2021 JGP France II: Women's Free Skate | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2021 JGP France II: Women's Free Skate

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I love Isabeau's programs and skating in general but her landings on the back end of her jump combs look sort of stiff legged and there is no flow out of the jump. It is masked well because her free leg extends high and exactly parallel to the ice. It is not as pronounced on the non combos but still.

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
I noticed that Isabeau Levito's kiss & cry mascot was Luna the Cat from the beloved anime series. It has been a good luck charm for Evgenia for many years and she must have been inspired by Evgenia, including her overall skating style. Isabeau nailed difficult combination jumps almost perfectly in the second half (3F+3T, 3Lz+1Eu+3S, 3F+2T), scoring 131.10 in free skate.

Last edited:

wakuwaku

On the Ice
Country
Latvia
The US has a new star!. When she goes senior next season - Bradie, Mariah, Amber, Alysa - beware!
I wouldn't be so sure about that. I hate to be a party pooper, but raising senior age for new olympic cycle is very likely.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wouldn't be so sure about that. I hate to be a party pooper, but raising senior age for new olympic cycle is very likely.

From your lips to God’s ears that the age is raised:pray:

thats not being a party pooper. We can enjoy Isabeau in juniors for another year and then she goes senior and we see her again.

I don’t think her performance gifts will fade and she intends to go to 2026 in any event. :)

wakuwaku

On the Ice
Country
Latvia
she interprets her music so well for a junior
Am I the only one to feel irritation when hearing this condescending remarks about age time and again? Is it so hard to just say that she interprets that particular music best of them all - and that's it? There were lots of much older skaters (in seniors age) who couldn't show anything on ice at all - in the same competition. Moreover, I really doubt that even famous top senior skaters could interpret that music as well. Proper interpretation of fast/complex music is becoming nearly impossible for older women skaters. They tend to skate more lyrical and slow music in a free for a reason. I would say different programs are best suited for each age. And in each category there can be their own masterpieces - only possible in that particular age. Including different age physiology and stamina reasons - which allows different number of transitions etc.

Last edited:

icybear

Medalist
Yes! Baby Cohen delivered! :clap:

A little shaky here and there and I'm sure wasn't supposed to save all the combos to last. But great stuff.

The US has a new star!. When she goes senior next season - Bradie, Mariah, Amber, Alysa - beware!
I wouldn't be making such a announcement based on a single competition. But it definitely looks like her team is working on this with all the top packaging investment. They will be milking hard into the whole, new Sasha Cohen thing.
And she's even established a plush toy mascot to associate her name with just like the superstar skaters :biggrin:
I mean she is promising but fans need to stop blowing out all the fanfare every time there's like a teeny weeny drip of new US ladies talent.
I'm surprised no one talks much about Audrey Shin. I would say she's the most interesting US junior lady to watch.

readernick

Medalist
I'm surprised no one talks much about Audrey Shin. I would say she's the most interesting US junior lady to watch.

I agree with you that people shouldn't have too much fanfare for any junior. Juniors are still in development and the final results of their efforts are impossible to predict.

That being said, I don't hold the same rosy view of Audrey Shin. She is a nice skater, basic skating is quite good. However, her scores on the JGP were generally below 150. She got a 176 once but that was the exception. The reason? Her URs and based on the coach she has ( whose students almost all seem to have this issue) there isn't going to be a lot of attention paid to fixing this problem. I think Lindsay, Isabeau, Clare, and Mia all have more potential.

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Wow. So many good skaters here to look for in the future....and as was mentioned, lots can happen from 13-14 years old to 18, good and bad. I wish them all the best. As Jackie Wong said on twitter, "The attack on Seoyeon Ji’s 3Lz3T is spectacular"
Ted Barton rocks....I wish I had his energy when I was 66. I wonder what brand of coffee he uses? What ever he is paid is not enough.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Oh, plus 1 on Ted Barton! He does such a great job explaining, discussing and supporting, and he is always the voice of reason!
Honestly, I loved the top 4 performances very much, and I am happy that Reuiter held on to bronze, with it being so close between her and the amazing Korean women.

if there was a poll, I would vote that I see Russian style in Levito skating vs American. She does perform lots of movements, did a leg kick, and she doesn’t do those super-long, slow glides that the Americans do on spirals. I am also happy that American public gets excited about new challengers, because Levito is great, so fingers crossed she gets home fan love

Rere

Rinkside
Country
Canada
Lovely skate from Vanesa! Her spins were particularly fun, with some unusual positions. Her camel spin reminded me of Anastasia Tarakanova's spins. Didn't realise she was so behind her music though. And so many sparkles on her dress!
Yesss! Lovely program, and lovely to see how she improved her position comparing with the short! Also, I have a soft spot for the final jump in the last seconds of the program, and I enjoyed hers very much, even without the music))

jlmart

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Wow. So many good skaters here to look for in the future....and as was mentioned, lots can happen from 13-14 years old to 18, good and bad. I wish them all the best. As Jackie Wong said on twitter, "The attack on Seoyeon Ji’s 3Lz3T is spectacular"
Ted Barton rocks....I wish I had his energy when I was 66. I wonder what brand of coffee he uses? What ever he is paid is not enough.
I don't imagine he gets paid much if at all. He is not an announcer but he is a very interesting man who probably doesn't get the credit he deserves!
https://edgesofglory.com/interviews/meet-ted-barton

spiralsnowflake

Rinkside