2016-17 State of Russian Ice Dance | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2016-17 State of Russian Ice Dance

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Yeah it's ridiculous. Plushenko has more WD's next to his name then actual competitions in the last 4 years. How does a skater who hasn't even competed in over two years even stay on the National team? :no:

He said it pretty clear: he wants to compete on the team event at the next Olympics. I really doubt we will see him anywhere beyond that. I mean serious events, not Russian Cup stages or Challengers (maybe).

Mattieu

Medalist
He said it pretty clear: he wants to compete on the team event at the next Olympics. I really doubt we will see him anywhere beyond that. I mean serious events, not Russian Cup stages or Challengers (maybe).

I don't think we will see him at all other than in shows, his body is finished!

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
I don't think we will see him at all other than in shows, his body is finished!

Well, maybe you're right. Although he and Mishin both sound pretty determined, I honestly doubt he will stamp quads like he did before. And without quads he has no chances for even a SP at the team event.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Keeping thread alive: Anna Yanovskaya teamd up with Ivan Gurianov. I wonder if Yuri Vlasenko will find someone to skate with...

Last edited:

Abraxis12345

Final Flight
Keeping thread alive: Anna Yanovskaya teamd up with Ivan Gurianov. I wonder if Yuri Vlasenko will find somenone to skate with...

He was hanging around Denis Petukhov and his family during Memorial Day weekend, so it seems like he is looking abroad for partners.

Weathergal

Medalist
Just to add that here is an interview with them translated into English:

http://fs-gossips.com/yanovskaya-guryanov-maybe-its-destiny/

Thank you for the link. I realize this is translated so probably hard to get the full effect of Anna's intentions and personality, but I think she sounds very intelligent and gracious. She always comes across well in her interviews. I wish them both well and will certainly he rooting for them. Very curious to see what they have to offer.

gmyers

Record Breaker
With the GP selections out the deteriorated state of the Russian dance program is on full display. What can be done to create a good high level team? Is zahorski Guerrero a possibility?

Last edited:

uhh

Medalist
With the GP selections out the deteriorated state of the Russian dance program is on full display. What can be done to create a good high level team? Is zahorski Guerrero a possibility?

Look at their results after a full year together at Russian nationals - I would say no. They'd had basically the same amount of time together as S/K & I/Z, give or take a few months, and they are a long way behind both teams. They have some good qualities, but they haven't maximised it. Long legs, but clunky lines and poor extension. I still find they are slow and heavy on the ice, he's not a great performer, and Zhulin hasn't come up with great material with them. They have also competed internationally at the Santa Claus Cup - 57 in the SD, 93 in the FD and looking at the other couples scores in comparison to what they got elsewhere in the season, the judges were quite lax. Maybe things will change & they will make a step up now they have a whole season being able to compete internationally, but they won't be the saviours of ice dance.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Look at their results after a full year together at Russian nationals - I would say no. They'd had basically the same amount of time together as S/K & I/Z, give or take a few months, and they are a long way behind both teams. They have some good qualities, but they haven't maximised it. Long legs, but clunky lines and poor extension. I still find they are slow and heavy on the ice, he's not a great performer, and Zhulin hasn't come up with great material with them. They have also competed internationally at the Santa Claus Cup - 57 in the SD, 93 in the FD and looking at the other couples scores in comparison to what they got elsewhere in the season, the judges were quite lax. Maybe things will change & they will make a step up now they have a whole season being able to compete internationally, but they won't be the saviours of ice dance.

I hope things change! Maybe z/g could move to a better coach. Someone who isn't a flaky sabateur.

anyanka

Record Breaker
The Russian dancers are all about even at this point, at least internationally. B/S are still the class of the field there, with S/K not too far behind. S/B are my faves and hopefully they can make it to 2018 if they get the third spot (assuming they don't move up). I/Z are still mismatched as she's a much better skater than he is. Personally I'd like to see Tiffany Zahorski and Jonathan Guerrero make it up the ladder, they're my preference with the long lines and seem better-matched. Lots of room for growth with those two.

brushalley

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
. S/B are my faves and hopefully they can make it to 2018 if they get the third spot (assuming they don't move up).
Are you talking about Stepanova/Bukin?I love them and hope they have better programmes and especially music this season.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Elena Ilinykh will always have that problem because she's that good. Her current partner doesn't have to equal her skating skills but rather compliment her better. If within a matter of months they could have created the Carmen performance they had at COR 2014, its way too early to count these two out. Last years material just didn't develop as they'd hoped, also a program as intricate as Frida needed the sort of guidance that A/K just couldn't offer them, not to mention the packaging. So I'm really curious to see what Igor can do with them over the next two seasons. Russia has some great juniors coming up the ranks. In the interim they also have B/S, S/B and S/K.

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
They will be at the JGP in Saransk. Curious to see how they will fare against the other teams.

I am not expecting high results just yet. As far as I know they got together in March-April only.
But it is already a good sign that as a new pair they are given a spot already

gmyers

Record Breaker
Interesting story. Sinitsina and Katsalpov will not return to the US at all and will train and get treatment in Russia rather than the US. Anyone know reasons why the injured Katsalpov won't get treatment in the US and s/k choose to be coached by zueva over the Internet?