2021 JGP Kosice: Free Dance | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2021 JGP Kosice: Free Dance

readernick

Medalist
so why didn't RusFed tell them in the 2 times they've already peformed this?

This also happened last week with second place US dance team. They lost because of a spin that was choreographed wrong. ( I am a Brown Stan.. So I would be lying if I pretend to be really sad). Ice dance is complicated. However, technical panels should catch this stuff domestically and coaches should know the rules.

Kittosuni

Medalist
so why didn't RusFed tell them in the 2 times they've already peformed this?

I just rewatched it and there is no way you can mistake that slide turn to the knees as a fall.

If only one of them was doing it sure maybe you can think that but they did it also on synchro.

The only way to consider that as a fall if they put their hand on the ice but they did not.

So weird. Oh well time to change that I guess.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Oh, so going to their knees was counted as fall for both of them? Wow. Hard luck, that’s for sure.

Last edited:

Kittosuni

Medalist
This also happened last week with second place US dance team. They lost because of a spin that was choreographed wrong. ( I am a Brown Stan.. So I would be lying if I pretend to be really sad). Ice dance is complicated. However, technical panels should catch this stuff domestically and coaches should know the rules.

You are correct but i still fail to understand how that was considered a fall.

the only way it is considered a fall is if

1. they put their hand on the ice which they did not.
2. Only one of them was doing it giving the benefit of the doubt to the judges but they did not and performed it on sychro.

My guess is they thought it was too messy so sure can dinged them on GOE but not as a fall?

One thing is clear they need to change that going to their second event

PavelSky

On the Ice
Country
Russia
I understand that we are talking about this episode?

35733149.png

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Dance judging is always a mistery to me. It's usually not in Russian skaters' favor with one big exception of S/K who are very good indeed but judges seem to love them even more. So, I don't understand why the Canadians won but that's not a big deal. The big deal is why they keep calling the Swans' lake music "The Black swan". Yes, there was that movie where Natalie Portman danced to Tchaikovsky. There is the score by Clint Mansell which is some fillers between Tchaikovsky's music. But I look at how the music of the Canadians named and see Black Swan: "Perfection" Clint Mansell. Are there pieces in what they dance to belonging to Mr. Mansell himself rather than some rearrangements of Tchaikovsky? And why is it presented as some independent piece called "Perfection"?

Kittosuni

Medalist
I understand that we are talking about this episode?

35733149.png

Correct.

The only way that it is considered a fall is if they put their hand on the ice which they did not. or only one of them was doing it which they did not.

They can dinged them on GOE but fall though?

Just change the whole thing and let us just blame Krylova.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I am sure next stage they will just sweepingly bow from the waist or something without touching the ice.

what guts me is Angelopol saying in K&C ‘We tried, we tried so hard.’

hydroblader

Rinkside
Sliding on two knees is only permitted during a choreographed slide sequence, so anywhere else in a program would be considered a fall, apparently worse so in the middle of a choreo step sequence, hence the double ding of low goe and a double fall. That’s a basic choreography error and the someone should have caught that before now.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Sliding on two knees is only permitted during a choreographed slide sequence, so anywhere else in a program would be considered a fall, apparently worse so in the middle of a choreo step sequence, hence the double ding of low goe and a double fall. That’s a basic choreography error and the someone should have caught that before now.
Thank you for this. Now I am armed for when mom inevitably calls me with the conspiracy theories. I might be able to break it through to her after maybe 20-40 minutes of lament. She adores K/A

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Before I leave, I would also like to take the opportunity to wish all the best to Angelina and Ilia.

Although I know that some of you will be groaning when you find out the FD music they are using, please don't let that influence you. There is a reason why his music is used a lot. It is a beautiful piece, and no doubt the skating will be beautiful too. Hey, they were absolutely brilliant yesterday when using music that was not to everybody's taste. So, I expect them to be brilliant with this too.

They were wonderfully original, as always, and underscored IMO, dropping to 7th after the FD. There was a beautiful sequence of moves in the Straight Line Lift that defied gravity, matching the music perfectly.

I absolutely adore the imagination of their Choreographers Artem Khromih, Dmitri Ionov, Maxim Chebotarev and hats off to their Coaches for going with quirkiness and originality for this couple. And well done to them for carrying it off most of the time, however difficult. Looking forward to seeing both RD & FD again all season long, they deserve all the plaudits.

:cheer2: :clap::points::thank::hap10::)

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom

Absolutely! The title says what it means Choreo/Character Step Sequence not knee sliding. Angelika Krylova made a serious misjudgement (apart from choosing Ave Maria). But no doubt without that major error in Choreo leading to Deductions and Loss of GOE, they would've won. So no good the boy shaking his head at the Panel, he should be asking his coach: what happened? Check the Protocols.

zebobes

Final Flight
So a question for Ice Dance experts, are knee slides allowed in other non elements or exits from elements? Because there is also a brief knee slide in the exit from the spin too, and a knee slide at the end, too.

It's sad that they lost out on a gold because of a choreography error. I wonder if the fact that it has been a long time since international competition, a lot of coaches got confused about certain rules.

hydroblader

Rinkside
I am not a dance expert, but I can read. The ISU guidelines are fairly clear. The issue here was both knees were sliding at the same time. The same rules apply to hands touching the ice. You have certain situations like a choreo slide move where hands and both knees may touch the ice. Any other time constitutes a fall. They unfortunately did it during a step sequence. One knee slides as far as I know are okay, but someone may correct me, I don’t think they would have gotten the deduction and fall, if they did a one knee slide.

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
Completely agree - they have a choreographed slide near the end so I don’t know how they didn’t realise the slide in the CSS wouldn’t be allowed.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
I am not a dance expert, but I can read. The ISU guidelines are fairly clear. The issue here was both knees were sliding at the same time. The same rules apply to hands touching the ice. You have certain situations like a choreo slide move where hands and both knees may touch the ice. Any other time constitutes a fall. They unfortunately did it during a step sequence. One knee slides as far as I know are okay, but someone may correct me, I don’t think they would have gotten the deduction and fall, if they did a one knee slide.
One knee slide is probably permitted as catweel on one hand is. The movement is not considered as a fall unless majority of body weight is on the ice surface ('supported by the ice surface'). What this couple did is sadly considered as a fall.

Last edited:

hydroblader

Rinkside
Also regarding the GOEs they were given -1 to -5 across the board. The rules dictate a fall by both skaters drops the GOE to a maximum of -4, so theoretically they could have had -4 to -5 for the entire choreo step sequence. Double dinging for a fall, that’s another topic altogether though. Both the Canadians and Russians skated magnificently, too bad Krylova’s team missed that one.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Also regarding the GOEs they were given -1 to -5 across the board. The rules dictate a fall by both skaters drops the GOE to a maximum of -4, so theoretically they could have had -4 to -5 for the entire choreo step sequence. Double dinging for a fall, that’s another topic altogether though. Both the Canadians and Russians skated magnificently, too bad Krylova’s team missed that one.
Being in a judge position, i would interpret it as an 'intentional fall' which serves the choreography/story, so i wouldn't deduct in GOE that much, or i wouldn't deduct in GOE at all :biggrin: Being in a tech panel i need to classify it as any other fall and deduct for it.

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Well, they are doing their 2nd stage in Ljubljana and fingers crossed they can make up for the score & squeak into the final maybe…