2015 Four Continents Men's Free Skate Feb 13 Seoul Time | Page 51 | Golden Skate

2015 Four Continents Men's Free Skate Feb 13 Seoul Time

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
About Shoma...I didn't notice it in the LP but I did in the SP. Me and my whole family watching on TV...we were like...-is that really? REALY? hmmm.
I think most male skaters wear 'dance belts' don't they? Just something extra to keep all parts in place. Maybe Shoma doesn't and someone needs to advise him about it.
A really funny bit of Trivia: Honda Takeshi said he always wore T-backs in competition :shocked: and hated sit-spins because it would 'cramp his style' so to speak.:hopelessness:

I could not find quickly, but:

Michael Buckley did "backstage" interviews for Ice Network at US Nats. One of the questions asked of Jason Brown, was, and I use Buckley's words, what do male skaters do with their "junk"? I can't find the clip and I don't remember the answer. But being Jason, he did answer. :biggrin:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
There's something really weird about the ISU standings. Josh's point as of yesterday was 1707, and he got 756 from 4CC, yet now he got only 2113?

Anyway, so I decided to do the calculation myself and apparently the only way to get 2113 is if they didn't add in his points from 2013 JW (350). What the hell? So I looked at a few other skaters and it looks like a LOT of the figures don't add up. The same thing happened to No. 74 Yi Wang, No. 55 Brendan Kerry, and many others, including top skaters. This miscalculation, however, doesn't seem to affect those who haven't received any points this season; case in point: No. 61 Chris Caluza, No. 43. Mkhail Kolyada, etc.

So what's going on here? Did someone at ISU mess up his Excel formula? Or is there a different way to calculate the standings that I didn't know about?

Yikes :shocked: :eek: ... very interesting. :think:

I had not checked the ISU's arithmetic. Just copied and pasted the totals and standing order that were shown at their link. :confused2:

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Did you account for the 30 percent reduction for 2012-2013?

Now I'm confused whether the numbers entered in the ISU table already reflect the 70% weighting??? :confused2:

I just looked at Virtue/Moir's numbers.
The total shown on the ISU table is simply the sum of the standings points for them shown in the table -- as if the weighting for 2012-13 already has been calculated (and thus should not be done again).

V/M's total is 3990 standings points, which is the sum of the numbers below, copied from the ISU table.

2014/2015 season (100%) 0 0 0 0 0
2013/2014 season (100%) 1080 720 400 250 0
2012/2013 season (70%) 756 504 280 0 0

Last edited:

ntl

Rinkside
Did you account for the 30 percent reduction for 2012-2013?

Yup! The figures from 2012-13 in the table already take into account the 30% reduction, so I initially thought maybe there's an additional 30% reduction to those? Nope, still nothing adds up. If you look at the skaters who have 0 points from this season, all their past figures add up. Josh was one of those people until yesterday. To be fair, many top skaters are affected by this error, so I don't know that it would make a difference in Josh's final standing, but I would be interested to see what everyone's real standing looks like.

Last edited:

ntl

Rinkside
Now I'm confused whether the numbers entered in the ISU table already reflect the 70% weighting??? :confused2:

I just looked at Virtue/Moir's numbers.
The total shown on the ISU table is simply the sum of the standings points for them shown in the table -- as if the weighting for 2012-13 already has been calculated (and thus should not be done again).

V/M's total is 3990 standings points, which is the sum of the numbers below, copied from the ISU table.

2014/2015 season (100%) 0 0 0 0 0
2013/2014 season (100%) 1080 720 400 250 0
2012/2013 season (70%) 756 504 280 0 0

Yeah, the numbers add up because V/M have 0 points from this season. Now, if you look at Weaver/Poje for example, most of their 2012-13 points don't seem to be counted except for the senior B points, I think.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Yeah, the numbers add up because V/M have 0 points from this season. Now, if you look at Weaver/Poje for example, most of their 2012-13 points don't seem to be counted except for the senior B points, I think.

Yes, I'm following your posts -- meaning that I understand that the discrepancy is arising only for skaters actively earning standings points this season.

That is why I purposely chose the V/M example to verify for myself (and to respond to Mrs. P) that the ISU numbers already have been adjusted for the 70% weighting.

Anyway ... good catch. As you say, something weird is going on with the totals for the standings points.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
About the World Rankings: The TOP TWO values in the ISU/Olympic Championship table count towards the total.

If a skater had only one or no previous score in that table, then this year's entire score will be added to his total. Daisuke Murakami got 612 points added to his previous total because this was his first ISU Championship score.

But if the skater had two previous scores in the table and the current score is higher than one of them, the lower score has to be subtracted from the current score to derive the added points.

If the current score is lower than both of the existing scores, no points are added.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
About the World Rankings: The TOP TWO values in the ISU/Olympic Championship table count towards the total.

If a skater had only one or no previous score in that table, then this year's entire score will be added to his total. Daisuke Murakami got 612 points added to his previous total because this was his first ISU Championship score.

But if the skater had two previous scores in the table and the current score is higher than one of them, the lower score has to be subtracted from the current score to derive the added points.

If the current score is lower than both of the existing scores, no points are added.

Ohhhhh. Appreciate the enlightenment, chuckm. :bow:

And thx to you, I see now that similar (but not identical) complexities apply also to standings points from GPs, JGPs, and other internationals.

Michael Buckley did "backstage" interviews for Ice Network at US Nats. One of the questions asked of Jason Brown, was, and I use Buckley's words, what do male skaters do with their "junk"? I can't find the clip and I don't remember the answer. But being Jason, he did answer. :biggrin:

The answer (from Jason) is that different skaters do different things.

Thanks for mentioning the vid, el henry. I hadn't gotten around to watching it before, but your post was a good excuse to go back and look it up. ;) :laugh:

(BTW, in case it helps if/when you're looking for a Buckley interview again, his are known on IN as "Social Scene" videos -- not to be confused with the Athlete Lounge interviews, which also are conducted backstage at Nats, but by others.)

Last edited:

andy08

Rinkside
Just saw the LP from Joshua Farris. WOW! I thought, no why to take "Schindler's List" but he did a great program with the music and editing it in an original way. He's good, really good. Is he going to World Champ ? Let's hope so...

peg

Medalist
Just saw the LP from Joshua Farris. WOW! I thought, no why to take "Schindler's List" but he did a great program with the music and editing it in an original way. He's good, really good. Is he going to World Champ ? Let's hope so...

Yes, he will be at Worlds.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

The growth of this program has been marvellous. It truly was a program that needed two seasons to come to its full potential...but he's never done it clean yet, though he gets closer and closer each time...

balletanddancefan

On the Ice

Shoma UNO's sp was so nice that I do not come to mind is to look at the pants ... in general ... if a dancer / or skater plays well I did not realize the outfit-mistakes ...
But ... I tought that even for the skaters were required to bring the dance-belt as the dancers. First of all for health reasons (big jumps par example)

andromache

Record Breaker
The growth of this program has been marvellous. It truly was a program that needed two seasons to come to its full potential...but he's never done it clean yet, though he gets closer and closer each time...

I know we'll see it clean at Worlds before he retires it! :biggrin:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Let's stick to chatting about the Men's FS from 4CC. You're always welcome to start a thread if the discussion goes elsewhere.

lighthouse

Rinkside
I was looking at the protocols, and it looks like Adam Rippon's FS score was added wrong. He has TES 70.01 and PCS 75.92, which should equal 145.93, but the protocol shows 143.93. Did anyone notice this (sorry if I missed previous discussion of this, I didn't read through the whole thread).

Wo|flax

Final Flight
I was looking at the protocols, and it looks like Adam Rippon's FS score was added wrong. He has TES 70.01 and PCS 75.92, which should equal 145.93, but the protocol shows 143.93. Did anyone notice this (sorry if I missed previous discussion of this, I didn't read through the whole thread).

He had two deductions, one for fall one for late start. this comes off the TSS and not the TES(since they aren't linked to elements). If you look at Uno's scores you'll see a similar thing:)

Last edited: