2018 Grand Prix Final Pairs Short Program | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2018 Grand Prix Final Pairs Short Program

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
I honestly don't understand why people are so horrified that Z/E are so close P/J. Z/E performed the vast majority of their elements really well today and they also performed the program itself really well (I don't think anyone can accuse them of not selling it enough). You can hate the concept of the program, that I understand, as most seem to really dislike it, but both technically and performance-wise Z/E did their part.

I thought Zabiiako/Enbert performed well and deserve to be in second, but like others, I'm just confused about how they earned higher PCS than Peng/Jin here. I find these two teams to be very even across the components

Today, i liked Zabiiako/Enbert the most. They deserved the highest PCS in my opinion (well, they almost got it :agree:). Its strange to see people criticize tackiness and kitchiness of Russians programs and they dont see that with Chinese one... I mean if blowing kisses is not tacky i dont know what else is :biggrin:

Oh it's kitschy all right. The difference for me is that P/J lean much more into it, embrace it, and showcase a charming chemistry throughout. In other words, they commit to and perform the kitschiness and that makes all the difference for me. Same with Z/E - they commit to what the program is. Tarasova/Morozov though, are a crazy talented team with beautiful elements (they blow me away live) who have moments of fun in a program that needs to be performed all-out

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Today, i liked Zabiiako/Enbert the most. They deserved the highest PCS in my opinion (well, they almost got it :agree:). Its strange to see people criticize tackiness and kitchiness of Russians programs and they dont see that with Chinese one... I mean if blowing kisses is not tacky i dont know what else is :biggrin:

There are big differences between kitsch and camp. Kitsch is a knowing and loving embrace of the tacky and reveling in it. Camp is more about someone not realizing and/'or acknowledging the tackiness or awkwardness of something but thinking it's High Quality. P/J is knowingly and affectionately kitsch. Z/E is definitely camp.

That's not my definition. That's from Susan Sontag's landmark essay "Notes on Camp." Sontag says camp exists in the space between the intention and the result.

And I loves me some camp.

bobbob

Medalist

There's nothing wrong with being kitchy...it's the lack of choreography and really mediocre skating skills...the Chinese have better choreography and interpretation, and Tarasova/Morosov have better skating skills. I would still give the highest PCS to Tarasova/Morosov.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
There are big differences between kitsch and camp. Kitsch is a knowing and loving embrace of the tacky and reveling in it. Camp is more about someone not realizing and/'or acknowledging the tackiness or awkwardness of something but thinking it's High Quality. P/J is knowingly and affectionately kitsch. Z/E is definitely camp.

That's not my definition. That's from Susan Sontag's landmark essay "Notes on Camp." Sontag says camp exists in the space between the intention and the result.

And I loves me some camp.

Well, i think camp can be valued a lot more, kitch not so much... Did you read 'Camp: The lie that tells the truth' by Philipe Core? Its a book which try to explain it :biggrin:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Finally watched it. I'm so happy for Peng/Jin! :love: The only team that skated so clean and they were rewarded :hap10: