2015 Worlds Men Short Program March 27 | Page 74 | Golden Skate

2015 Worlds Men Short Program March 27

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
As long as Han Yan stays in the top 10, China will keep two spots. All competitors who don't make the free skate get 18 points. All those who do get at least 16 points (if they don't finish higher than that).
Thanks. Han Yan can do it! :cheer2: Though I must say, I really hope he ditches that short next year (and for all time). Seeing "If I were a rich man" and Jason's "Juke" back-to-back wasn't exactly pleasant, no matter how much I like the two skaters and how well they skated.

I'm really sorry for Josh, but he still performed beautifully and there's still the LP. I'm sure he can pull up to the top 10, which isn't top 5 like he wanted to get, but still good considering this is his first WC. Just hoping he isn't too harsh on himself, but maybe it will help him in the LP. And he was so cute in the KnC :laugh:
Ah, Josh... :cry: I guess I blocked out, and after Kozuka and Mura's worse meltdowns, it didn't seem so bad after all. He can pull himself up with a strong LP.

And while I usually like him, I don't manage to see at all how Voronov got 40+ PCS. He had a turn-out on his 4T - which is quite a similar mistake to Han Yan's step out on the 4T. But given the overall skating quality, I would have had Han over Voronov.
Voronov's mistake was hardly the same as Han Yan's. He kept that second foot off the ice, and still managed to tag -3T back on. I'd give it -1 (and Han Yan's 4T -3). However, I agree it's silly for Voronov to get higher PCS.

It's actually hard on paper to put JAvier ahead of Hanyu. Would you give Hanyu lower PCS than that ? I wouldn't. Would you give Javier higher PCS ? Maybe I would, but definitely not on SS. Going to jumps. Hanyu step out from quad, but then he had 2 jump passes in 2nd half compared to Javi one, almost equal combo, and Hanyu better 3A. Better spins and steps for Hanyu, so he made up points from quad mistake over Javier on other elements really, so even if you would give Javier higher PCS he still would ended behind. I guess Hanyu PCS would go up 1-2 points from that had he landed this quad, so he would go over 100 with this performance I guess
I would give the P/E mark to Javi this time, since he went clean and the performance was electrifying. CH to him as well (I would've given it to Yuzuru if he hadn't semi-fallen and disrupted the CH). TR and INT about the same. SS to Yuzuru, obviously.

On the TES side, Yuzuru's 4T should've received straight -3s. It was functionally a fall, albeit not as disruptive as Denis'. Javi's 3A was a little small and didn't have the best of landings, but there was nothing majorly wrong with it; I'd give it +1 instead of the 0s he received.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Why? He always looks like he doesn't want to be there - who needs that?? Compare with Ge, Voronov, Fernandez and several others!

Well, it could be that that is his face.

I can stand that you criticize an athlete based on his performance, the K&C shows only a part of how he is and how he feels, and certanly an attack on his face has nothing to do with sport.

I would love to see everybody´s faces after they fail, or you just smile like you are tha happiest person in the world. This skaters are human and not robots.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
yuzuru said, "so so good skate, almost back body condition, he can do clean free skate tomorrow":biggrin:
yuzuru is too cute

Alba

Record Breaker
Well, it could be that that is his face.

I can stand that you criticize an athlete based on his performance, the K&C shows only a part of how he is and how he feels, and certanly an attack on his face has nothing to do with sport.

I would love to see everybody´s faces after they fail, or you just smile like you are tha happiest person in the world. This skaters are human and not robots.

I so do agree with this.:thumbsup: I don't get why some are so obsessed with the faces of skaters on K&C or pictures.
I understand being interested because he/she is cute, funny etc. in a picture or a moment in video, but to analyse everything and judge why do they feel sad, why do they cry, why are they pissed, why are they serious, why aren't they smiling?:rolleye: Mah...maybe this is just towards skaters that they don't like. Idk.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
Just once I'd like to log on and see Adam in 3rd or 4th place. That damn 4z, if he had just done a Rippon 3z he would have been much better off.
The thing with the 4z is if he lands it and it fully rotated and clean, he earns huge points, but if he doesn't ......

sigh :frown:
He and Ashley are both in 11th after the sp.

Great skate by Jason. Too bad about Josh.
I think the one I really feel bad for is Peter Liebers. (sp)
Still catching up.

Last edited:

Alba

Record Breaker
Voronov's mistake was hardly the same as Han Yan's. He kept that second foot off the ice, and still managed to tag -3T back on. I'd give it -1 (and Han Yan's 4T -3). However, I agree it's silly for Voronov to get higher PCS.

Voronov though has improved th quality of his skating and spins. That's visible, IMO. He was full of energy today and performed very well. I would have a bigger difference with other skaters above him, but maybe they were underscored? I haven't see the protocols. I don't remember now how many points Voronov use to get before, but if he had like 38 I would give him 40 for what I saw today.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I so do agree with this.:thumbsup: I don't get why some are so obsessed with the faces of skaters on K&C or pictures.
I understand being interested because he/she is cute, funny etc. in a picture or a moment in video, but to analyse everything and judge why do they feel sad, why do they cry, why are they pissed, why are they serious, why aren't they smiling?:rolleye: Mah...maybe this is just towards skaters that they don't like. Idk.

Like I know that some people react to grief with no visible emotion because they're too shocked to react.

Also my face looks extremely weird when it's in a neutral expression. And also when I'm relaxing to music, I'm sometimes ZONED OUT thinking about choreography for skating that I created in my head. Plus my facial expressions can look WEIRD.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The judges deserve a swift kick for giving Kovtun the same PCS they would have given him for a clean SP. How the **** could he earn 8.25 7.79 7.86 8.11 8.14 for a program with two zero jumping passes? There's nothing particularly remarkable about his spins and footwork, and no interesting linking steps, certainly nothing remotely comparable to Ten, Hanyu or Fernandez. He is not even remotely musical. So why is he getting 8s in CH and IN?

Last edited:

kresslia

Medalist
Kovtun's PCS - lol

Nervous about Canada keeping 2 spots still. I'm sure Nam will be fine tomorrow, but idk about Jeremy. It's so important we keep those two spots so we can send Nam with PChiddy next year (barring a collapse from Nam next year). He needs the experience.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Voronov though has improved th quality of his skating and spins. That's visible, IMO. He was full of energy today and performed very well. I would have a bigger difference with other skaters above him, but maybe they were underscored? I haven't see the protocols. I don't remember now how many points Voronov use to get before, but if he had like 38 I would give him 40 for what I saw today.
Javi was underscored, imo. I'd say Denis was overscored, considering he crashed out on that quad and stepped out of the combo. Even his 3A didn't look as good as usual.

I thought I'd see Sergei with higher TES and Han Yan with higher PCS, considering their respective skates... a bit surprised to see the opposite. Anyway, they both skated well (though neither was perfect), and some 0.30 points isn't worth quibbling over. It'll all come down to the free.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker

And I didn't say it was the same mistake, I said they were similar - and for me they were. Both had problems with their 4Ts, and should get -GOE. If Voronov managed to take on the 3T has little to do with that for me. I agree with your scores, Voronov getting -1 and Han getting -3... but just look at Han doing a 3Lz to Voronovs 3Lp and how Han's 3A deserves at least a point more on GOE, and the difference is moot. It was really the PCS that kept Voronov above Han, who is a lot better in SS and at least still comparable in all the other PCS aspects. And this event is in China, that's why I don't get it at all.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker

He was also skating with a knee injury which is why he was a bit slow and stiff. If people want to complain about his PCS, they can do it until the cows come home. I would never say Sergei has benefitted from being overscored - quite the opposite, when I look at the mistakes others get away with. He fights tooth and nail for his position and has done so all season long.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I admire Voronov for his longtime consistency, but I have to admit I find him unexciting as a skater. He always gets the job done, but none of his performances are memorable. OTOH, I always feel a surge of pleasure when he places ahead of his countryman Kovtun. :laugh:

Last edited:

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
The judges deserve a swift kick for giving Kovtun the same PCS they would have given him for a clean SP. How the **** could he earn 8.25 7.79 7.86 8.11 8.14 for a program with two zero jumping passes? There's nothing particularly remarkable about his spins and footwork, and no interesting linking steps, certainly nothing remotely comparable to Ten, Hanyu or Fernandez. He is not even remotely musical. So why is he getting 8s in CH and IN?

um, just guessing here, but could it be because his jacket says Russia?

Rissa

Record Breaker
Oh well, but Hanyu shows major brilliance mixed in with at least 1 to 3 errors per program or per competition. I would not call that nailing it. But mayhap being Chan's heir, the OTT props from judges is to be expected. Hanyu is flowy and brilliant when he does complete his elements so judges think his bloopers don't matter, just as with Chan. They are judging acrobatic quad skating, not figure skating.

The logic of this argument doesn't quite hold up.... If the judges were judging acrobatic quad skating, they'd fail skaters for not doing them and not pay attention to other skills. And Javi would be the winning one.

I admire Voronov for his longtime consistency, but I have to admit I find him unexciting as a skater. He always gets the job done, but none of his performances are memorable. OTOH, I always feel a surge of pleasure when he places ahead of his countryman Kovtun. :laugh:

Wait, you don't find his Lol-stastic beginning of Bolero memorable? ;)

His skating is much more refined than last year's (still has alot of arm flailing though).

I hope he doesn't get rid of the flailing. It dawned in me when people were discussing Anna Pogorilaya that what many term "flailing" or "noodle arms"I see as unschooled abandon, going where music and natural body movement takes them. It's something I really love watching and appreciate more than, for example, the careful movement of Han Yan.

Last edited: