2017 Internationaux de France Free Dance | Page 24 | Golden Skate

2017 Internationaux de France Free Dance

Astrid56

Final Flight
Charlie White sounded a bit harsh on C/B's performance?

I don't think Charlie was harsh. He simply stated the obvious. Evan seems to have developed 'twizzle-itis' :palmf:. It's either a lack of focus or a confidence issue. Their last year’s outing must have unnerved him. What's surprising to me is their inability to choose the right music. Dean and Rohene are great choreographers but they have to be provided with the right musical vehicle. ‘Imagine’ while great in terms of theme is not exactly musically compelling. Also John Lennon’s singing does not lend well to emoting and the female vocalist wasn’t inspiring. They could have chosen someone like Lea Salonga - hear her version of the song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oipZgrUtl3U and ask Sonia Lee to provide the much needed musical portion to lengthen the time and to provide a background for some important elements e.g. twizzle, Combination Spin. I think using Madison as the main ‘story-teller’ would have made the routine more dramatically compelling. She’s the better interpreter (no offense meant for Evan Bates) _ she’s better at projecting emotions like angst, elation…. What’s lacking in this program is ‘color’ that makes the telling poignant, wishful, climactical …. Anyway, I like the way Lea Salonga ended the song _ she simply repeated the title _ Imagine …. A great way to close or end the program _asking the audience to contemplate the scenario.

Astrid56

Final Flight
"the only/main thing everyone will remember from that performance is Evan's mistake" is stating the obvious? I thought it was a little much.

Unfortunately, that's true. It's one flaw that a viewer is likely to remember. Also, that flawed twizzle was downgraded to level 3 and earned negative GoE from the German and Italian judges. a 'zero' from 4 judges and a '1' from 3 judges.

cell

On the Ice
Unfortunately, that's true. It's one flaw that a viewer is likely to remember. Also, that flawed twizzle was downgraded to level 3 and earned negative GoE from the German and Italian judges. a 'zero' from 4 judges and a '1' from 3 judges.

The program was not a disaster because of that mistake. It's hardly the only thing to remember out of it. I don't know, that comment sounded like a bit of an exaggeration :shrug:

Astrid56

Final Flight
The program was not a disaster because of that mistake. It's hardly the only thing to remember out of it. I don't know, that comment sounded like a bit of an exaggeration :shrug:

Definitely not a disaster! Unfortunately because of that mistake their FD score suffered. I am a very avid fan but I know that one mistake particularly involving an element can be costly and this was a costly mistake.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker

It's Ice Dancing, you have to make the difference, and twizzles are too important. Ice Dancers know it and it can take away from the rest of the performance.
It's all about finding the little things that will give you a 108 or a 113. Meryl&Charlie were so consistent in their last 2 seasons that their scores just blew off the roof. He knows what he's talking about. Olympic year doing no good to no one :drama:

treeloving

Medalist
Some people will never acknowledge that P/C have constantly improve ever since their break out in 2014 and are getting better day by day.

Barb

Record Breaker
Is it me or does Evan Bates look extremely skinny? Hope he doesn't have a eating disorder.

He always was skinny, I think he looks skinnier because of the shirt, especially the V neck is not very flattering for someone tall and thin. But who knows? it is olympic season, the pressure must be huge.

cell

On the Ice
It's Ice Dancing, you have to make the difference, and twizzles are too important. Ice Dancers know it and it can take away from the rest of the performance.
It's all about finding the little things that will give you a 108 or a 113. Meryl&Charlie were so consistent in their last 2 seasons that their scores just blew off the roof. He knows what he's talking about. Olympic year doing no good to no one :drama:

Yes, he knows what he is talking about, and it sounds right from a competitor's perspective. It sounds harsh from a spectator's perspective.

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I don't think Charlie was harsh. He simply stated the obvious. Evan seems to have developed 'twizzle-itis' :palmf:. It's either a lack of focus or a confidence issue. Their last year’s outing must have unnerved him. What's surprising to me is their inability to choose the right music. Dean and Rohene are great choreographers but they have to be provided with the right musical vehicle. ‘Imagine’ while great in terms of theme is not exactly musically compelling. Also John Lennon’s singing does not lend well to emoting and the female vocalist wasn’t inspiring. They could have chosen someone like Lea Salonga - hear her version of the song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oipZgrUtl3U and ask Sonia Lee to provide the much needed musical portion to lengthen the time and to provide a background for some important elements e.g. twizzle, Combination Spin. I think using Madison as the main ‘story-teller’ would have made the routine more dramatically compelling. She’s the better interpreter (no offense meant for Evan Bates) _ she’s better at projecting emotions like angst, elation…. What’s lacking in this program is ‘color’ that makes the telling poignant, wishful, climactical …. Anyway, I like the way Lea Salonga ended the song _ she simply repeated the title _ Imagine …. A great way to close or end the program _asking the audience to contemplate the scenario.

Thanks for the video link. That was simply beautiful. I wish Madison and Evan had spoken to you while they were designing their programs!!

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I am not a C/B fan but I think Imagine is worse than under pressure. I think they should go back to it. At least that music seemed to suit them better with it's driving beat. It isn't helped by the fact that I have to grit my teeth to get through the song Imagine and adding in the voiceovers and the woman. Wow. You made one of my least favourite songs worse. That took some effort. If they want to skate to imagine (and I can't imagine why they want to) take out the voice overs and the woman and just skate to John Lennon.

But in the end I'm having trouble even giving a fig. I don't think I've enjoyed a C/B program. I think they are 3rd best US team right now. I just hope that A)H/D skate well at nationals (unlike last year) and B) the judges score it fairly.

Astrid56

Final Flight
Thanks for the video link. That was simply beautiful. I wish Madison and Evan had spoken to you while they were designing their programs!!

Thank you! You're so kind to say that :luv17: I enjoy acting as an armchair [theater] commentator having graduated with a theater degree and not using it at all. And dance is a passion _ did my bit in my heyday. Anyway, Lea is a great artist _ won a number of awards (Tony's Best Actress in a musical play, Lawrence Olivier to name a few). She did a really marvelous job of the Lennon song somewhat deviating from the way it was originally sung. She made the song her own.

Purv

Match Penalty
P/C are not a shoo-in at GPF because V/M THRIVE on competition. It is their strength: the do better when in competition with their main competitors. P/C are more nervous competitors (except when they don't have anything to lose like at Worlds in Helsinki for the FD).
So it will come down to experience and nerves.

Well, this season theres another situation.
last season Canadians were confident.because of their Sd. They had always ( from nhk when they competed already with french ) quite margin with them. So they always did FD with ease and no pressure. But after frenchs FD in Worlds you could see how nervous they were when french got record. Even if they know how good they managed in SD getting 82
This season they havent compete with each other yet, buy canadians know that french' scores increase , their dont. And frenchs SD score gettin higher and it is very close to theirs. I bet canadians wanted very much got big massive score after Chinas records of french. So I think they were mobilized enough.But it didtn work out...And Frenchs scores still increasing.And i dont think canadians will score 4 points more at one,single competition

MelDee

Final Flight
Well, this season theres another situation.
last season Canadians were confident.because of their Sd. They had always ( from nhk when they competed already with french ) quite margin with them. So they always did FD with ease and no pressure. But after frenchs FD in Worlds you could see how nervous they were when french got record. Even if they know how good they managed in SD getting 82
This season they havent compete with each other yet, buy canadians know that french' scores increase , their dont. And frenchs SD score gettin higher and it is very close to theirs. I bet canadians wanted very much got big massive score after Chinas records of french. So I think they mobilized enough.But it didtn work out...And Frenchs scores still increasing.And i dont think canadians will score 4 points more at one,single competition

Yeah, I still attribute Scott's fall to nervosity after hearing P/C's score.

I feel like this is where math comes into play. V/M's PB in the SD is 82.68, and the max SD score is 85.3, meaning there's only 2.62 points left on the table. Moreover, they are no longer given the cushion over P/C in the SD. The max FD score is 124.7, which means that P/C have 4.12 points left to max it out. And V/M haven't been able to score over 118 yet... This is just theorising of course, but I thought this was interesting to point out.

icekiwi

On the Ice
Is it me or does Evan Bates look extremely skinny? Hope he doesn't have a eating disorder.

Both Evan and Maddison are looking really skinny this season! Watch closely at Maddison's legs (I like to watch the foot placement and edges especially in Ice Dancing). Maddie's feet from knee down are very skinny and lack strength, very weak foot placement. Strong foot placement is especially needed in Latin dances. Look at Tessa's feet and Maddison Hubbell's feet, very strong controlled edges and foot placement.

Such a shame, Maddison is skating from knees down instead of from the core of her body.

I also agree with the poor editing of this music, the soft female vocal is weak and forget about the instrumental bit of the music, that part lacks pucntuation, hence doesn't allow the skaters to accent them in their moves. Extremely poor music choice. Yes, either use John Lennon totally or none at all.

icekiwi

On the Ice

Thank you Astrid56 for the 'Lea Salonga' version of 'Imagine'. Just watched the link. Wow wow! that was powerful and emotional, Lea really emphasized words, emoted feelings and punctuated notes in the song. Also the accentuated drum beats can give skaters room for choreography and punch in movements. This version could have been so much more powerful to skate to. The current mixed version is such a mixed bag and I truly hate the instrumental bits, very flat.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I am not a C/B fan but I think Imagine is worse than under pressure. I think they should go back to it. At least that music seemed to suit them better with it's driving beat. It isn't helped by the fact that I have to grit my teeth to get through the song Imagine and adding in the voiceovers and the woman. Wow. You made one of my least favourite songs worse. That took some effort. If they want to skate to imagine (and I can't imagine why they want to) take out the voice overs and the woman and just skate to John Lennon.

But in the end I'm having trouble even giving a fig. I don't think I've enjoyed a C/B program. I think they are 3rd best US team right now. I just hope that A)H/D skate well at nationals (unlike last year) and B) the judges score it fairly.

I don't mind "Imagine" but I think it resembles Lobacheva/Averbukh's 2002 FD too much. I thought if it right away the first time I watched "Imagine."

Astrid56

Final Flight
Thank you Astrid56 for the 'Lea Salonga' version of 'Imagine'. Just watched the link. Wow wow! that was powerful and emotional, Lea really emphasized words, emoted feelings and punctuated notes in the song. Also the accentuated drum beats can give skaters room for choreography and punch in movements. This version could have been so much more powerful to skate to. The current mixed version is such a mixed bag and I truly hate the instrumental bits, very flat.

I wish C/B had spent more time researching about which version to use. Lea's version is much more powerful ... more nuanced, emphatic .... I particularly like the ending ... it is emotionally right to end it that way _ by inviting the audience to 'Imagine'....