2019 US Nationals Senior Ladies Free Skate | Page 27 | Golden Skate

2019 US Nationals Senior Ladies Free Skate

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Mariah has a bit of Sasha Cohen in her...

I've never see the similarity though. Sasha's trademarks are her flexibility and spins, plus the unique soothing quality in her skating. Unless the similarity means no 3-3??? They might have similar forehead, if I had to find some other things in common:palmf:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Anyone just go back and watch Alysa's FS to win Jrs last year? After winning intermediate, she just skipped novice.... ;)

AJVMSA8588

On the Ice
I've never see the similarity though. Sasha's trademarks are her flexibility and spins, plus the unique soothing quality in her skating. Unless the similarity means no 3-3??? They might have similar forehead, if I had to find some other things in common:palmf:

Longer leg lenth to torso ratio

I know she's 13, but she IS a really ugly crier. My god. I love her, but I wanted to tell her to shush in the K&C. That was some UGLY cryin'.

^ I think she got a one-point deduction. Something to work on for her next competition -- pretty up your crying in the Kiss and Smile. :yes:

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
I LIKED the crying. She's a youngster and they cry like that, no holds barred, it all comes out, no doubt about what they feel, refreshing, healing, cathartic. As adults we lose the ability to express joy and grief in that way, I think it is a gift to be able to cry just that way..

frida80

Record Breaker
Anyone just go back and watch Alysa's FS to win Jrs last year? After winning intermediate, she just skipped novice.... ;)
She's didn't skip Novice. She was forth at nationals two years ago. A lot of people were upset she was attempting so many advanced jumps at her age (11). Irony.

Country
Russia
Crying Alysa Liu - symbol of US Championships 2019.

USFS and judges did not want her to win, they preferred Bradie and Mariah, scores show it. But mistakes of Bradie and Mariah and clean Alysa made it impossible - they would look as idiots if lifting mistaken skaters ahead clean Alysa with three 3A.
Skater won federation and judges! Greatest congratulations!

And congratulations for Ting Cui and Hanna Harrell for very good FS!

What an exciting competition!

Last edited:

Maribelle

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Hi, can anyone tell who skated to the Celine Dion song "To Love You More" last night? Thank you!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Hi, can anyone tell who skated to the Celine Dion song "To Love You More" last night? Thank you!

None of the free skates were to "To Love You More". Mariah Bell's SP was.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I LIKED the crying. She's a youngster and they cry like that, no holds barred, it all comes out, no doubt about what they feel, refreshing, healing, cathartic. As adults we lose the ability to express joy and grief in that way, I think it is a gift to be able to cry just that way..

Well said, elbkup. If Frank C. was her coach, he would have yelled at her for crying in a no cry zone! Hey, I CRY LIKE THAT when we loose a dog....its emotion....she is 13....it was the most intense moment of her life. Its people who dont feel emotion that we have to worry about in this life. Anyone remember Tara's scream when she won?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Crying Alysa Liu - symbol of US Championships 2019.

USFS and judges did not want her to win, they preferred Bradie and Mariah, scores show it. But mistakes of Bradie and Mariah and clean Alysa made it impossible - they would look as idiots if lifting mistaken skaters ahead clean Alysa with three 3A.
Skater won federation and judges! Greatest congratulations!

And congratulations for Ting Cui and Hanna Harrell for very good FS!

What an exciting competition!

One never knows how the future plays out, but with the good attendance and a new bright star on the ice that gets media coverage and people's attention, this may be something very good for USFS and skatin' in the US. Just like Nathan and Jason and Vincent have been good for mens.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
She's didn't skip Novice. She was forth at nationals two years ago. A lot of people were upset she was attempting so many advanced jumps at her age (11). Irony.

My bad...I must have misread the results in Wiki....
Ref: jumps too early. Yes, I worry about that also, and am torn. I do hope some sports medicine folks are tracking all the young Russian ladies that can do triples at young ages and see if indeed there are lasting repercussions.....

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
^ I think she got a one-point deduction. Something to work on for her next competition -- pretty up your crying in the Kiss and Smile. :yes:

Even Mathman was young once! Pleanty to work on....quad combos and artistry....by golly, even I might go back to see her at nats when she comes of legal age...Nats 2021 Vegas?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Even Mathman was young once! Pleanty to work on....quad combos and artistry....by golly, even I might go back to see her at nats when she comes of legal age...Nats 2021 Vegas?

I think that's an unsubstantiated rumor.

On a different topic: I am man enough to admit when I am wrong. I thought there was no way USFSA would crown a ladies champion that young. Obviously, that was not correct.

I'm not thrilled with the outcome, but I am satisfied that the result is fair. The favored ladies opened the door a crack, and the new champion delivered a stunning roundhouse kick to blow it off the hinges.

While I prefer a more adult style of skating, I take comfort in this: When Michelle Kwan started out, she was the technical wonderkid who lacked artistry. Ditto for Kristi Yamaguchi. Skaters grow and evolve. Alysa will too. No matter what the future holds, she earned this title fair and square.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Alysa did deserve this title. But I could have seenlowering her pcs and raising Mariah's and giving Mariah the gold In the end Liu gets her gold and Mariah and Bradie get to go to worlds.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I think that's an unsubstantiated rumor.

On a different topic: I am man enough to admit when I am wrong. I thought there was no way USFSA would crown a ladies champion that young. Obviously, that was not correct.

I'm not thrilled with the outcome, but I am satisfied that the result is fair. The favored ladies opened the door a crack, and the new champion delivered a stunning roundhouse kick to blow it off the hinges.

While I prefer a more adult style of skating, I take comfort in this: When Michelle Kwan started out, she was the technical wonderkid who lacked artistry. Ditto for Kristi Yamaguchi. Skaters grow and evolve. Alysa will too. No matter what the future holds, she earned this title fair and square.

Ha! Here is a pic I took of my classmate Mathman in the fifth grade!