2015 Four Continents Men's Free Skate Feb 13 Seoul Time | Page 52 | Golden Skate

2015 Four Continents Men's Free Skate Feb 13 Seoul Time

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Why is Jason's final combo spin only a level 3 (I can't decipher the "2" in CCoSp2p3)?
I love that cross-catchfoot layback he does, and was hoping he held it for 5+ revolutions. But the spin seems very rushed for no apparent reason.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Why is Jason's final combo spin only a level 3 (I can't decipher the "2" in CCoSp2p3)?
I love that cross-catchfoot layback he does, and was hoping he held it for 5+ revolutions. But the spin seems very rushed for no apparent reason.

2p=2 positions. Usually it's three positions.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Spins are not my forte, but at a guess, I would say that he might have been short on the camel on the second foot. I counted two, but it was a near thing, and I'm not good at counting revs, so he might have been short. Less than two revolutions and the position doesn't count; so if that was so, then he has no camel position, and can only get 2p rather than 3p.

As to Josh's music next year: NO CARMEN OR POTO, you terrible people. :p

But hopefully Jeff Buttle again!

vadrouille

Rinkside
The only difference probably is that Jason would have beat him in the FS (though not overall).

That said, there are other factors besides height. He does do some nice transitions into it, like the spread eagle and that one cool move he does coming out. I might have been a smige too high, but nothing worth crying over.

I hope that others skaters will beat Shoma at the next competition, at Junior World. Next year in Senior GP Jason and Joshua will beat him too. I like Yuzuru, Fernandez, Denis Ten, Han Yan and all others skaters. Not only they are great skaters, they are also great sportsmen, they are friendly with each other.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I hope that others skaters will beat Shoma at the next competition, at Junior World. Next year in Senior GP Jason and Joshua will beat him too. I like Yuzuru, Fernandez, Denis Ten, Han Yan and all others skaters. Not only they are great skaters, they are also great sportsmen, they are friendly with each other.

Are you saying Shoma is not friendly and not a great sportsman? :think:

He seems like a cute and nice kid to me.

rite of spring

Rinkside
This isn't a reality show honey:popcorn:
And to be honest, not sure if lot of the friendliness they show on tv and social media are genuine. You really can't know what their thinking inside.
I personally think the inner bitches inside them is what makes them strong athletes:biggrin:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
And to be honest, not sure if lot of the friendliness they show on tv and social media are genuine. You really can't know what their thinking inside.
I personally think the inner bitches inside them is what makes them strong athletes:biggrin:

I totally get what you're saying, but being friendly and genuine and being a strong competitor/athlete are not mutually exclusive concepts.

peg

Medalist

That may be true in some cases, but very often the skaters do develop genuine friendships with their competitors. Not too many people can fully understand the life of an elite level athlete, so they actually share a fairly unique bond. Some of them definitely hang out together more socially when they are at competitions. You don't have to hate someone to compete against them.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
With regards to Shoma, he is a very shy guy. He may never be as outgoing or friendly on camera or even back stage as the American guys or Yuzu, Javi, Vornov etc.
That is just his nature. I don't think it shows bad sportsmanship or anything.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Are you saying Shoma is not friendly and not a great sportsman? :think:

He seems like a cute and nice kid to me.

I believe the poster is referring to an occasion (or was it more than once?) where Shoma refused to hug Yuzuru or shake his hand during a medal ceremony. Personally I didn't read anything into it, as I don't like to judge teenagers based on something so petty, but I'm curious now...is it only Yuzuru that he rejected like that?

peg

Medalist
With regards to Shoma, he is a very shy guy. He may never be as outgoing or friendly on camera or even back stage as the American guys or Yuzu, Javi, Vornov etc.
That is just his nature. I don't think it shows bad sportsmanship or anything.
He's also very young. It's quite possible that he'll come out of his shell a bit as he gets older and becomes more accustomed to the spotlight

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I believe the poster is referring to an occasion (or was it more than once?) where Shoma refused to hug Yuzuru or shake his hand during a medal ceremony. Personally I didn't read anything into it, as I don't like to judge teenagers based on something so petty, but I'm curious now...is it only Yuzuru that he rejected like that?
Shoma seems not to like to touch people. :biggrin:
Instead, he bows to everyone, many times. That is Japanese politeness.
Shaking hands and hugging is a western thing. Many figure skaters in Japan train abroad and they get used to things like hugging, touching people, being more western in mannerisms.
Shoma hasn't had the opportunity to do this yet, as far as I can tell. There is also, of course, personal inclination. Shoma forgetting to shake hands goes back to Yuzu's second Junior National championship win in 2009. He's tiny... I think shoma was about 12 or 11 at the time. He was a novice competing in his first Junior Nationals by special invitation. (these are given to the top finishers in each category. A Novice can compete in Junior Nationals, a top finishing Junior can compete in Senior Nationals etc.)
http://shoma-uno.tumblr.com/post/106088979175/kento-nakamura-yuzuru-hanyu-shoma-uno-japanese

Last edited: