2022-23 U.S. Champs Camp | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2022-23 U.S. Champs Camp

Trusova4Ever

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Sorry I didn't manage to get any of them in costume, they were moving on ice and then changed after.

theblade

On the Ice
It's basically true that Champs Camp is closed to outsiders watching, but I also don't think they can simply kick people out of a facility in this day and age. That being said, isn't the DSC a private facility, and thus able to keep high-profile USFSA-related work private?

This is not meant as a personal attack, by the way. Don't know who you are or anything. And information is always interesting.

However, it is definitely frowned upon to take video of skaters training that aren't your own kids. Basically not allowed at closed sessions such as these.

My kid is still skating, and has been on sessions at "elite/top facilities" with multiple sheets of ice. Sometimes on the ice with top teams, sometimes on other sheets. Even in passing with two different Champs Camps, by coincidence.

There is a lot that we have tangentially seen over the past four to five years while chasing ice. A lot of speculation on these threads we have some insights to, but cannot speak about due to privacy concerns. I'm always happy when skaters post on their own social medias to confirm things (although I think social media is incredibly harmful in general, and especially problematic for under-18s, although I can see the appeal).

Recently my kid was on a session at a rink training when another party was also on said ice. A small number of parents were there and started filming. And then the gossip/reports started online (it was international skating news driving people nuts). I'm old, so I was a bit shocked that others started filming without compulsion. But privacy issues are a real challenge these days for skaters. I know that skaters/choreographers are taking more care to find private ice at off-times to do some of their work.

It's a very interesting issue. And again, not attacking the other poster here. Just showing that it's hard to balance "training secrets" or the wish to develop programs/levels at a more humane pace for the skater in the face of social media.

(P.S.: we are in the proximity of a couple of skaters/parents who are "leakers," as in, somehow, training schedules and news makes it out to other skaters/parents/coaches of other active competitors. Blows my mind. Where we stand, we stay mum. Our skating Golden Rule is: "Do not leak unto others as you would have them not leak about you." While it keeps our conscious clean, it has also meant that actions taken against us in the past - this is figure skating, people, not the nicest sport by far - have left us vulnerable. Oh well. In the end, talent on the ice is usually recognized.)

katymay

Medalist
It's basically true that Champs Camp is closed to outsiders watching, but I also don't think they can simply kick people out of a facility in this day and age. That being said, isn't the DSC a private facility, and thus able to keep high-profile USFSA-related work private?

This is not meant as a personal attack, by the way. Don't know who you are or anything. And information is always interesting.

However, it is definitely frowned upon to take video of skaters training that aren't your own kids. Basically not allowed at closed sessions such as these.

My kid is still skating, and has been on sessions at "elite/top facilities" with multiple sheets of ice. Sometimes on the ice with top teams, sometimes on other sheets. Even in passing with two different Champs Camps, by coincidence.

There is a lot that we have tangentially seen over the past four to five years while chasing ice. A lot of speculation on these threads we have some insights to, but cannot speak about due to privacy concerns. I'm always happy when skaters post on their own social medias to confirm things (although I think social media is incredibly harmful in general, and especially problematic for under-18s, although I can see the appeal).

Recently my kid was on a session at a rink training when another party was also on said ice. A small number of parents were there and started filming. And then the gossip/reports started online (it was international skating news driving people nuts). I'm old, so I was a bit shocked that others started filming without compulsion. But privacy issues are a real challenge these days for skaters. I know that skaters/choreographers are taking more care to find private ice at off-times to do some of their work.

It's a very interesting issue. And again, not attacking the other poster here. Just showing that it's hard to balance "training secrets" or the wish to develop programs/levels at a more humane pace for the skater in the face of social media.

(P.S.: we are in the proximity of a couple of skaters/parents who are "leakers," as in, somehow, training schedules and news makes it out to other skaters/parents/coaches of other active competitors. Blows my mind. Where we stand, we stay mum. Our skating Golden Rule is: "Do not leak unto others as you would have them not leak about you." While it keeps our conscious clean, it has also meant that actions taken against us in the past - this is figure skating, people, not the nicest sport by far - have left us vulnerable. Oh well. In the end, talent on the ice is usually recognized.)
Back in the olden days when I was a skater, 'news' of who was landing what still leaked out, and probably more than it leaks today. AND, the poster didn't post any actual program video, so me thinks it is probably okay. I really wish that the US would hold an event style 'test skates' like Russia does-maybe build some interest in the sport. Not for nothing, but without Mariah and Karen, it looks to be a pretty bleak year for the American ladies- even without the Russians taking the top slots.

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
Regarding the videos thing (just in general) - the DSC rinks don’t have LiveBarn, which is probably one of the reasons that it was chosen. While obviously intended for parents to watch their kid‘s hockey game or FS program or whatever, LiveBarn is a public site and thus, anyone willing to pay, can access it.

Also, the point of Champs Camp (and other national test events) isn’t so the public can see. It’s so federations can assess the skaters and provide feedback before most of the international judges do. It’s nice to get updates, but that’s not the point of it.

Again, this is not directed at the OP, but a general statement.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have always agreed with what I understand to be the idea of Champs Camp: a private space for private feedback.

That said, it is up to the facility to restrict access if they want access restricted. If they haven't sufficiently done so, well :shrug:

theblade

On the Ice
Yes, it's up to the facility to create the level of privacy needed. When it was at Great Park, IIRC, they actually had curtains and restricted access. DSC is a little more, shall we say, at times, free range...

SkateTM0102

On the Ice
I have always agreed with what I understand to be the idea of Champs Camp: a private space for private feedback.

That said, it is up to the facility to restrict access if they want access restricted. If they haven't sufficiently done so, well :shrug:
I agree with both things you said, and also understand why USFS would want Champs Camp to be private. I believe there are many easy ways they could make it more restricted.
On the flip side, I do think it gives skaters an easy out to show up underprepared when they know not many people are going to see them. Maybe Champs Camp shouldn’t be easily visible as it’s early in the season, but I do think that there should be more visibility at competitions and maybe some kind of test skates in the US. I often wonder if that would raise our level of competitiveness. It’s almost like we hide out til the GPs and then expect to skate well. 🤷‍♀️

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree with both things you said, and also understand why USFS would want Champs Camp to be private. I believe there are many easy ways they could make it more restricted.
On the flip side, I do think it gives skaters an easy out to show up underprepared when they know not many people are going to see them. Maybe Champs Camp shouldn’t be easily visible as it’s early in the season, but I do think that there should be more visibility at competitions and maybe some kind of test skates in the US. I often wonder if that would raise our level of competitiveness. It’s almost like we hide out til the GPs and then expect to skate well. 🤷‍♀️

I think I understand what you are saying, but maybe my perspective is different because of the disciplines I follow?

I follow the men, and I just don't see that, at least in recent years. Most of the men do skate in summer comps or Challengers, so they are putting themselves out there and they are competing. Who traditionally didn't do Challengers or summer comps? One Nathan Chen, and it didn't seem to affect his readiness for the GP ;)

I have not heard of any skater who showed up "unprepared" for Champ's Camp (although I certainly don't know everything about every skater). And as much as I love to pat myself on the back as a fan, I think a skater's internal dedication carries them through more than any desire to show up for me. :)

Although I am always up for watching more skating. :biggrin:

macy

Record Breaker
wow you got lucky! i was always under the impression that NOBODY saw champs camp- the fact they even let you in is surprising to me. but wow, what an experience this must have been, very cool!

theblade

On the Ice
Interesting thoughts and, perhaps, separate issues. First, yes, they can just add a few people to verify credentials so that skaters, coaches and officials can be the ones in the rink, working things out with a certain amount of privacy/focus.

Champs Camp "early" in the season is to get a country-wide group of skaters and coaches on the same page with USFSA officials, while also providing a bit of bonding for the team (among other objectives).

I use "early" in quotations because, frankly, spring/summer competitions are already done, and a good way for skaters to try out programs and layouts/choreo/music/costumes. Not all skaters can skip summer competitions; well-established competitors can. But for those skaters needing assignments versus equally-talented peers, they can be helpful to start a season-long campaign to build great routines, get high enough marks for international assignment consideration, develop program stamina, etc. They can also be the reckoning that can help switch routines that aren't working before the point of no return. Summer comps can build focus. Of course, maintaining that focus for the entire season must feel like a marathon run at wind sprint pace.

If skaters are arriving to Champs Camp in a perceived less-than-prepared state, financial and educational concerns play a big role in this. These days, especially *these days*, the funnel of serious skaters has experienced great attrition. Most participants have: a) innate talent; b) rich parents; c) other sponsors to help them out. Figuring out schooling, even in this time of remote learning, is still complicated.

Champs Camp is a great idea. Test skates would be a great idea. Again, expensive for skaters to attend (travel and accommodation fees alone).

mrrice

Record Breaker
As far as barring outsiders from the rink. I've seen it happen several times. When I was skating, there were several times when a coach wanted private Ice time. I remember watching through the glass but that's as close as we got to the skater, skaters inside.