2017 Europeans Mens SP | Page 42 | Golden Skate

2017 Europeans Mens SP

andromache

Record Breaker
BTW when/if they can be carried, the international carry-on weight limits are so low that I think that many men's skates would hit the limit without the bag included.

Really? On my international flights (North America to Europe and vice versa) I have never had my carry-on weighed. There is a size requirement (to fit in the overhead bin) but otherwise I have never encountered that. (AFAIK, carry-on weights, sizes, prices usually vary from airline to airline.)

mrrice

Record Breaker
LOL, even if he had landed the axel, he would have still been behind Kovtun. I'm not quite sure where your math is on this one... note that Mikhail also attempted only 1 quad (so, even with the 3A, his BV would have been about 5 points behind Javier/Maxim).

I'm not quite sure where your math is on this one

My Math comes from my desire to see Mikhail on the Podium. It's a bit fuzzy, but it has worked for years. I used it to get Maria Butyrskaya her first GP Win at Skate Canada back in 1992. It goes like this...."Holy Cow...I want the girl in the pink disco boots to win" and she did. She beat Tonya Harding and Josee Chouinard that day.

Here they are....https://i.ytimg.com/vi/pVOI-ZNHYxo/hqdefault.jpg

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
If they perform well enough, yes. That BV would put a skater like that out of contention anyway, but these are separate marks for a reason.

It's not absurd at all - in fact, it's what is written in the rules for PCS.

Uhm, heard of something called GOE? Also, without that mistake I'm sure his PCS would have gone up, because yes, mistakes usually do affect the PCS. Had he landed that 3A well, he definitely would have placed ahead of Maxim. You might wanna rethink calling people out on 'where there math is'.

LOL, so if a skater performs well enough, electing to do only doubles, then they should be allowed to get 10.00s for performance. Got it. :laugh:

With GOE, his 3A would get about 10.5 points (that's giving him +2's across the board, which is generous though not outrageous). His final score would have been still 94.46 (lower than Kovtun).

And why should his PCS have gone up with a successful 3A -- a wise guy once said "technical content is not related to PCS whatsoever". He just ended up doing a single axel instead of a triple. :sarcasm:

Not to mention, his PCS was quite generous as is - getting a personal best SP PCS with a popped axel. :rolleye:

Last edited:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
LOL, so if a skater performs well enough, electing to do only doubles, then they should be allowed to get 10.00s for performance. Got it. :laugh:

Can you give me any logical reason why not? So far, I've never seen one from you.

With GOE, his 3A would get about 10.5 points (that's giving him +2's across the board, which is generous though not outrageous). His final score would have been still 94.46 (lower than Kovtun).

And why should his PCS have gone up with a successful 3A -- a wise guy once said "technical content is not related to PCS whatsoever". He just ended up doing a single axel instead of a triple. :sarcasm:

Not to mention, his PCS was quite generous as is - getting a personal best SP PCS with a popped axel. :rolleye:

The difficulty of the technical elements isn't related to PCS, the clean execution is. Is that so hard to get?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Can you give me any logical reason why not? So far, I've never seen one from you.

The difficulty of the technical elements isn't related to PCS, the clean execution is. Is that so hard to get?

A program is harder to execute and perform if the technical elements are more difficult. Transitions and blade control are more difficult when you do quads instead of triples. Doing greater difficulty lends itself to a more exciting performance; and it's more impressive to maintain flow and speed when you have more difficult elements versus comparatively playing it safe. Is that so hard to get?

LadyB

Record Breaker
I sat in the office when I saw Max's result. I punched the air and said :yes2:, feeling totally happy inside. Well done, lad! He deserves a bit of motivation. Will it continue tomorrow? Well, we'll have to wait and see, but I keep my finges crossed.:gclap:
Great to see Moris competing at this stage. He did himself proud. Hope that Mikhail makes the podium tomorrow.
Vamos Javi, safe travels on the road to your fifth European championship.

whatif

Medalist
I would have Kovtun and Fernandez closer today by about 5 points. I did not see 10 point advantage in Javier's skate tonight. Except for 4S, those jumps were not good.

Kolyada would have been around 96 if he had landed that 3A.

That would made much more exciting FS tomorrow. Shoulda, woulda, coulda...

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
1. Javi's hot.

2. Was this the cleanest Malaguena of his so far?

3. I miss the shiny red vest from the last year.

4. I felt a bit disconnected from the performance this time? Idk, it seemed not very fiery.

It seemed like he removed some steps from step sequence, I at least had that impression. My favourite performance of Javi's Malaguena is probably the one from Boston Worlds last year despite big error. It was like this quad fall really fired him up there. I also much prefer their camera work. The way they're filming it in Ostrava make skaters look slow while in Boston you could be stunned by their speed.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Deniss VASILJEVS......How cute can one skater be.....I don't mean Stephane either...Deniss reminds me a lot the USA's Jason Brown. Even when he doesn't land a quad, he can steal the show with beautiful lines, great footwork, fast and original spins, and his freakin' cuteness....:bow:

I'm so glad someone else saw this too. The first time I really paid any attention to Deniss was last year at Worlds, and I thought that performance style, those spins, that connection with the audience ... this is pretty near Jason-level, and from me there is no higher praise:agree: Well, maybe Toller level, but everyone needs a goal:biggrin:

I am looking forward to many more great performances from Deniss!:clap:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Highlights for me:
Deniss (and Lambiel) :luv17:
Kovtun I knew this program had comedic merit, but it had to be skated clean-ish. Now he's done it. Hooray!
Bychenko another strange bird (silver fox? golden eagle? White rabbit in a hurry?) that doesn't give up.
Fernandez, amazing saves, and a new personal best.
How will the podium shuffle after the Free skate?

noskates

Record Breaker
All I can say is Worlds is going to be amaaaaaaaaaaaaazing. The Men's SP was very entertaining today. I did feel sorry for Kolyada though - he's capable of much better.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
A program is harder to execute and perform if the technical elements are more difficult. Transitions and blade control are more difficult when you do quads instead of triples. Doing greater difficulty lends itself to a more exciting performance; and it's more impressive to maintain flow and speed when you have more difficult elements versus comparatively playing it safe. Is that so hard to get?

Which is why they get a higher BV. Skaters who manage both technical difficulty & performance need to be rewarded over those who 'only' have the former after all.
Why exactly do why have all of BV and GOE and PCS otherwise if they reward the same thing?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Kolyada would have been around 96 if he had landed that 3A.

Nope. Unless he got +2/+3s and 44ish PCS (which, outside of Russian Nationals, is ridiculous). As it is, it's ridiculous that he got a personal best PCS with a singled jumping pass - an obvious major error that did not enhance the program from an artistic standpoint.

96 for a 1 quad program? For comparison, Chan gets a 99 for his clean SP and the difference between a clean SP from Chan and Kolyada should be wayyyyy more than 3 points.

TGee

Record Breaker
Really? On my international flights (North America to Europe and vice versa) I have never had my carry-on weighed. There is a size requirement (to fit in the overhead bin) but otherwise I have never encountered that. (AFAIK, carry-on weights, sizes, prices usually vary from airline to airline.)

Getting from NA to Europe isn't so much the problem, but within Europe on to non EU Eastern Europe, it's a different story, everything is weighed and tagged that it has been weighed. When they dropped the limit to 5kg, we ditched our carry-ons for new ones that weigh less than a kilo, and started looking for lightweight activities for the kids...who each had their own even as toddlers...

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
Sad for Daniel, but the estonian Daniel is in! Always nice to root for someone from my native country, since the skating field is not very deep there.

The whole time I was rooting for someone to fail so that Naurits would qualify. I thought he was so good and that it was such a shame that he would just miss the cut. The sad irony is that Daniel Samohin is my favorite. So devastated for him. Here's hoping Naurits has a great free skate. He's so talented.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
1. Terribly sad for my man Samohin. Ugh, what a nightmare. :sad4:

2. I really liked Alexander Borovoj, the Hungarian. He should have qualified!
3. Kevin Aymoz and Graham Newberry, the newcomers from France and Great Britain, were so great! So were Daniel Albert Naurits, Anton Karpuk, and Ivan Pavlov!
4. I love the way that Javier saves landings; it has such aplomb. Why didn't he get a haircut before Europeans?
5. Alexei Bychenko is gorgeous.
6. Let's go Maxim, Mikhail, and Deniss!

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I was at car during men's SP, national TV showed afterwards only three best and Virtanen and all the videos included seem to be blocked here. There are too many pages to find out, what happened to Samohin? Did he got injured or was his day that bad?

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There are too many pages to find out, what happened to Samohin? Did he got injured or was his day that bad?

Airlines lost his bags (skates). He had to use his brother skates and thus the result..........