2017 U.S. Nationals Championship Men FS | Page 42 | Golden Skate

2017 U.S. Nationals Championship Men FS

da96103

Record Breaker
No, Johnny didn't like the muzak version of it at the beginning of the program--he wanted Freddie Mercury all way through. Couldn't agree with him more! :)

My mistake. Johnny is still classy with a dead swan but no more 'provincial' comments.

Eislauf

On the Ice
Kori probably followed the misguided mindset of Kathy Johnson instead of Brian Orser and now Jason has to pay for it.

Good point. At least junior men are doing 3A's and quads now, so as someone else pointed out, at least the message is getting through not to wait too long.

sheetz

Record Breaker
Kori probably followed the misguided mindset of Kathy Johnson instead of Brian Orser and now Jason has to pay for it.

I think USFSA did not anticipate how quickly men's skating standards would change in the last two years and so ALL of the older US men are struggling to keep up. Even Max, who was considered one of the strong jumpers.

The problem is that it seems to be so much harder to learn new quads once you're over 20. From what I've heard of Nathan, Boyang, and Vincent, they all learned 3-4 quads within just a matter of 1-2 of years once they got the first one. Meanwhile older skaters spend many years without truly mastering any quads.

Last edited:

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
I think USFS made the right decision to send Jason. Vincent skated wonderfully today and has great potential, but he has no senior international experience and still appears a little juniorish, imo, which is to be expected given his age and experience. Jason can create a magical moment and move the judges and audience like no other, even w a lower technical content, as shown by his fourth place finish in his last worlds outing. He was awesome today. For him to skate like he did under the circumstances demonstrates that he is a great competitor and can rise to the occasion under pressure and less than ideal training. Given his current condition, I think two months time is enough for him to be in great shape for worlds. I've no doubt he will do everything in his power to help US get three OG spots.

cptnhastings

On the Ice
Vincent Zhou not on World team? :sad21: :sad21: :sad21: :sad21: :sad21: :sad21: :sad21: :sad21: :sad21: :sad21:

The ice network twitter page says: "As we await the announcement of the U.S. men's world team, a reminder: Vincent Zhou does not have the technical minimums to go to worlds."

Eislauf

On the Ice
Not sure about this. Will Jason be 100% at Worlds and if he is can he land a quad which he will need?

I hear you. He's only landed one just once in competition, and that was at friendly Skate America way back in the Fall. He's been injured since then, so hasn't been training it. To be able to pull it out in the high stress World Champs? When he may not be 100% healed? I'd say the odds don't favor it.

Edit: as bobbob points out , Brown's quad was UR and unratified.

Last edited:

Eislauf

On the Ice
The ice network twitter page says: "As we await the announcement of the U.S. men's world team, a reminder: Vincent Zhou does not have the technical minimums to go to worlds."

Ok, so it seems they're saying "Vincent Zhou should go but we're choosing (quad-less, injured) Jason because Zhou doesn't have min. TES ". They anticipate that choosing Brown over Zhou would be controversial.

Last edited:

bobbob

Medalist
Is everyone forgetting that the "quad" in Skate America was not ratified as a quad and was underrotated???

Jason Brown has never landed a quadruple in any sort of competition.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Ok, so they're basically saying "Vincent Zhou should go but we're choosing (quad-less, injured) Jason because Zhou doesn't have min. TES.

And there's a reason for that: They had sent to Vincent to Golden Spin of Zagreb and he had to pull out after the SP because of injury. So it's not like Jason was the only one who was injured.

padme21

On the Ice
I think that sending Vincent and Nathan to Worlds was our best shot at regaining 3 spots for the Olympics. I'm a huge Jason Brown fan but he has no consistent quad. He quad isn't reliable at all. Vincent while young and inexperienced has reliable quads and he's got so much room to grow at just 16! There's more competition than ever in the men's field especially at worlds and Jason without a quad or rather a reliable quad will be buried I fear.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Ok, so it seems they're saying "Vincent Zhou should go but we're choosing (quad-less, injured) Jason because Zhou doesn't have min. TES ". They anticipate that choosing Brown over Zhou would be controversial.

Isn't there a way for Vincent to get the min TES. I guess they can't use this one because it's not international but, can't he get the number at 4CC?

Eislauf

On the Ice
And there's a reason for that: They had sent to Vincent to Golden Spin of Zagreb and he had to pull out after the SP because of injury. So it's not like Jason was the only one who was injured.

Yes but look who just skated better at US Nats, won the silver medal behind our new superstar Nathan Chen, and cranked out multiple quads and triples: Vincent Zhou.

bobbob

Medalist

What's your point?...both were injured at some point in the season, yes...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yes but look who just skated better at US Nats, won the silver medal behind our new superstar Nathan Chen, and cranked out multiple quads and triples: Vincent Zhou.

Hey I didn't make the decision. I personally would have been fine the other way too. But the question is whether he could replace that performance/score internationally. Even when he was still working on the quad and not getting full credit he was getting overall scores of 170-180. NHK was the only place he didn't and we know that was likely due to the injury.

What's your point?...both were injured at some point in the season, yes...

Point is what's not to say that Jason could show the same progress post-injury?

Last edited:

frida80

Record Breaker
Vincent wasn't chosen because Jason competed so soon after his recovery. They ironically got the same score in the free. They probably figure that a healthy Jason will score higher than an inexperienced Vincent. But I think that it's fantastic that there are more young Quadsters coming up the ranks.