2015 Worlds Ladies Short Program March 26 | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2015 Worlds Ladies Short Program March 26

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
lol am I the only one who likes Shin Amano? He's strict, okay but he at least he's strict to everyone. He rewards clean, rotated jumps and edges like no other.
No federation favouritsm for flutzes or lips under his judgements :) It gives skaters from smaller skating federations with good technique like zijun li, soyoun park, mae berenice a better shot at the top.
Go shin amano! :cheer:

I like that aspect of him too. What I don't like is his whims will determine if a flutz or lip gets 70% and -GOE or just -GOE, and that bodes badly for skaters with poor edges. I'm almost certain Wagner will not get a clean 3Z called now (! If she's lucky)... Though I wonder how harsh he will be on Miyahara/Murakami's URs and Hongo's flutz which has consistently been "e". He seems the type to take no prisoners. :slink:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I never thought I'd see the day when a program with 7 triples, a 3A, and the more difficult 3-3 would be seen as inferior to a program with 6 triples and a fall, between two comparable artistic skaters. I won't pretend to understand this, but I don't think there's anything to add here.

And yet many assert that it was right for Nam's clean Skate America SP & FS (with a quad) to have not beaten Brown who fell in both programs and had no quad.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So we will see calls as tough as those from JW, if not tougher. That almost guarantees a Liza Tuk win, since she doesn't lip or flutz and doesn't UR either (unless she tries 3a).

Gracie lips, but does just one flip; she rarely URs. If she stays on her feet and doesn't double her jumps, she is in good shape. Ashley could be in trouble. Every double-footed jump could be URd, and if she goes for 3z+3t, she could get a double whammy. Polina could get URd and lipped, as could Hongo. Miyahara and Murakami could be looking at multiple URs.

sbaker

On the Ice
Oh my, Eliza goes first in the final group with Ashley going last, eek

I think it's ok. As long as they keep their nerves in check... Liza can establish some tough to beat dominance, and Ashley can follow Radionova's kooky hectic SP with a refined, mature skate.

astronaut

Rinkside
Oh my, Eliza goes first in the final group with Ashley going last, eek

Talk about a tough act to follow. Ashley will follow Elena Radionova, my pick to win the gold. That last two groups is loaded to the max.
It's been awhile since I've been this excited over Worlds.

NaVi

Medalist
I think it's ok. As long as they keep their nerves in check... Liza can establish some tough to beat dominance, and Ashley can follow Radionova's kooky hectic SP with a refined, mature skate.

Radionova's kooky hectic SP(I've called it kitchy at one point but still love it) is at least memorable unlike Ashley's.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Radionova's kooky hectic SP(I've called it kitchy at one point but still love it) is at least memorable unlike Ashley's.

Clearly a major case of YMMV. :)

This should be a great competition! And again, another favorable time for us U.S. West Coasties!

R.D.

Record Breaker
Not easy positions for either of them...Gold has handled it OK in the past, but probably a little more worried about Wagner (given that this is the SP and not the FS)

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I was saying a prayer all season that Elena would change back to last years SP (Two Steps From Hell) because it was one of the most enjoyable programs for me. I'm not going to say this seasons SP isn't memorable but I will certainly say its very mutable. With her and all the POTO's....I've watched a lot of skating with the volume all the way down. I'm not rooting against Elena Mind you I just haven't found the right music to play when she skates. :)

LRK

Record Breaker
I was saying a prayer all season that Elena would change back to last years SP (Two Steps From Hell) because it was one of the most enjoyable programs for me. I'm not going to say this seasons SP isn't memorable but I will certainly say its very mutable. With her and all the POTO's....I've watched a lot of skating with the volume all the way down. I'm not rooting against Elena Mind you I just haven't found the right music to play when she skates. :)

That was one of my favourite programs from last season.:)

I don't mind her SP music, though - I certainly haven't felt the need/wish to mute. (Not anywhere in the same sentence as POTO, which I detest - especially Music of the Night - ugh!) Anyway, she sells the heck out of that program. It's like her FP from last year - except I like this SP better - which I didn't particularly like... but I couldn't help but like her.:)

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I actually like her hectic, kooky program. She seems to connect to the JLo stuff and shows her joy so why not?

Anna's "Adaggio" bugs me more - the vocals are too overpowering for her.

Icey

Record Breaker
I would like to see the method of determining the skate order changed. The current method seems to create some bias in scoring even before anyone has skated. There is no substantial reason imo that, say an Ashley Wagner, shouldn't skate in the first group.

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
I would like to see the method of determining the skate order changed. The current method seems to create some bias in scoring even before anyone has skated. There is no substantial reason imo that, say an Ashley Wagner, shouldn't skate in the first group.

Why do you say that? She's among the top ladies in results this season, especially with a bronze at the GPF. How would you propose it be changed? Or is it just bias against Ashley that makes you say that?

The overwhelming problem is that skate order determines results to begin with. Perhaps the skate order should be entirely drawn at random to help eliminate this problem and the bias in scoring. But that wouldn't work with a lot of live television coverage, which usually covers the last two groups because they are the most likely to be in medal contention, and what most people have interest in watching.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Dang it. I won't be able to watch the ladies I'm interested in watching. Darn that I have to wake up at 5:45 on Tuesdays and Thursdays this semester. Cause I try to get at least 6 hours of sleep a night. So beddy-bye for me at 11:45 pm tonight. Going to be so hard.... :(