2018 Rostelecom Cup Pairs Short Program | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2018 Rostelecom Cup Pairs Short Program

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
On the other hand, you must admit that music for their FP is very serious, so they have to ballance it with something lighter :)

There are more records than any human can listen to in one lifetime. They have NO feel for RnB or Soul. None. Zip. Last year should have told them that. Why not find a nice upbeat pop or rock or club song? There are thousands and thousands and thousands to choose from.

champagnerain

Final Flight
On the other hand, you must admit that music for their FP is very serious, so they have to ballance it with something lighter :)

I agree, but...there must be a way to pick a song that he doesn't look annoyed to be skating to, right? Or maybe he just hates everything upbeat. :palmf:

I just think their serious programs fit them so much better.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't know about others, but I don't dig the music either... Much better costumes though.

As I watched T/M today, I wondered if they didn't choose this music as just a teeny bit of stubbornness,:devil: because they got criticized everywhere for Candyman. Or, they're just determined to grow beyond what everyone can see is their natural strength and style. Well, I far prefer classical for them, but I did enjoy the performance today. :)

s_parks

Record Breaker
If Boikova/Kozlovskii keep delivering, they'll be the new Russian no. 1 in the future. Seriously, what would Russian pairs be without Moskvina? T/M should have moved to her years ago, but obviously they chose to miss that bus.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
THIS SO MUCH. They have such a refined, sophisticated, classical style that they can do so well. I don't understand why their team is trying to fit a round peg into a square hole with some of these programs. Just let them be great! I'm not saying every program has to look the same but just...not this. Lightness is not synonymous with cheese.

I really hope their free program is the direction they choose for the future because it's a million times better and more suited to them.

Though at least these costumes are 8000% better than Candyman.

It is my dream (I already voiced it in another thread) to see them skating a nice, classical short to 'Valse Sentimentale' by Tchaikovski

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
There are more records than any human can listen to in one lifetime. They have NO feel for RnB or Soul. None. Zip. Last year should have told them that. Why not find a nice upbeat pop or rock or club song? There are thousands and thousands and thousands to choose from.

You know what I think they could do well if they insist on skating to catchy upbeat songs? Caro Emerald. A lot of her songs have a nice electro swing vibe without being over the top and cheesy. Savchenko/Massot popularized That Man but I can see T/M doing something like Back It Up or A Night Like This.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
You know what I think they could do well if they insist on skating to catchy upbeat songs? Caro Emerald. A lot of her songs have a nice electro swing vibe without being over the top and cheesy. Savchenko/Massot popularized That Man but I can see T/M doing something like Back It Up or A Night Like This.

As for more dynamic repertoire, they could pull off maybe 'Dark Eyes' or 'Padam, padam' by Piaf...Something that is not that overpowering by the music itself, to give a structure and that base to fill out, not an overfill...

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
As for more dynamic repertoire, they could pull off maybe 'Dark Eyes' or 'Padam, padam' by Piaf...Something that is not that overpowering by the music itself, to give a structure and that base to fill out, not an overfill...

Oh, those are good suggestions! Someone get Trankov on the line (I don't trust Mozer's artistic choices...not with that mullet).

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I agree, but...there must be a way to pick a song that he doesn't look annoyed to be skating to, right? Or maybe he just hates everything upbeat. :palmf:

I just think their serious programs fit them so much better.

I agree, they both look like quite serious people even during interviews, but having two deep heavy programs would be probably too much. And still, however I feel this is not their style of music, it wasn't distracting for me to that level that I wouldn't enjoy it, if not anything other than at least their phenomenal technical abilities.

rachno2

Record Breaker
If Boikova/Kozlovskii keep delivering, they'll be the new Russian no. 1 in the future. Seriously, what would Russian pairs be without Moskvina? T/M should have moved to her years ago, but obviously they chose to miss that bus.

I prefer Moskvina's pairs, but Mozer has definitely been more successful over the past two quads. B/K are Moskvina's most promising team since Kavaguti/Smirnov, who never really lived up to their potential :cry: So I don't blame the top pairs for going to Elton John.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker

Bingo. That kind of neo-Swing would work so much better for them, but only if Mr M committed to having something even resembling a facial expression. Heck, a friend of mine just sent me an entire album of vintage American country songs with some naughty lyrics (the album is called She's Selling What She Used to Give Away) that would really be fun.

But none of it will work unless they both commit to showing an emotional response to the music.

pearly

Record Breaker
I wonder if that big "WHAT??" on Ashley Cain's face was positive or negative surprise. Any thoughts?

Great skate for Tarasova and Morozov. This music is great compared to what they've had in the past.

gold12345

Medalist
Have you heard the saying "If it weren't for the hundred years' war, it was a great century"? haha. But it wasn't that bad. Seriously, for Cain and Leduc to completely miss that throw, which was a complete fluke and never happens, but to get Level 3 twist for the first time, and positive Goe on it, and to have those SBS jumps so gorgeous and confident, it was great. Their SBS spins are great, and their lifts and steps, mmmmwwwah.

Cain/LeDuc's throw takeoff looked all wrong, but fortunately missing the throw entirely isn't much different points-wise than if they had fallen on it. Their twist was scored strangely. It was a low catch that lands somewhat on LeDuc's shoulder, yet it got the level for a clean catch even though they never get that level. And the GOE ranged from -2 to even a +3 GOE. So they got lucky there to at least keep their score in the upper 50s, which might allow them to move up from 7th with a better skate tomorrow.

I wonder if that big "WHAT??" on Ashley Cain's face was positive or negative surprise. Any thoughts?

Great skate for Tarasova and Morozov. This music is great compared to what they've had in the past.

I think Ashley was surprised the score was not worse. They caught a break with the technical panel somehow giving them Level 3 for their not-clean twist.

I appreciate that Tarasova and Morozov are trying to have contrast between their SP and LP music choices. Even if they don't really sell it, they are committed to not doing the same style every program. And of course they have the biggest and best elements in this field.

Fruitpie

On the Ice
Oh my god! I love new russian pairs this seson so much. They're so great and somehow look more interesting than "oldies" TM and ZE. To me.
But I still want to congratulate Maxim with TM's perfomance.

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
Good start for Della Monica/Guarise. I really hope we'll not see another disappointing free from them, they are so near to the final :pray:

On a side note, right now i have pick right my pairs prediction :thumbsup:

pesto

On the Ice
Maybe Bill and Fleur should dance to a cut from the Harry Potter soundtrack...

I thought they skated better today than in their previous outing with this music, but, meh, they should play to their considerable strengths, not have yet another year of everyone scratching their heads at their inexplicable choice for one of their programmes.

On the plus side, she looks gorgeous in that frock.