2020-21 U.S. Ice Dance | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2020-21 U.S. Ice Dance

dancelion21

On the Ice
Christina has a green card now, so it's unlikely that they choose to switch nationalities to Canada since she's on track to get citizenship before 2026. However, to get that citizenship, they will need to live in the United States, so Gadbois likely isn't an option. I think Colorado could be a good idea, since they wouldn't be a priority if they moved to Wheaton. I saw an interesting argument that they could consider moving to Massimo Scali in the Bay Area since he's starting to establish himself as a coach. Still, the most sensible move would be Marina. She has the most connections, the reputation, and is also currently lacking a top ice dance team.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I think Colorado could be a good idea, since they wouldn't be a priority if they moved to Wheaton.
If they went to Wheaton they’d automatically be the #1 priority there (as with any school in the USA, honestly; the only three teams ahead of them in the domestic pecking order are all at IAM).

Now, I don’t see much sense in them going to Wheaton. WISA has never taken a team beyond about where C/P already are (though admittedly you could say the same to the alternatives apart from, of course, Marina).

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Now, I don’t see much sense in them going to Wheaton. WISA has never taken a team beyond about where C/P already are (though admittedly you could say the same to the alternatives apart from, of course, Marina).
In addition to the options suggested so far, there’s also—Morozov.

I think he may currently be in Russia but, he has worked in the US, has Russian roots, and has taken on established senior teams in the past.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wondered who Klimova/Ponomarenko coach was... it was Natalia Dubova for most of their career, but they left her FOUR MONTHS before the Olympics because they didn't feel she was the right coach to take them forward. Google is helping me translate the Russian artice, but I think Tarasova carried them over the line.

The point being... there is a family history of fearlessness in pursuit of the right coaching team if they feel the relationship has run its course.

casualfan

On the Ice
From what I recall Dubova criticized their work ethic which prompted them to leave her. I think she favored Usova and Zhulin.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
In addition to the options suggested so far, there’s also—Morozov.

I think he may currently be in Russia but, he has worked in the US, has Russian roots, and has taken on established senior teams in the past.
What about his parents? Could they coach them? Maybe not enough experience and too old school?

chameleon

On the Ice
Theoretically, C/P could train abroad part time as long as they spent at least half the year in the US. The Green Card makes it easier for her to travel back and forth across the border. That seems like a hassle and also generally suboptimal considering the pandemic, but it's possible.

Even if that sort of set up was what they were considering, they would need US based coaches. Less established coaches like Christopher Dean and Ben Agosto, Massimo Scali, Platov, etc. might be more open to that kind of arrangement at this point. Marina might be less amenable to sharing, but I don't think any training center outside of Gadbois is going to eager to turn C/P down, at this point. It could be Gadbois that they are going to, of course, although I'd rather they didn't given how crowded it is there.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
A must-watch is this lovely mini-video in tribute to the U.S. ice dancers who perished in the 1961 plane crash.
Only a few seconds long, but very poignant. I cannot stop crying over it.

It is from 2021 U.S. junior pewter medalist Isabella Flores (and her partner Dima Tsarevski):

60 years ago this week, US Figure Skating lost 34 members of the skating delegation— to include athletes, coaches, officials, and family members. Several of these members trained or coached where we train at the Broadmoor World Arena, and some athletes attended my high school, Cheyenne Mountain. @usfigureskating honored their memory with sharing their stories in the film “Rise” and featured several articles in Skating Magazine. Dima and I did our own tribute, bringing the past into the present on the ice. There were 3 dance teams on the flight, Dona Lee Carrier & Roger Campbell, Patricia Major Dineen & Robert Dineen, and Diane Carol Sherbloom & Larry Pierce. This particular slide was inspired by Diane & Larry 💕 ...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLac4IuF0Dg/ (Feb 17)​

FYI for those in the NYC area re live skating "pop-up show:"

Per their Instastory this morning, Oona and Gage Brown will be skating in a "pop-up show" on Friday Feb 19, starting at 10:30 am at Bryant Park.
Free and open to the public.

I'm not sure what the weather forecast for Fri morning is at this point -- and I will be staying tuned to their Instastory for any updates from the Browns -- but I am excited at the thought of seeing them skate.

ETA:

I see now that the Browns will be part of Ice Theatre of New York's pop-up concert on Friday.
Per ITNY's website, the pop-up concert will begin at 10:45 am, and the Browns will skate their "Nothing Else Matters" FD.​

ETA (on Feb 18):

I found Bryant Park's page for this event, which seems to be a good place to check whether weather-related cancellation will be necessary.​

As of now, the Friday pop-up with the Browns is on schedule.
(But Bryant Park's site shows that some of Thursday's events understandably are cancelled.)

ETA (on Feb 18):
Friday's pop-up show with the Browns has been *cancelled* because of weather.​

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Oona and Gage Brown are the subject of a long new feature article by Anne Calder (dated Mar 30):

Lots of quotes from Oona and Gage. The wide-ranging article looks forward to their future plans/goals and also recaps the history of how they got started in skating and ice dance, and progressed to this point.

Toward the end of the article, the Browns say that they will have a new FD for the coming season.
("Nothing Else Matters" will become an exhibition program.)

Also within the article are some great details (and quotes from Jordan Cowan) about how the On Ice Perspectives shoot of "Nothing Else Matters" at Bryant Park came about.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
2020-2021 US Ice Dance

Big Questions:

1. Will there be a season?
2. Can Chock/Bates defend their national title/4CC title?
3. Can Hubbell/Donohue regain their US title over Chock/Bates?
4. Can Hawayek/Baker remain as the US #3 team?
5. Can the US get 2 teams on the world podium?
1. Sorta.
2. No and N/A.
3. Yes.
4. Yes.
5. No.

Weathergal

Medalist
Love this new Senior team. I have followed them since their jr years and they are definitely an upcoming team to watch!!!
For a new-ish team, I thought they looked very promising, and they just have that special spark.

Even though it's very possible that at least Chock / Bates and Hubbell / Donahue -- and possibly also Hawayek / Baker -- might retire after the Olympics, it's exciting that the US has a number of great dance teams with a lot of potential lined up: Carreira Ponomarenko, Green / Parsons, and Cesanek / Yehorov, not to mention Brown / Brown and Wolfkostin / Chen.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
For a new-ish team, I thought they looked very promising, and they just have that special spark.

Even though it's very possible that at least Chock / Bates and Hubbell / Donahue -- and possibly also Hawayek / Baker -- might retire after the Olympics, it's exciting that the US has a number of great dance teams with a lot of potential lined up: Carreira Ponomarenko, Green / Parsons, and Cesanek / Yehorov, not to mention Brown / Brown and Wolfkostin / Chen.
I agree with all you said. Except while I can see C/B and H/D retiring after this coming season, I'm not so sure about H/B, they just may try for 4 more years to truly attempt to go out "on top."

ETA: Jean-luc would only be 32 and Kaitlyn 28 at the next games in 2026. Ice dance has a longer "age" life than other disciplines.

Last edited:

ZeldaJo21

Rinkside
I agree with all you said. Except while I can see C/B and H/D retiring after this coming season, I'm not so sure about H/B, they just may try for 4 more years to truly attempt to go out "on top."

ETA: Jean-luc would only be 32 and Kaitlyn 28 at the next games in 2026. Ice dance has a longer "age" life than other disciplines.
Feeling the same thing........I think H/B will stick it out for an Olympic run in 2026!

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
I would love to see H/B go 4 more years, but do wonder whether they would end up being US no.1 for the 2026 Olympics? Their PB is only 3 points clear of Carriera/Ponomarenko, and Green/Parsons are also promising. If C/B and H/D retire, I can see them being US no.1 for the 2022/23 season, which would probably give them a points boost internationally, but I could potentially see Carriera/Ponomarenko catching them before 2026.

Outside the US, the judges don't seem to be rewarding them. For example, despite some suggesting they could challenge the Italians at Worlds/WTT, they were 16 points away at former and 20 points away at the latter, being considerably closer to being caught by Galyavieva/Thauron than catching G/F at WTT.

Apologies for sounding negative; I'd really like to see them continue post-2022, as I really enjoy their skating and programs. I hope they'd be able to climb the ranking and have scores they can be happy with, I want a happy Kaitlin in the kiss and cry!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I would love to see H/B go 4 more years, but do wonder whether they would end up being US no.1 for the 2026 Olympics? Their PB is only 3 points clear of Carriera/Ponomarenko, and Green/Parsons are also promising. If C/B and H/D retire, I can see them being US no.1 for the 2022/23 season, which would probably give them a points boost internationally, but I could potentially see Carriera/Ponomarenko catching them before 2026.

Outside the US, the judges don't seem to be rewarding them. For example, despite some suggesting they could challenge the Italians at Worlds/WTT, they were 16 points away at former and 20 points away at the latter, being considerably closer to being caught by Galyavieva/Thauron than catching G/F at WTT.

Apologies for sounding negative; I'd really like to see them continue post-2022, as I really enjoy their skating and programs. I hope they'd be able to climb the ranking and have scores they can be happy with, I want a happy Kaitlin in the kiss and cry!
It's not sounding negative, it's what happened! I am a big fan of their FD this season but somehow the international judges didn't pick it up. I really enjoy watching them, but C/P and G/P look really promising (and I like both of these couples too) for the future.