2022 European Championships: Women's Short Program | Page 46 | Golden Skate

2022 European Championships: Women's Short Program

readernick

Medalist
Also why did Eteri change the jump landings to this pitch forward thing? It looks like a mistake and not at all like "feature" if that was what she was going for.
Yes, I also wonder about this. Sasha's jumps truly are fabulous, no one in Seniors jumps as well as Sasha. Why distract from that? Previously, Sasha did naturally pitch forward on her landings but I noticed an improvement last year. Why not continue that improvement? It feels like they are trying to hide a flaw but it wasn't that serious of flaw to begin with and could have been improved had whatever approach taken last year continued to be implemented.

amc987

On the Ice
I just don't understand how the Eteri girls get PCS that are so unjustifiably high.

Valieva was great. This program suits her, imo, much better than her Bolero program does. This wasn't her best performance of the season, and here she sits with 90 points. She should've been around 86 or so. Giving her 9.75s/10s for various components is excessive.

Trusova fell on her 3A. Fine. She's an incredible jumper, but she's not in the same league as others in terms of skating skills, choreo, interpretation, and composition. In fact, if you muted her music, that would make absolutely no difference to the quality of her program or its interpretation. You'd get the same thing, which is very little other than jumps. She should've been in the low 70s.

Shcherbakova fell on her 3Lz and didn't execute a combo. Unlike Trusova, she is musical and has good skating skills, but they're not so superior to everyone else's that she should be held up in the short program when she doesn't deliver technically. She should have been around 64. I really feel for her because something is clearly plaguing her - growing pains or an injury or fatigue. She looks like a shadow of herself. But she should be judged based on what she does on the day, not her reputation as World Champion, etc. It's only fair.

For me, the highlight of the session was Hendrickx. She's a complete skater - solid jumps (albeit without a 3A), beautiful spins, musical, and with appropriately sultry interpretation. If the judges are going to give Valieva 90, Hendrickx should be closer to 80. For the life of me, I can't understand how Trusova's PCS are EVER higher than hers. And Scherbakova's with a fall shouldn't be higher than hers either.

I hope the judges judge the free skate fairly, based on what the skaters actually produce.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
29? Lol. I can't imagine how crushed Nastya must be thinking she's finally getting a break in her career getting away from the Russian figure skating federation and the same or worse still happens.

There is no reason for such a disgraceful score because anastasia is of no threat to the top Russian ladies especially in the free skate where she cannot score within 20 points of them. I mean how many points did that excellent SP finished behind KV? Or Sasha?

Really? The biggest competition of this girl's entire life and they do that to her? Honestly I don't know how she keeps going especially after not having an International competition for 3 full seasons.

Judges should literally lose their jobs over that score of 67 and 29 pcs or at the very least get graded in a way that keeps them off of major competitions. This happens in team sports in America where the officials and referees are graded so only the highest graded officials and referees get to go to the biggest events and these euro judges obviously not should not be at Europeans and I hope they aren't at the Olympics or worlds.
Agreed. She was buried and there was no reason for that. she's clearly a better skater than when she was a junior and getting these scores.

Here's CS 2018 when she got 31.08 PCS for going clean.

I know there's retribution for skaters who ditch Russia, but damn, this was so blatant. It's like it wasn't enough to have Russia ahead, they needed to crush Gubanova for going clean. I mean 6's? WTH, lol.

treblemakerem

On the Ice
Obviously, it is my opinion. I find her short program boring. As for her long program, Bolero is inherently difficult to skate to because it is very repetitious and has few highs and lows. Few skaters have done it justice. Torvill and Dean still hold the Bolero gold standard after all of these years. A skater like Kamila should be working with a top choreographer, not someone who works in-house for all of the skaters in the group. There is a sameness to his programs in terms of dull music and lots of arm waving, twirling and leg kicking. Let me put it this way--if Kamila were skating for Japan or Canada or even China, she would have better programs.
I have never been a fan of her skating but tbh I think it’s at least 90% Dani G’s fault

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
OK, I've arrived home from the roadtrip!

Continuing on

Olga - At first I was a bit creeped out, but this is a really good program.

Josefin - If we start flooding the Swedish Olympic Committee with letters now, will they send her?

The music bar said Tango De Roxanne...I don't think so. But whatever it is it's awesome! Look at that interpretation! Look at that step sequence! :cheer:

The crowd goes wild! Josefin has a big smile on her face, awww!

And apparently she changed from her planned program content. Yeah whoo! Chaotic energy FTW!

Qualified but only 6th with only 28.43 PCS? Not cool judges...

Justice for Josefin!

Eliska - She looks like a disco ball! :) Hey yeah, the original Sweet Dreams let's rock out y'all!

Now it's gone a bit weird, but I'm still feelin' it!

Now it's REALLY weird, but I ain't gonna hate on it :laugh2:

I didn't know Michal's and Eliska's father was a famous skater himself! I want to see, I'll have to go looking on YouTube after this.

Nastya G manages to hold onto the lead though! Only two groups left now! Although I totally saw some of the final standings, whoops.

Skips ahead to Group 5.

Yikes I was a bit confused when I saw comments about Alexandra's knee, but I see it's another Alexandra and wow that knee is a worry.

Nicole - Haven't seen her in quite a while it seems, let's see what she's got.

She's looking good! No 3-3, but that was a cool Tango! You know I love a good Tango! 💃

Viktoriia - I love the dress! I forgot to check her music, but dang it's so familiar...I associate with amazing sports feats shown in slo-mo. It looks like that was the case for Vika here :biggrin:

Not enough for first, but she's in second.

Alexia - More Tango! She's also apparently skating in her nightgown :laugh:

Her face always reminds me of a movie star, but I can't remember which one.

Love the ending! Nicely done!

Simon is still shocked by Vika's score, I wonder how Alexia will go.

Eva-Lotta - Hey is that Benoit over there?

This program is amazingly bizarre, I love it!

Woohoo! Nice combo!

Ugh no pop!

But the PCS for this should be so high! I hope it helps her!

Only 9th though, bummer.

Niina - I don't remember actually seeing her before, so this will be interesting!

Well, a 2-3 is interesting for sure! But as others said she still gets points for it.

Hmm, well not gonna lie I perferred Eva-Lotta more, but it was a pretty good program, nice costume.

Oh dear 11th and Niina looks super upset. It'll be OK Niina! Tomorrow will be better.

Alexandra F - I hope that knee holds up!

It looks like it's not her landing leg though! That's a relief. She looks OK out there.

This program is cute and fun I like it!

Heh finished in the wrong decoration, but that's on-point for a Charlie Chaplin program.

Also I love the little buttons on her costume 🥰

Group 6

As I said I kinda got spoiled for the top three...but there's 6 skaters so...some nail biting moments!

Haha I live how Simon talks over Anna's intro thinking we won't notice his terrible pronunciation. We're onto you, Simon :devil:

Why the f- would they mention coaching changes?! Simon AND the in-rink amnouncer? I'm embarrassed for all of us.

Aww poor Rina falling right on her intro.

:laugh2: Simon was pronouncing Loena correctly and just went back to do it wrongly.

Gulp! Sasha goes first! Apparently she prefers that, so...

No fall :( it looks like she lands it fine then just falls? I guess she has her weight too far back.

I like the step sequence, especially when she pauses at the end to give the judges the eye.

Awww look at the fans!! I love the balloons!

Did someone throw her a chicken? :laugh2:

Always nice to see the Dude with her :)

Big score...

Anna - I actually read about her fall, but I still gasped when she did! She's a good performer though and doesn't let it impact the rest of the program.

More illegal stuffie throwing, the crowd is dancing close to danger!

It's still funny that despite hearing the rink announcer say Shcherbakova he can't pick it up ;)

Katia - Looks like she has a new program.

WTH was that pronouciation of her last name?!

I'm feeling a bit distracted after Sasha and Anna, but Katia is looking good! And look at how happy she is! She's fabulous!

"Cat Amongst the Pigeons" remark! Everyone take a drink? ;)

But to Simon's shock she's in 3rd. Oh well, Katia's happy about it.

Rina - I'm a big fan of her so I want her to do well.

C'mon Rina! :clap:

Also best music and dress.

Her and her parents can be super proud of her!

What place will she be I wonder!

5th! Hooray! (Although she'll still be in the penultimate group)

Kamila - Chasing the butterfly all the way to a new World Record.

Simon you're so weird, if you can 3A, you 3A. Women's skating is no place for the faint of heart!

Ha ha Simon, no-one will beat Kamila, are you high (maybe that's the issue? He's high)

Loena - I saw the big surprise about Loena, how exciting for her!

But look at her go! She's on fire this season at least SP wise!

That sit spin is fascinating, how do they hold their leg out like that?

And the surprise of the event! Loena in 2nd! She gets the small silver and look at everyone's faces in the KnC.

You can still hear them talking over the end there. :biggrin:

Phew! That was quite a ride!

I'm not sure if I'll have any time to catch up on Pairs, I haven't even finished the SP yet!

Ah well, I'll see you guys later at the Rhythm Dance.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I caught up on some stuff I missed yesterday and Kurakova was a highlight for me!

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
I have never been a fan of her skating but tbh I think it’s at least 90% Dani G’s fault
He has managed to find not one but two spectacular pieces of music this season and turn them into mediocre arm-flailing over-stuffed programs. In Memoriam could be sooo goood but nope it's honestly only as good as it is because Kamila is really trying to sell it and it suits her skating. The choreography is very blah and honestly terrible at points. The same goes for Anna's new short. The music is fantastic, but heaven forbid we hold a spiral for more than a second!

Scott512

Record Breaker
Agreed. She was buried and there was no reason for that. she's clearly a better skater than when she was a junior and getting these scores.

Here's CS 2018 when she got 31.08 PCS for going clean.

I know there's retribution for skaters who ditch Russia, but damn, this was so blatant. It's like it wasn't enough to have Russia ahead, they needed to crush Gubanova for going clean. I mean 6's? WTH, lol.
Absolutely no reason for it. Like you said it was very blatant and they didn't even try to hide it. I would never degrade other skaters scores because that creates vitriol. I would say her scores needed to be higher. other girls with clearly lesser skating skills and PCS get much higher scores for skating skills and PCS and is both hysterical and sad.

Jumps are nastyas weakness. But to never see her get rewarded for her strengths is bizarre. Never. I've been posting here for almost 8 years and NG is the only high quality skater I can honestly say who I've never seen get over scored. Lol. And that is rare among the Russian ladies.

I don't think she left Russia Russia left her a few years ago so. she had no choice but to change feds. or retire like many other Russian girls.

It's like you said Nastias a better skater now than in 2018. And that 31.08 PCS must feel like gold now. 29? Lol. Skating skills in the 6s and 7s? Hmmm something's going on. Oh yeah she skated early. ;)

No matter what happens in the free hope Nastya is enjoying her time at Europeans but it's gotta be hard with all the coronavirus restrictions and testing. She is coming off Corona virus a month and a 1/2 ago so it can't be easy. I hope Is that natural immunity from coronavirus is real i and it's cracked up what it's supposed to be it's supposed to be which is much better than the vaccines.
But at least Anastasia is sort of re-establishing herself this season. :) Good luck to her and all the ladies today.

Last edited:
When the quad is disallowed, the triple Axel is king. Valieva did the only successful triple Axel and is now out of sight of the rest. Trusova tried a trip;le Axel and although it was not successful, still she lost only a point or two compared to other skaters who did a double.

That out of the way, now it's quad time. The three Russian ladies will far outstrip the field, even Hendrix.

skaket023

Rinkside
It's so sad to see Anna's score after bombing the short. If she's hurt, which I think she is, adding the mental anguish of everyone saying she's receiving undeserved marks is gonna sap her confidence.

Is it really worth it for Russia to drag her across the finish line? Her Olympic medal will always be qualified with the announcer adding, "Many people felt it was undeserved."

Dawn825

Medalist
Or what? Do you think they wouldn't send the current world champion to the Olympics? And she will podium anyway.
I too dont think theres any way Anna is left off the Olympic team unless she pulls herself out.
Judges on olys wont be so pro russians.
Why not? The Russian ladies have not lost to anyone but each other this season. Why would this change at the last second? Just because fans want it to?
especially when she is no worse than Valieva
Mental gymnastics trying to turn that English into English 😂 It's hard to see some of the things the author is talking about - Kamila's twizzles are on flat edges but Sasha's are not? They look the same to me. And it looks to me tha Kamila's loop is actually made in a circle, while Sasha rises to her toe pick at some point. Perhaps neither of them is the gold standard of comparison in the ladies field for ice dancer quality edges, but idk who is.
Also as the author pointed out, Sasha put her foot down immediately after the twizzle. She does that after almost every turn and every jump landing. While Kamila holds almost every single turn and landing edge for that extra half a second, in a nice effortless position. The quality of her glide and carriage are still better than Trusova's.
Is it really worth it for Russia to drag her across the finish line? Her Olympic medal will always be qualified with the announcer adding, "Many people felt it was undeserved."
Thats not how they announce Adelina when they show her on TV 😂 People outside Russia will say whatever they want. But at home Anna will be hero, not to mention thousands of dollars richer, for a medal of any color.

Scott512

Record Breaker
It's so sad to see Anna's score after bombing the short. If she's hurt, which I think she is, adding the mental anguish of everyone saying she's receiving undeserved marks is gonna sap her confidence.

Anna? All she does is win win win for 3 freakin years. She won more than sasha and aliona and a lot more than Liza. Don't take her off the Olympic team unless somebody blew the doors off and blew her away. Remember Anna entered the season clearly as the Russian number one. I think she dropped to number 2 after the season KV has had some people think Anna is number 3 now but if she goes past sasha today which is possible Anna moves back to the number 2 spot.

That's the reality of the matter just like if Anna bombs today for some reason and does not not podium then there is an issue just like if she's injured. Then there could be a skate off but is there really any time for a skate off? the Olympics are 3 weeks away?

Scott512

Record Breaker
When is the ladies FS? There's no thread for it yet.
I was looking for it too and the replies in that thread will be even more than the short program in my opinion.

And they have to be skating by now it's afternoon in Estonia.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Trusova with her atrocious posture and nonexistent musical interpretation being scored above the exquisite Hendrickx in PCS is absolutely abhorrent and criminal.

lesnar001

Record Breaker
Anybody in the USA - the Ladies LP is on "E! Network" between 1:30pm-3:30pm EST.
Which I assume will be the final 2 groups.

This is what my on-screen TV guide tells me. Apparently "NBC Sports" doesn't exist anymore, and both USA Network and E! Network have been showing skating when it is not on NBC in prime-time.