2017 World Ladies SP | Page 104 | Golden Skate

2017 World Ladies SP

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Tech panel is either totally blind or extremely pro-USA because neither Wagner nor Chen got any URs here. One could think these championships are skated in US again. Most laughable tech panel I have seen for a while. They are really pushing for three spots for US for next season.

Wagner's EXTREMELY clear URs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUClVEc6vig#t=4m17s

Chen's clear UR.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzKjxe90Yuc#t=4m31s

I think I remember Vanessa Gusmeroli's calls being sort of being notorious for the hilarity on the forums. As for the other two on the panel, who knows why they decided to be super lenient.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Happy with the skaters above Kostner, but not those who are below her that should be above her.
So you only have a problem with Kostner's ranking, glad we sorted that out. In which place would you have her? Throwing cabbage for 1-2 points only seems a bit severe to me. We still have the FS.

DiamondDust

Final Flight
Alright so hmmm... some short thoughts...

Carolina... despite those minor mistakes, it's such a wonderful thing watching her skate. :)

Elizabet... for something upbeat nice skate overall imo. Once again, brought smile to my face.

Evegenia... Not really a fan of her skating but overall she delivered. Good for her.

Gabrielle... A wonderful skate. Nice speed, jumps and stsq. Wish she does well at the Free.

Ashley... hmm, I think she did okay but err... I doubt she'll podium this year. :palmf:

Maria... to be honest, I was kind of bored watching her program.Her expression too is just flat. And this program is just not my cup of tea.

Rika... she's the lowest TES of the final group, but nonetheless she delivered the intensity of this program.

Anna
... Wonderful skate overall. Would've loved her to place higher though. :)

The final group did deliver the goods tonight (the stand outs for me were Gabby and Anna). Other skaters who I thought did also well were Ivett Toth, Isadora Williams, Wakaba Higuchi and Kaetlyn Osmond. I feel for Zijun for placing that low.

Goodluck to the qualified at the Free. :hap10:

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just don't really understand the 3 point difference in between evgenia and her small jumps and Kaetlyn and her monstrous jumps. Also the 1.5 point gap in pcs??? Do not agree... Kaetlyn ice coverage speed and line is wayyyyy better than evgenia IMO

It's there. She has an an obscene amount of attention to detail and not even the slightest bobble. We don't have to like the programs but she is a solid rock that doesn't seem to make errors. Kaetlyn gets away with a flutz so let's not criticize too much considering if that were called she could lose 3pts in TES right there although Zhenia flutzes too just slightly less noticeably. Should I break out the Jumpamatron :laugh:

I vastly prefer Kaetlyn's program to Zhenia but that's just my personal preference. My last girlfriend urged me to unfriend Kaetlyn on Instsgram because she was too pretty and too high on my previous searches so maybe I'm a bit sweet on Kaetlyn too :laugh:

Last edited:

risingtrot

On the Ice
Anyone knows who the judges are? Particularly J1 and J8?

I think everyone did relatively quite well. Not so much pops and falls. I think the competition is just much more intense now compared to previous seasons. I still don't understand some of the judging/UR calls though but that will always be a given. Hope everyone will do their best on the free skate! And judging to be a bit fair.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I don't know about Karen's -3T. In real time I thought it was UR but it actually looked better in slow motion. Her spiral gives me life. I'm just so happy she's finally skating to her potential.

And I am sad for Wakaba but her LP is strong, I think she can still pull off a strong finish.

I'm still predicting Anna for silver but I hope Kaetlyn can hang on for a medal- she's a strong SP skater but I want to see her perform her LP to her potential.

I love Ashley but she seemed nervous to me and this SP is not as strong as last years. She was probably gifted a little on this one but I won't complain too much because I thought she was underscored last year. She's in a good spot because she is an LP skater and likes to come from behind.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I kind of agree although her 3Lz even in the 1st half scores higher then Meds 3LO in the 2nd half - so she is fine with that. But if she can move her combo to the 2nd half she would have higher BV then Med and probably even higher TES!
But one judge really hammered Osmond in PCS given her several marks in the 7s - which is just crazy!

Yup That is the British judge.

Here are all the judges
http://static.isu.org/media/1093/2027-list-officials-fs-id-sys-2016-2017_updated-oct-6-rev.pdf

Mind you, he also scored Kostner 6.75 for transitions :laugh:

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
It's there. She has an an obscene amount of attention to detail and not even the slightest bobble. We don't have to like the programs but she is a solid rock that doesn't seem to make errors. Kaetlyn gets away with a flutz so let's not criticize too much considering if that were called she could lose 3pts in TES right there although Zhenia flutes too just less noticeably. Should I break out the Jumpamatron :laugh:

I vastly prefer Kaetlyn's program to Zhenia but that's just my personal preference. My last girlfriend urged me to unfriendly Kaetlyn on Instsgram because she was too pretty and too high on my previous searches :laugh:

your last gf is not nice ;)

andromache

Record Breaker
Ashley's and Karen's were borderline, I guess. There was a close landing by Maria as well, IIRC. NONE of the ladies in the top had any obvious URs. Remember there's a quarter-rotation leeway they get?

Considering the pre-rotation that others get away with, I think it all comes out fairly equal.

But sure, let's assume everything is based on nationality.

ETA: Anna's -3T also seemed borderline. It's not just the Americans who benefit from a lenient panel. (Plus Kaetlyn's flutz).

Last edited:

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Actually surprised to see Karen scored fairly and not held down. If she backs up her SP with a clean LP like she did at Nationals, she'll move into the Olympic season as a US team favorite.

Not really fairly. She visible UR her triple toe in combination, which is not called at all... Scores for others were generally fine....

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Ashley's and Karen's were borderline, I guess. There was a close landing by Maria as well, IIRC. NONE of the ladies in the top had any obvious URs. Remember there's a quarter-rotation leeway they get?

Considering the pre-rotation that others get away with, I think it all comes out fairly equal.

But sure, let's assume everything is based on nationality.

i disagree... i don't see pre-rotation in Kaetlyn and Gabby's huge jumps.... so nope.. it's not fairly equal to everyone.

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
Score and Protocols thoughts:

Evgenia - scores too high, though she has improved on her smoothness and flow of skating, I really dont see anything worth a 9 Performance/Compositon/Interpretation. At most I would give mid-8s. Technicals all well done, especially the 3Lo. It was really really nice.

Kaetlyn - little bit too high on PCS, but TES should not be behind Evgenia. They should at least tie.

Gabby - just right.

Anna- just right. Too bad about the solo Loop, should start adding steps before it.

Karen - Just right. But the combo should've been called and the PCS should go up by a bit.

Maria - Ok I guess. I really dont feel much about her program.

Ashley - Bit high because the combo wasn't called. Dont see much difference. She doesn't seem to be able to catch up with the music and rhythm in the Step sequence.

Carolina - Just right.

Wakaba - Bit low. Should score much higher in PCS, deserves at least 32.

Elizabet - Bit low. Should score higher in PCS too.

Dabin - Low on PCS.

RIka - Bit low. Deserves more PCS.

Mariah - Ok.

Ivett - Ok.

Mai - Ok. too bad about the flip though. It could really make a difference had she landed it...

Zijun - TOOOOO LOW. WHAT THE HELL ARE THE JUDGES THINKING????? She deserves at least mid 7s on her PCS!!! Jesus...

Honestly I thought the judges are gonna hold tight on the PCS today before the last two or three groups...but well, anyway, I am just happy for RIka that she managed to do a nice program and not letting her nerves murder her.

Last edited:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
GOEs among the top 3 ladies are interesting to me:

Evgenia and Kaetlyn got virtually the same GOEs for jumps. 1.80 for the combo (Arm variation vs. Huge height/distance) and 1.40 for the solo (Arm variation vs. Huge height/distance), and 1.00 for 2A (again, Arm variation vs. Huge height/distance).

Gaby's 3T+3T got the perfect score of (8) 3 and (1) 2, beating the top two.

Their Stsqs all got lv 4 and GOE of 1.80, 1.50, 1.30 respectively. (ref: Anna lv4 1.60 and Caro lv4 1.50)

For the solo jump Zhenya doesn't have the arm but she does more transitions in and out kaetlyn, that's why goes are the same.

https://youtu.be/lu70_izQlp4?t=140
https://youtu.be/7UTaaMqtUEQ?t=60

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Tech panel is either totally blind or extremely pro-USA because neither Wagner nor Chen got any URs here. One could think these championships are skated in US again. Most laughable tech panel I have seen for a while. They are really pushing for three spots for US for next season.

Wagner's EXTREMELY clear URs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUClVEc6vig#t=4m17s

Chen's clear UR.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzKjxe90Yuc#t=4m31s

I'm glad Chen had her breakthrough SP (and let's be honest, the rest of that SP was world-class... that spiral sequence... guh!)... but she totally underrotated that 3T.

Wagner is my girl, but the tech spec was way too lenient... one, if not both, her -3T and 3L were UR.... at least her GOE wasn't boosted, so it kinda balanced out. Her being under 70, I assumed it was due to underrotation. 69 points was about right for that skate, although if the URs were called, she'd be in around 10th.

Really pushing for 3 spots indeed.

Daniel1998

Final Flight
Replayed the slow mo in slow mo. Ashley's flip and toe are both suspect but not obviously underrotated.
Karen Chen's was clear as day, nearly half a turn under. Why that wasn't called is mind-boggling.