2018 Europeans Gala | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2018 Europeans Gala

MelDee

Final Flight
Great quality !!! many thanks
Do you have one for this year exhibition commented by british eurosport and / or us commentary ? I was not able to find one ?

Unfortunately, I haven't found a B.ESP version of their EX this season, which is mainly due to the issue with Beyoncé's music being copyrighted. Most of the uploads of G&G's Beyoncé EX get blocked immediately.

ejnsofi

Final Flight
Is this from a WWII movie? I don't understand a word but the melody and passion in the song immediately draw me in. Definitely will download the song and play it in my car. :luv17:

Yes. It's from Russian movie "Battle of sevastopol" which describes the life of Lyudmila Pavlichenko

mige

Rinkside
You can click on subtitles in English :) (Though I have no idea how accurate that translation is)

Hannah555

Ava artwork by talented ShampooNeko
Final Flight
Is this from a WWII movie? I don't understand a word but the melody and passion in the song immediately draw me in. Definitely will download the song and play it in my car. :luv17:
I want to add something. It's a cover to WWII movie but the original song has more deep meaning and wasnt written about world war but about personal battle against unfair system. It was performed by Viktor Tsoi before his tragic death at the end of Soviet Union period and the meaning was what road each individual takes - to fight the system for freedom or to stay silent....

Thats why Zhenya doesnt have any war costume because she talks about personal fight.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
I want to add something. It's a cover to WWII movie but the original song has more deep meaning and wasnt written about world war but about personal battle against unfair system. It was performed by Viktor Tsoi before his tragic death at the end of Soviet Union period and the meaning was what road each individual takes - to fight the system for freedom or to stay silent....

Thats why Zhenya doesnt have any war costume because she talks about personal fight.
You have to stretch the meaning of that song pretty far to make it about fighting the system. Not all '80s Russian rock was automatically about that. Tsoi in particular tended to write about things that were more personal to him. He had a number of songs which were about fragility of life, death, war - in essence anti-war (not any particular war but war as a concept). Which is what Cuckoo is. He was somewhat preoccupied with the topic of untimely death in general, which is ironic because he died young in a car accident.

Hannah555

Final Flight
You have to stretch the meaning of that song pretty far to make it about fighting the system. Not all '80s Russian rock was automatically about that. Tsoi in particular tended to write about things that were more personal to him. He had a number of songs which were about fragility of life, death, war - in essence anti-war (not any particular war but war as a concept). Which is what Cuckoo is. He was somewhat preoccupied with the topic of untimely death in general, which is ironic because he died young in a car accident.
I dont know about all 80s russian rock but I was crazy in love with this specific song in school so I read all I could about it. There are many personal thoughts in his lyrics : about death and life, about time (thats why cuckoo) and fate, but also about freedom and his generation especially at the end of this song. You cant deny it because it's too strong and I kind of feel that thats the reason why it was so popular. And I dont think that he talked about a real war but more about fight of every person in his life for smth bigger and more important than personal interests.
Off course anyone can interpret this song differently - that's the purpose of real art and poetry.
I just wanted to mention that it was taken as a cover for war movie but Zhenya's interpretation is not about war...

vorravorra

Record Breaker
I dont know about all 80s russian rock but I was crazy in love with this specific song in school so I read all I could about it. There are many personal thoughts in his lyrics : about death and life, about time (thats why cuckoo) and fate, but also about freedom and his generation especially at the end of this song. You cant deny it because it's too strong and I kind of feel that thats the reason why it was so popular. And I dont think that he talked about a real war but more about fight of every person in his life for smth bigger and more important than personal interests.
Off course anyone can interpret this song differently - that's the purpose of real art and poetry.
I just wanted to mention that it was taken as a cover for war movie but Zhenya's interpretation is not about war...
Which part at the end are you talking about?

Tsoi said explicitly that he didn't write about "current affairs". There were those who did, like Shevchuk (DDT) or (partly) Grebenschikov (Akvarium). The closest he came to creating something like that was Changes, and that to him was more about personal struggles than politics, although it was interpreted differently by the majority and turned into an anthem. And he isn't really the best artist to go to for heroic struggles for things that are bigger than personal interests, he was wary of all things big and heroic. His song being made into a cover for a war movie is dubious to begin with since he couldn't be further away from glorifying war, death, victory etc. War for him was an endless futile cycle that humanity was caught in. And Cuckoo was a far more contemplative song in the original than what Polina Gagarina turned it into.

But this is getting really off-topic.

NicolettaL

Final Flight
Valentina and Ondrej? Seeing them lately, I wonder how they would look like with Prince medley program made e.g. by Rohene...

I would gladly launch a petition for them to do Big Spender. Hocke/Blommaert have it for the SP and they skated right before the Italians. Vale played along to Ondrej for it, and I loooooooved it so much that I would want to see the full program.

Hannah555

Final Flight
Which part at the end are you talking about?

Tsoi said explicitly that he didn't write about "current affairs". There were those who did, like Shevchuk (DDT) or (partly) Grebenschikov (Akvarium). The closest he came to creating something like that was Changes, and that to him was more about personal struggles than politics, although it was interpreted differently by the majority and turned into an anthem. And he isn't really the best artist to go to for heroic struggles for things that are bigger than personal interests, he was wary of all things big and heroic. His song being made into a cover for a war movie is dubious to begin with since he couldn't be further away from glorifying war, death, victory etc. War for him was an endless futile cycle that humanity was caught in. And Cuckoo was a far more contemplative song in the original than what Polina Gagarina turned it into.

But this is getting really off-topic.

Changes were written not about politics at all. I know.

But I didn't find any his own comments about "the cuckoo" meaning as it was written too close to his death.

The last words of the song :
"Where are you now, freedom of will?
With who are you now
Greeting the gentle sunrise? Answer."

Most people interpret it in a way that no one in Russia that time felt free. But he only asks questions and never tells anyone what to do. He himself didn't want to fight but "My palm has turned to a fist." so he felt like he was fighting with life and with current system all the time. And he felt very alone in this fight.
Tsoi doesn't have any right or wrong answers. Everyone should find them alone.

Off course it's only interpretation. We will never know what he thought unfortunately like with most poetry.

Sorry for off-topic.

I saw some comments on YT about Zhenya not being dressed as a soldier and that's why I tried to explain the original meaning.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For me her costume isn't functional. It's winky, as cutouts usually are. My brain can't help but look at things from an analytical point of view and it bugs that a 15-year old has the capacity to give consent to having images of her body out there like that. Crazy as it sounds if she decides to become a private individual in 2 years it can't be taken back.

Selling sensuality and sex is a part of performance and I think it is very beautiful and human but I like to make sure that the parties doing it are adults and have done so knowingly. This is very much one where mileage varies. :slink:

That program (and costume) is embarrassing and totally inappropriate for a 15 year old. I hope she changes it before the Olympics.

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
The first hour of the gala was a bit boring. The roll call did not featured all the skaters that were listed in the program and I was nervous that some of my faves might be missing. I don't know what had happened, but the traffic outside was in a bit of a chaos with snow and all people arriving at the rink at exactly the same time - the bus from the official hotel could have been delayed? I ended up walking from the metro station as the bus to the rink was already packed when it came to my stop. And I was at the rink BEFORE the bus...

The first hour was a bit of a drag apart from the Russian kids who started. Artur Danilyan was better with his movement and finish than Samarin and just a huge joy to watch! I was so happy that they had decided to invite Alena Kostornaia to the gala bcs I really was curious to see how she would be live. And by Jove, she was every bit as good as on tv. Beautiful finish, actual running edges for the jumps and just a complete package at her tender age! Sotskova is worth mentioning bcs of course her Kalinka brought the house down and it is nice to see her showing a bit of personality and flair.

The second hour was surprisingly entertaining and varied - at least the music choices were more interesting than usually. Only part of the Russians had apparently received the memo about using Russian music. Alexandra Trusova seemed far younger and less interesting live, the program is borderline inappropriate for a girl her age. The hard rock kid was again way better than Samarin but not as interesting as Artur.

It was cool to Medvedeva skate to that piece and be a bit edgy. The exhibition programs give her a bit of space and time to finish movement and show her edges and flow. Valentina and Ondrej could make the dead wake up when they are on ice - also in the competition. The Barbie program is not one of my faves but they sure milked every bit of audience favor with it!! Kostner's version of her last year's SP just did not work very well, too stationary, not enough to the rhythm of the piece.

Zagitova's choice for EX is still a little baffling. Maybe they are trying to develop her movement further, but she has absolutely no resemblance to how a big cat moves. She barely qualifies for a clumsy kitten. The music is bold, but not really obviously connected with the theme, and in the end a bit jarring to listen to.

Papadakis and Cizeron was almost completely missed bcs I was just watching Javi prepare for his part 😍 Black Betty was a nice surprise - I had expected Danny Boy - but he had obviously begun to forget how it went. The jumps were the most amazing of the evening and I still love that spreadeagle entry the loop. The 3A was just about perfect. And then he trips on his feet and misses the cue for the third jump and the rest was him hilariously trying to come up with things to do to somehow finish with music 😂

The finale with Kalinka was better than many others I have seen - it was really a bit of choreo with Javi given the extra spotlight those lighter than a feather feet fully deserve! (Not to mention the six European golds.)

Then we walked back to the metro station through the dark and slippery streets and these Europeans were over.

qwertyskates

Medalist
Wow! :love:Thank you! I'm learning so much about Viktor Tsoi (ah, Med chose a Korean-Russian musician for Korean audience...) or Kino the band, it reminds me of old school punk rock. why don't Russian skaters skate to their music? It's much better than skating to Elvis or House of Rising Sun type of rock.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Stephane did a beautiful program for Yulia. Many of them do use non-Russian choreographers like Misha Ge, Benoit Richaud, etc. I don't know what his team is thinking.

Wooow, I love Evgenia's ex! :love: A fitting ballad for the ultimate fighter. And those leather pants are hot!
I really enjoyed Evgenia's exhibition too. Feisty and much more compelling than usual, I was drawn in and surprised all the way through. I want to see competitive program close to that.