2022-23 U.S. Champs Camp | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2022-23 U.S. Champs Camp

Amei

Record Breaker
As far as barring outsiders from the rink. I've seen it happen several times. When I was skating, there were several times when a coach wanted private Ice time. I remember watching through the glass but that's as close as we got to the skater, skaters inside.

As far as I've ever come across true "private ice" time was expensive, prohibitively so.

mrrice

Record Breaker
As far as I've ever come across true "private ice" time was expensive, prohibitively so.
It's extremely expensive. In Santa Barbara people could afford it. I definitely remember showing up and being locked out of the rink until they were done.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
As far as barring outsiders from the rink. I've seen it happen several times. When I was skating, there were several times when a coach wanted private Ice time. I remember watching through the glass but that's as close as we got to the skater, skaters inside.

Yes this does happen at times! Especially if elite skater or choreographer has bought huge chunks of ice time in order to do the choreography for the season. Many will do this so there is no leaks or prying eyes and especially so the skater can concentrate.

This is not related to your post mrrice: As far as Champs Camp is concerned it is supposed to be private and away from prying eyes. I mean if you see the skaters and they say hi away from ice and are willing to talk to you and take a photo, that is fine, but in no situation should anyone be taking photos of a private federation camp nor skaters sitting down for lunch, etc. Sorry, no offense but in every situation that is very uncomfortable for the skater, coaches, etc and creepy (and I'm talking from inside of the sport here...it is not comfortable).

ucrgirl

On the Ice
Here are my live thoughts on the ladies (I was furiously typing while trying to pay attention so sorry there arent more):

Gracie: Looks good, calm, confident, fast. 3Lz+3T, 3F, 3Lo, 2S popped, 3T+2T, 2Lz, 2A+2T+1Lo popped. Beautiful choreo sequence and choreo in general.

Gabriella Izzo: Wearing black training clothes, 2A, 1Lz popped, 3F, 1Lz popped, music has voice overs, lots of pausing and then skating (gaps in the program), 3F, 3Lo, 2A tape on her arm looking to be hurt maybe, skipping spins.

Starr: Blue dress, criss-cross strapping at the back, 3F+2A, 3F, 2A, 3T hand down, music je suis malade Lara Fabian, 3Lo, 3S step out hand down, 3Lo+2T+2T, not a lot of presentation/facial expressions, choreo matches the music, tired.

Amber: Wearing her dress from 2020 nationals I think, 2A, 3F+3T, 3S, 3Lo+2T, pausing, holding her shoulder, 2Lz popped+2T+1A popped, 3Lo, 3F, really phoning in the spins, holding her elbow immediately after, definitely looks hurt.

Bradie: Wearing old dress from 2020 nationals, 3Lz maybe under +2T, 3S or 3Lo, 3S, 2A, Anna's sp music with voice overs or vivaldi 4 seasons, long pause, good combo spin at the end.

Isabeau: 3Lz+3Lo small no flow, 3S, 2A, 3F, 3F+3T, 2A, 3Lz+2T+2Lo stumble, skates through the music sometimes, wow spins.

Audrey: Wearing a plainish red dress with a detail at the hip, I believe it may be an old dress, 3Lz maybe under, 3T+3T, 3S, 2A, 3Lz+3T, wow ina bauer, 1F popped, 3Lo.

Lindsay: 3Lz hand down fall, 3S, 2A, 2A foot touched into sit spin, successful cartwheel, 3Fe+2T 3Lz+2T+2Lo (did 3Lz+3Lo in warmup), 3Fe, this program is almost ethereal-like live, nice spins, isabeau next, jumps don't have distance live, look more under in person.
@Trusova4Ever was your last comment "jumps don't have distance live, look more under in person" about Isabeau or Lindsay?

Thank you for the report!

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would expect that skaters recovering from injuries might seem unprepared whether it be Chasmps Camp or test skates. The reason to participate would be to provide a snapshot of progress in choosing programs and choreography, get rules updates and remind people that you are still active. It would allow the fed to assess where an athlete is on their path to recovery in order to consider competitive assignments.

mrrice

Record Breaker
:ot: This is a bit off topic but, I can't seem to find the thread on the US Men. I see that Illia will be competing soon. Does he plan a Quad Axel in his FP.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
:ot: This is a bit off topic but, I can't seem to find the thread on the US Men. I see that Illia will be competing soon. Does he plan a Quad Axel in his FP.

Weathergal

Medalist
@mrrice if you're looking for the US Men thread, it's with the other "national" threads in the Skate of the Nations section of the forum. 🙂

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Gracies back and theres going to be trouble...lol Watch out world. Russia is gone and Gracie wants a medal.
Sadly, I think the World is sleeping just fine and not worried at all about Gracie 😧 I love the progress she has made and she seems so happy in training. But, I can count a dozen of other countries, besides, Russia, and if they were to be gone, I still believe she wouldn’t be in the podium. There are lots of wonderful skaters out there. I just want to bring expectations to reality.

macy

Record Breaker
Sadly, I think the World is sleeping just fine and not worried at all about Gracie 😧 I love the progress she has made and she seems so happy in training. But, I can count a dozen of other countries, besides, Russia, and if they were to be gone, I still believe she wouldn’t be in the podium. There are lots of wonderful skaters out there. I just want to bring expectations to reality.
if she ever went to worlds i don't think she'd medal either, but without Russians and with two solid skates i think she could place top 5 or 6.

however, i think it's possible she could podium at nationals.

mrrice

Record Breaker
if she ever went to worlds i don't think she'd medal either, but without Russians and with two solid skates i think she could place top 5 or 6.

however, i think it's possible she could podium at nationals.
I agree. Do we have 3 spots for Worlds? I think Isabeau and Lindsay will be taking 2 spots and though she wasn't great at Champs Camp, I think a motivated Bradie, could do quite well. Has Mariah Bell officially retired from competitive skating? Of course, Amber is always a wildcard.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The first year Gracie tried to make Nationals, she was 3rd at Regionals but did not have the tech minimums for Nationals. She wasn't going to make Nationals. But she got the tech score at Sectionals. And she made Nationals. Every year since as it has gotten harder and harder to make Nationals she has continued to do so. She was never going to win an International medal again. But she did at Philly International. She made 4 ccs tech minimums at Philly International and almost made Worlds minimums (I think she made them in the short but not the long). She was never going to get another International assignment again and certainly not a GP. But she has. I will never count her out of anything. She went from hardly being able to skate at all to where she is now. I will count her in.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The first year Gracie tried to make Nationals, she was 3rd at Regionals but did not have the tech minimums for Nationals. She wasn't going to make Nationals. But she got the tech score at Sectionals. And she made Nationals. Every year since as it has gotten harder and harder to make Nationals she has continued to do so. She was never going to win an International medal again. But she did at Philly International. She made 4 ccs tech minimums at Philly International and almost made Worlds minimums (I think she made them in the short but not the long). She was never going to get another International assignment again and certainly not a GP. But she has. I will never count her out of anything. She went from hardly being able to skate at all to where she is now. I will count her in.
Don’t forget her other event afterwards, where she completely fell apart and scored 150ish. She is inconsistent. Also, at her last two GP events, she placed 12th (Russia) and 12th (America). So, the pressure seems to get to her at the big stages. She also fell apart in the free skate at Nationals because she was in the final flight of skaters. At this upcoming challenger event, she has a chance to prove herself. To me, Gracie will impress me if she scores 180+ at Nebelhorn. The event isn’t as big as Grand Prix or Nationals. So, maybe, there won’t be that much pressure on her. I see Levito and Thorngren as hungry athletes determined to make the team. But, none of the other ladies seem to be scoring over 180. They are all stuck at 170+. Shin and Hilmer with 4th and 5th at 176 and 174. Glenn and Harrell with 177 and 175. She is also going against Andrews, who is also inconsistent. So, I’m interested to see how she does. The third place in American ladies figure skating is really up for grabs. I’m rooting and confident, though, that Tennell will be the one to grab the spot, though. I just hope she is healthy enough.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Don’t forget her other event afterwards, where she completely fell apart and scored 150ish. She is inconsistent. Also, at her last two GP events, she placed 12th (Russia) and 12th (America). So, the pressure seems to get to her at the big stages. She also fell apart in the free skate at Nationals because she was in the final flight of skaters. At this upcoming challenger event, she has a chance to prove herself. To me, Gracie will impress me if she scores 180+ at Nebelhorn. The event isn’t as big as Grand Prix or Nationals. So, maybe, there won’t be that much pressure on her. I see Levito and Thorngren as hungry athletes determined to make the team. But, none of the other ladies seem to be scoring over 180. They are all stuck at 170+. Shin and Hilmer with 4th and 5th at 176 and 174. Glenn and Harrell with 177 and 175. She is also going against Andrews, who is also inconsistent. So, I’m interested to see how she does. The third place in American ladies figure skating is really up for grabs. I’m rooting for Tennell to be the one to grab the spot, though.

She went to Russia against the advice of her coaches as she wasn't ready. And she wasn't. I don't think she was ready at Skate America either, and it wasn't a real Skate America because of Covid. I think she is ready now. But we will see. I still always count her in.

mrrice

Record Breaker
All other factors aside (and there are many) that was 4 years ago. If you compare any skater she's competing against to the skater they were 4 years ago, you'd be looking at a very different ballapark.
Exactly Plus, we've seen the reports from someone who was there. She stated that Gracie was definitely the best skater there. Gracie and her mental state, are much different now. She has that beautiful smile back. I can tell you as a performer and competitor, your mental state is everything when the pressure hits.

Last edited: