2018 US Championships Sr. Short Dance | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2018 US Championships Sr. Short Dance

mrrice

Record Breaker
The main consideration in choosing a site for Nationals, is to find a city/lpcal skating club that is willing to host it. It costs a lot of money and the organizers must devote countless hours to dashing about trying to round up local sponsors.

I remember at 2007 Nationals in Spokane, the State of Washington promised to contribute $100,000. But right then the bottom fell out of the U.S. economy, the State of Washington was teetering on the brink of bankruptcy, and the state legislature had to reneg on it's offer, leaving the local organizing committee holding the bag. This despite the fact that this Nationals set the all-time attendance record.

I agree...This is another reason why I think the DC area would be great. It might sound political but, there are very wealthy people in the area and I think you might find some donors who are willing to "Guarantee" the site. Remember, the Arena itself makes money from the ticket sales. Most of the food and drink vendors have paid the host to have their food stands in the arena and keep the money they make for themselves.

If a donor or business can promise to sell out the luxury boxes, that in itself will usually result in a profit for the host, no matter how many basic seats they sell.

Barb

Record Breaker
I hope we will get HQ videos. I can´t watch it live anyway, Maia and Alex are skating literally at the worst time of the day for me :disapp:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
humming 'Danza Kuduro' out loud while cleaning and starting a praying circle for some stream available outside of US and IN:ghug::laugh:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Nationals was in Cleveland in 2000 and 2009. :yes:

How about la Crosse or Green Bay Wisconsin? They have great Hockey in the area and it was fairly cheap back in the day. Have we ever had Nationals in Wisconsin? It's actually not that far from Chicago and it's another area where winter sports are popular.

WeirwoodTreeHugger

On the Ice
Every time Figure Skating or Gymnastics nationals comes to the Twin Cities I manage to miss it. Next time I'm determined to make it.

I think we're more suited for Gymnastics nationals though. People don't really want to travel to Minnesota in the winter and I can't say I blame them.

I may or may not be already cackling with glee at how cold the fans are going to be at the Super Bowl this year. Especially those who are coming here from warm states.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
While this discussion about Nationals is happening right now, I started to wonder (apologies, if the question is silly! ) - are there states/area in US that have significantly better/longer tradition in figure skating, where the popularity of it is stronger as a professional practiced discipline, or all US areas are equal in that matter? And does this popularity and high percentage of practicing FS has a lot to do with a champion being from that city/area? Thanks in advance for response from all knowledgeable people:thank:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Every time Figure Skating or Gymnastics nationals comes to the Twin Cities I manage to miss it. Next time I'm determined to make it.

I think we're more suited for Gymnastics nationals though. People don't really want to travel to Minnesota in the winter and I can't say I blame them.

I may or may not be already cackling with glee at how cold the fans are going to be at the Super Bowl this year. Especially those who are coming here from warm states.

This is why you have to have great "tail gators" in the parking lot!!! Okay....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krdo-2xRCgM

Flutz Capacitor

Rinkside
Are Hubbell and Donahue sick? I think I saw them signing autographs yesterday with masks on. Must not be too bad if they can still do publicity stuff.

Alifyre

On the Ice
Are Hubbell and Donahue sick? I think I saw them signing autographs yesterday with masks on. Must not be too bad if they can still do publicity stuff.

The flu has been going around the competition (I believe I saw that Karen Chen had it, among others) so I believe it was just a precaution against getting sick.

labgoat

Working on Costumes contest & REWATCHES
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What would be a nice place for figure skating ? Boston proved itself, I think Michigan would be great (next year I think ?). There are so many people ready to come to nationals, slight issue : this country is just too huge :laugh:

I am so excited that Nationals are in my hometown Detroit next year at our brand new arena. Last time we had Nationals there was the wack heard round the world.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I am so excited that Nationals are in my hometown Detroit next year at our brand new arena. Last time we had Nationals there was the wack heard round the world.

I’ll be there with a giant bag of dead octopuses to throw on the ice. :laugh2:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Can someone post the available streams when uhm available. Thanks!

And yes, A/E are back together. I always liked them but thought that they were never given the right material. I still think they're so American, so boy/girl next door, they should play to that with something like a Gershwin medley. Very American musical. Strike up the band!