2015 Japan Open | Page 45 | Golden Skate

2015 Japan Open

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Please do not bicker. Especially, please do not bicker about things like social decorum which differ between cultures.

Or bicker about slicing and dicing meanings on one of the poorest Google translations I have ever read.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Thread is now open.

Cheers to Mao, a great skater and World champion !!Welcome back!

Cheers to Liza, a great skater and World champion!

Mishin is the world's best jump coach, who literally wrote the book on jump mechanics! Cheers to Professor Mishin!!!

This thread is open again after 33 some bickering, ranting posts were unapproved

Consider yourselves all warned.

The next bickering, ranting post on this thread gets an infraction.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
What about the Guys?
Obviously, the ladies were soo exciting to watch with the 3A and the new programs etc.
But what does everyone think about how what happened here will affect the outlook of the Men this season?

Skate America is just around the corner and Shoma seems to be in the best shape so far. --Can he win it?
If he does, he'll be keeping the gold out of US hands for a 4th straight year. :p

Skate Canada is also coming up quickly, I think 1 month of hard training is enough for Patrick to work on his jumps and clean his SP and LP glitches.

How will Murakami Daisuke do this year? Will he get on the podium again? I have to say, I like his programs and his costume for both programs, but he is still looking suuuper sloooow and you can see the effect it has on his PCS.

I super enjoyed Fernandez's LP. Yes, I know it is similar to his last few years worth of LP's but those were enjoyable too.
He's engaging and I really liked some of the transitions he put before his jumps. There were really good. Javi has more time to train with his first outing being COC, so if he is doing this well so early, I think he'll be good to go and make his way to the GPF by COC.

Of all the Men's Long programs you saw at Japan Open, which did you-all like the most?

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
What about the Guys?
Obviously, the ladies were soo exciting to watch with the 3A and the new programs etc.
But what does everyone think about how what happened here will affect the outlook of the Men this season?

Skate America is just around the corner and Shoma seems to be in the best shape so far. --Can he win it?
If he does, he'll be keeping the gold out of US hands for a 4th straight year. :p

Skate Canada is also coming up quickly, I think 1 month of hard training is enough for Patrick to work on his jumps and clean his SP and LP glitches.

How will Murakami Daisuke do this year? Will he get on the podium again? I have to say, I like his programs and his costume for both programs, but he is still looking suuuper sloooow and you can see the effect it has on his PCS.

I super enjoyed Fernandez's LP. Yes, I know it is similar to his last few years worth of LP's but those were enjoyable too.
He's engaging and I really liked some of the transitions he put before his jumps. There were really good. Javi has more time to train with his first outing being COC, so if he is doing this well so early, I think he'll be good to go and make his way to the GPF by COC.

Of all the Men's Long programs you saw at Japan Open, which did you-all like the most?

Well, as always, it's hard to predict the men's field since they can be so hot and cold from one competition to the next. I mean, Shoma was a completely different skater from what we saw at US Classic.

I was a little doubtful about whether Shoma could win SA or not, but if he skates like he did at JO or similar, I think he's got it. I know Jason is working on his quad, but this kid's already got two. Unless Denis pulls out some great skates (which he normally doesn't do so early in the season. Besides, I think he withdrew from Autumn Classic due to injury? I don't know how that will work out), I think Shoma has every chance to win and have the 4th straight gold for Japan at SA (if he finishes on the podium at TEB he could make it to the GPF!)

I think Patrick will fix his mistakes in time for SC, at least in the quads since they're his specialty. The rest of the jumps, I'm not so sure, but being on home ice may give him the emotional boost he needs to skate to the best of his abilities. I still think it will be a silver for him at worst.

Murakami, well he's got two tough GP events this season. I think many guys would have to blow it for him to be on the podium, but if he skates clean, who knows? I think it's a long shot, though.

Javier's FS is his same old style he's been using for a while, but somehow I still enjoy it (I like it much more than Barber of Seville). And considering that he hasn't been training that much, I think he looks in pretty good shape. And as you said, he's got time to train before COC, and both of his assignments are actually relatively easy for him. Unless Boyang comes out with his dozens of quads.

It's hard to pick a favorite, I usually save that opinion until the end of the season where I can compare each skater's best performances. But I think they all look promising :)

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
What about the Guys?

Yes, I can see him getting on a podium. Low expectations, but all the goods to get there. That's the magic combination in my book. Good music. High level coaching. At least two quad jumps. And growth since last season. I think the free needs more choreography, but he's with Frank so there's no reason he can't get it. The fields for SC and TEB are ridiculous, but sometimes not being a favorite is a tremendous advantage. How many GP podiums in the men's event were predictable last season? Certainly none of the ones we've had for the senior men thus far this season.

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
Meejung has uploaded the interviews for Ashley, Gracie, Liza, & Mao. Also, here is the main fluff piece in case anyone missed it. If anyone could translate the Russian or Japanese to English, that would be fabulous :)

Sorry if this has been posted. I searched for 'interview' in the thread & no result came up.

Liza said that in reality she is happy that she could recover after fall on triple axel, that she could perform worthy after that, she feels a bit ashamed about her clumsy fall on spin,but overall she is happy for her performance and result. As it was seen she already put triple axel in competition, they will work out it to get stable and layout will be like this for now. After axel gets more stable, the configuration of jumps may be changed. Her goal is the same, to show successful skating, to get a pleasure from her programs and skating for herself, judges and audience as well. Of course not drop down from the level she has already .

Last edited:

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Liza said that in reality she is happy that she could recover after fall on triple axel, that she could perform worthy after that, she feels a bit ashamed about her clumsy fall on spin,but overall she is happy for her performance and result. As it was seen she already put triple axel in competition, they will work out it to get stable and layout will be like this for now. After axel gets more stable, the configuration of jumps may be changed. Her goal is the same, to show successful skating, to get a pleasure from her programs and skating for herself, judges and audience as well. Of course not drop down from the level she has already .

Wow, you are very fast! Thanks :biggrin:

Jewels

On the Ice
I think Mao's LP this season could be my all time favorite of hers. She had the elegance I hadn't noticed before. I guess I prefer calmer performances from her. Surprisingly better jumps than the past seasons too I say. Good for her:)

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Anyone speak Japanese who can translate what Mao said? I always crack up at how excited Oda is all the time - he's such a fanboy, lol.

Glad that Ashley says she needs to add back in her transitions and polish up the program. WRT Gracie, saying she needs to work on her jump combos really isn't the issue, it's more mental. I hope she addresses her nerves b/c if she skates like she does in practice she can definitely compete w/Mao and Liza.

Eclair

Medalist
http://youtu.be/1n82adNgiaM

Here is a video of interviews done by some of the ladies after the FS! Anyone want to help translate the non-English ones? :)

Thanks a lot! Fully agree with Ashley about the transitions and I'm glad she saw it as a successful stepping stone, because that's what it was ;) though I wish she had something new to offer..

Gracie ... uhm, too much makeup? Apart from that - agree with her, that she's lost the technical edge, but not just at japan open, but last season too ... it was the pcs that kept her up at 4cc and worlds...

Liza .. don't understand what she says, but she has a nice voice :D

Mao .. such a joyful person! still don't unterstand what she says, but she looks ready, calm and like she's enjoying the event.

bluelutz

On the Ice
Mao: Before JO, so many reporters/journalists kept asking me how I felt about my comeback.
Nobu: You didn't like it, did you? Sorry for that.
Mao: I understood it was because of my absence from the competition for one year.
However, since I tried so hard to think like this was exactly the same thing I had been doing for a long time.
it frustrated me a bit.
Nobu: So you felt a little agitated by the media attention as your comeback, haha.
Mao: giggling
Nobu: Right after you landed 3A, you seemed to be very excited,
but soon you went back to the serious state.
Mao: I had to keep going, do the next thing.
Nobu: That 3A was a beauty!
Mao: I feel a little sad because all the older skaters, of the team Japan, have retired,
who did this competitions together, and this time I am the oldest.
Nobu: How was it as the leader of Japanese team?
Mao: Mmmmm, (not sure I was) the leader? Just the oldest.
Nobu: So how was it as the oldest?
Mao: It was nice as I did not let other members down, haha.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Thank you, bluelutz! Another translation done so quickly. I really appreciate it :)