP aren't altogether unknown of, but he doesn't usually mess it up that bad.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
OK, I just got done watching and I am ECSTATIC!!!

Josh delivering in such a beautiful way!!!! Karne, you must be over the moon!

Denis Ten with an astoundingly great performance.

All the top 6 skating very very well indeed.

What a spectacular men's event!

I hope the World Medalists are Denis, Josh, and Hanyu. They are the 3 best skaters in the world right now in my opinion. I love Javi but he does not have their skating skills.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Does anyone have a link to video of the Medal Ceremony? I really want to see Josh on the podium. On the Ice Network stream he was so adorable backstage. Did any of you see that when they showed Denis's scores, they had an inset shot of Josh, who laughed and then made a bowing down motion with a smile on his face? He and Denis seemed to genuinely like each other and be pal-ing around backstage too.

TuTU9678

On the Ice
I've only been a figure skating fan for a year, and only discovered Josh since US nationals, but what a good find! Musically+quality in the elements, and I'm in! If only he can beef up the technical (add a quad in the SP, and work towards 2 quads in the LP), then he should be winning medals in all the major competitions.

andromache

Record Breaker
Does anyone have a link to video of the Medal Ceremony? I really want to see Josh on the podium. On the Ice Network stream he was so adorable backstage. Did any of you see that when they showed Denis's scores, they had an inset shot of Josh, who laughed and then made a bowing down motion with a smile on his face? He and Denis seemed to genuinely like each other and be pal-ing around backstage too.

I don't have a link handy, but I believe I saw earlier that IN has the medal ceremony up.

All of the backstage stuff was adorable...Jason, Josh, Han Yan, and Denis were all great, and seemed very supportive of each other. This strategy of keeping the current top three backstage together seemed to work much better than keeping only the leader out to be viewed like in Euros. That was just awkward.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
I don't have a link handy, but I believe I saw earlier that IN has the medal ceremony up.

All of the backstage stuff was adorable...Jason, Josh, Han Yan, and Denis were all great, and seemed very supportive of each other. This strategy of keeping the current top three backstage together seemed to work much better than keeping only the leader out to be viewed like in Euros. That was just awkward.

I totally agree- they were all so sweet with each other. Lovely to see. Partly it was the arrangement, but partly it was a genuinely nice bunch of people. I don't think it would have been so lovely had nasty, arrogant Kovtun been one of the contenders. :)

Bumdid

Record Breaker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iF2yDm5A9g

Courtesy of Sabinfire!

andromache

Record Breaker
The World Standings were updated today to include Four Continents results, as far as I can tell.

If I am not mistaken, Josh did not make the top twelve among the Worlds entries. :eek:hwell:

1 4702 Yuzuru HANYU
2 3860 Denis TEN
3 3839 Sergei VORONOV
4 3806 Javier FERNANDEZ
7 3499 Maxim KOVTUN
8 3472 Takahito MURA

9 3081 Michal BREZINA
11 2746 Jason BROWN
14 2617 Han YAN
17 2273 Adam RIPPON
18 2259 Peter LIEBERS
19 2236 Misha GE

then
22 2139 Takahiko KOZUKA
23 2113 Joshua FARRIS
24 2003 Nam NGUYEN ...

http://www.isuresults.com/ws/ws/wsmen.htm

Awwww really? That's such a shame after his great result here....Are groups at Worlds determined by overall world standing then? (Obviously I should know this but I don't.) If so, I'm curious as to how Mrs. P's math was so far off.

(Not that mathematical mistakes are a big deal. I think I'm simply hoping that Worlds groups are determined by the results of this season alone, and maybe that's how Mrs. P made those calculations? No idea. I know nothing. I was just excited for Josh to be in one of the last two groups.)

Interspectator

Record Breaker
About Shoma...I didn't notice it in the LP but I did in the SP. Me and my whole family watching on TV...we were like...-is that really? REALY? hmmm.
I think most male skaters wear 'dance belts' don't they? Just something extra to keep all parts in place. Maybe Shoma doesn't and someone needs to advise him about it.
A really funny bit of Trivia: Honda Takeshi said he always wore T-backs in competition :shocked: and hated sit-spins because it would 'cramp his style' so to speak.:hopelessness:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Awwww really? That's such a shame after his great result here....Are groups at Worlds determined by overall world standing then? (Obviously I should know this but I don't.) If so, I'm curious as to how Mrs. P's math was so far off.

(Not that mathematical mistakes are a big deal. I think I'm simply hoping that Worlds groups are determined by the results of this season alone, and maybe that's how Mrs. P made those calculations? No idea. I know nothing. I was just excited for Josh to be in one of the last two groups.)

In the Four Continents SP and SD threads, Mrs. P :bow: did an amazing job of explaining the draw procedure. And the procedure for all ISU Championships is the same, so it will be in effect for Worlds as well.
Here is the link to Mrs. P's post (#2) in the Four Continents Men's SP thread:

World Standings (not Season's World Rankings) are the relevant stats, per pages 86-87 of the ISU document linked in Mrs. P's post.

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
In the Four Continents SP and SD threads, Mrs. P :bow: did an amazing job of explaining the draw procedure. And the procedure for all ISU Championships is the same, so it will be in effect for Worlds as well.
Here is the link to Mrs. P's post (#2) in the Four Continents Men's SP thread:

World Standings (not Season's World Rankings) are the relevant stats, per pages 86-87 of the ISU document linked in Mrs. P's post.

Thank you so much! :biggrin: I love getting to learn more from everyone here.

Although it's a shame that Josh won't be in the last two groups to skate at Worlds. Hopefully thanks to his showing here though, he won't be held back too much on GOEs and PCS.

ntl

Rinkside
The World Standings were updated today to include Four Continents results, as far as I can tell.

If I am not mistaken, Josh did not make the top twelve among the Worlds entries. :eek:hwell:

1 4702 Yuzuru HANYU
2 3860 Denis TEN
3 3839 Sergei VORONOV
4 3806 Javier FERNANDEZ
7 3499 Maxim KOVTUN
8 3472 Takahito MURA

9 3081 Michal BREZINA
11 2746 Jason BROWN
14 2617 Han YAN
17 2273 Adam RIPPON
18 2259 Peter LIEBERS
19 2236 Misha GE

then
22 2139 Takahiko KOZUKA
23 2113 Joshua FARRIS
24 2003 Nam NGUYEN ...

http://www.isuresults.com/ws/ws/wsmen.htm

There's something really weird about the ISU standings. Josh's point as of yesterday was 1707, and he got 756 from 4CC, yet now he got only 2113?

Anyway, so I decided to do the calculation myself and apparently the only way to get 2113 is if they didn't add in his points from 2013 JW (350). What the hell? So I looked at a few other skaters and it looks like a LOT of the figures don't add up. The same thing happened to No. 74 Yi Wang, No. 55 Brendan Kerry, and many others, including top skaters. This miscalculation, however, doesn't seem to affect those who haven't received any points this season; case in point: No. 61 Chris Caluza, No. 43. Mkhail Kolyada, etc.

So what's going on here? Did someone at ISU mess up his Excel formula? Or is there a different way to calculate the standings that I didn't know about?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
There's something really weird about the ISU standings. Josh's point as of yesterday was 1707, and he got 756 from 4CC, yet now he got only 2113?

Anyway, so I decided to do the calculation myself and apparently the only way to get 2113 is if they didn't add in his points from 2013 JW (350). What the hell? So I looked at a few other skaters and it looks like a LOT of the figures don't add up. The same thing happened to No. 74 Yi Wang, No. 55 Brendan Kerry, and many others, including top skaters. This miscalculation, however, doesn't seem to affect those who haven't received any points this season; case in point: No. 61 Chris Caluza, No. 43. Mkhail Kolyada, etc.

So what's going on here? Did someone at ISU mess up his Excel formula? Or is there a different way to calculate the standings that I didn't know about?

Did you account for the 30 percent reduction for 2012-2013?