2019 World Championships Men's Free Skate | Page 48 | Golden Skate

2019 World Championships Men's Free Skate

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I just watched the slow motion replay of Jason's 4 salchow. It looked like it was between half and quarter turn under, not more than half. Surprised at the double carrot, hence, downgrade to triple.

It was not downgraded to triple. 4S<< is not the same as 3S. Sigh.

OMG, why does he care about Jackie?

Why wouldn't he? Jackie is the best.

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What a great men's competition!

Congrats to Vincent....congrats on the bronze.....those URs need to be fixed.

Congrats to Yuzu...you fought HARD and I hope you are proud of yourself!

Congrats to Nathan....you did what (I think) everyone said was impossible! Studies at Yale, Facetime coaching, and improving as a skater, earning the gold!

Jason....I'm sorry that your long program wasn't the one you wanted. Congrats on a great season and SP here. Get that quad down and your consistency up. Judges are willing to give you a medal!

Matteo...Great performance, welcome to the Top 10!

I know I really love a skater when I start thinking of music I want him to skate to.

I think I'm up to about 9873497834324 songs for him to consider so far.

Kevin has become my favorite skater to watch, and I was so hoping for a top 10 finish. Sooooo close!

I agree with thinking about music you want to see him skate to. Has anyone ever skated to an acapella piece? I bet Kevin would give a great performance to this.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdVjVtpr55M

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congrats to Chen who skated the best in both programs.
Congrats to Yuzu who came back strong after a serious injury. I even want to say after two serious injuries and almost two blank seasons. Because he hadn't even totally recovered from his last season's injury when he got injured again.
Congrats to Zhou who despite questionable rotations managed to land his jumps.
Sorry for Shoma.
Boyang is in top 5 so it's not so bad.
Rizzo can be the next Javier if he gets another quad.
I won't talk about scores.

Honestly even if Yuzu is healthy next season and delivers 4 quads programs, Chen seems like the chosen one now. He's now as good as Yuzu in PCS apparently and he even get better GOEs not only on jumps, but on spins and steps too.
Yuzu will need 4lz or Nessie (4A) to get back judges' love imo.

This is an odd post.

Nathan won, as you note, because he skated the best in both programs.

When Yuzu skated off the ice, he was rewarded with a World Record for the free skate and also for total score, despite a popped jump in the short.

He hasn't lost the judges' love. He was just beaten. It happens.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
This is an odd post.

Nathan won, as you note, because he skated the best in both programs.

When Yuzu skated off the ice, he was rewarded with a World Record for the free skate and also for total score, despite a popped jump in the short.

He hasn't lost the judges' love. He was just beaten. It happens.

My english is not the best so maybe my post wasn't clear. I think that if Yuzu was clean he would have won, no doubt. The margin would have been around 10 points. And since the gap between him and Chen would have been "only" 10 points, that means that Yuzuru can't afford a mistake like a fall on URed quad for example. That's a thing that he could afford two seasons ago or even last season, but now it's a different story. Chen is closing the gap, and with the favorable circumstances he got yesterday he closed it a bit more. Judges gave him almost the same pcs than Yuzu (46 and 95) + huge GOEs, he destroyed his average GOE. I don't think that his jumps are at a level of execution that deserve those insane GOEs nor that he became the 2nd most artistic skater of the field. But he got good points when Yuzu wasn't there and it paid off. I don't see his marks suddenly deflate next season. Yuzu can get two more points on pcs if clean but i don't think there will enough gap on GOE to erase the BV gap. So basically Yuzu have to be excellent now to beat Chen. Or land harder quads without his usual quality of execution.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Yep, unfortunately.

I would never have guessed we'd have more ladies' spots next year then men's.:laugh:

Keegan and Nam will soon realize what they just did or didn't do. REally sad because Keegan has the ability to be top 5 and Nam top ten. But this was not a good worlds for Canada. The highlight was Canada earning two women's spot with a tired and seemingly disinterested Chartrand and a fierce but vulnerable Daleman. Dance was close to the worst that could happen and pairs was rather ho hum. Keegan knew he blew it.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Late to the race but congrats to Nathan. Well deserved though I am sick and tired of his black costumes and his pcs are an utter joke. The judges do not need to be so generous. Even ten marks lower for pcs would be fine. Those umps are worth a lot and the new Goe systmem has ltos of roomto give him marks.

Nice fight from Hanyu though he seems a bit melancholy realizing he needs to up the ante technically. yes Vincent has issues with URs and artistry but good for him.

So sad for the "Susan Lucci" of skating Shoma. he is always so close to the gold or podium and yet again. Painful to be off the podium. Jason Brown such a beautiful skater but really still no quad after more than two seasons. This isn't 2008 or even2010. While beautiful skating is still beautiful skating one quad is hardly anything to applaud now a days (espeically when he is yet to land it succesfully in competition.

I do wonder if anyone thought about the quad craze if it was the intention really that tech would be so influential in results. Like in ladies a quad has huge influence on theresults.

Matteo, Kevin and Michael deserve some shout outs. Good efforts from them. Nice come backs from the Russian men but too little too late.

O Canada - oh no What can I say - the whole Canadian team no matter how you spin it, 2019 worlds was not a happy outing. Keegan and Nam are fortunatley friends to console each other and to console each other next year when only 1 Canadian will skate at worlds.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
My english is not the best so maybe my post wasn't clear. I think that if Yuzu was clean he would have won, no doubt. The margin would have been around 10 points. And since the gap between him and Chen would have been "only" 10 points, that means that Yuzuru can't afford a mistake like a fall on URed quad for example. That's a thing that he could afford two seasons ago or even last season, but now it's a different story. Chen is closing the gap, and with the favorable circumstances he got yesterday he closed it a bit more. Judges gave him almost the same pcs than Yuzu (46 and 95) + huge GOEs, he destroyed his average GOE. I don't think that his jumps are at a level of execution that deserve those insane GOEs nor that he became the 2nd most artistic skater of the field. But he got good points when Yuzu wasn't there and it paid off. I don't see his marks suddenly deflate next season. Yuzu can get two more points on pcs if clean but i don't think there will enough gap on GOE to erase the BV gap. So basically Yuzu have to be excellent now to beat Chen. Or land harder quads without his usual quality of execution.

The technical demands of doing numerous quads are so great that the artistry is almost by necessity taking a back seat. Even with that in mind, I wouldn't underestimate Nathan's artistry. When Yuzuru started out, he skated like an overcooked noodle. He had terrible posture and it took him several seasons to correct that. The artistry takes time. People kvetch and whine about Nathan's, but look again at the END of his FP, AFTER the quads are out of the way. He skated that with genuine passion and guts and yes artistry. Look at the SP and you can see real musicality expressed through gesture and facial expression. You know, they also call it "dancing." Nathan has learned to jump. Now he's learning to make the program dance. He earned those GOEs this time. In some ways, for the first time.

And skating loves a rivalry. Javier is gone. The Russian men are too inconsistent to seriously challenge. Yes, there is that rivalry with Shoma, and a very good rivalry it is. But an international rivalry will always generate more interest in the long run. The ISU must be doing their own Happy Dance at the way things are working out. If Boyang gets it together again, the ISU might not only do the Happy Dance, they'll float on air.

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I’m not sure if anyone’s mentioned this. I don’t want to look through 48 pages lol.. how the heck is Yuzurus 4T3A combo not worth more than 15 pts?! He did a 3A directly from another jump.. more than half the men have issues with a 3A by it self never mind on the back end of a combo.. that beast should be worth 18

Shedi0806

On the Ice
I’m not sure if anyone’s mentioned this. I don’t want to look through 48 pages lol.. how the heck is Yuzurus 4T3A combo not worth more than 15 pts?! He did a 3A directly from another jump.. more than half the men have issues with a 3A by it self never mind on the back end of a combo.. that beast should be worth 18

My godness, when I saw that in person at Helsinki during the warm-up and stuff I was floored. It is even more huge in person, a real mic-drop moment.

I really hope the ISU will change this rule for jump sequences. That is ridiculously difficult and I doubt we'll see this SEQ from another skater in many years to come. I would give him bonus points for an "original jump sequence or combination" or smthg like that, i do not care how you call it. Give him more points, please.