2017 U.S. Nationals Championship Men SP | Page 45 | Golden Skate

2017 U.S. Nationals Championship Men SP

mrrice

Record Breaker
Really? Rohene choreography other skaters programs, like Courtney Hicks, and I don't see them getting a PCS bump.

Well, I think there's quite a big spread in the way that Jason is able to execute Rohene's Choreography. I really like Courtney's skating. In fact, she was my "Upset Special" here at Nationals and I really like her programs. To me, Jason has a special quality that most skaters don't. His falling leafs are spectacular as are his moves in the field. They are intricate, musical, and in most cases, well executed. His flexibility is infused with strength and control and I think that's why his PCS numbers are always at or near the top. The fact that he has Rohene as a full time coach as opposed to just a choreographer makes a big difference.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Really? Rohene choreography other skaters programs, like Courtney Hicks, and I don't see them getting a PCS bump.

Well, I think there's quite a big spread in the way that Jason is able to execute Rohene's Choreography. I really like Courtney's skating. In fact, she was my "Upset Special" here at Nationals and I really like her programs. To me, Jason has a special quality that most skaters don't. His falling leafs are spectacular as are his moves in field. They are intricate, musical, and in most cases, well executed. His flexibility is infused with strength and control and I think that's why his PCS numbers are always at or near the top. The fact that he has Rohene as a full time coach as opposed to just a choreographer makes a big difference.

I agree with all this, but my point is I don't think having a "brand-name" coach/choreographer is contributing to PCS boosts. :)

Sloopy

On the Ice
Back on the board since Wednesday and see that the comments have sunken to a new level. Why do posters feel the need to trash one skater to prop up another. It's a sad state of affairs when someone called FlattFan has an issue with judges supposedly "propping" up a skater even though that skater has a proven track record. Definitely has an agenda in this thread and it isn't constructive.

The long program hasn't even began and the negativity is entrenched in this thread. USFSA has to do what's best for the team. If that is sending Jason Brown after he's had 2 months to heal, so be it. He scores well internationally in PCS even when he doesn't have a good day. His skating skills aren't all of a sudden going to become non-existent.

The United States has to get the three spots back for next year and they cannot take a risk as in years past. See post 2010 Olympics if you want to revisit those years.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Back on the board since Wednesday and see that the comments have sunken to a new level. Why do posters feel the need to trash one skater to prop up another. It's a sad state of affairs when someone called FlattFan has an issue with judges supposedly "propping" up a skater even though that skater has a proven track record. Definitely has an agenda in this thread and it isn't constructive.

The long program hasn't even began and the negativity is entrenched in this thread. USFSA has to do what's best for the team. If that is sending Jason Brown after he's had 2 months to heal, so be it. He scores well internationally in PCS even when he doesn't have a good day. His skating skills aren't all of a sudden going to become non-existent.

The United States has to get the three spots back for next year and they cannot take a risk as in years past. See post 2010 Olympics if you want to revisit those years.

Completely agree. I am far from Nathan Chen's biggest fan, but even I can acknowledge what he does well. And if he helps us get three spots, bless.

Jason Brown is a seasoned skater with excellent performance skills that international judges reward accordingly. IMHO, he is the steeliest competitor of the lot, skating while obviously still injured, or recovering, and doing what he does so well.

Some folks just like to hear themselves say negative things and then convince themselves that they are just being "real" or that they are "tough". Yeah, right,:confused2:

Carry on.

jace93

On the Ice
Yes, anything can happen in the free. However, Nathan without push and reputation beat a clean Shoma with 3 quads 2 3As in the LP. With push, and coming into the free in 2nd place, it is really impossible for a clean Shoma to beat a clean Nathan.
Same story with Fernandez. I think an absolute perfect Fernandez with 3 quads will beat a clean Nathan with 4 quads, but barely. If Nathan goes for 5 quads, Fernandez has no chance.

That's why I said hypothetically speaking, a clean Nathan will get silver regardless of others. Probably gold.

A practically perfect Fernandez scored 216 and something at last year worlds... that's not a score Nathan can surpass right now...

Whoever is in first or second after tomorrow' performances, send them.

If the USFSA does anything else they are only outsmarting themselves.

Icey

Record Breaker
I wonder how much longer before a quad is a required element in the SP? How long did it take for the 3axel to become a required jump?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I wonder how much longer before a quad is a required element in the SP? How long did it take for the 3axel to become a required jump?

Still isn't. 2A or 3A is fine for SP. I don't see the rule changing anytime soon.....

zschultz1986

Final Flight
PCS should ONLY be affected by the execution of technical elements, and only in one area (Performance/Execution). Just because someone does harder technical content does NOT mean their Skating Skills, Transitions, Choreography, or Interpretation are better. I am so tired of this crap. They already get more points in TES, where jumps are counted.

There is only ONE area in PCS that should be affected by falls, if everything else is done to the same level that they normally do it.

Giving people the scores they deserve is not promoting people. Get over yourselves.

LunchLady

Spectator
I live in the KC area and considered purchasing tickets to all events. After what I have seen on television, I am glad I did not spend any money on this year's Championships. I have seen nothing but awful skating, especially among the men. Not a single one of them has been able to stay on their feet. And I cannot believe the awful, absolutely awful showing from the pairs. So far, Men's Long Program has been terrible. The U.S. FSA seriously needs to consider why US skaters cannot seem to compete at an elite level any more.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I live in the KC area and considered purchasing tickets to all events. After what I have seen on television, I am glad I did not spend any money on this year's Championships. I have seen nothing but awful skating, especially among the men. Not a single one of them has been able to stay on their feet. And I cannot believe the awful, absolutely awful showing from the pairs. So far, Men's Long Program has been terrible. The U.S. FSA seriously needs to consider why US skaters cannot seem to compete at an elite level any more.

I could not disagree more, but....

If you are watching the *men's* LP could I please have the lottery numbers for tomorrow as well?:biggrin:

zschultz1986

Final Flight

1. You're watching the first flights. This is how it is in ALL nations, and probably worse in some.

2. Obviously, you haven't seen the cream of the crop of the men. Nathan is top 5, no sweat, a medal threat if he skates clean at Worlds. Other new seniors are doing Quads, and healthy Jason/Adam are surefire top 10 skaters when clean.

3. The US Men are -arugably- the second best nation when it comes to men. Japan is far and away the best. Russia and Canada are either even or behind the US men.

noskates

Record Breaker
Don't ever count Jason out. He may not be the "in" kid this year but there's uber talent there. Regardless of some naysayers on this board.

LunchLady

Spectator
Just realized I was watching the Short Program from yesterday again. And they are just as bad today as they were yesterday.:eeking:

LunchLady

Spectator
I have been to several Championship events including an Olympics and a Worlds. So I know a little bit what it is all about. And this is by far the absolute worst I have ever seen from U.S. men. Pairs has typically been bad with a few exceptions but yesterday was about as bad as it gets. If subpar performances are the future of figure skating in the quest for ever more technical programs that fail to deliver I see a slow demise of this sport. Nobody wants to pay to attend events where the "pros" do nothing but fall on their behinds, skate slow, and have no artistry at all except for the flailing and flinging of arms and hands.

noskates

Record Breaker
Wow - I'm sure glad I don't agree with you. I haven't been to the Olympics but I've been to several Worlds, quite a few Nationals, and as I said earlier - the ice is slippery. The US has a lot of talent, a lot of talent coming up, and there's a whole year before the Olympics. The US has been plagued with injuries in every discipline except ice dance (unless I've missed something) You can't compete to your highest level with injuries, while trying to recover from an injury, or illness. Those things are out of the skater's control.

I will continue to attend as many competitions as I can afford - 2018 Nationals being the next one.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I have been to several Championship events including an Olympics and a Worlds. So I know a little bit what it is all about. And this is by far the absolute worst I have ever seen from U.S. men. Pairs has typically been bad with a few exceptions but yesterday was about as bad as it gets. If subpar performances are the future of figure skating in the quest for ever more technical programs that fail to deliver I see a slow demise of this sport. Nobody wants to pay to attend events where the "pros" do nothing but fall on their behinds, skate slow, and have no artistry at all except for the flailing and flinging of arms and hands.

LunchLady, welcome to Golden Skate. It's clear you feel very strongly about your opinion. I hope you will find something in figure skating that brings you joy.

TMC

Record Breaker
Wow. This board is becoming a nasty place. Better take a break before I find myself hating figure skating, too :(