2017 U.S. Nationals Championship Ladies SP | Page 61 | Golden Skate

2017 U.S. Nationals Championship Ladies SP

yuzushenko

On the Ice
so it seem USFS came out with a new rule about how the US champion isn't guaranteed a spot at worlds (im sure you've all heard of it but if not, it's an article on icenetwork written by phil hersh)

seems they were afraid mariah or amber would win given that the decision on this was made back in december, and had to find some way to guarantee gracie a spot

honestly i think it's absolutely shameful

if they're just going to send gracie after the horrible season she's had over karen then that's just real sad and makes this nationals absolutely irrelevant. this isn't a fair sport, and it's hilarious that the president of USFS thinks russians should be banned at the olympics next year over clean sport when this is just as dirty!

so ashamed of USFS, the ends they will go to give their precious marketing pony the upper hand, no wonder gracie seemed so confident she'd be sent to worlds.

i hope karen wins, and if they pull another mirai 2014 on her (another asian skater, even better!), then they deserve to lose their audience. seats were so empty. pulling more favoritism games like this will only make people leave even more. not to mention that they dont market their competitions, and are placing them in these middle-of-nowhere places like kansas city.

Amei

Record Breaker
I think you are right about that. She was pretty harsh with Gracie, saying basically that there was no excuse for all these problems.

It also seemed like when a new skater is 19 years old and just up form juniors, there is an undercurrent of, "Good grief, I was Olympic champion at 15!"

Well it's not just Tara's background of her being a Olympic champion at 15 but the current 'standard' of ladies figure skating is Russian ladies who are coming into the senior ranks at 14-15 years old and are winning. Whether they have staying power is irrelevant. It's strange when you see a 19 year old debuting at the same time as a 15 year old.

Well it's not just Tara's background of her being a Olympic champion at 15 but the current 'standard' of ladies figure skating is Russian ladies who are coming into the senior ranks at 14-15 years old and are winning. Whether they have staying power is irrelevant. It's strange when you see a 19 year old debuting at the same time as a 15 year old.

True, but there are skaters at all sorts of skill level at nationals -- people who finished fourth at sectionals after many tries, etc. These skaters will not be going to the Olympics, but they deserve objective commentary at the the competition, with the commentators mentioning what they did well, areas where they can improve, etc.

Art&Sport

Medalist
:laugh: You completely misunderstood my post.
I was well aware that the IN Viewer's Guide claimed that Skate Radio would be available this year.

But ... the reality is that Skate Radio was not available on my computer last night ...

Based on what the schedule says, my interpretation is that Skate Radio will be made available during NBC's coverage on Saturday and Sunday, not during NBCSN's coverage.

Of course IceNetwork rarely lives up to their promises. They operate like some Mom/Pop backwoods behind-the-times dime store, with big ticket prices. :mad:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Based on what the schedule says, my interpretation is that Skate Radio will be made available during NBC's coverage on Saturday and Sunday, not during NBCSN's coverage. ...

People using the new app already have been able to listen to Skate Radio this year during the SPs/SD (according to posts here on GS from others).

Plus I could swear that Skate Radio was available via computer during the SPs/SD last year. As well as the free skates.

So I am disappointed that Skate Radio was not available via computer during the SPs this year.
And I am not optimistic that Skate Radio will be available via computer during the free skates.

But if you turn out to be correct re the free skates ... at this point, I'll take it :). Better than nothing.

yude

Record Breaker
I finally watched the videos (thank you for the uploader!) and enjoyed as much as I did with Japanese nationals! I'm very happy for Karen and almost cried watching her reaction in K&C, and I really liked the face Gracie gave after the combo. FS is going to be so exciting since the score is very close after SP, I wish all the girls to perform well and have no regrets!!

da96103

Record Breaker
If you guys think Mirai or Karen was overscored, you should see Canadian Nationals. I didn't actually watch, but Kaetlyn got 81 which shouldn't be possible without a 3A.

Kaetlyn did get some 10s in her PCS. But the scores at nationals do not function as a reflection of the actual scores that would be obtained at international competition.

The inflation is to grab the attention of international judges: Look at her. This is our girl. She is the best in our country and she is better than the other girls from other countries. Watch her and reward her accordingly.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Just watched SPs. Karen Chen finally skated to her potential which is quite high. Package aside I think she is better than Gracie in everything but speed. Hope, Karen nails FS, gets consistency after all her injuries (Osmond?) and becomes US #1 lady. As for Eteri and her interview, well, she lived in the US and knows what political correctness is. I would be very surprised if she said that she and Medvedeva dismiss Gold who could not give a serious fight to leading Russian ladies a single time since Sochi.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker

I do not get this reasoning at all :scratch2: skaters peak at different ages, that is normal and perfectly fine. I don't see why hitting your stride from 14-15 is any better than from 21-22 or any other age. And it's especially surprising here since the US lady that finally ended the medal drought and won a worlds medal for the first time was not exactly 15 - and Tara was very complementary about Ashleys skating, wasn't she?

As for Eteri and her interview, well, she lived in the US and knows what political correctness is.

:laugh2:

senatormls

On the Ice
Go Mirai and Karen! No nerves! I hope Mariah Bell has a great free skate. However Ashley finishes, she'll be going to Worlds. I just don't see anything promising for Gracie. I hope she does well in the free skate,but I doubt she will pull through.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
GUYS THEY'RE SHOWING CAROLINE'S SP RIGHT NOW ON NBC

Yaaaaaaaaaaaay

are they planning to do all of the ladies SP? because they're also showing Tessa...

edit: nvm they're probably going to show the top 5 then

Last edited:

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
are they planning to do all of the ladies SP? because they're also showing Tessa...

There's a wait time before Group 2 of Dance starts (about 25ish more minutes) so they're filling the airtime. There's no way they're re-airing everyone. Just a few of the top contenders and old favorites.

andromache

Record Breaker
Karen's SP impresses me more upon rewatch. I like the choreography, and her interpretation is masterful. It feels real.

That monster triple lutz needs to be shrunk down just a tad so she can have more consistent and clear full rotation on the 3T.

TwinnerA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Gracie's problem is also that she is not in top physical condition from taking to much time off during the summer.
I think she now knows never to do that again because she has been playing catch up to the other skaters and it might be to late. While the other skaters were gearing up for the new season Gracie was feeling sorry for herself and not doing the work needed to be ready for the season.

Gracie really must have been in a bad place mentally and emotionally to think that basically not skating all summer would do anything positive for her performances this season. Most people would have after a short break then spent the off-season and summer with renewed desire to do even better the next season.

bytheriver

On the Ice
Gracie really must have been in a bad place mentally and emotionally to think that basically not skating all summer would do anything positive for her performances this season. Most people would have after a short break then spent the off-season and summer with renewed desire to do even better the next season.

It was likely partially due to her emotional/mental state being pretty down, and also not having much drive to skate outside of competition. Some skaters like Mariah Bell and Ashley Wagner seem like they genuinely LOVE skating, so the long hours of practice and the stress of training is worth it in the short-term, not just the long. Gracie doesn't seem to have much joy in her skating in recent years (except when she does really well in competition), so I wouldn't be surprised if she felt unmotivated to get back in the game after a disappointing Worlds (by her standards).

Someone mentioned in the Gracie thread in The Edge that a disappointing season could either really drive Gracie or drag her down emotionally again. I think the difference is whether or not you are skating for the joy of the sport or just for the potential accolades involved. Ashley does it more for the former, I believe, that's why she's such a fighter and enjoys being the underdog. Gracie used to skate like that in 2013/14, but her heart just doesn't seem in the sport anymore. I'm not buying the optimistic quotes released by her and her team, that seems like PR. Her face before the competition said it all to me, and the face after looked calm and relieved to be finished. If her heart isn't in it anymore, I don't think people should keep bombarding her with advice and "rah rahs." She needs to find the motivation within herself and nothing anyone else can say will do that for her. Maybe she'll find it, maybe she won't, but at the end of the day her career and life won't be failures if she never wins a World or Olympic individual medal.

She's so young and joyful outside of skating, I hope she can find real joy and motivation again, regardless of the path she chooses.