2017 U.S. Nationals Championship Men FS | Page 40 | Golden Skate

2017 U.S. Nationals Championship Men FS

temadd

Final Flight
The real winner of this entire Nationals was Rafael Arutunian. 1 Gold, 1 silver, and 1 bronze. He got a medal of each color. Lol. :laugh:

Yes! He trains half of the singles medalists. You think he would train me? I am an equestrian in show jumping - I don't even care if he knows nothing about the sport.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Realized that I posted other comments, but forgot :hopelessness: to congratulate Nathan, Vincent, Jason, and Grant :yay:.

Big hugs to Max :ghug: ... and thanks for your candor and sense of humor:

The real winner of this entire Nationals was Rafael Arutunian. 1 Gold, 1 silver, and 1 bronze. He got a medal of each color. Lol. :laugh:

Congrats to Raf :yay:.

Gambill outdid herself with Karen and Vincent.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Even though Raf coaches Adam and Ashley too Nathan has always been his prize pupil you can just see it. He sees an Olympic champion.

Nathan13

Medalist
KC saves its best for last. We now know that pressure has literally no effect on Nathan Chen--in fact, pressure makes Nathan Chen even better. Every time he hit a quad there was an enormous cheer, and when he was done, even Tara and Johnny were on their feet. He got another standing O when his scores came up.

The other performance I absolutely loved, and thought was underscored, was Mr. Grant Hochstein. Looking at his protocol I see the problems, but he is seriously an incredibly soulful performer.

To be honest, a major highlight for me was Sean Rabbitt. What a skate, what a performer, what an athlete!!! He connected with the audience the best of anyone, and he gave really a fun amazing performance.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Nathan just doesn't need to jump. I mean you did 5 quads. I won't mind this time if he just skated around to the music.

Even though Raf coaches Adam and Ashley too Nathan has always been his prize pupil you can just see it. He sees an Olympic champion.

Nathan has been with Raf longer too. I think he switched to him shortly after winning his second Novice title back in 2011.

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to Nathan, Vincent and Jason!

No words for the technical content of Nathan's programs, mind boggling!
What a talent he is!

Jason showed his grit and determination tonight and fought it out and delivered a great program, good for him!

Shout out to Alex Johnson, Ross Miner, Grant Hochstein and Sean Rabbit!

Overall I thought the Men's FS was really good!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
:rock: Yay and good for them!

Honestly, I really think they bring the best out of each other. Grant really believed in Caroline long before Caroline herself did. And Caroline has been with him -- physically, even -- through the ups and downs this season. Must've been so exciting to see Grant do so well.

begin

Medalist
They had a cool, marketable, friendly young man doing super athletic things on the ice that no other US man could do. they chose to trash him and chase the arteestes. Now that it's Chen, somehow it's all okay agian.

Max doesn't have the consistency or control that Nathan is thus far demonstrating. The kid just became the first American to break 300 and the first man ever to land 5 quads. Not to mention a GPF medalist at the tender age of 17. I mean, it's not even a comparison. And as much as I like Max, he's just never offered us compelling programs to watch. Chen, while a bit stoic and rough around the edges, is at least a more naturally musical skater.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Holy Cow.....I literally cried watching him. He reminds me so much of me....Even his cute little fro. I was just asking where the black boys were. I can't believe I have never seem before.......:cheer2:

I can't believe it either! Isn't it nice to find new skaters to follow?!

I didn't want to use the "chocolate smurf" reference in that post, because anyone reading it who doesn't know you and your Chaka Khan music video story would think I was being a racist.

da96103

Record Breaker
And the best is Nathan can still improve! He lost levels on two of his spins and flubbed one of his triples. Now, I think Nathan can beat everyone and maybe even Yuzuru!

Oh boy.... Here come the Yuzuru fans.

This is Nathan's plan.

1. 3A combo
2. 4Lo
3. Redo Lysacek's POTO replacing all triples except 3A with the respective quadruples.

da96103

Record Breaker
Marina was not in the Kiss and Cry with Nathan.

I believe the woman with Nathan and Raf was Raf's wife, who herself is a coach.

In any case, definitely was not Marina, who looks completely different.

Thanks for the clarification. I was thinking, "Hey Nathan, you shouldn't be hugging Marina so lovingly in front of Raffy."