2017 GP NHK Trophy Pairs SP | Page 23 | Golden Skate

2017 GP NHK Trophy Pairs SP

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Should also be easy to read Cong as "Tsong' since it would literally be read it as we see it. But commentators still pronounce it as "Kong" for some reason....

If we're talking about British/American/Canadian/Australian, etc. commentators, in English there would never be the soft "C" with an "o" after it.... although if we gave it some thought, we might come up with some exceptions to the rule. But unless we'd studied linguistics or a few diverse languages, or otherwise know to question it, native English speakers would probably say "Kong."

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
If we're talking about British/American/Canadian/Australian, etc. commentators, in English there would never be the soft "C" with an "o" after it.... although if we gave it some thought, we might come up with some exceptions to the rule. But unless we'd studied linguistics or a few diverse languages, or otherwise know to question it, native English speakers would probably say "Kong."

Nah, I was refering to Ares post about our Polish commentators. Our "c" is something like English "ts". So Cong is Cong for us. But commentators still read his name as "Kong".

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
Should also be easy to read Cong as "Tsong' since it would literally be read it as we see it. But commentators still pronounce it as "Kong" for some reason....

I also never get over how CBC sometimes pronounces "Wenjing" as "way-jing" which to me makes even less sense :laugh:

rain

Record Breaker
I believe Stolbova & Klimov's short will actually stand out amongst most of the field, because of the music. In fact, I think it is the perfect musical choice for them because it highlights some of their strengths (speed, edgy chemistry, sultry performance style). And actually, skated cleanly, I think it's one of my favorite short programs this season.

See, I would have thought this was a slam-dunk musical choice for them. If anybody can pull off tango diva it's Stolbova. And yet, it's not there yet. The performance is lacking. It's not nearly as intense at it should be. Maybe that will come as they get more comfortable with it, but I was surprised at how bland I found this. Their side by side triples were amazing, however. Perfect, perfect timing. Very low catch on the twist, and she stumbled in the footwork.

I'm not as in love with Sui/Han's SP as I was with their last two, but I still do like this a lot. Deservingly in the lead.

I love Seguin and Bilodeau, so I'm sad to see them struggling so much this season. They've had such terrible luck on the injury/illness front. I love their SP, adore the music and think it could be a real standout, but they haven't skated it nearly to its potential yet this season. Julianne used to be so solid on those side by side jumps, what happened?

gold12345

Medalist
Sui/Han are a dream. This program is gorgeous. They're gorgeous. God.

Nice to see S/K not skate like hot messes. Their skating is mesmerizing, as always. Was their timing in the StSq or is it just the way it is choreographed in spots? I hope to finally see their LP semi-clean.

I AM SUCH A SAPPPP for Scimeca/Knierem's SP, Moulin Rouge and all. Of course they messed up the SBS jumps. Of course. What else do we expect from US pairs? Anyway, I'd love to see them win bronze here.

I actually find all US pairs pretty different with a multitude of problem areas. Some of them are better at jumps than anything else. :slink: All pairs in the world have had their jumping issues though.

The Knierims actually have really nice SBS 3S, but they haven't shown their full potential. Chris right now looks off to me. They hinted very strongly before the competition that he was coming off of injury and they couldn't train properly leading up to the GP. The 3T is the hard/newer jump for him. His 3S has often been good, or at least he can do it with a minor mistake. He needs the confidence that he had earlier in 2017 when nearly all his 3S were solid. But they do tend to have their best skates towards the end of the season. They could get bronze here, with or without jumps, but Astakhova/Rogonov have been on a hot streak on the GP this season and are getting big scores.

In fact, I think it is the perfect musical choice for them because it highlights some of their strengths (speed, edgy chemistry, sultry performance style). And actually, skated cleanly, I think it's one of my favorite short programs this season.

Yes I agree this musical choice is a very good one for Stolbova/Klimov.

(**On another note, if anyone could explain to me why some posts only take up about half the text box instead of the full thing, I'd appreciate it.)

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Nice work from A/R. I love that programme more and more. But Fedor is still better looking by miles :p

I definitely can't get on that train, Rogonov is sexier, his hair is perfect ;)

Astakhova/Rogonov darn well better be given that Olympic spot over the boring Zabiiako/Enbert.

Fozzie Bear

On the Ice
Perhaps an unpopular opinion considering how well they did here-- but I feel like Stolbova and Klimov skated like two singles skaters out there. They didn't connect with each other at all. Half the performance was over before I realized that they were skating to a tango.