2015 Worlds Men Short Program March 27 | Page 75 | Golden Skate

2015 Worlds Men Short Program March 27

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I admire Voronov for his longtime consistency, but I have to admit I find him unexciting as a skater. He always gets the job done, but none of his performances are memorable. OTOH, I always feel a surge of pleasure when he places ahead of his countryman Kovtun. :laugh:

:agree:

He seems very likable, but that SP is so empty it echoes.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Nervous about Canada keeping 2 spots still. I'm sure Nam will be fine tomorrow, but idk about Jeremy. ...

Don't want to jinx anyone, but if I were you, I would not be overly nervous.

As long as one Canadian man places 12th or above, Canada will earn two men's spots for next year.
12 + 16 = 28.
Or one could place 13th and the other 15th, for example.

Last edited:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I watched the CBC television broadcast this afternoon, but haven't had a chance to visit this thread until now. What happened to Liebers?! I'm also surprised to see Kozuka and Mura basically buried in the standings.

sajoya

On the Ice
Kovtun's meltdown is the stupidest thing I have ever seen, AT THIS LEVEL of competition. I mean by now any elite level skater should know that singling and doubling is a suicide. Even with the falls on 4T and 3A, he would have ended up in top 5. What a waste of that monstrous 4-3. :shrug:

Just give the guy a break already.

kresslia

Medalist
Don't want to jinx anyone, but if I were you, I would not be overly nervous.

As long as one Canadian man places 12th or above, Canada will earn two men's spots for next year.
12 + 16 = 28.
Or one could place 13th and the other 15th, for example.
I always forget about this, remembered it right after I posted, lol. Hopefully Nam can keep up the consistency tomorrow.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just give the guy a break already.

THANK YOU! I'm mad on how Kovtun gets all this hate! Gosh! He's not a murderer or a disgusting criminal! He's a 19 year-old skater from Russia. NINETEEN!!!! STILL IN HIS TEENS! Sheesh! I'm one of those who defends him cause I actually like his skating. Okay maybe there were things that he said on social media that might have sounded offensive, well big deal. I see that a lot when I read YouTube comments cause I go on YouTube all the time. Plus tweets on Twitter. And also sometimes some words that are considered taboo in some countries aren't considered taboos in other other countries.

And furthermore, skating, like a lot of sports are MENTAL sports. Sure we know we can do it cause we done it a lot of time, but sometimes if we're not in the right mindset, things can go wrong. Like one time at cheer practice, I was not on focus cause I was worrying about something that I saw on Instagram and Twitter earlier that day. So I wasn't able to do my round-off double back handsprings. I either singled them, or I did this WEIRD fall attempting the 2nd one.

And I know as a cheerleader when I feel like I'm not going to be able to do the 2nd back handspring in a round-off double back handspring, I stop after the first. I find this similar to popping a jump.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Good morning!

Looking forward to the LP tonight. I feel confident that Josh and Brendan can do this!

Still feeling a bit #brendanwuzrobbed though :p

beki

Medalist
I understand there are cultural differences but I can never be a fan of Kovtun because of his hate speech. I take it personally. Not saying other people need to agree with my perspective. I don't like his skating either. However, his mental errors are the obstacle, my opinions are irrelevant to that.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I understand there are cultural differences but I can never be a fan of Kovtun because of his hate speech. I take it personally. Not saying other people need to agree with my perspective. I don't like his skating either. However, his mental errors are the obstacle, my opinions are irrelevant to that.

What "hate speech" specifically? Nobody has ever come up with any proof of this. If it's just the phrase I'm thinking of...I have seen probably a dozen other skaters use the same phrase, but not in an intentionally hateful way, and I'm positive they don't understand the cultural implications it has in the US.

Majorov said terrible things on FB a few years ago, but he apologized and presumably he has grown up since then. Should we dig this up every time he competes? What about Gracie's Tweets?

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
And I didn't say it was the same mistake, I said they were similar - and for me they were. Both had problems with their 4Ts, and should get -GOE. If Voronov managed to take on the 3T has little to do with that for me. I agree with your scores, Voronov getting -1 and Han getting -3... but just look at Han doing a 3Lz to Voronovs 3Lp and how Han's 3A deserves at least a point more on GOE, and the difference is moot. It was really the PCS that kept Voronov above Han, who is a lot better in SS and at least still comparable in all the other PCS aspects. And this event is in China, that's why I don't get it at all.
Groups. Had they skated in the same group, Han Yan would probably have higher PCS. And while Han Yan has great skating skills and I like him a lot, he also has areas to work on: he's a little stiff in the upper body, and that music choice did him no favours, imo.

Sergei's axel is quite nice, actually. I don't mind the long glide because there is a payoff at the end. It's not as good as Han Yan's, but I'd still give +2 (+3 to Han Yan, obviously). But good point about the 3Lz. I don't know why Sergei doesn't do lutz in the SP... he's done them in the LP. :shrug:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't know much about things Kovtun has said, but considering he's 19, take it from whence it has come. What I don't like is Kovtun's skating: the hunched shoulders, the heavy jumping style with little runout, the ugly spins, the flailing arms. Every single program, short or free, looks exactly the same, regardless of the music chosen because Kovtun has zero musical sense. When the jumps work, it is all jump, jump, jump. When they don't, it's pretty much the same with pops instead of jumps.

I look forward to watching Denis Ten, Yuzuru Hanyu and Javier Fernandez because they make the most of the music they have selected so that their programs are so much more than just jumps and spins.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
THANK YOU! I'm mad on how Kovtun gets all this hate! Gosh! He's not a murderer or a disgusting criminal! He's a 19 year-old skater from Russia. NINETEEN!!!! STILL IN HIS TEENS! Sheesh! I'm one of those who defends him cause I actually like his skating. Okay maybe there were things that he said on social media that might have sounded offensive, well big deal. I see that a lot when I read YouTube comments cause I go on YouTube all the time. Plus tweets on Twitter. And also sometimes some words that are considered taboo in some countries aren't considered taboos in other other countries.

And furthermore, skating, like a lot of sports are MENTAL sports. Sure we know we can do it cause we done it a lot of time, but sometimes if we're not in the right mindset, things can go wrong. Like one time at cheer practice, I was not on focus cause I was worrying about something that I saw on Instagram and Twitter earlier that day. So I wasn't able to do my round-off double back handsprings. I either singled them, or I did this WEIRD fall attempting the 2nd one.

And I know as a cheerleader when I feel like I'm not going to be able to do the 2nd back handspring in a round-off double back handspring, I stop after the first. I find this similar to popping a jump.

Not a Kovtun hater (ok well maybe some of his skating) but I don't agree with you on that point, this is an international sport, we should be respectful of all countries and people so even if something is considered offensive in one country and is in another, it is not an excuse. Like I'm being really general here, not attacking Kovtun because I don't care about what he's said but you saying "well big deal" is kind of rude don't you think? That kind of attitude is really dismissive to people's feelings, whether or not someone is justified in being offended by something, you shouldn't dismiss their feelings like that. If they are justified, sympathize with them, if they aren't maybe try to explain your side or just leave them alone. Don't give people that kind of attitude.

Alba

Record Breaker
He was also skating with a knee injury which is why he was a bit slow and stiff. If people want to complain about his PCS, they can do it until the cows come home. I would never say Sergei has benefitted from being overscored - quite the opposite, when I look at the mistakes others get away with. He fights tooth and nail for his position and has done so all season long.

I fully agree with you there. :thumbsup:
I didn't see him stiff tbh. A part from mistakes on the jump I think he gave his best and you could see.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I fully agree with you there. :thumbsup:
I didn't see him stiff tbh. A part from mistakes on the jump I think he gave his best and you could see.

Agree. Silver Fox Sergei was pretty impressive and very underscored yesterday.